closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex OP 39 vs DJ 41 (smooth bezel) dial size

Journeyman

Rolex OP 39 vs DJ 41 (smooth bezel) dial size

Looking at getting one of these as a posh office watch and wondering about the actual or "perceived" comparison in dial size for my skinny 7" wrists.

Any thoughts or insights appreciated since I've read the DJ41 is closer to 39 mm in reality.

Thanks in advance.

Master
    Well, let's see. The 41mm is , to my eye, a pretty normal size, certainly not at all large or obtrusive. Here's a comparison.
    These range from 38.5mm (the Grand Seiko on the top row) to 43mm (the IWC on the bottom). Compare the grey-dial Rolex against the black dial Glashutte on the top row. That's 40mm. The gold omega Chrono is a small 39mm. You can see that the DJ and Daytona are about the same size. And no-one says the Daytona is a big watch.
    On the wrist, the DJ is quite unobtrusive, to my eye anyway. There are people who think anything over 38mm is too big. I don't agree.
    As for the 'for the office' stuff. Yes, lovely, but the DJ is a genuine 10 ATM design , with screw-down crown and a movement as shock-proof as that in the Sea Dweller. You can wear it anywhere.
    Btw: four of those six have been sold. Discipline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 6th June 2018 at 16:16.

Master
    I'd like to see a scientifically accurate comparison, but I think the watches are actually quite similarly sized. The dials may even be exactly the same size, which would make sense from a manufacturing point of view. I wonder if they use the same hands, which they appear to, in which case the dials are indeed the same size. The bezel appears to be a touch wider on the DJ and the lugs are a bit fatter.

On an even skinnier 6.5" wrist you can get away with either but I always get the feeling the OP39 is 1mm too big for me, which is confirmed by the 'just right' 38mm Omega AT. Oddly I feel as if the OP39 wears slightly larger than the DJ41, maybe something to do with the dial to bezel ratio?

With a 7" wrist I think you'd be fine with either, while I'll be stuck dreaming of the non-existent Oyster Perpetual 38.

Here's a DJ41 on my 7.25" wrist.

To me it looks no different to any of the 40mm sports watches that I have owned. Then again, get a ruler out and look how big 1mm is

Master
    I'm not that keen on the 'sports' Rolex models (apart from unobtainable ceramic Daytona's !) as I don't like Mercedes hands . However I really like that blue dial Datejust - and the white dialled OP that Wayne had recently for a short while and offered up on SC.. They seem quite reasonably priced and readily available without jumping through hoops and cards being witheld etc..I would love to own either of them, preferably both :)

question for the Rolex folk on here; do you think the OP 39 will get that new movement with the 70 hr pr ? sorry if that has been asked and answered before.. I think I slightly prefer the lack of numbers on the dial on the OP compared to the Datejust, though it would not be a deal breaker as that dial ^^ is luvly... thanks,
    Last edited by bry nylon; 6th June 2018 at 19:54.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ratty_uk2011 View Post
    Looking at getting one of these as a posh office watch and wondering about the actual or "perceived" comparison in dial size for my skinny 7" wrists.

Any thoughts or insights appreciated since I've read the DJ41 is closer to 39 mm in reality.

Thanks in advance.
    I’ve read this about the Dj too. However I’ve been looking at the blue dial recently myself and would observe:

Dj does look a bigger watch than the OP (not hugely) . I think the bracelet is 1mm wider (21 v 20??) which will help make it look bigger.

On the dj, smooth bezel looks a bit “chunkier” than fluted.

Oyster bracelet also makes the watch look chunkier than jubilee.

I know the dimensions are the same, but to me at least, the smooth surfaces make for a larger appearance.

My wrist is 7” and the dj 41 felt an average size watch. Certainly not overly large.

Master
    I’ve owned a OP39 in the past and currently have a DJ41. To me the DJ certainly feels larger on the wrist, albeit probably not by much. Not a 100% direct comparison as my DJ is two tone and has a fluted bezel but I think it has more wrist presence. I believe the DJ is also slightly thicker which gives it a different feel on the wrist. I found the OP39 overall underwhelming. Perhaps that’s why people may actually like it but the DJ’s polished centre links on the bracelet and clasp with easy link extension give the whole overall watch a lift. Here are some pics for reference on my 6.5inch wrist.

