timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018 discussion thread

Master
    I think you'll get 7 or 8 here.... ;-)

Call no man happy till he's dead.

Yes!! Taste it you dirty bar stewards!

We’re level with Belgium on goal difference now, could be three or four ahead by the end of the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    We’re level with Belgium on goal difference now, could be three or four ahead by the end of the game!
    Games obviously done. Big question is.... do you want to win the group or is coming 2nd an easier route ?

Not use to this, half time normally rather nervous rather than big smile, probably
    going to be disappointed if we don’t get a couple more in the 2nd half.

Talking

Southgate with be thinking exactly that now - put the pressure back on Belgium.

Incredible game, let's see how it goes!

Won’t make a diff, but poorly defended that

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Won’t make a diff, but poorly defended that
    They’ve certainly looked a bit fragile at the back on occasion. Against decent opposition they could’ve easily conceded three or four.

Not getting too excited. Like others have said, a few cracks showing despite poor opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Not getting too excited. Like others have said, a few cracks showing despite poor opposition.

During 90 minutes of play there's always going to be a crack- even the best teams suffer from the odd lapse. For once it's good to see us keep up the tempo and get the job done. Panama were there to be beaten and we did that well.

Craftsman
    Super Harry Kane!!! (I’ve got £20 at 16/1 for golden boot) He’s one of our own.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    During 90 minutes of play there's always going to be a crack- even the best teams suffer from the odd lapse. For once it's good to see us keep up the tempo and get the job done. Panama were there to be beaten and we did that well.
    Yep, I’m not taking anything away from what is a great win but I’ll not get excited until we’ve played like that against better opposition.

Yep, I’m not taking anything away from what is a great win but I’ll not get excited until we’ve played like that against better opposition.
    Well said its always easy when you've been starved of any kind of footie success or make up trophies such as the Rous Cup just to add some silverware to the FA's display cabinet.I had a chat with Paul Breitner many moons ago,a Man who scored goals in not one but 2 World Cup Final games He said the main difference between England and Germany was that if England win against Germany,they have peaked and the exhilaration is overwhelming,if its the other way round,its just another victory that means nothing until something is achieved.The Boys did great but Southgate will keep them grounded and they all appear to get on which is great to see.

Craftsman
    It’s a shame he didn’t bring on Rashford for a little runout to gain some gameplay experience (I’m not a Utd fan). Although he might be intending to start him against Belgium which would be nice to see.

I went into this World Cup with minimal expectations for England just hoping they make it out the group games, which has now been achieved.

Also, what a World Cup it has been so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper85 View Post
    It’s a shame he didn’t bring on Rashford for a little runout to gain some gameplay experience (I’m not a Utd fan). Although he might be intending to start him against Belgium which would be nice to see.

I went into this World Cup with minimal expectations for England just hoping they make it out the group games, which has now been achieved.

Also, what a World Cup it has been so far!
    Rashford will play v Belgium

I doubt the Belgium game will tell us much either. Both teams will manage their squads ahead of the last 16- neither will fear any team in the last 16 though. Winning these awkward games are in many ways more important from an England perspective - it is where we've stumbled in recent years let alone worrying about the business end of tournaments....

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I doubt the Belgium game will tell us much either. Both teams will manage their squads ahead of the last 16
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post
    Super Harry Kane!!! (I’ve got £20 at 16/1 for golden boot) He’s one of our own.

A breath of fresh air, amongst all the prima-donnas too.

I wanted England to fire 10 past the goalie, and ignore the cheating Panamanians at the end.

(Obviously don't want England to win the tournament, though - would never hear the end of it....................... )

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    A breath of fresh air, amongst all the prima-donnas too.

I wanted England to fire 10 past the goalie, and ignore the cheating Panamanians at the end.

(Obviously don't want England to win the tournament, though - would never hear the end of it....................... )
    They haven’t won it before though have they?

I don’t fancy our chances if we come up against an in-form Colombia in the next round!

Craftsman
    Win or lose; it’s the most an England squad have entertained me for a long time!

Not sure who has been the worst team this world cup- Saudi Arabia, Panama or Poland

I don’t fancy our chances if we come up against an in-form Colombia in the next round!
    I don't fancy my chances of having a quiet evening.

Wow that was a great match to watch, well done Columbia!

Quote Originally Posted by Guido-K View Post
    Win or lose; it’s the most an England squad have entertained me for a long time!
    Yes I think the word is freedom - they are playing with a freedom that suggests they don’t feel any pressure of expectation, and the media hasn’t been toxic this tournament (yet)

So we're right on track to lose to Germany on penalties in the quarters then?

Traditional innit

Win or lose some people (presumably to the west or north) will always without fail find a reason to winge about England. Of course commentators in the other home nations would never ever show any bias or enthusiasm for their teams.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.i...331.html%3famp

Blog Entries
    The use of 'we' when winning is common over here; when losing it's 'they' of course.

