closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How close to the wind do you sail.......

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I learned not to be impressed by the cars people drive around in many years ago. Most people grow out of it eventually........sadly some never do.

Best luxury in life is not having to work, I managed to achieve that several years ago. I’d rather have an old car and a lie in every morning!

Aim to get out if debt as soon as possible, pay your mortgage off as early as you can. Frankly if I was 50 and still owed a lot I’d be concerned, having a fancy car would be well down my priorities list.

Paul
    I'd join you tomorrow if somebody came along with a decent offer.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I'd join you tomorrow if somebody came along with a decent offer.

Eddie
    You'd only get bored Eddie!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    I learned not to be impressed by the cars people drive around in many years ago. Most people grow out of it eventually........sadly some never do.

Best luxury in life is not having to work, I managed to achieve that several years ago. I’d rather have an old car and a lie in every morning!

Aim to get out if debt as soon as possible, pay your mortgage off as early as you can. Frankly if I was 50 and still owed a lot I’d be concerned, having a fancy car would be well down my priorities list.

Paul
    What is there to grow out of? Some people actually like cars and motorcycles, and like to spend their money on something that gives them pleasure..

Others like going to work, and get a lot of satisfaction from it.

I'm Lucky that we are a DINK (Duel Income No Kids) household with no cars or any long term finance (so no sky or anything like that) and we earn above average salaries* but don't live in an expensive area.

Without getting political in the pub, I'm not overly confident about the next few years so am sticking it away and taking on extra work (my contract allows me to do consultancy for cash).

* Real world not Tz-uk salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    You'd only get bored Eddie!
    Trust me, there's lots I want to do.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    I'm in my forties, earn a decent wage and put 30% of my income in saving every month. Very occasionally manage to save 40%. I do like my wee trinkets, but only buy them if I can pay them off in my next billing cycle. I don't keep more than a month's money within easy access, I'd rather it is earning something rather than giving the banks extra cash. Only debt I have is my mortgage on a property which is rented out. Touchwood, never had to dip into my saving for anything.
    Certainly my upbringing was a factor in this - we were taught never to waste money, wasting food was a hanging crime.

Arrived in the UK 15 years ago and till I got a job lived on £200/month, things were a lot cheaper then! Still have a wind cheater that I bought for £ 15, which was a week's food budget back then.
    Not interested in a fancy car, my car is 8 years old and has 97K on the clock, will need to get another one at some point & I'm dreading the prospect of spending that kind of dosh. Wife who earns more than I is careful with money too. Between the two of us we have enough for us. A boy in private education doesn't help saving!
    My idea of a holiday is visiting folks and friends back in India. I don't see the need or the point of a weekend break to Paris or Lanzarote!

Don't get me wrong, I do buy nice things (not clothes) eat well (home cooked) and make sure my family want for nothing. I can be frugal on certain things and splurge on others but I'm in control.
    While I see the point of people who live for the day. I don't get how people deal with the stress of living pay check to pay check, I'll have a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    There is no magic solution, however what worked for me was

Save up before you spend.
    Don't be afraid to go secondhand or find "bargains" off EBay (etc).
    Don't go mad on holidays.
    Don't develope any bad habits.
    Pay off your credit cards every month.
    Keep planning ahead.
    Find a secure job, work hard and keep your head down.

With the money saved, split it in to two categories. One you keep in an offset mortgage, so is easily accessible, but still try to pay it off as quickly as possible, and one you invest in your pension (assuming of course you intend to live beyond 55). Plus it's a efficient tax vehicle

Worked for me - retired last year at 57 and donot intend to touch my pension for at least another 2 years.

Best of luck.
    +1
    We are definitely at the sensible end of spectrum. We keep about 6-9 months worth of net salary in a cash mortgage offset account. Work hard to try to get enough bonus to allow me to pay the maximum allowed into pensions each year. Also paying off a mortgage on an investment property as well as overpaying a bit on current mortgage but not too much as it’s a sub 1% tracker. No car finance - our two fairly ordinary cars are 4 years old and 7 years old and will be kept until 10 years old. We clear credit cards every month and keep around £500 buffer in current account. If there is anything left after all that lot (rarely) it goes into an ISA. So we don’t sail close to the wind but everything I earn is siphoned away into different pots which means it feels like we rarely have money sloshing about for luxuries. This approach means retirement in 7 years at 55 will comfortably be an option, which has been the aim since I turned 40.

