closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: People noticing and commenting on your watch

When I worked in 'Criminal Justice' I would often get offenders asking if my Rolex (es) were real. Some would proclaim it foolish wearing such a thing around criminals. Tbh it was no more risky than walking on the street where you don't know who are the dangerous types.

This happened to me for the first time yesterday. I was in my favourite coffee shop and a new lad was working, when he brought over my brew he commented, "nice watch, explorer 1" I was surprised as no one has ever commented before. Had a gander and he was wearing a seamaster. We had a chat for a couple of minutes, he was saving for a ss Rolex so I let him have a go with mine. He was quite taken aback, like a kid on Christmas morning.
    J

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

My Explorer 36mm was spotted whilst I was on holiday in Canada a few years ago. Luckily the spotters were a family and so I didn’t need to panic but was surprised as it is an under the radar watch. Or at least I thought it was. I also received a compliment whilst I was in a designer men’s clothes shop as the assistant was wearing a jubilee Datejust.

I've only had one person comment when I had my Damasko DA36 on. He was the official photographer for Ferrari and was a photographer for Top Gear car magazine.
    He was quite taken with it!

I've had one very memorable comment on my 16610, which the famous (in the cutlery world) Tony Marfione called out as 'Nice 1680!' as I was oggling his creations at a knife show. I took that as a very nice compliment as it reflects how nicely aged the dial and lume on it are.

Otherwise, most comments on it are as a result of my commenting on someone else's watch first.

I have a colleague in another department at work who would regularly ask me what I was wearing and would ask my boss if the guy with the watches was attending the meeting this week. He eventually learnt my name and we are now firm watch buddies.

My son-in-law as had a couple of comments on his speedmaster moonwatch, one at the O2 when everyone we saw seemed to be wearing Rolex and the other was his grandmothers insurance broker.

We both spotted a guy in our local Japanese restaurant wearing a BLNR a few years back and happily complimented him on it.

Most people don't seem to notice except fellow watch nutters. My wife has passed comment a couple of times of noticing sales people checking out my datejust when we are out shopping, but nothing gets said and we figure they are just checking to see if we are time wasters
    Last edited by You Only Live Twice; 17th June 2018 at 16:09.

happens in the workplace but can't remember if it ever has in public.

Craftsman
    It’s happened to me in a good way not long ago.

My new-ish girlfriend and I went down to Liverpool to meet and stay with one her old uni friends for the weekend. It was all very pleasant conversation when his fiancé just stopped and said “Sorry joe but is that a Tudor Black Bay red you’ve got on?” I was a bit taken aback but said yeah and he proceeded to tell me how much he like’s them and only then I noticed he was wearing a rather nice IWC mk XVIII. We had great chat later on about watches and styles that evening much to the dismay of our respective other halves.
    Que the awkward conversation on the drive home when the girlfriend commented on how she knows her pals fiancé has expensive tastes and how much do my watches cost?

Joe

Craftsman
    It used to happen a lot with my old Daytona, but only once with my GMT BLNR which I think is a more noticeable watch.

My Longines Legend gets noticed all the time.

My Longines Evidenza also got some comments too.

Master
    The owner of my local cafe is a watch enthusiast and has just commented on my watch.

He asked if it was for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    The owner of my local cafe is a watch enthusiast and has just commented on my watch.

Cafe's must make more money than I'd thought.

I will buy it off you for a coffee and a full english for a week.

What do you say? ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post

It would be good if you could at least get through breakfast without referring to the value of your watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It would be good if you could at least get through breakfast without referring to the value of your watch.
    That’s not a breakfast.......No black pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post

My new-ish girlfriend and I went down to Liverpool to meet and stay with one her old uni friends for the weekend. It was all very pleasant conversation when his fiancé just stopped and said “Sorry joe but is that a Tudor Black Bay red you’ve got on?” I was a bit taken aback but said yeah and he proceeded to tell me how much he like’s them and only then I noticed he was wearing a rather nice IWC mk XVIII. We had great chat later on about watches and styles that evening much to the dismay of our respective other halves.
    Que the awkward conversation on the drive home when the girlfriend commented on how she knows her pals fiancé has expensive tastes and how much do my watches cost?

