closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 1594

Thread: World Cup 2018 discussion thread

Master
    I bet Hood thought this thread was bear pit.

Blog Entries
    Fantastic stuff, Croatia should be a walk-over, they are so tired they’ll never recover in time ;). My dream final still possible, England-Belgium it is then.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Fantastic stuff, Croatia should be a walk-over, they are so tired they’ll never recover in time ;). My dream final still possible, England-Belgium it is then.
    I’m not sure they’ll get past France Daddel!

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    There was another subtle one today Ben . Martin Keown , after the commentator was eulogising over Maguire.
    " One of the big clubs will be in for him after this "
    To be fair the commentator pulled him on his view saying Leicester were a big club , but it still gives you a little insight into opinion and bias.
    Plus, I like Vardy. If the proper City signed him I'd have him down for 50 + per season

For MCWFC 
    What constitutes a big club? I'd say they need sustained success to be considered 'big'.

Craftsman
    Sterling played well today as did Macguire, pickford and Trippier.

I originally was a Sterling detractor, but his running today was immense and he did a great job.

Now to beat Croatia!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What constitutes a big club? I'd say they need sustained success to be considered 'big'.
    Well they won the premier recently. Got to think that counts considering who they outlasted in that title race ....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Sterling played well today as did Macguire, pickford and Trippier.

I originally was a Sterling detractor, but his running today was immense and he did a great job.

Now to beat Croatia!
    Nothing rashford wouldn’t have done. Sterling lacks an end product. Squandered opportunities today and lacked the vision to pass when it was not on for him. Anyone can run around and draw defenders, he lacks the end product. Should give rashford a go.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Well they won the premier recently. Got to think that counts considering who they outlasted in that title race ....
    One good season doesn't make them a big club. How long will they remain a big club based on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    One good season doesn't make them a big club. How long will they remain a big club based on that?
    These days the term big club has little relevance outside of the size of the owners cheque book sadly. As example if it was based on passion, loyalty and fan base etc then Newcastle would be classed as a big club. But are they? Not sure. Depends what criteria you use to define the term.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    These days the term big club has little relevance outside of the size of the owners cheque book sadly. As example if it was based on passion, loyalty and fan base etc then Newcastle would be classed as a big club. But are they? Not sure. Depends what criteria you use to define the term.

Newcastle nope, nowhere near.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Nothing rashford wouldn’t have done. Sterling lacks an end product. Squandered opportunities today and lacked the vision to pass when it was not on for him. Anyone can run around and draw defenders, he lacks the end product. Should give rashford a go.
    I thought Sterling was a key player for us today. Scared the cr*p out of the Swedish defence and opened them up for others to deliver the end product. I like Rashford but I don't think he would have had the same impact.

From football 365:

"We do need to talk about Sterling’s finishing again. There are those who will deliberately overlook – or maybe just not notice – Sterling’s movement for England. More than any other attacking player, it is his runs off the ball that create space for teammates and himself. He was excellent at it against Sweden.

Whatever you might think and no matter how many times people boo his name in pubs up and down the land, Sterling is an excellent footballer. But his finishing for England is the weakest aspect of his game. Having got into excellent areas, he lacks the confidence or clarity of thought to add the accomplished finish.

Whether that confidence has been battered by the media treatment that Sterling referred to pre-tournament is open to interpretation and opinion, but you would be a fool to think that Sterling’s missed chances mean he should not be in this team. Thankfully, Southgate gets it:

“In the last five or six games, with the change of system, he has been key. His movement, his ability to run at teams from deep, his inter-changing of position with the other forward players is very important.”

And Pep Guardiola gets it:

“Sometimes we judge him on ‘he missed that goal, he missed that shot,’ but the amount of actions he creates, assists, he creates fouls, penalties… His understanding of the game is global: he can create inside, outside, dribbling, runs in behind.”

And Raymond Domenech gets it, apparently:

C’est Sterling qu’il faut protéger pour les Anglais il est le dynamiteur l’accélérateur de cette équipe , pas Dele Ali

— Raymond Domenech (@RaymondDomenech)*July 7, 2018

LINK

Some people just can't help themselves, 'the beautiful game' my touchas..
    Last edited by VDG; 8th July 2018 at 06:25.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post

LINK

Some people just can't help themselves, 'the beautiful game' my touchas..
    Is not the game that's the problem, its how such things are handled by the authorities. Let's make Britain Great again!

https://youtu.be/kAB6rCFh_KQ
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

World Cup 2018 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Is not the game that's the problem, its how such things are handled by the authorities. Let's make Britain Great again!

https://youtu.be/kAB6rCFh_KQ
    Never could understand the mentality of clambering all over an ambulance - just seems a step more in the toostupidtotieyourownlaces direction than just high jinx.