As the previous post, wasting food was not the done thing. Growing up, there was emphasis on saving rather than spending. I transfer money into a savings account on pay day and always overpay on my credit card each month to clear the balance and to take into account any imminent spending. This helps in reducing the shock factor when the credit card bill arrives as I generally put everything on my credit card. Sometimes I think I should carry cash and would spend less as a result. Possibly taking a packed lunch would also make a difference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    As the previous post, wasting food was not the done thing. Growing up, there was emphasis on saving rather than spending. I transfer money into a savings account on pay day and always overpay on my credit card each month to clear the balance and to take into account any imminent spending. This helps in reducing the shock factor when the credit card bill arrives as I generally put everything on my credit card. Sometimes I think I should carry cash and would spend less as a result. Possibly taking a packed lunch would also make a difference.
    I always carry my lunch, been doing this ever since I started working. I reckon it has saved me a tidy sum. I also carry my own coffee powder as well, yes I'm skint! On the other hand, colleagues particularly ladies don't like working with me because I always bring a large amount of snacks esp if I'm on night shift! It costs a tenner but I don't mind, good for morale! Most of my colleagues buy coffee, snacks and food from the canteen spending at least £ 6/day. My homemade lunch costs about £ 2/day.

Blimey a typical TZ thread here, everyone huge earners with immense savings, never consider credit of any type, must pay off mortgage immediately and aim for retirement soon after puberty

Chill out everyone, live your lives and spend some cash occassionally (if you are lucky enough to have some) when you are still young enough to enjoy it

All this six months salary for a rainy day advice must be pretty annoying to read when you can't afford to get by month to month/feed your kids etc

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    never consider credit of any type,
    God no, I put everything through a credit card for all the freebies.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    God no, I put everything through a credit card for all the freebies.
    Heaven forbid it doesn't get paid off immediately :)

How close to the wind do you sail.......

I’ve never seen the urgency in paying off a mortgage so quickly either , rates are so low. With rates as low as they have been I’ve put more into BTL than I have been trying to pay off my own mortgage.

I know the consensus here seems to be anti car finance . But I bought a 3 year old 911 on finance in 2015. I am £8k away from paying it off in full and the car is pretty much worth what I had bought it for 3 years ago. Had I waited till now it would have meant I would Only be able to get a 6 year old car instead of 3 . I am a huge , huge car enthusiast . I don’t buy it to show off, I don’t post pics of it on social media etc to show off .

Instead of buying the car outright I put the money to 3 BTLs in Northern Ireland . Which give me a decent income and also have gone up in value .

If I fell into tough times I’d cash in the 911 but right now I have some great memories with it.

It depends on appetite to risk but I’m 37 now and in the last 10 years , especially when I didn’t have kids I took on as much risk as I could.

I’m self employed and when times are good , they’re good but when they’re bad they can be awful - it’s why I took on more risk , borrowed more . Because I’ve had to- so that in the leans times I could rely on another incomes with BTLs. Even juggled a few loans on 0% bank transfer deals when I’ve had to .

Since I’ve had kids I’ve slowed down. But sailing close to the wind- I’ve done it more than I haven’t . But it’s now given me a security I can rely on which I wouldn’t have had , if I played it safe and just paid off my mortgage or saved up .

I look at the watches , and cars as assets and if things get tough I can always cash them in but I get my enjoyment out of having them than I do from the security of having the cash in my bank for a rainy day.

I can't imagine many people sailing close to the wind out of choice- in a lot of cases I think its necessity.
    Last edited by eagletower; 19th June 2018 at 07:52.

Craftsman
    I always use loans, credit cards and finance for purchases over £2k. Even when I have the cash available immediately. Borrowing is so cheap, personally I prefer the security of cash at hand and a monthly bill but always in the knowledge that I have enough cash at hand to cover all liabilities (excluding mortgage).

Master
    My view is you come into this world with nothing.....
    If you leave in debt.

You’ve made a profit🤡🤡👍

I have a decent house and niceish car but have jack all savings. I just spend it all. I work in an industry were getting made redundant is pretty standard so have always had lifestyle protection which covers me for a year monthly. Combined with gardening leave of usually 3 - 6 months that's kept me debt free and paid during any periods without work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I sail close to the wind. Then I edge closer. I test the limits. Then I push beyond. Finance? Just another avenue for extreme risk taking. Like playing Connect-4 in a Koh Samui bar, or kickstarter watches. Some call it foolhardy. I call it character. I wear the exclusive hand-wound Rolex Superlative Chronometer WindupMaster.

W.Miller, Trumptonshire
    I have played Connect 4 in a Koh Samui bar. I wouldn't have bet on my success though!

[QUOTE=swanbourne;4798402]Trust me, there's lots I want to do.

Eddie(/QUOTE)

Sorry, I was being facetious. I know you would like to get from under sometimes.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Trust me, there's lots I want to do.

Eddie
    Sorry I was being facetious. I know you would like to get from under sometimes.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    That was me 3 years ago! No amount of savings and easy life could replace the love and joy my little fella brings me every day.

I don't think anyone can truly know what love is till you have a child. Just wish I had not waited till 42 I would have a football team is I was 10 years younger.
    so true!!