Joe
    Better dump her quick

was ‘his Fiancé ‘ a typo....just asking.

Colleague talking about watches

A colleague has just started showing an interest in the watches worn in the office, but most of his public conversations (in the office & on the train to work) seem to circle back to the Ł value of any particular watch, their rarity and mostly only focuses on the high ends. This public display is making me feel very uncomfortable and i have stopped wearing anything but my beaters, incase they catch his eye. I don't want to be unkind to him or put myself unnecessarily in a exposed position, but i do miss wearing some of my most loved watches. Am i imagining an issue that might escalate in to a bigger risk or could this all be perfectly innocent?

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    A colleague has just started showing an interest in the watches worn in the office, but most of his public conversations (in the office & on the train to work) seem to circle back to the Ł value of any particular watch, their rarity and mostly only focuses on the high ends. This public display is making me feel very uncomfortable and i have stopped wearing anything but my beaters, incase they catch his eye. I don't want to be unkind to him or put myself unnecessarily in a exposed position, but i do miss wearing some of my most loved watches. Am i imagining an issue that might escalate in to a bigger risk or could this all be perfectly innocent?
    Only in London or Naples apparently, if you are in Scotland you are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    What are you worried about, do you think he is going to mug you or follow you home? Presumably you know a bit about him if you work and travel with him. Or are you worried about other people hearing
    what the value might be of something you're wearing. If it's the later why not have a quiet word and say you don't think it's a good idea to mention values on the train, presumably not an issue in the office.

Seems a bit silly to let something like this stop you wearing what you want.

He might just be uncomfortable/embarrassed that colleagues know he spends so much on watches.

People noticing and commenting on your watch

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    He might just be uncomfortable/embarrassed that colleagues know he spends so much on watches.
    This. I’ll chat about watches all day, but when people ask “how much was it?”, I feel uncomfortable even if it’s a Ł100 G-Shock. I just don’t like talking about money like that.

both of these sentiments

' I’ll chat about watches all day, but when people ask “how much was it?”, I feel uncomfortable even if it’s a Ł100 G-Shock. I just don’t like talking about money like that.'

'Or are you worried about other people hearing what the value might be of something you're wearing. If it's the later why not have a quiet word and say you don't think it's a good idea to mention values on the train, presumably not an issue in the office.'

I always reply the same to these threads, as it always remains true: the only watch of mine that gets comments is my Bell&Ross Geneva 123. It photographs as rather plain with the monochromatic design but has a certain something in the metal.

Rolex, GS, Heuer... even the Speedy Alaska when I had that... nada!

Last edited by JGJG; 30th June 2018 at 10:27.

Craftsman
    I have had twice people comment on my watch. One is watch guy colleague who is into chronos and we talk watches regularly. Second was when someone called my Rolex "nice steinhart", to which I replied thanks.

Craftsman

People noticing and commenting on your watch

I wear 40+ watches in rotation, but my Lip Mach 2000 chrono with coloured gumball pushers gets most comments, by far.

Some of them are even positive...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by MAW; 30th June 2018 at 13:00.

Was strolling round what's left of the antique quarter in Islington this morning and stopped at a stall which had some watches on display.

Quickly scanned the watches which included a fake Submariner and was about to walk away when the guy must have spotted my 16750 GMT.

Tongue in cheek he said "Nice copy" - well I think it was tongue in cheek.

I just smiled and replied "Thanks, but not as good as yours".
    Last edited by Jack Norman; 30th June 2018 at 14:57.

Master
    It has happened to me several times over the years - in the 80's it was mainly air hostesses (US Mainly) who commented and that always ended up the same way. They were a lot younger then and so was I.

Now if I'm with anyone that is not close I always reply with "it's a joey - you can get them cheap in Turkey these days" and if it is someone I do know like family I say " it was cheap when I bought it some 30 or more years ago" - doesn't matter which watch it is.

