closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Penlee Lifeboat disaster, BBC4 NOW!

Penlee Lifeboat disaster, BBC4 NOW!

Watch it if you can. Very moving.

Box is set to record this while Slapper Island is on.

Master
    iPlayer link. I've not watched it yet but looks like a must watch. Heroic indeed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...uggid=b00794gz

I think the recording " Penlee Lifeboat, Penlee Lifeboat, Penlee Lifeboat, Falmouth Coastguard.." then static, is possibly the saddest thing I've ever heard.

Indeed. The comment later from the helicopter pilot always chokes me up (from Wikipedia)

"Lt Cdr Smith USN, the pilot of the rescue helicopter, later reported that:[10]
    The greatest act of courage that I have ever seen, and am ever likely to see, was the penultimate courage and dedication shown by the Penlee [crew] when it manoeuvred back alongside the casualty in over 60 ft breakers and rescued four people shortly after the Penlee had been bashed on top of the casualty's hatch covers. They were truly the bravest eight men I've ever seen, who were also totally dedicated to upholding the highest standards of the RNLI."

Blog Entries
    just watching this now, a couple of my mates volunteer on the staithes lifeboat, big respect for these guys and girls, and for no pay.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I watched it - it was a gripping programme. Incredibly moving but desperately sad.

Craftsman
    I just watched a very powerful moving program .Very brave people .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    just watching this now, a couple of my mates volunteer on the staithes lifeboat, big respect for these guys and girls, and for no pay.
    that was powerful stuff, saline liquid down my face......

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    I think the recording " Penlee Lifeboat, Penlee Lifeboat, Penlee Lifeboat, Falmouth Coastguard.." then static, is possibly the saddest thing I've ever heard.
    Yes indeed. It was a very moving film and those were brave men to attempt to save the crew on the stricken vessel. I've always had a great deal of respect for the RNLI and watching the film made me decide that the next time I amend my will, I'll ensure they get something.

I don't like that they refer to this sad incident as a '..disaster' - when it was a show of such skill and bravery, they knew there was a small chance of rescuing some people yet they went straight out and did it anyway.
    very sad it turned out the way it did with great loss of life - but while there was that small chance they went-balls in and straight to it - knowing the probably outcome. (the coxswain turned down a guy for the trip, he was reluctant to take out two members of the same family that night.)

Just doing their unpaid volunteer jobs. amazing. humbling.
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 25th June 2018 at 15:47.

I seem to have an unusual affinity to this event as it happened on the eve of my birth, very brave men indeed and a truly sad loss for all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Yes indeed. It was a very moving film and those were brave men to attempt to save the crew on the stricken vessel. I've always had a great deal of respect for the RNLI and watching the film made me decide that the next time I amend my will, I'll ensure they get something.
    I have gone the other way recently. I have sailed almost all my life and when I came to this country I naturally switched from the SNSM to the RNLI.
    But recent headlines have illustrated how the culture had changed.
    They now have paid managers to take control of the volunteers (who are as brave as they ever were).
    And it gives that sort of headlines:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...d=tmg_share_fb

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...stitution.html

And advertised a job at £100k+ for
    . . providing strategic focus and direction for the delivery of an integrated community lifesaving strategy that enables the RNLI to engage and educate the community to effectively deliver lifesaving services.
    So I withdrew my support. I am sure none of the managers will lose any sleep over it, mind.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I have gone the other way recently. I have sailed almost all my life and when I came to this country I naturally switched from the SNSM to the RNLI.
    But recent headlines have illustrated how the culture had changed.
    They now have paid managers to take control of the volunteers (who are as brave as they ever were).
    And it gives that sort of headlines:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...d=tmg_share_fb

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...stitution.html

And advertised a job at £100k+ for

So I withdrew my support. I am sure none of the managers will lose any sleep over it, mind.
    That's sad and seems all too common in the charity sector. Thanks for replying.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations