closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few days with a controversial Steinhart

A few days with a controversial Steinhart

A controversial Steinhart? Controversial when they churn out Submariner homages, ignored when they don't, but the controversy really kicks off when they smoke some crack before hitting the drawing board...

Such was the immediate interest in this watch when the release email came from Steinhart that their servers immediately crashed, stayed that way for an hour and a half, resulted in the website being taken down and put onto a turbo-charged server or whatever way they do these things. Various internet forums looked on with mild disinterest, the watch was almost universally slated yet the run of 111 sold out in ten hours, which was a nice little earner for Gunter.

Anyway, what do you get for your Euros?

Black cardboard outer box, a weird long box too... what's in that?

That's quite nice, a canvas print, individually named, numbered and signed by Gunter himself.

A nicer inner box than the usual Steinhart fare, gone is in the faux-leather and in is... erm... faux-wood. Not grained or anything, it's some sort of plastic/resin, but is really nice and solid.

Inside...

A second strap, a strap-changing tool, and a watch!

The second strap isn't something I've had before, a strange furriness to it, like a suede. I don't know what it is.

The watch then...

Ok, so the styling isn't to everyone's taste, but it's fantastically-well constructed, feels like a tank (see what I did there?). And it's this construction that is its big positive and also its big negative. You see, a watch shaped like this should be more delicate. A watch with an ETA 2892 chosen over a 2824 should have had this decision made for one reason - the relative thinness of the 2892. Yet here, this thing is like a door-stop, feeling much more substantial than Steinhart's stated 12mm.

A comparison to a couple of other big watches and a comedy comparison with a CWC G10:

How is it on the wrist though? Well, I can tell you, you know it is there. It isn't just the thickness, it isn't just the large lug-to-lug length (which works fine for me on a traditional round watch but the shape of this seems to make it longer), but it's also the shape of the PVD sections at the side. Instead of being rounded at the bottom, they're flat, pointed and sharp!

It's a bizarre design decision, leaving the spikes poking into the forearm on the left hand side. All things considered though, I bloody love it. It's the only non-round watch I currently have and the design is a nice break from the more conservative and traditional watches you'll see on pretty much any forum. On the styling, you can make up your own mind. The skull on the dial is nicely done but won't be to everyone's taste and the skulls on the strap are just awful but a strap is easily replaced... perhaps even with the one in the box! Anyway, this is the Steinhart Barrique Skull.

Speechless
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Speechless
    I know, right?

Wear that bad boy in good health

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Wear that bad boy in good health
    I need to source some new boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I need to source some new boots.
    You need to source a whole new watch!

It’s just a bit TOO out there for me, but I like it if it’s a new dawn of designs they are embarking on though...

OK, I admit I wouldn't buy it. But actually, the only thing about it that I absolutely hate are the skull & crossbones on the strap - and as you say, there's a better (for that read "less naff/kitsch") one in the box...

Enjoy it.

Simon

Did Gunter hand paint each dial?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    It’s just a bit TOO out there for me, but I like it if it’s a new dawn of designs they are embarking on though...
    With your well-known penchant for Steinharts, Rusty, I'm surprised you weren't at the front of the queue...

Simon

Wasn’t for me that one

Master
    If only it had more skulls.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    If only it had more skulls.
    Or if the skull was lumed......

Well done Paul, a brave choice given the reaction on here.

I can guarantee you won't see another in the wild.

Enjoy and sod public opinion - what do they know anyway...

I like Steinhart but that watch would not happen in my world..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Feels like Steinhart is trying to take inspiration from Bell Ross:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=874P42PTV4s

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Well done Paul, a brave choice given the reaction on here.

I can guarantee you won't see another in the wild.

Enjoy and sod public opinion - what do they know anyway...
    Like a lot of people I didn't know what I really liked until I'd bought a few lemons and come to understand what works for me and what doesn't. I've had my share of forum darlings that just didn't float my boat and I've got a few that get little love from the forums but are watches I adore. This is definitely the most extreme example of the latter category and just like the watch, I don't really care whether it receives a negative reaction or not.

I get exactly why this watch gets a negative reaction though, it's too big, too expensive and depending on the setting can be tacky as hell. But we're all in this for our own enjoyment of the hobby; I look at SOTC after SOTC of Submariners and SMPCs and Speedies and while I like the watches there's just nothing different between Generic Collection #574 and Forum Darlings #182 so off-the-wall nonsense like this grabs me every now and again. You know you're getting a quality product with Steinhart and that just leaves the enjoyment of something a bit different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    Feels like Steinhart is trying to take inspiration from Bell Ross:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=874P42PTV4s
    More Richard Mille.

Master
    If that was the only watch available, I'd start using my phone to tell the time......

Well done that man for just buying what floats your boat :)

you’re quite mad though

Great write up and I still like it. I agree with changing the strap though.

I was hoping that poster was a t-shirt, just so everyone would know how on-trend you are.

Craftsman
    I have absolutely no idea what to make of that! As long as you like it I guess that's all that counts!

OP. When all’s said and done now you’ve worn it - are you going to keep it? Rating out of 10?

Craftsman
    Wow just ......
    Only kidding. It’s a bold choice, I wouldn’t be brave enough but I get what you mean about wanting something unusual, and you know it’s going to be well made being Steinhart.

Don’t think I’d wear it but I like the shape ,it’s good to be different,hope you enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Nice review. Not for me but it provides much needed variety in an increasingly homogeneous world. The impressive build quality will be no surprise to anyone who has owned a Steiny.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

OP. When all’s said and done now you’ve worn it - are you going to keep it? Rating out of 10?
    I bought it to wear, I buy all my watches to wear. A rating out of ten is too difficult... It's well constructed with a couple of poor design decisions, is uncomfortable to wear, is too big and has crappy water resistance. On those quantitative measures alone it's rubbish but numbers never tell you how something makes you feel.