The nosey types are the ones that ask about one's house, car, suit, watch, wedding ring, pens etc

I wear a casio or a Seiko when travelling now in UK and abroad - too many moped muppets.

B

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    It has happened to me several times over the years - in the 80's it was mainly air hostesses (US Mainly) who commented and that always ended up the same way. They were a lot younger then and so was I.
    On a flight to Tokyo in the late '90s I noticed that an air hostess was staring at my Aerospace with a look of concern. When I asked her if everything was OK she explained that she thought the crystal had fallen out! The AR coating was quite effective.

The only other times I can recall someone commenting on a watch I was wearing were once at work, when someone wanted to know where I'd got my Rolex GMT, assuming it was a fake. And once in a restaurant in Chinatown when a waiter asked if my Breitling Grand Premier was an IWC.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    No one gives a crap apart from us anoraks!
    Too true. At a barbeque today, chap had a similar looking rectangular watch on to my Monaco and said "nice watch". I replied "thanks, are you into watches then?" His reply indicated that he wasn't, and that I was weird not only for asking, but as he found out that some people are "into" watches.

Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post

Joe
    Very good friend of mine who I've known for 20+ years introduced me to her new boyfriend. After a succession of alternately chavs with motorbikes and lame wet drips, this guy gave me a firm handshake and eyeballed my Sinn as I noticed his rose gold Aqua Terra. Before I could ask him he said "it was a graduation present, my Dad got a VERY good deal on it." We then talked watches all night and I forgot to ask anything else about him.
    They got married a year later, and he's turned out to be a top chap.

Not always high end

Best times I've had my watches noticed were one of my teenage patients saying he thought my reverse dial Casio 5610 was cool and we chatted about how he had a couple of G Shocks and what he liked about them! Down with the kids - LOL

Second time when a mother noticed my Apple Watch Series 1 in gold when they were first out and difficult to get hold of. She said she had been trying to get hold of one for her husband but had struggled even in the States - that's a good wife!

Craftsman
    My other half and I were chatting the other day about this and the general consensus from SWMBO was that nobody cares and I did disagree with this. Along the conversation lines was about the submariner and a past experience we'd had with a BMW sales manager wearing a Submariner who she felt was a bit of a one off.

So visit to Mini dealership this weekend and SWMBO rolled her eyes at me when she clocked (before I did) that the Mini Sales Manager was wearing a 14060M. He noticed my BLNR and complimented me on it, which then lead to a very long and boring conversation (For my other half at least!) with him about watches. Another sales guy came over and was wearing an Air King. And a further lady in the dealership was in earshot and was wearing a Date Just from her Dad, who's Dad was "mad into watches". 4 people out of 5 wearing a Rolex and fortunately for us the conversation was only brought to a halt because my 18month old son was trying to post half eaten pear through the windows of show room cars.

So I learnt two things. My other half is wrong (First time for everything ;) ), and Rolexes are the still the stereotypical car salesperson watch.

The only other time I got a compliment was actually my Steinhart Marine Chronometer - definitely have to be a WIS to spot what it was and had a lovely chat about it and his watch collection.

M.
    Last edited by mjgerrard; 2nd July 2018 at 13:03.

I did the same thing at a BMW dealership (I was there to look at an i3) and the dealer said "oh yeah, I got this off the beach at Torremolinos. Looks good doesn't it?"

My secretary just commented on my U1
    "Cool watch, I like the strap"
    Well far from being flattered I am now scared, will there be a gang of yoofs waiting for me outside the office at 5pm???? I live and work in London...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    and that is the answer for me as well.

I work in a workshop with one of the directors (small family firm) and he has a tag huer and a certina.
    Its not a good idea him noticing i have a speedy reduced which cost more than the total of his watches.

He may well think he is paying me too much.
    As is usual with these situations it depends on circumstances; no kids,other half, dont drink or smoke my only vice is a season ticket to my local football team hence more disposable income for this trinket hobby :)

Went to a gig over the weekend (concert) and ended up chatting with a bloke from the same hometown as me. He noticed my SKX009 with different coloured bezel insert. Good spot :)