closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Indeed, the French were a right set of powder puffs. On a different tack, it was really f****** hilarious sad to see those miserable German fans earlier . . .
    Ok go easy, my grandad was Otto Herman Wiele. Although I always support the opposing team[as he did and was Mentioned in dispatches.]

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’m expecting them to be frightened of Tunisia tomorrow for a start and probably every other team they play!

I do think that with Germany losing and Brazil looking shaky, the smaller teams are going to be a little more confident that they can cause an upset!

Dave, I think you might be overlooking the fact that England have only lost twice under Southgate - once to Germany (who they have also beaten) and once to Brazil. Providing they play possession football from the back and keep their shape, then opportunities to score will come.

They have nothing to fear except a lack of confidence (and Spain/Portugal, France, Germany and Brazil) and penality shoot outs

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    No rugby players, that's for sure. But the Brazilian defender was pushed away on a decisive moment.

M
    Would it have been given as a penalty if it was the other way round, answer no.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Would it have been given as a penalty if it was the other way round, answer no.
    true

Just watched ‘The Impossible Job’ not a bad show about the England managers since 66, Christ the Keegan admisssion still gets me to this day and the fact he still doesn’t talk about it or any other England boss is admirable...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Just watched ‘The Impossible Job’ not a bad show about the England managers since 66, Christ the Keegan admisssion still gets me to this day and the fact he still doesn’t talk about it or any other England boss is admirable...
    Allardyce wasn’t bitter at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    I know it's still very early days in the competition,but i honestly haven't seen any team that England need to be frightened of.
    Yeah. This time will be different.

🤣🤣🤣
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

A few thoughts from the matches so far - the final third and finishing in general has been quite poor by most (apart from Spain). The Mexico game was a good example - they should have scored more. I put this down to lack of sharpness with most not playing competitively for around a month.

Lets see if there are improvements in the second round of games, otherwise I can't see anyone beating Spain. Hopefully England and Belgium can show up tomorrow - the latter especially have so much talent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    A few thoughts from the matches so far - the final third and finishing in general has been quite poor by most (apart from Spain). The Mexico game was a good example - they should have scored more. I put this down to lack of sharpness with most not playing competitively for around a month.

Lets see if there are improvements in the second round of games, otherwise I can't see anyone beating Spain. Hopefully England and Belgium can show up tomorrow - the latter especially have so much talent.
    http://www.sportbible.com/football/n...corts-20180606

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post

Spain have certainly looked the strongest so far. Followed by Mexico (but Mexico will struggle to keep that press and energy for the whole tournament)

Brazil and Germany may be doing an Italian slow start.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Dave, I think you might be overlooking the fact that England have only lost twice under Southgate - once to Germany (who they have also beaten) and once to Brazil. Providing they play possession football from the back and keep their shape, then opportunities to score will come. :
    History tells us friendlies and "easy" qualifiers aren't good indicators of how England will perform at the finals. Remember England had a great win in Germany not long before Euro 2016 and look how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post

Brazil and Germany may be doing an Italian slow start.
    I certainly don’t see it as anything other than a blip and would be shocked if either team failed to get through to the knockout stages.

I certainly don’t see it as anything other than a blip and would be shocked if either team failed to get through to the knockout stages.
    Unfortunately that also seems to be Joachim Löw's conclusion. 'We had difficulties in the first half and failed to score in the second', was his summary of the game. I am afraid that team and management are complacent, they won't realise how difficult this can become until they fail to win against Sweden, which will prove to be too late.

Remember how France did in 2002? I am scared.

Master
    It's not how you start it's how you finish. Despite playing the best football, Spain only got a point.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Unfortunately that also seems to be Joachim Löw's conclusion. 'We had difficulties in the first half and failed to score in the second', was his summary of the game. I am afraid that team and management are complacent, they won't realise how difficult this can become until they fail to win against Sweden, which will prove to be too late.

Remember how France did in 2002? I am scared.
    The arrogance of Germany and Low is staggering. I think most teams need a shake up after winning the World Cup - the world moves on and you need a nice mix of hungry players. Leaving Sane out of the squad has only been one silly decision in a long line of issues IMO.