Master
    I bought it to wear, I buy all my watches to wear. A rating out of ten is too difficult... It's well constructed with a couple of poor design decisions, is uncomfortable to wear, is too big and has crappy water resistance. On those quantitative measures alone it's rubbish but numbers never tell you how something makes you feel.
    Sounds like a 7.... ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Bonkers watch but......
    If you like it you like it
    Enjoy

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I keep meaning to get one of these https://mrjoneswatches.com/collectio...augh-tattoo-xl

Its a bit like ahayauasca meets timex

Craftsman
    As much as I like Steinhart.... I really am not a fan of this.... I liked the teasers on instagram, first off I thought maybe a root beer.... then a skeleton watch.... but unfortunately not.... The strap reminds of something you would see on a market stall with the skull and cross bones!!

Thank you for sharing though, it’s still nice to read your comments and look at the pics. I wonder how many comments you will get when wearing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My 11 year old grandson would would love that he has a matching "No Fear" tee shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    As long as you like it I guess that's all that counts!
    Steady on, that kind of talk will have this place turning into one of those forums where nobody speaks their mind.

The watch looks like the kind of thing Keith Richards might wear if he was refereeing an episode of Robot Wars.

Just kidding PH, I can see why it appeals to those jaded by a succession of 5513s and 2254s.

Master
    Someone had to buy it I suppose.

Only joking mate. Enjoy it!

I actually quite like that apart from the skulls on the strap but as said that's easily sorted. looks like something from the "Expendables" films. How much was it if you don't mind me asking.

Edit: Just found the website. Blimey not what I'd have paid that but more power to you. Wonder what used prices of these will be like?
    Last edited by subseastu; 15th June 2018 at 01:07.

Called Steinhart and asked
    “Why are they €960”?

They replied
    “Cos they just AAAARRR”!

German humour ftw

I'm pretty sure in a few days you'll be able to contribute to the thread entitled 'People noticing and commenting on your watch', Paul!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I'm pretty sure in a few days you'll be able to contribute to the thread entitled 'People noticing and commenting on your watch', Paul!

Simon
    Happens all the time with stuff like my Maranez and G Shock, but people seem blind to things like a Smiths Everest or Longines Legend Diver, inarguably much nicer watches.

Happens all the time with stuff like my Maranez and G Shock, but people seem blind to things like a Smiths Everest or Longines Legend Diver, inarguably much nicer watches.
    I can relate to that - I have a brass Maranez Layan and that's one of the only watches I own that people notice...

Simon

Master
    To state the obvious Definitely different! I'm guessing you bought it knowing you could prob sell it on Ebay, limited production run etc.. bound/hope to be a following for them.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    To state the obvious Definitely different! I'm guessing you bought it knowing you could prob sell it on Ebay, limited production run etc.. bound/hope to be a following for them.....
    Well when it launched it sold out in 10 hours so you’re prob right

Master
    Well hopefully for the OP :-) It popped up in my email and I nearly spat out my coffee the other day- Def a bit left field for Steinhart, Fair play to them for trying something different.

Well when it launched it sold out in 10 hours so you’re prob right

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    No, I didn't. As stated above, I bought it to wear. I've had a lot of Steinharts and some sell for considerably less than RRP on the second-hand market while some hold their value very well. The ones that hold it well tend to be the likes of the Ocean 1, conservative in style which this most definitely is not. Resale value wasn't a consideration, I bought it because I liked it. The small production run was a consideration because they're likely to be very difficult to get hold of in future, not so I could milk a cash cow.

Master
    Not implying that you bought it to 'milk the cow' so to speak- I just looked at from my buying perspective, for something that different I would be thinking If I didn't bond with it, could I get out of it? Best way to buy anything, If you like buy it, everyone has different tastes-

I've had a few Steinharts and love the brand, they tend to be a bit safe and conservative as you say, it's good to see them try something a 'bit out there' good luck to them.

No, I didn't. As stated above, I bought it to wear. I've had a lot of Steinharts and some sell for considerably less than RRP on the second-hand market while some hold their value very well. The ones that hold it well tend to be the likes of the Ocean 1, conservative in style which this most definitely is not. Resale value wasn't a consideration, I bought it because I liked it. The small production run was a consideration because they're likely to be very difficult to get hold of in future, not so I could milk a cash cow.

Nice review and I almost like it, but too big and the wrong shape for me. Though if it had a lumed skull I might have been swayed.

Good on ya Paul. I quite like it. Thanks for the review.

Craftsman
    I love it...... I hate it..... I love it again. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

On the skull on the dial: a couple of folk in this thread and lots elsewhere on the internet have said they'd prefer it with a lumed skull. That's something I would have struggled with! It's probably definitely almost certainly wrong to refer to this watch as classy, but for me it would have taken away from it if it was lumed, maybe taken it into full-on tacky territory. The skull as it is is really nicely done: stainless steel, sharply cut out with a nice vertical brushing. I've had several watches with full-lume dials and it seems really hard to get a nice even coverage of lume paint, it always looks patchy and wouldn't have been something that would improve this watch.

Journeyman
    Total and utter rubbish. That is the worst looking watch and strap I’ve ever seen.

Plus (in typical Steinhart fashion) it is a fake of a Bell & Ross.

The website went down because someone tried to protect the fools and their money.

That really is awful.