closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2018 Rolex DSSD - New & Old side by side comparison

Master

2018 Rolex DSSD - New & Old side by side comparison

I was fortunate enough to pick up the new, updated 2018 DSSD on Monday - big thanks to Ryan for facilitating it. I already had the original so I just took a few very quick snaps of them side by side, to highlight the differences for those who might be interested. Sorry the photos aren't the best, not a lot of time this morning!

The new one is on the right. The differences that I can see are: slimmer lugs, wider bracelet and clasp, end links are now flush with the lugs, small crown on the dial at 6 o'clock between swiss made, the writing on the dial appears smaller, and finally of course it runs the new 3235 movement with 70hr power reserve. I weighed them and the new version is 4g heavier.

Although the differences are subtle, they do combine to make this a nice upgrade over the original.

Master
    Thanks for this. There was another member who thought the new one wore bigger... the lugs matching the end links would make the watch longer I guess, so maybe the new one really does wear larger.

I think the fit of the lug end pieces makes a difference. The rest - not so much

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Thanks for this. There was another member who thought the new one wore bigger... the lugs matching the end links would make the watch longer I guess, so maybe the new one really does wear larger.
    I'd be inclined to agree, it feels marginally bigger.

Is it me or does the new one look wider on the lugs the side shot

Master
    Thanks for sharing - great pictures and it's the first time I can really see any difference in photos . . . . that said the difference to me is very small and wouldn't really be very noticeable on the wrist.

Maybe too early to ask, but would you keep both?

The matching endlinks look lot better on new one, overall subtle upgrade I would say.

Interesting, and with the new movements as well it’s certainly an upgrade.The other thing that occurs to me is that Rolex have clearly decided that the previous end link fit “issue” needed to be addressed. Not sure why they made that design decision in the first place as it was clearly a bit naff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Thanks for sharing - great pictures and it's the first time I can really see any difference in photos . . . . that said the difference to me is very small and wouldn't really be very noticeable on the wrist.

Maybe too early to ask, but would you keep both?
    Yes the differences are small and I hadn't actually planned to change it for that reason. It was simply a spur of the moment decision when I saw Ryan's heads up! But I'm very happy with it and do prefer it overall. I wouldn't keep both - I imagine the original version will go - I wouldn't mind replacing it with a D-Blue!

Master
    Do the plots look marginally smaller on the new one?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Do the plots look marginally smaller on the new one?
    I've just looked through a loupe - the plots appear the same size, but what is definitely different is the thickness of the white gold surrounds - they are noticeably thicker on the new version.

Master
    ^^ That's giving me the impression they look smaller, and I think I prefer it.

Congrats on the purchase too, two great watches.

Hour hand is longer and slimmer too.

Master
    I have tried one and the differences to the case/bracelet situation are quite a noticeable change on the wrist, and not for the better for my taste.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by taz11 View Post
    Is it me or does the new one look wider on the lugs the side shot
    It's definitely wider, I was surprised that the new one is bigger overall.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I have tried one and the differences to the case/bracelet situation are quite a noticeable change on the wrist, and not for the better for my taste.
    I prefer the new one :)

Craftsman
    Thanks for posting the pics. I had the old one until last week and whilst the SEL/bracelet fit never bothered me I do think the new version is an improvement, visually at least.

Master
    When some of the early Blacks were around £5k I thought they were a steal. At £7k I think I’d wait and pay RRP for a Cameron.
    Proper Tool Watch and that Dial will be sending us misty-eyed and lamenting how cheap they used to be in 20 years time.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Looks good.I could have sworn that the case size when they came out was 43mm (always stuck in my mind) now everyone says its a 44mm…The lugs looking thinner,is this due to the 20mm ends instead of 19mm on the old one or is the case shape trimmed on the new one?
    Last edited by peter2704; 13th June 2018 at 21:24.

Master
    Interesting to see the differences - descriptions don't really tell the full story.

Craftsman
    It appears the bezel pip has been set lower in the new one? Good idea,I always feel it's the most vulnerable part of mine.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    It appears the bezel pip has been set lower in the new one? Good idea,I always feel it's the most vulnerable part of mine.
    Yes, it's flatter this time.

New bracelet/end link setup is much better now.

I’d have one of these if I could carry off the size.

Master
    It is good to see these two side by side, the main noticeable change is the end links.
    I do believe that there was a purpose in the protruding end links, in the pictures both watches are fitted to similar cushions. The new bracelet does not follow the curve of the cushion as well as the old one.

Master
    With the old version the size of the bracelet really hampered what was actually a pretty comfortable watch to wear. The slight increase in this width is more than welcome. Hopefully the price of the old version will go down and i can pick one up cheap to wear on a rubber strap :)