Blog Entries
    I was amazed to see the body language of the 'Mannschaft'. Normally, when things don't go to plan, the players take it up another notch (or two, three). And the last tournaments showed that the Mannschaft had staminae and pure physical endurance. I didn't see it; yesterday showed: head down, hand going through the hair; theatrical moves... (we hadn't seen that since the period of Lothar Mattheus!). It looks as if this generation is getting older (Gomes, Ozil, Kroos) and that experience wasn't enough to get them through the game. Having said that, big chance that they will recover quickly - as a result of their experience.

Menno

Mannschaft, my a£$3. This ain't no team.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    It made me think how many penalty shoot outs we have lost, dodgy decisions and a couple of goalkeeping stinkers that have costs us. Strangely it has generally not been about being outplayed as such.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    It made me think how many penalty shoot outs we have lost, dodgy decisions and a couple of goalkeeping stinkers that have costs us. Strangely it has generally not been about being outplayed as such.
    Still - worth trading all those for one dodgy Russian linesman surely

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Not being able to win on penalties cost us massively in the 1990s when we probably deserved to be in 2 international finals and could've picked up 1 or 2 titles. And we had a great team in 98 too so who knows how far they could've gone?

It's very hard to win anything in international football if you can't win the odd game on penalties and I think our record is 1 shootout won in 8 or 9 attempts.

Saying that the more recent losses on penalties have probably been deserved based on the performance of the team in normal time.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Still - worth trading all those for one dodgy Russian linesman surely
    Don't get me started. My birth year, as well.

Strictly only for German speakers: https://www.facebook.com/ransport/vi...6623735339448/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Not being able to win on penalties cost us massively in the 1990s when we probably deserved to be in 2 international finals and could've picked up 1 or 2 titles. And we had a great team in 98 too so who knows how far they could've gone?

It's very hard to win anything in international football if you can't win the odd game on penalties and I think our record is 1 shootout won in 8 or 9 attempts.

Saying that the more recent losses on penalties have probably been deserved based on the performance of the team in normal time.
    It did make me go back and watch Stuart Pearce's penalty at Euro 96 vs Spain. I reckon the whole country was holding their breathe willing him on. I was on the piss in Blackpool with mates for that match and we watched it in a pub. Pretty sure I had a tear in my eye as that pen went in.

Master
    Belgium set no heather on fire. Had Panama taken 1 of several chances the flattering scoreline could've been very different.

Blog Entries
    Finally, home, Surinam take-away and MOTD, good luck guys!
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    Oh, btw, De Bruyne was totally not at ease on the position he played, waste of this fabulous player.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Sat on a train having to watch it on iplayer, sigh...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

1-0

This could be a rugby score yet!

ENGLAND playing brightly but this Tunisia team have got no shape - they look all over the place

Master
    Strong start. If your chances fall to Kane rather than Sterling, you'll have much more hope!

Would be great to finally see a big score for England in a group game...

Craftsman
    Lingard thinking too much. Great cross.

What the hell was Walker thinking about there?

Master
    Clumsy but harsh for my money.

Here we go!

Here we go!
    You know it...

That was a blatant elbow, no conspiracy theories needed, what an idiot, and now Ali going off injured.
    I feel sorry for Southgate there, nothing you can do to legislate for stupidity...

I have no idea how Tunisia are back in this game. It should have been GG after 15 minutes. Funny old game.

The Man City players have been absolute dogshite. England should be ahead

Three minutes added time! Are you avin a Giraffe?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The Man City players have been absolute dogshite. England should be ahead
    Ryan, it should have been 4-0 after 15 minutes.....

Master
    Not sure how sterling missed that. Even if it was offside leading to it, he doesn't fill me with confidence. Rashford needs an extended run out.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Have to say that Kane getting rugby tackled in the box, well I thought that was what VAR was brought in for?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I just can’t wait for the first Scotland match of the World Cup

I am involved in a business with some Dutch guys, they keep sending emails and text messages in complete disregard of the world cup. Some people...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I just can’t wait for the first Scotland match of the World Cup
    I'm afraid you're far too old to live to see that.

Craftsman
    And another wrestle Kane moment.

Master
    V poor crossing from England.

Bring on Rashford I say!.

England should have had 2 penalties by now......................

(and thats coming from a Welshman!).