closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Toning up

Master

Toning up

Is it possible to tone up without weights?
    I really can’t be bothered with going to a gym but I don’t mind doing something in the house if there is a routine that works.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Is it possible to tone up without weights?
    I really can’t be bothered with going to a gym but I don’t mind doing something in the house if there is a routine that works.

You can do a remarkable amount of training at home with just body weight exercises, have a look on You Tube. Diet will be as important as training if you want to get some definition and tone.

Master
    Calisthenics see https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...isthenics.html

There’s shedloads of info on the net/YouTube on it

Bookmarked.

Master
    Lots of people seem to rave about the ‘insanity’ workout.

Toning up simply means losing fat - so yes, there is plenty you can do without weights. However, if you want to maintain, or even increase, some muscle mass then you need to do some form of resistance exercise.

There are are lots of body weight exercises you can do at home, and I always found press-ups very effective.

(Visible) Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.
    It's just a matter of time...

^^^ That's the long and short of it.

Or is it...?

Craftsman
    Easily, just do rounds of burpees, push ups and air squats with volume and intensity. Get your diet sorted if you need to and stick to it! Consistency is key!

There are lots of things that can be done in your own home but the key is diet and motivation, you have to want to do it and be regimental about it. Make it a habit and see the long term gain rather than a short term chore. Create yourself a circuit of exercises of say 30 second bursts with a rest then onto the next one. If you have not exercised for a while then take it slowly and build up, your body will thank you for it.

To get the heart rate going;
    - star jumps
    - running on the spot with high knees
    - squats
    - burpees (advanced version is a military burpee)
    - if you have the space then buy yourself a skipping rope

For strength
    - Press ups, narrow, wide works different muscles depending on arm position
    - Tricep dips on a chair or end of sofa
    - crunches, you can combine these with pressups. Do 2 crunches flip over, 2 press ups flip over 4 crunches flip over, 4 press ups up to 10.

Good luck!

Apprentice
    Diet will be 90% of it and look on youtube,Google etc for all over workouts

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Joe Wicks' videos are pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1/videos

Master
    Cheers guys, lots to be looking at.

+1 for Calisthenics and as already said it’s 95% diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some before and after pic’s. Calisthenics and clean eating all the way.

How long between the two pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Couple of days

These two pics are actually 12 years apart. The initial weight loss of 30kg/5 stone took me 12 months of solid graft and sensible eating. I’ve kept most of my weight off over that time.

Nothing else focus’ you to keep weight off like Calisthenics (body weight training); running possibly, but you’ll not see many 5’9” 96kg guys doing strict muscle ups or human flag.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Lots of people seem to rave about the ‘insanity’ workout.
    I had the insanity work out... could get paste the first session which was basically noting compared to the full programme. Absolutely intense.

I have a friend who is a PT, he done me a HIIT programme I could follow from home. Pretty much planks, jump squats, burpees, push-ups and some other bits and pieces. Like others have said 90% is to do with what you eat. Get that right first then I would start doing HIITS.

Lots of good stuff in this thread but I’d be interested in what you guys eat - care to share?

Master
    I'm knackered just reading all of that info.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Lots of good stuff in this thread but I’d be interested in what you guys eat - care to share?

This kind of thing. Clean eating.

I like the phrase “clean eating” and I like the look of all of that. Thanks.

Yes, - 80% of fat loss is diet. However I would recommend weight training has the existance of muscle raise metabolism 24/7, plus it strengthens your bones, gives you better body composition, and provides an endorphin rush.

Diet: - watch portion sizes, try and eat low GI carbs, - make sure you get breakfast in, - scrambled eggs on granary bread with an olive oil based spread is a good one - your body has to work harder to digest protein

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I like the phrase “clean eating” and I like the look of all of that. Thanks.
    I hate the phrase clean eating - food is food. Eat the right amount of the right things, and the rest of your intake doesn’t matter as long as you don’t eat more than you need.

I used to train a lot and learnt plenty in that time, as has been said diet is key, no point running, cycling, swimming to burn off 1000 cal + your daily usage or around 2500 cal if your eating 4000 cal.

Yes you will be more fit which good in everyone's book but weight loss is simply calories in versus calories burnt, it's not hard.

Same with muscle growth, I trained every night hard and put on some muscle but kept hitting a wall of fatigue, once I started eating a huge amount of calories and I'm talking good calories like Yumma has shown above several times a day the muscle flew on and strength grew rapidly.

The hard bit is sustaining it, here I am 19 years later thinking I really should get back into it and sort myself out!

Master
    I hate the phrase clean eating - food is food. Eat the right amount of the right things, and the rest of your intake doesn’t matter as long as you don’t eat more than you need.
    Sadly that's no longer the case, it's very easy to eat a lot of refined cr@p without even realizing it. Most convenience food (microwave meals, meal kits, sauces, etc.) are loaded with sugar etc.
    Clean eating is just the latest trendy way of saying that you care about what you eat and would rather not consume a mars bars worth of refined sugar during your main course.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Sadly that's no longer the case, it's very easy to eat a lot of refined cr@p without even realizing it. Most convenience food (microwave meals, meal kits, sauces, etc.) are loaded with sugar etc.
    Clean eating is just the latest trendy way of saying that you care about what you eat and would rather not consume a mars bars worth of refined sugar during your main course.
    ?

