closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Paging speedie nerds...

Paging speedie nerds...

What can you tell me about this?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Str8 lug speedy, later 80s dial, looks like 90s bezel. Basically it started life as anything from ck2915,ck2998,105.002,105.003 and then undergone some services.

Need to open it, check whats on caseback and serial number of the movement to know more.

Is that the only photo you have? It could be almost any speedy pro with any combination of replacement parts. Impossible to tell from that photo alone.

Its a still from a video. It's my ex FiL's watch. I'm pretty sure he originally bought it in the 60s.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Is that the only photo you have? It could be almost any speedy pro with any combination of replacement parts. Impossible to tell from that photo alone.
    It most certainly is not speedy pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    It most certainly is not speedy pro.
    While true, you could maybe elaborate a little bit to help the OP. You obviously have knowledge of the subject yet rather than choose to help you decide to point out my error instead.

OP - I have done a little digging around and found that crown guards were added to the speedmaster sometime around 1964 so yours must date from before that. However it has the wrong dial bezel and hands.

While true, you could maybe elaborate a little bit to help the OP. You obviously have knowledge of the subject yet rather than choose to help you decide to point out my error instead.

OP - I have done a little digging around and found that crown guards were added to the speedmaster sometime around 1964 so yours must date from before that. However it has the wrong dial bezel and hands.
    I thought my answer was appropriate, I mentioned that it's str8 lug speedmaster, listed possible references, mentioned that the dial is a service dial from 80s bezel looks like from 90s and that for any further information, we would need serial number and caseback. I shared all information I have had.

I think he did explain with some detail what the watch likely is (or was) in a previous post. And then simply corrected your 'Speedmaster Pro' statement.

Furthermore, just so the OP doesn't get any more confused, while the asymmetrical cased 105.012 did arrive in 1963, you can't assume that the OP watch must be pre-64 because of this, since the straight lug case (as the 105.003-65) was made alongside the 012 for a few years, with the last ones being delivered as late as 1969.

Whatever it is (and I'll let the experts argue over that), the fit between the bracelet endpiece and the lugs is horrific - it looks as if it's been through a cement mixer...

Simon

I thought my answer was appropriate, I mentioned that it's str8 lug speedmaster, listed possible references, mentioned that the dial is a service dial from 80s bezel looks like from 90s and that for any further information, we would need serial number and caseback. I shared all information I have had.
    Please accept my apologies. I didn't realise it was you who had posted the informative reply earlier in the thread. I have a habit of reading threads without paying attention to who posted what. I will pay more attention in future.

Please accept my apologies. I didn't realise it was you who had posted the informative reply earlier in the thread. I have a habit of reading threads without paying attention to who posted what. I will pay more attention in future.
    That's fine dont worry about it :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Whatever it is (and I'll let the experts argue over that), the fit between the bracelet endpiece and the lugs is horrific - it looks as if it's been through a cement mixer...

Simon
    While I’m a huge admirer of the speedy and omega, I’ve never thought the endlinks on the speedy looked right - always slightly at odds with the lugs. Probably just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by figureeight View Post
    While I’m a huge admirer of the speedy and omega, I’ve never thought the endlinks on the speedy looked right - always slightly at odds with the lugs. Probably just me though.
    Yes, but look how wonky this one is!

Simon

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by figureeight View Post
    It's not just you - I've always felt that with every bracelet from the 1039 onwards, both the endlink fit and the compatibility of style have got progressively worse. The 1039 is killer, though, it makes an already handsome watch look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    It's not just you - I've always felt that with every bracelet from the 1039 onwards, both the endlink fit and the compatibility of style have got progressively worse. The 1039 is killer, though, it makes an already handsome watch look amazing.
    That is true, flatlinks are my favourite by far, especially on str8 lug cases..

Not my photo but damn it's gorgeous:

I usually prefer bombe lugs but that's lovely, what a dial!

It's even nicer, this way round.

Last edited by dkpw; 15th June 2018 at 19:07.

Yup, does look mighty fine on a flat link, in this case a 7912.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsdad View Post
    Yup, does look mighty fine on a flat link, in this case a 7912.

That is one of the most stunning Ed White's that I have ever seen, beautiful. I remember chatting to Darren at Vintage Speedmaster and he has a old Speedmaster with a blue hue and I believe it is worth a considerable amount. Can't remember if it was the dial or the insert, but I don't think you could put a price on a naturally faded insert that has turned blue. Also a 7912 bracelet, it just couldn't be better. If it has an original set of number 6 endlinks the value of this piece is frightening.

Looking at the colour of the plots I would guess at a 105:003-65.