Grand Master
    To my eyes both watches are too big, you’d be better with the 36mm. I have small wrists (6.75”) and that’s my choice because it simply fits better.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Here are some pics for reference on my 6.5inch wrist. !
    michael You’ve shrunk!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    To my eyes both watches are too big, you’d be better with the 36mm. I have small wrists (6.75”) and that’s my choice because it simply fits better.

Paul
    I knew the inevitable “it’s too big” comment was coming...not the OP’s topic though...more on the relative size between the two models.

To my eyes, and wrist, both watches are fine...and it’s me that’s wearing them. I think it’s better I decide what looks good or not on me.

The look of a watch has to be taken in context of not just the wrist in isolation but the whole body of the person wearing it which you can’t tell from the pic.

Master
    Yes, this is an entirely personal choice. For me, a variety of watches between 38mm and 42mm 'work.' A lot depends on the design. Most 40mm type Rolexes are ok. In general, if there's doubt, it's probably too big.

Grand Master
    I have small wrists for a man, that's not going to change, so I wear what fits rather than convince myself a larger watch looks OK. In the case of the Datejust, the ideal 36mm size is still available, there's no way I`d try to convince myself that the larger size looked better. The watch itself always looks better in the smaller size, the design just seems to work nicely.

I guess there's a fashion aspect too, where the watch is supposed to look big, that's another thing I don`t really get.

Master
    I have small wrists for a man, that's not going to change, so I wear what fits rather than convince myself a larger watch looks OK. In the case of the Datejust, the ideal 36mm size is still available, there's no way I`d try to convince myself that the larger size looked better. The watch itself always looks better in the smaller size, the design just seems to work nicely.

I guess there's a fashion aspect too, where the watch is supposed to look big, that's another thing I don`t really get.
    The only person doing the convincing is you trying to tell me what I like. Everything you’ve just said is subjective. You think the smaller watch looks better and it’s you who thinks 36mm is ideal, what has that got to do with what I like and I want to wear?

I don’t like the colour green...if I see someone wearing a green t-shirt I don’t go up to them and tell them they are wrong and a red t-shirt will look better. I’m not going to try and convince them of why they should wear a red t-shirt over a green t-shirt am I because that would be ridiculous. Same applies to watches. The only rule to wearing a watch is that you wear what you like.

Master

Paul
    Don't forget that those are close up pictures taken on a phone with a wide angle lens, and will look nothing like real life. Holding the phone as far away as possible and zooming in a bit usually gets better results.

Nonetheless, I agree that with a 6.5" wrist, while both models look ok from a distance, say across a room or in a full length mirror, they look larger than I'd like from close up, when you're actually reading the time yourself. Vintage sizes seem to be for the benefit of the wearer, modern sizes more for showing the watch to everyone else. This won't be the case at >7", and it will also depend on height, build, wrist shape and wardrobe. But I believe that a well sized watch should look good both close up and from a distance, so these sizes can be a bit borderline with slim writs. I'm wearing a 38mm vintage Seiko Skyliner right now and it's just perfectly sized. It's amazing that 1mm less than a 39mm watch, or a couple of mm more than a 36mm could make such a huge difference but it really does.

For smaller wrists, there's always the 36mm model, but the proportions aren't as nice as they used to be on vintage models IMO. They've attempted to bulk them up for modern tastes by changing the case shape, instead of making a slightly larger watch with the same perfect proportions, which would require actually changing the dial size and hands, or could even mean new movements - which is what they've done for the OP39s and DJs, but it's a big jump. In photos the OP39 looks better proportioned than the 36mm in my opinion, but in reality on a small wrist it can have a bit too much of what people call 'wrist presence', aka 'Look at my enormous Rolex', or 'the watch wearing you'. Those here with slightly larger wrists should count their blessings as you'll have none of these issues, though probably won't enjoy vintage as much.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 7th June 2018 at 12:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    '. Those here with slightly larger wrists should count their blessings as you'll have none of these issues,
    There is no issue, well apart from people telling me what size watch I should wear...