Master

How close to the wind do you sail.......

Retired at 42, rentals properties in the bag all paid for, other personal properties around the UK.

Our youngest is 12 in main stream education, my daughters about to start uni, oldest son doing well with the building and utilities connection firm I help him set up, happy days, then.

My wife has had a brilliant idea to send our granddaughter to a private school with the backing of her parents, guess who’s picking up the bill.

I don’t believe in private eduction but I was not in the loop when this was decided.

It never stops this paying out lark.

Sent from The land of hope and glory.
    Last edited by Volvomanuk; 21st June 2018 at 06:57.

Craftsman

Never sailed close to the wind. Mr moderate here, happy with what I’ve got. 61 now, modest house paid up when I was 50, half decent paid for car, reasonable savings in isa's/prem bonds etc, moderate business in owned and paid for business premises that I could sell up tomorrow (in fact I really may sell up tomorrow!) moderate pension coming in, currently in good health as are the wife and kids, both kids in own homes and happy relationships. All I need to make my life complete would be grandchildren and we have a suspicion they are not far away.
    Last edited by Motman; 21st June 2018 at 07:28.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination".

Oscar Wilde.

Craftsman
    Thats rubbish, the silver lining is that she's moved out, one of my friend and his wife split up, she decided she hated him, but didn't move out of the house, she finally left after 8 months when she had bought a new place.

Anyway, back on topic, I like to have a rainy day fund, I work for myself, so if I couldn't work, no one would pay me, but I could last a year if I had to. However, this doesn't make me any more careful with money, I still like nice cars, watches, plenty of holidays, etc etc, it's a good job we don't have children!

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    Times change,

The beginning of last week I had a nice house with a still a fair bit of mortgage to pay off, but I work very hard and earn ok, so it is getting smaller each year, a wife who works but also can spend a fair bit, two teenage son’s, a car that works but nothing speacial that is paid for out right and I have savings in the bank, in case anything goes wrong and I need to pay the bills.

Today I have all that except, my wife has left, we are now separated and I think it is permanent but we are being civil, kids are with me and are staying as that is what they want, but been told she will take what is entitled too half what the house is worth once it is sold and outstanding mortgage paid and then half of all my savings. (Already taken half of the joint account).
    This hopefully will be when kids are at a age when they will can move out, one is nearly at that age. She works in divorce law bless her, knows her stuff.

Happy days,

bit of a shock, but not really a surprise as sadly we were drifting apart and she was staying for the kids apparently, obviously only told me once she had everything in place to move on, it is sad I miss her, so do the kids. We are all coping not easy for her either.

We will survive, expensive cars and watches are just objects to me, what is important is our children.

Money, I can at the moment carry on earning, once my wife has taken what she is legally entitled too, I will still be able to live.

Sorry, back on topic.

I know people with all the expensive lifestyle with nothing in reserve and if they hit crisis, they have hit rock bottom fast with nothing to show for it.

I started with nothing, when I was a kid we did not have much but my dad always made sure we had food on the table, somewhere safe to sleep and told us he loved us. He worked like a lunatic to provide right up the day he died.

So things can change very quickly,

My view do what is right for you. I know a chap who is living the high life, very expensive cars, he says if it all ends tomorrow and I am left with out a penny it has been one hell of a ride, you can not take your money with you when this life ends. Fair play to him.

But for me, I had nothing once it was hell of a struggle, so need to keep a reserve in case things go wrong so there is still food on the table and roof over our heads.

when I am gone I hope to leave the kids with a good memory of me and a bit of money in there bank.

Sorry, A bit deep but it is good to talk apparently.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post

Oscar Wilde.
    Then you become just a number not a name

C33.

Sent from The land of hope and glory.

Master
    My mum always said save some for a rainy day and spend the rest. I have and do.

Master
    I’ve enough for a bottle of wine over the weekend, I’ve a couple of grand in the bank 2 legs 2 arms don’t have cancer and if I die on my bike over the weekend who cares. Your a long time dead. Who cares what people have there always people a lot worse of than anyone of us on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post

Never sailed close to the wind. Mr moderate here, happy with what I’ve got. 61 now, modest house paid up when I was 50, half decent paid for car, reasonable savings in isa's/prem bonds etc, moderate business in owned and paid for business premises that I could sell up tomorrow (in fact I really may sell up tomorrow!) moderate pension coming in, currently in good health as are the wife and kids, both kids in own homes and happy relationships. All I need to make my life complete would be grandchildren and we have a suspicion they are not far away.
    ....And my wife’s suspicions were spot on! It was her birthday yesterday and our son and his partner came round today to give her her present and card. They also produced another card with this inside:

We're over the bloody moon. Couldn’t be happier, better than the biggest lottery win. It’s what life’s all about, isn’t it?