You really need an extract from the archives for this watch and do some research, I think you have something extremely special here.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 15th June 2018 at 22:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    That is one of the most stunning Ed White's that I have ever seen, beautiful. I remember chatting to Darren at Vintage Speedmaster and he has a old Speedmaster with a blue hue and I believe it is worth a considerable amount. Can't remember if it was the dial or the insert, but I don't think you could put a price on a naturally faded insert that has turned blue. Also a 7912 bracelet, it just couldn't be better. If it has an original set of number 6 endlinks the value of this piece is frightening.

Looking at the colour of the plots I would guess at a 105:003-65.

You really need an extract from the archives for this watch and do some research, I think you have something extremely special here.
    I agree, that is a beautiful Speedmaster and any DON bezel in that condition is worth a lot of money, add the natural blue hue and it increases again..

Again an extract of archives will give this watch more provenance, I paid for an extract on my 145.022.71T and it’s well worth the wait and £90.00..

Thanks guys, yes it is a very special Speedy to me, principally because it's my fathers old watch, which he had from new. It's actually a 105.003-64, with a 22.08m serial, though good spot ref the dial plots, it has the dial from a 105.003-65!!! In a nutshell, he sent it to Omega for a service 20 odd years ago, and they 'very kindly' changed that grubby old looking dial with the dead lume for a lovely shiny new dial with wonderful bright lume plots, ditto the hands...

When I received the watch, I was already a dyed in the wool WIS, so my main goal was to replace the service dial and hands with an original untouched pre-pro AML dial and matching hands. Needless to say, I gave up looking after a few months, what ones did come up were either really ropey or nice but (at the time) seemed very expensive. Luckily this was a few years ago now, before the prices of these things went a bit silly, so when I came across a really nice 105.003-65 in all original condition for sensible money, I bought it with the sole intention of liberating the dial and hands for my fathers old watch.

The added bonus was that I could also change the old bezel with the defective paint for a very nice black one, which I preferred at the time. Anyway, dial & hands were swapped over at its last service, but after thinking long and hard about it, I stopped at having the bezel insert changed over. Some of my earliest recollections of this watch as a kid were of the funny blue 'case' (!!!), and bearing in mind it had already lost its dial, I decided to keep the original bezel in place. During a subsequent conversation with Simon Freese, it transpired there was a small batch of inserts found on 105.003-64's from around the early 22mm serial range that had defective paint, which quite quickly turned to a bluey/gunmetal colour. Some were replaced at service for the 'correct' black ones, others survived. I still prefer the black from a purely aesthetic perspective, but the blue has sentimental value, so its staying on.

I have the extract from the archives, which confirms it was delivered to the UK in early 1965. My father bought it later that year from a jewellers in Eastbourne.

While Omega replaces parts just like Rolex does, the differences is that Omega always returns everything back and always have. It's just most people toss that baggie with that old dial and hands away.

While Omega replaces parts just like Rolex does, the differences is that Omega always returns everything back and always have. It's just most people toss that baggie with that old dial and hands away.
    That’s not true; back in the late sixties/ early seventies they’d happily swap a new movement in instead of servicing the old one without even telling the owner. They’d also replace parts and not return the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That’s not true; back in the late sixties/ early seventies they’d happily swap a new movement in instead of servicing the old one without even telling the owner. They’d also replace parts and not return the old ones.
    That seems weird, I recently was on a phone with guy from Omega archives, asking him the same question and he said Omega officially always returned everything back to owner, that's why they did not have any old dials/hands coming back in.

About 10 years ago my Dad sent his Pre Moon 68 Speedy to Omega for service and opted to have everything cosmetic changed, ( I nearly cried when he told me ) I asked him some time later about the bag of bits that must have come back with, he said he didn't get anything back but the watch, he went through a AD so I think whoever booked it in had them away.
    I haven't told him what he did.
    Cheers..
    Jase

That seems weird, I recently was on a phone with guy from Omega archives, asking him the same question and he said Omega officially always returned everything back to owner, that's why they did not have any old dials/hands coming back in.
    Last year I sold a 1964 speedie for a friend which he’d owned from new. I found out that it had a new movement in 1973 which he never knew about. It had new hands and bezel insert which he knew about but never received the old ones.
    He did still have the original bracelet and no.6 end links along with a later bracelet and end link.

Guess not all Service centers followed the protocol, Then again I imagine no one cared about that kind of stuff in that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much like some of you guys Dad never had any of the old parts returned to him. I actually have the old invoice from the mid-late 90's from Omega, detailing the dial change, and there is no mention of returning old parts. Then again this was through an AD again so suppose they may have gone 'walkies'...

I'm grateful my dad never had his Ed White serviced properly, just occasionally seen to by the odd jeweller. Upon examination, Simon Freese reported it's all original apart from a clumsy relume which was easily corrected by him.