The use of 'we' is so far-reaching here that even the smallest child uses it. No problem. I think that it's a healthy dose of solidarity without being accused of patriotism or worse. If you don't allow the 'we' form, you cannot say 'England' as well (which is a metonym). Then, you should always refer to 'the-group-of-eleven-plus-substitutes-who-re-wearing-a-jersey-remotely-related-to-England's-colours-... etc. Nonsense. It's 'we', same as other countries.

M

Iran are starting to look promising!
    I can’t really see them winning but they’re certainly making it uncomfortable for Portugal!

Master
    Then boom - brilliant goal.

Blog Entries
    I am watching the other game. Slaughterhouse. Attack on legs from both sides. 4x yellow for Marocco, but certainly Pique needed a yellow as well.

Blog Entries
    ... uh, no-one watched the Russia - Uruguay game? If you haven't seen this: both POR and SPA do not want to meet URU in the next round... URU was waaays ahead of RUS this afternoon! Football lesson.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ... uh, no-one watched the Russia - Uruguay game? If you haven't seen this: both POR and SPA do not want to meet URU in the next round... URU was waaays ahead of RUS this afternoon! Football lesson.

Menno
    Didn’t see it but was listening to the commentary. Both Spain and Portugal definitely need to finish top tonight!

Blog Entries
    URU was not on my shortlist for the title, but that has changed. No team wants to go up against them early on. No goals against them in three games. And Suarez is still a very shrewd player. I spotted 4 stars on their chests. Granted, a long time ago, but still...

M

Blog Entries
    Sergio Ramos...

...Not as good as he thinks he is.

z

Master
    That's a crazy end to both those evening matches. Spain were heading out to a dubious VAR penalty, but end up winning group! They must be glad to avoid Uruguay.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

VAR was a complete farce tonight; there’s clearly more work needed.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    That's a crazy end to both those evening matches. Spain were heading out to a dubious VAR penalty, but end up winning group! They must be glad to avoid Uruguay.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
    Who said VAR would be bad for the game, the drama is insane

Offside rule - any goal legal goal scoring part of the body that is offside would ruled an offside, right? I swear the head of the Spanish player at the end was off. Also the ref should have made the Spanish retake the corner - he indicated from the other side and was in total confusion himself by the quick corner.

Dunno about the Iranian penalty either - but they should have scored at the end to put Portugal out! Portugal vs Uruguay will be tasty, Ronaldo will need to be better as Portugal are rubbish and are the definition of a one man team.

Master
    Var is pointless when refs are clueless. Too many minor league refs in tournament.

Blog Entries
    Just in: GER suspends two staff members for the next match as a result of the brawl against SWE.

Menno

Blog Entries
    Long live Harry Kane!
    May Ronaldo perish in the next round, I soooooo don’t like Portugal play, it’s a disgrace for football in general, out with the lot of them.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Long live Harry Kane!
    May Ronaldo perish in the next round, I soooooo don’t like Portugal play, it’s a disgrace for football in general, out with the lot of them.
    2006, POR - NED: 1-0, 16 yellow cards, 4 red cards...

Master
    W Germany v Holland, 1990. Only 6 players should've been left on each side by the end!

Blog Entries
    With a yellow for Lothar Mattheus. Which is always good. That man is not very popular here...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    With a yellow for Lothar Mattheus. Which is always good. That man is not very popular here...
    But a fantastic player. Second only to Beckenbauer IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    So we're right on track to lose to Germany on penalties in the quarters then?
    Fun fact of the day: there has only ever been one single World Cup penalty shoot-out between England and German (1990). There was also only one European Championship penalty shoot-out between the two (1996). Coincidentally, Germany went on to lift both respective titles...

Besides against Germany, England have also lost shoot-outs against Argentina (1998), Portugal (2004, 2006)) and Italy (2012); and won against Spain (1996).
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Who said VAR would be bad for the game, the drama is insane

Dunno about the Iranian penalty either - but they should have scored at the end to put Portugal out! Portugal vs Uruguay will be tasty, Ronaldo will need to be better as Portugal are rubbish and are the definition of a one man team.
    It’s not exactly helping the football

No way was it a penalty, guy heads it on to his arm from about 1 foot away, so you have a ref
    who doesn’t know the rules and someone running the VAR who presumably doesn’t either.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Fun fact of the day: there has only ever been one single World Cup penalty shoot-out between England and German (1990). There was also only one European Championship penalty shoot-out between the two (1996). Coincidentally, Germany went on to lift both respective titles...

Besides against Germany, England have also lost shoot-outs against Argentina (1998), Portugal (2004, 2006)) and Italy (2012); and won against Spain (1996).
    Now to hope the England squad have practised penalties like Kane has. He has easily taken two of the best penalties of the World Cup. Unstoppable.

If the team have, then this penalty outcome could change.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that may well be true, but the oldest player of all, 45, made the best penalty save ;)

#Ronaldohasanuglybigadam'sapple
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!