Handled a bit OTT by the Russian authorities in the 2nd incident (and not English involved) however but if you’re in a strange land always best to assume that’ll be the treatment if you act like a total Ahole. (I know they are separate incidents but related topics. We don’t want English fans on the wrong end of those batons).

Fan behaviour seems to have been excellent in the tournament so far though.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 8th July 2018 at 08:13.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    I thought Sterling was a key player for us today. Scared the cr*p out of the Swedish defence and opened them up for others to deliver the end product. I like Rashford but I don't think he would have had the same impact.

From football 365:

"We do need to talk about Sterling’s finishing again. There are those who will deliberately overlook – or maybe just not notice – Sterling’s movement for England. More than any other attacking player, it is his runs off the ball that create space for teammates and himself. He was excellent at it against Sweden.

Whatever you might think and no matter how many times people boo his name in pubs up and down the land, Sterling is an excellent footballer. But his finishing for England is the weakest aspect of his game. Having got into excellent areas, he lacks the confidence or clarity of thought to add the accomplished finish.

Whether that confidence has been battered by the media treatment that Sterling referred to pre-tournament is open to interpretation and opinion, but you would be a fool to think that Sterling’s missed chances mean he should not be in this team. Thankfully, Southgate gets it:

“In the last five or six games, with the change of system, he has been key. His movement, his ability to run at teams from deep, his inter-changing of position with the other forward players is very important.”

And Pep Guardiola gets it:

“Sometimes we judge him on ‘he missed that goal, he missed that shot,’ but the amount of actions he creates, assists, he creates fouls, penalties… His understanding of the game is global: he can create inside, outside, dribbling, runs in behind.”

And Raymond Domenech gets it, apparently:

C’est Sterling qu’il faut protéger pour les Anglais il est le dynamiteur l’accélérateur de cette équipe , pas Dele Ali

— Raymond Domenech (@RaymondDomenech)*July 7, 2018
    I still don't get it. Wasted numerous golden opportunities and does not look like scoring. He seems to be on a different wavelength to the rest of the team too, so not as if he created much for others.

Better to keep him on the bench as an impact player. Look how effective Douglas Costa was coming on when defenders were tired for Brazil against Belgium - he's probably a more polished version of Sterling

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I still don't get it. Wasted numerous golden opportunities and does not look like scoring. He seems to be on a different wavelength to the rest of the team too, so not as if he created much for others.

Better to keep him on the bench as an impact player. Look how effective Douglas Costa was coming on when defenders were tired for Brazil against Belgium - he's probably a more polished version of Sterling
    Completely agree with this. He has shown many times for England he is not the player many think he is. He lacks the end product which is pretty critical for his role! Anyone can run around and draw defenders away. He also showed his mind isn’t as sharp as others by failing to lay off the ball and create a goal, instead he lingered on the ball and lost possession at a key time/opportunity.

i took my son wakeboarding yesterday and whilst there overheard a rather large and tattooed millennial (women) who wax watching the football, screech

"I love football I do, really love it, England are still winning 2 zero" before busting into "it's coming home, it's coming home"

Even my son, who really doesn't give a rats about football, rolled his eyes.

I watched the highlights last night and thought they played really well. As for Sterling. I would still have him in the team - purely for comedy value.
    Last edited by Andyg; 8th July 2018 at 11:06.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

The double edged side to this is the idiotic England fans invading Ikea yesterday and sadly it's nailed on that if we get to the final and play France/Belgium and lose then this moronic minority will attack French people/restaurants or Belgian chocolate places as sadly that's what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The double edged side to this is the idiotic England fans invading Ikea yesterday and sadly it's nailed on that if we get to the final and play France/Belgium and lose then this moronic minority will attack French people/restaurants or Belgian chocolate places as sadly that's what happens.
    Sadly the morons will do it win OR lose, any excuse really.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Khm... Khm...

We shall see bout that....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Quick !
    Get on the blower to the FA and let them know your remarkable insight.
    I'm sure that Southgate hasn't spotted that Sterling just runs around . 😂

Craftsman
    Come on England - it will be hilarious if a pub team gets to the world cup final !
    It will stick it in the eye of all the continental European teams that think they are more sophisticated and better than England. Come on lads do it for BREXIT !

Craftsman
    At least it has stopped the average English football fan from nicking your car, breaking into your house or eating their own children.

What if England loses against France? Will the French fans storm all the English restaurants around France?

The Polish supermarkets and Korean shops are probably worried about Wednesday’s result now too...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Picture removed - unsuitable for G&D

Master
    I don’t enjoy watching football, but appreciate that for others it is a huge part of their lives.