Let’s get back to the OP’s topic...DJ41 is and wears bigger than the OP39 due to slightly wider and thicker case.

Master
    There is no issue, well apart from people telling me what size watch I should wear...

Let’s get back to the OP’s topic...DJ41 is and wears bigger than the OP39 due to slightly wider and thicker case.
    I'm not telling you what to wear, I'm simply giving my opinion of how they wear on my own wrist, according to my own taste and criteria. And in any case, I doubt the photos you posted are an accurate representation of how they look in real life due to the usual issues with phone pictures.

Personally with a 6.5" wrist I find the 38mm Omega AT wears slightly better, though the black / white OP39s appeal more.

Grand Master
    I’m stating my opinion, not telling you what size watch you should wear, why be so sensitive about it?

The trend towards larger watches is relatively recent, at the age of 60 I’ve been wearing watches for many years and I still find it bizarre that fashions have changed towards large watches. This creates a dillema for those with smaller wrists, do they follow fashion or stick to wearing something sensibly sized for their wrist? I stick with what I know looks right.

Several years ago I was convinced I’d like the 39mm original Omega Aqua Terra, I was happy wearing a SMP at around 40mm so I expected the 39mm AT to look right. However, on the wrist it looked like a dinner plate, so I tried the mid-size 36.2mm and it looked fine. I ended up owning two over the years and regret selling one. I also owned a 36mm 116200 Datejust, a watch that certainly doesn’t lack wrist presence and seems to wear bigger than it actually is.

Some folks seem to like the dinner-plate look, with the watch filling the whole wrist and the lugs almost overlapping; I don’t, I think it looks wrong, and when the same watch is available in a size that’s more appropriate for the smaller wrist I fail to understand the logic behind the choice.

Larger fashion watches you say, dinner plates you say.... don't know what you're talking about!

(My wrist btw, but definitely not my watch)

Master
    I’m stating my opinion, not telling you what size watch you should wear, why be so sensitive about it?
    It’s not even what the OP was asking about but people still feel the need to state an irrelevant opinion. Also, not all model configurations are available in different sizes.

Don’t worry, I’m not being sensitive, I’m quite relaxed about it all, just don’t get the fascination of people liking to comment to others how they they think, in their opinion, the watch they are wearing is too big for them.

Journeyman
    Thanks all for the thoughts and insights.

Called by the Milton Keynes AD this lunchtime and the planets were aligned - they had a OP39 blue dial and DJ41 oyster bracelet / black dial / smooth bezel in the window. I had already decided on oyster and blue dial, so in I went for a cup of tea and try on, and in no particular order I found:

* The DIAL diameter measured across the glass is 31 vs 33 mm, so DJ does have a physically larger dial
    * The DJ does have a disproportionally larger case and heft than the increase in dial size would suggest, but not excessively so
    * DJ still fits well under a cuff though since it's not too tall and the lugs taper and wrap nicely
    * OP dial looks fussy to me with one crown, three batons and eight green hour pips. DJ looks cleaner with one crown, the cyclops and 10 batons. I suppose this is exaggerated by the smaller dial areas. The minute numbers above the batons on the DJ are so small they don't register at first glance unless you really look for them.
    * I couldn't see a difference in bracelet width but forget to measure it (sorry)

To answer my own opening question regarding "how large they wear on my 7" wrist" - both were OK and I would be delighted with either if the other didn't exist

But they do, and so the outcome?

I'm used to wearing larger sports watches (Speedy Pro Moonwatch and Tudor BB Red) AND I preferred the DJ dial design, so the AD is moving a DJ41 blue dial from another branch for me to try and buy in a couple of days.
    Last edited by ratty_uk2011; 7th June 2018 at 14:38.

When you see pictures from 50 or 60 years ago of blokes wearing watches the size of a modern day 10p they do look rather silly.

Take a look at Kim Jong-un's watch, it is a dot of a thing strapped on his big fat wrist. Looks like some emergency thing you would wear in hospital.

Let's hear it for big watches

Master
    Good job. I agree that the dials on the OP can appear fussy with the coloured pips.

