closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 'Grey Ghost'.

Seiko 'Grey Ghost'.

Just picked up this Seiko SBCZ005 ‘Grey Ghost’.

The watch was in production for quite some time but has now ceased. This one dates from 1997.

The watch is all titanium and is light as a feather on the wrist. It is probably lighter now than when I received it as it was filthy and an amazing amount of gunk came out of the bracelet and case. The bezel was completely jammed up with this gunk and wouldn’t turn at all. After a good cleaning the bezel is now turning freely. It is a 120 click, uni-directional bezel and is perfectly aligned and solid with no slop or slack when set.

It is not a large watch being mid-sized for a diver. It is about 43 mm to the crown, 46 mm long and is 12 mm thick. Here it is with other Seiko divers in size order.

it is quite an attractive shape and sits well on the wrist. The case has a satin finish with some polished elements on the edge of the bezel and on the centre bracelet links.

The watch gets its nickname of ‘Grey Ghost’ from the sparkling grey dial. This is a really interesting and unusual dial treatment, it is hard to capture on a photo but looks great in hand. The applied lume filled markers and white hands stand out well on this dial.

The lume is the usual excellent Seiko stuff, still bright after over 20 years.

It has quick set day/date in Kanj and English with Sat and Sun in red and blue. The movement is kinetic and it has a button to show you the current state of charge, it can run for many weeks when fully charged.

It has a solid link titanium bracelet with an integrated fold out divers extension. The caseback has the usual Seiko scuba ‘wave’ engraved on it.

I am quite liking the watch it feels and looks really well made, the dial does make it a rather special thing.

Mitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the aesthetics of it. But I never came to terms with the Kinetic movement.
    A really good watch though.
    Thanks for sharing!

The dial looks amazing are they like that when new? It looks almost like one of the old omega stardust dials. I've had a kinetic seiko and liked the idea of it basically being a mechanical, good build to. As a passing...the bracelet clearly pays homage to the 90's line of omegas including the 120 and smp. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    The dial looks amazing are they like that when new? It looks almost like one of the old omega stardust dials. I've had a kinetic seiko and liked the idea of it basically being a mechanical, good build to. As a passing...the bracelet clearly pays homage to the 90's line of omegas including the 120 and smp. Enjoy it.

Yes the dial is as issued, not like those old Omega's which can develop a 'stardust' effect due to deterioration of the dial.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by klockodile View Post
    I like the aesthetics of it. But I never came to terms with the Kinetic movement.
    A really good watch though.
    Thanks for sharing!
    I got it because of its looks and I am not bothered by the kinetic movement, I use an induction charger occasionally to top up the charge so my kinetics are always ready to go.

Mitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I got it because of its looks and I am not bothered by the kinetic movement, I use an induction charger occasionally to top up the charge so my kinetics are always ready to go.
    Interesting - I didn't know that was an option for kinetic movements.

Nice watch. I like titanium and the smaller sizes of the 15-25 year old watches..... and that dial is certainly unusual.

I have a seiko black knight kinetic and the dial is a very inky black which is appealing to me.

I also charge it on my phillips idealo? candle induction charger.

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    I have a seiko black knight kinetic and the dial is a very inky black which is appealing to me.

I also charge it on my phillips idealo? candle induction charger.

That is the same charger I use, useful as it can charge three watches at a time.

Mitch