I commented to my wife mid afternoon yesterday, that at least the small minority of fans who seem intent on utter stupidity hadn’t reared their ugly heads. Only to awake this morning to see the ikea and ambulance photos.

I bet the parent of that chavette standing on the car were hugely proud when / if they see it. Disgusting behaviour by the few, how can they survive in life really being that ignorant and stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I don’t enjoy watching football, but appreciate that for others it is a huge part of their lives.

I commented to my wife mid afternoon yesterday, that at least the small minority of fans who seem intent on utter stupidity hadn’t reared their ugly heads. Only to awake this morning to see the ikea and ambulance photos.

I bet the parent of that chavette standing on the car were hugely proud when / if they see it. Disgusting behaviour by the few, how can they survive in life really being that ignorant and stupid.

Continuing the proud British tradition of celebrating success by damaging other people’s stuff. If Hamilton wins the F1 today, I’m going round my mates house and smashing it up with a cricket bat.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Quick !
    Get on the blower to the FA and let them know your remarkable insight.
    I'm sure that Southgate hasn't spotted that Sterling just runs around . 
    Sterling has got to split fans more than anyone else.
    Myself; I prefer someone who is not scared to try and do things.
    England started too slow with only sterling seemed to be able to up the pace of the game.

No doubt his lack of finishing makes him the most frustrating of players and i do fear for the abuse he would get if he misses a sitter and we go out.

Start with sterling and finish with rashford would be how i would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Toxic combination of nanny state and infinite second chances justice system. I would be surprised if that woman or any of the yobs are to be prosecuted. Now, If she would left a note asking paramedics move their 'van' she would've been hunted down by a platoon of armed plod and dragged before the judge. #idiocy
    Last edited by VDG; 8th July 2018 at 14:09.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master

There's always a place for accuracy. ;-)
    Sadly, this means football will never come home. :-(

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    Continuing the proud British tradition of celebrating success by damaging other people’s stuff. If Hamilton wins the F1 today, I’m going round my mates house and smashing it up with a cricket bat.

That’s going to happen today

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post

’Twa’ sixpences to get in, the gate would have been low!
    Last edited by KavKav; 8th July 2018 at 14:56.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    ’Twa’ sixpences to get in, the gate would have been low!
    Ah but west-enders are loaded. ;-)

Only 15 years after the worlds oldest club was formed.

www.sheffieldfc.com/history

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post

No argument about being home of club football. ;-)

In order to have international football, one must first have football.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Toxic combination of nanny state and infinite second chances justice system. I would be surprised if that woman or any of the yobs are to be prosecuted. Now, If she would left a note asking paramedics move their 'van' she would've been hunted down by a platoon of armed plod and dragged before the judge. #idiocy

And most likely to have voted remain because all the old farts were in bed

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    In order to have international football, one must first have football.
    Confucius or Buddha? ;-)

Master

From benchwarmers

‘How did it happen, Dad?”

"It hadn't rained in 2 months, nobody was going to work, everyone was at bbq's all day then in kitchens all night. The English had never seen such a summer. It was the best World Cup anyone had ever witnessed, the Germans and the Argies went out early. People finally started to believe. The economy was a mess, there were bush fires in the north, Winter hill burned as Danny Dyer called David Cameron a rude name on live TV, Harry Kane was scoring for fun and Harry Maguire was dribbling out from the back like he was Maldini's younger long lost brother. It was the perfect storm. Civilisation was so finely balanced. Then..."

"Then what, Dad?"

"Then, son, football came home"

Master
    Lol. V good.

Confucius or Buddha? ;-)
    Wish I had the knowledge to go for either, to be honest.
    Plus, I think my grammar was possibly off...?
    ..."first, one must have football' sounds better maybe. 🙂

Anyway, it's still coming home. 👍🏻

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    Khm... Khm...

We shall see bout that....
    Sorry mate, but there was a winky at the end...
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post

Oldest surviving club - Edinburgh had the the first recorded club (many Scots would say that's basically England!)

It’s a world game, that’s what makes it so great.

That said, there is a reason why every country has a named national Football Association (e.g. the Scottish FA) which is affiliated with the international bodies such as FIFA which organises the World Cup, and IFAB, which sets the rules, whereas in England we have The Football Association.

Of course if England win, I’m sure all England fans would be delighted to share the enjoyment with everyone in our home country of the United Kingdom, just like we all do when Andy Murray wins the tennis or Rory McIlroy the golf.

And after those morons - Vida and Vokosomthing stunt Russkies are almost certainly will cheer for England
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I’ve been away for a little over a week but have now returned home and can confirm that in general Colombians are not the best losers.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Sent from the swamp using smoke signals and black magic

Blog Entries
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!