Congratulations to you and all your family. And yes, that’s what life’s about.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Terrific news.
    Congratulations to you all.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Congratulations- the greatest gift :-)

Craftsman
    Amazing - fantastic - make me smile alot !

Blog Entries
    THats lovley mate... congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    ....And my wife’s suspicions were spot on! It was her birthday yesterday and our son and his partner came round today to give her her present and card. They also produced another card with this inside:

We're over the bloody moon. Couldn’t be happier, better than the biggest lottery win. It’s what life’s all about, isn’t it?
    Congrats on the life's biggest gift

Grand Master
    I define sailing close to the wind as being overweight and/or unhealthy and taking no exercise because all the money in the world won’t matter when your health goes, and I wouldn’t worry about what others appear to have most of them are on credit or cant afford to keep their trinkets they just want to display them for your admiration.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I define sailing close to the wind as being overweight and/or unhealthy and taking no exercise because all the money in the world won’t matter when your health goes, and I wouldn’t worry about what others appear to have most of them are on credit or cant afford to keep their trinkets they just want to display them for your admiration.
    When 90% of cars in the UK are on finance it does make you wonder how close to the wind most people are here. I see it at the school gates when I drop my kids off in the morning, all the parents, who most I guess are on average or less than average income turn up in their new SUVs and the like. Not me. If I can't afford to pay cash I don't buy it. I drive a 10 year old car but at least I own it, not the bank.

You'd be surprised how little you can live on.

Obviously, there won't be any new 50K cars or 10K watches and the ritual of begging to be allowed to join 'your AD's list for the latest dubious colour combination of Submariner, will have to be parked for a while, but you don't need any of those things or an exotic holiday every 3 or 6 months.

Of course, it does depend on you living within your means all the time.

About 15 years ago, I was out of work for 18 months - I earnt next to nothing in that period (I had a two mornings a week job as the IT technician at my kid's infants school for part of the time) and my wife's income was also quite small, although she did go back to work full time, thankfully.

We carried on paying the mortgage, we both had cars (mine was fairly new at the time, but fully paid for), we had summer and skiing holidays for the whole family.

What we didn't have was a huge house (good investment, but a burden when you can't meet the repayments) or other burdensome luxuries.

I think of myself as semi-retired now, having been made redundant back in March, but I'm heading towards quarter or less, so fear I may be back in full employment too soon for me.

I guess I've always taken a cautious approach - I could, on reflection, have spent a lot more on a bigger house along the way and have more in assets, but those 18 months would have been a very stressful time if I had.

I'll never (short of a lottery win) buy a 10K watch or a 50K car though

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post

Oscar Wilde.
    Remind us how things turned out for him...

"Better to live through other's quotes than die a broken, miserable man"

Snowman

M
    Last edited by snowman; 17th July 2018 at 09:26.

Master
    They say money can’t buy happiness but it sure makes being miserable more pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    "Better to live through other's quotes than die a broken, miserable man"

Snowman

M
    Haha... many a true word!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    This year is my 25th as a Financial Adviser (21yrs my own company). The last 10 years I really only deal with higher net worth clients with a minimum of 100k invested or IHT planning.

It’s quite easy to break down finances as really there’s only two areas - necessities and luxuries
    I break my finances down into 3 areas, necessities, nice to have and luxuries. The necessities are of course mortgage, bills, council tax, food, petrol, then into "nice to have", new clothes, short break, then luxuries are the watches/extended holidays etc.

As I approach retirement, I have split my three columns into two parts, pre and post retirement. I can see at a glance how my lifestyle will change vs how much I've set aside for my pension income.

I've got a few mates from all walks of life just coming into retirement and almost all of them (living in London/SE) say that £24k a year covers the first two areas. So, £2k a month pension, everything else is for luxuries.

I suspect my car thread may be one of the offending posts that started this ;-)

I spend a lot of time on my car and am fortunate enough to get an allowance from work to cover the cost (of ‘owning’ it) so whilst I could get something cheaper and maybe make £50 a month profit I get something decent and enjoy it!

In terms of managing money I’d say I’m probably closer to the wind than most of here but equally I don’t worry about it at all. I work hard to earn my money and I enjoy it.

Master
    Judging by the amount of people on here desperate to buy used underpants and socks on sc, I’d say a lot of people are sailing close to the wind

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Judging by the amount of people on here desperate to buy used underpants and socks on sc, I’d say a lot of people are sailing close to the wind
    lol when the financial tide goes out you find out who's been swimming in the nude/used pants

Master

Paul
    Tell you what Paul, i think we may have been seperated at birth.

Time is more important than money.

My friend and his wife, despite earning similar money, live in a house twice the size of mine and have 2 cars less han 2 years old. Asks me for the lend of a couple of hundred quid at least 3 times a year.

I dont know how, or why, they live like that.