timefactors watches
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: People noticing and commenting on your watch

When I worked in 'Criminal Justice' I would often get offenders asking if my Rolex (es) were real. Some would proclaim it foolish wearing such a thing around criminals. Tbh it was no more risky than walking on the street where you don't know who are the dangerous types.

This happened to me for the first time yesterday. I was in my favourite coffee shop and a new lad was working, when he brought over my brew he commented, "nice watch, explorer 1" I was surprised as no one has ever commented before. Had a gander and he was wearing a seamaster. We had a chat for a couple of minutes, he was saving for a ss Rolex so I let him have a go with mine. He was quite taken aback, like a kid on Christmas morning.
    J

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

My Explorer 36mm was spotted whilst I was on holiday in Canada a few years ago. Luckily the spotters were a family and so I didn’t need to panic but was surprised as it is an under the radar watch. Or at least I thought it was. I also received a compliment whilst I was in a designer men’s clothes shop as the assistant was wearing a jubilee Datejust.

I've only had one person comment when I had my Damasko DA36 on. He was the official photographer for Ferrari and was a photographer for Top Gear car magazine.
    He was quite taken with it!

I've had one very memorable comment on my 16610, which the famous (in the cutlery world) Tony Marfione called out as 'Nice 1680!' as I was oggling his creations at a knife show. I took that as a very nice compliment as it reflects how nicely aged the dial and lume on it are.

Otherwise, most comments on it are as a result of my commenting on someone else's watch first.

Fortunately I no longer have to work and be surrounded by the type of person who says "gee what a nice watch gush gush". I do have a nice watch a BLNR and after spending the last 2 weeks on holiday in France, the extra time zone was greatly appreciated, not one person looked or commented on it, which is just the way I like it. No one gives a crap apart from us anoraks!

I have a colleague in another department at work who would regularly ask me what I was wearing and would ask my boss if the guy with the watches was attending the meeting this week. He eventually learnt my name and we are now firm watch buddies.

My son-in-law as had a couple of comments on his speedmaster moonwatch, one at the O2 when everyone we saw seemed to be wearing Rolex and the other was his grandmothers insurance broker.

We both spotted a guy in our local Japanese restaurant wearing a BLNR a few years back and happily complimented him on it.

Most people don't seem to notice except fellow watch nutters. My wife has passed comment a couple of times of noticing sales people checking out my datejust when we are out shopping, but nothing gets said and we figure they are just checking to see if we are time wasters
    Last edited by You Only Live Twice; 17th June 2018 at 16:09.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    When I worked in 'Criminal Justice' I would often get offenders asking if my Rolex (es) were real. Some would proclaim it foolish wearing such a thing around criminals. Tbh it was no more risky than walking on the street where you don't know who are the dangerous types.

geiriau doeth iawn as we say in Wales

happens in the workplace but can't remember if it ever has in public.

Craftsman
    It’s happened to me in a good way not long ago.

My new-ish girlfriend and I went down to Liverpool to meet and stay with one her old uni friends for the weekend. It was all very pleasant conversation when his fiancé just stopped and said “Sorry joe but is that a Tudor Black Bay red you’ve got on?” I was a bit taken aback but said yeah and he proceeded to tell me how much he like’s them and only then I noticed he was wearing a rather nice IWC mk XVIII. We had great chat later on about watches and styles that evening much to the dismay of our respective other halves.
    Que the awkward conversation on the drive home when the girlfriend commented on how she knows her pals fiancé has expensive tastes and how much do my watches cost?

Joe

Apprentice
    It used to happen a lot with my old Daytona, but only once with my GMT BLNR which I think is a more noticeable watch.

My Longines Legend gets noticed all the time.

My Longines Evidenza also got some comments too.