closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Annuity rates

Master

Annuity rates

As I've got a small personal pension fund to do something with soon I was hoping to be able to view rates for different companies.
    In the old days the figures were published in the FT. Is this still the case?

Blog Entries
    This is something that is far more involved than simple annuity rates, how complex depends on the fund size.
    It will cost you but I would suggest speaking to your financial adviser, you don’t want to mess up on something like this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    This is something that is far more involved than simple annuity rates, how complex depends on the fund size.
    It will cost you but I would suggest speaking to your financial adviser, you don’t want to mess up on something like this.
    Yes, I know it's as you say but I would simply like to view rates for each company and I wondered if they were still available.

It's not my only pension and just something to play with as it were.

Master
    Since the pension rules change (freedom), annuities have also changed. Far more choices and options than previously and a set of tables wouldn’t really illustrate properly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought annuities were dead in the water since the pension rules changes? It's not something I would have even considered to do with my pension pot other than to exclude it. I'm not an expert though so interested to hear the comments from those who are.

There aren't many companies (if any) that will take your purchase money without some form of regulated advice being in place. Future litigation risk is just too high.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I thought annuities were dead in the water since the pension rules changes? It's not something I would have even considered to do with my pension pot other than to exclude it. I'm not an expert though so interested to hear the comments from those who are.
    I thought the whole idea of pensions was to provide an annuity, a (normally) monthly payment set at an agreed actuarial amount.

Believe it or not, I briefly worked in pensions and insurance (assurance?) many years ago.

Nothing much has changed in that trying to get a straight answer to a straight question is near impossible

An IFA is the best person to talk to, but have you considered moving it in to SIPP and when you hit 55 simply drawing down cash when you need it?

Plus the first 25% is tax free

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I thought the whole idea of pensions was to provide an annuity, a (normally) monthly payment set at an agreed actuarial amount.

Believe it or not, I briefly worked in pensions and insurance (assurance?) many years ago.

Nothing much has changed in that trying to get a straight answer to a straight question is near impossible
    No- whilst an annuity still has a place in pension provision particularly for the risk averse, drawdown is the way forward for lots of people- keeping your money invested throughout retirement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    An IFA is the best person to talk to, but have you considered moving it in to SIPP and when you hit 55 simply drawing down cash when you need it?

Plus the first 25% is tax free
    He may not need to move it as some of the more recent personal pensions support drawdown. His Personal pension is also likely to give 25% tax free.

Agree he should be speaking to an IFA- first meeting is usually free.

The money advice service have a calculator that will return rates from the big insurers:

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...e/your-details

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Buy the FT then, then you’ll have your straight answer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swatch View Post
    The money advice service have a calculator that will return rates from the big insurers:

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...e/your-details
    Thanks, just what I wanted

Master
    with the recent changes to pension rules drawdown has become more popular but there is still a place for annuities. they also.benefitted from the shake up and the rule change i find most useful is the potential to include guarantees up to 30 years (up from 10).

horses for courses

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    No- whilst an annuity still has a place in pension provision particularly for the risk averse, drawdown is the way forward for lots of people- keeping your money invested throughout retirement.
    This is what my FA advised me to do, said the returns on annuities are just not comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    This is what my FA advised me to do, said the returns on annuities are just not comparable.

Yes, I bet the ongoing fees on drawdown offer a better return to a FA.
    There is still a place for both annuities and drawdown and I suspect for larger pots a hybrid of the two.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swatch View Post
    Yes, I bet the ongoing fees on drawdown offer a better return to a FA.
    There is still a place for both annuities and drawdown and I suspect for larger pots a hybrid of the two.
    There are only ongoing fees if you choose to have ongoing advice. You could choose not to in both cases.