Sorry, I don’t follow what you are saying.

Provided you get the nutrients you need, and the correct macros, I would suggest your body wouldn’t give much of a flying f if the remainder of your calories came from the Mars bar, or even a bowl of sugar or a block of lard for that matter.

The issue for most is simply down to over eating, or eating too much of a particular macro. This is generally not likely, if you are getting the right macro intake, and getting the right balance of nutrients - my point is the source of the small remainder of calories are virtually irrelevant and certainly not worth worrying about.

“Clean” eating is a lie in my opinion and I’m sure in time will be exposed.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 20th June 2018 at 20:55.

Craftsman
    ?

Sorry, I don’t follow what you are saying.

Provided you get the nutrients you need, and the correct macros, I would suggest your body wouldn’t give much of a flying f if the remainder of your calories came from the Mars bar, or even a bowl of sugar or a block of lard for that matter.

The issue for most is simply down to over eating, or eating too much of a particular macro. This is generally not likely, if you are getting the right macro intake, and getting the right balance of nutrients - my point is the source of the small remainder of calories are virtually irrelevant and certainly not worth worrying about.

“Clean” eating is a lie in my opinion and I’m sure in time will be exposed.
    Isn’t this the argument Put to the test in fast food nation. The CEO of McDonald’s Said something along the lines of McDonald’s providing a balanced and healthy varied menu. Morgan Spurlock then looked up the definition of varied and healthy menu and found you would be able to eat from it for 60 days. He tried at McDonald’s and got really ill and got really fat.

The point being that one needs to pay very particular attention to eat clean. If you don’t getting the right macros- protein, fibre and vitamins is nigh on impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Isn’t this the argument Put to the test in fast food nation. The CEO of McDonald’s Said something along the lines of McDonald’s providing a balanced and healthy varied menu. Morgan Spurlock then looked up the definition of varied and healthy menu and found you would be able to eat from it for 60 days. He tried at McDonald’s and got really ill and got really fat.

The point being that one needs to pay very particular attention to eat clean. If you don’t getting the right macros- protein, fibre and vitamins is nigh on impossible.
    No!

Spurlock’s documentary has been discredited completely. It was not an example of the effects of a type of food, it was an example of extreme over eating. He had to eat nothing but McD’s, but also ordered the “meals” with full sugar drinks, and not personal or more appriopriate menu choices, and had to Super-Size if it was offered, which invariably it would be as that’s why they are trained to do at the counter. You would expect similar results from a similar amount of over indulgence from so called “clean” eating.

If your calorie requirements, including some training, were around 3000 per day, it would be fairly easy to get your required nutrition from around 2000 of those cals, and the suit yourself for the rest.

extreme example:

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/ma...-100-days.html
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 20th June 2018 at 21:34.

Craftsman
    No!

Spurlock’s documentary has been discredited completely.

extreme example:

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/ma...-100-days.html

Very very interesting. So how does Rda fit in? Or it’s separate and the example is just about weight loss rather than eating “well.”

Craftsman
    Weight loss and gain is about simple thermodynamics, there’s no getting passed that simple fact. BUT body composition (toning up) is affected by what and how you eat.

He ate as sensibly as possible, despite the restriction of 50% of calories having to come from icecream. It wasn’t a proposal of something sensible, but rather done to prove a point.

I would suggest getting everything you need from 1000 cals wouldn’t be easy, but by using icecream as a base some nutrients would already be included.

Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    Weight loss and gain is about simple thermodynamics, there’s no getting passed that simple fact. BUT body composition (toning up) is affected by what and how you eat.
    What do you mean by the how?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Very very interesting. So how does Rda fit in? Or it’s separate and the example is just about weight loss rather than eating “well.”

RDA is like BMI, they are useful guidelines and measurements but in an individual, pretty pointless.

Craftsman
    What do you mean by the how?
    Examples would be timing, combinations of food groups, controlling blood sugar, understanding fat types, effects on metabolism etc.

Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    Examples would be timing, combinations of food groups, controlling blood sugar, understanding fat types, effects on metabolism etc.
    Similarly, I would say all that has a lot lot less impact, for the vast majority of people, than the what. Performance/endurance athletes may benefit a lot more - but the general populous would be better just understanding and concentrating on their daily macro and nutrient requirements.

For example single meal or multiple meal diets (not diet as in losing weight) work. Multiple meals, containing above a certain amount of protein, appear to have a slight benefit in muscle protein synthesis in short term studies.

Craftsman
    Similarly, I would say all that has a lot lot less impact, for the vast majority of people, than the what. Performance/endurance athletes may benefit a lot more - but the general populous would be better just understanding and concentrating on their daily macro and nutrient requirements.
    Agreed.

Was going to put a lot of effort into bashing 'clean eating' (whatever the definition of it is, soapy food?) for the average person that is yet to even discover how 'tone' and weightloss/muscle gain works but I think Omegamanic has covered most of it very well.