Look forward to seeing pics of the DJ41 blue dial!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    When you see pictures from 50 or 60 years ago of blokes wearing watches the size of a modern day 10p they do look rather silly.

Take a look at Kim Jong-un's watch, it is a dot of a thing strapped on his big fat wrist. Looks like some emergency thing you would wear in hospital.

Let's hear it for big watches
    My dear old departed grandad was a big man, 18 stone with hands like shovels...

This was his watch...

Grand Master
    36mm 116200 Datejust on my 6.75" wrist.

Gone but not forgotten, and the perfect size.

Craftsman

To answer my own opening question regarding "how large they wear on my 7" wrist" - both were OK and I would be delighted with either if the other didn't exist

But they do, and so the outcome?

I'm used to wearing larger sports watches (Speedy Pro Moonwatch and Tudor BB Red) AND I preferred the DJ dial design, so the AD is moving a DJ41 blue dial from another branch for me to try and buy in a couple of days.
    I think you’ve reached the right conclusion there (in other words, I agree😀).

There’s something really nice about that blue dial.

I’ve never even considered a Datejust until very recently but find myself drawn to the fluted w/g bezel and ss jubilee. The bezel adds just a bit of bling which i don’t usually go for, but really like on this watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    I’ve never even considered a Datejust until very recently but find myself drawn to the fluted w/g bezel and ss jubilee. The bezel adds just a bit of bling which i don’t usually go for, but really like on this watch.
    I *really* considered fluted / jubilee / blue dial but I don't have the whatevers to carry that off

// embarrassed

I *really* considered fluted / jubilee / blue dial but I don't have the whatevers to carry that off

// embarrassed
    I tried on a fluted/jubilee/light grey with diamonds today and loved it darling.

Craftsman
    36mm 116200 Datejust on my 6.75" wrist.

Gone but not forgotten, and the perfect size.

That's good to know. My wrist is a similar size and I've been toying with getting a 36mm Rolex next. Your picture confirms that the size is perfect imo. Thanks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    I tried on a fluted/jubilee/light grey with diamonds today and loved it darling.
    I draw the line firmly at diamonds😀😀

I draw the line firmly at diamonds
    I would have agreed with you until I tried it on.

Grand Master
    I prefer the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet on the earlier Datejusts ( I own two, one bimetal and one steel/ white gold), but for some reason I much prefer the smooth bezel / Oyster combo on the later style. I almost bought a 116203 bimetal version several years ago, it’s a watch I still like, but I can’t justify the price for a watch that I’d hardly wear.

My advice to anyone is to keep an open mind and try the smaller version before dismissing it. They wear totally different compared to a diver or chrono, and the fatter lugs do make the watch seem bigger. To me, the design loses something in scale-up.

I sometimes regret parting with my 116200, especially at the price I sold it. Only drawback is the polished centre links which show all the scratches........and that damned roulette date wheel which I really didn’t like.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    I would have agreed with you until I tried it on.
    I did actually try one on myself - it was the only option to try the fluted bezel/ oyster combination.

It didn’t feel overly bling, but really not me. Mind you, I’d have said that about a fluted bezel until very recently.... give it a few weeks😀

I did actually try one on myself - it was the only option to try the fluted bezel/ oyster combination.

It didn’t feel overly bling, but really not me. Mind you, I’d have said that about a fluted bezel until very recently.... give it a few weeks
    On a serious note, the dial with batons, fluted bezel and jubilee would be quite retro and look good day to day or for more formal occasions.

[...]I've read the DJ41 is closer to 39 mm in reality[...]
    Affirmative.

........and that damned roulette date wheel which I really didn’t like.

Paul
    I really like the roulette wheel. No idea why but I do.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Affirmative.

I would have been thrown out if I'd tried that :) It was all I could do to get the AD to measure the dual size.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I really like the roulette wheel. No idea why but I do.
    I liked it for 50% of the time

Journeyman

Just to close my part - very happy I went for the DJ41 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations! Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Affirmative.

So if the diameter is actually 39.52mm, why on earth is it called a DJ41?!

Simon

I don’t know. It just is.