closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New arrival - Explorer II 2001

Craftsman

Wink New arrival - Explorer II 2001

Hi guys,

After my previous posts, I finally got my Explorer II 2001 this week:

There really is something special about a Rolex! I didn't believe it until I tried it. Now trying to share wrist time with the PAM!

Nice one.

These really are great value for knocking about in. I’ve been wearing mine all week actually.

Great value, and I much prefer the EXPII models to the GMT’s.
    It's just a matter of time...

Looks lovely.

Congratulations!!! Very nice! I had an old '96 tritium EXP11, black dial, sold it about 5 yrs ago now. Lovely watch, really wish I'd kept it, what the hell was I thinking of letting it go for so little... bloody fool.

Love this watch. Always been one of my favourite Rolexes, and a very tempting entry point into the brand. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    It looks great! I am now considering one as I am almost giving up on finding a decent seamaster great white available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Great value, and I much prefer the EXPII models to the GMT’s.
    I agree re the value and that it’s a great watch but mine hasn’t yet got my GMT off my wrist!

Apprentice
    Looks lovely,congrats

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Cracking watch.

They Must be the best value sports Rolex out there. Compared to GMT’s and Subs they are way behind where they are.

I think these are a definite sleeper and will do doubt one day soon start to go the way of all the other models.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Cracking watch.

They Must be the best value sports Rolex out there. Compared to GMT’s and Subs they are way behind where they are.

I think these are a definite sleeper and will do doubt one day soon start to go the way of all the other models.

Neil
    Someone on here did a mock up of a polar explorer with a black ceramic bezel. If Rolex ever make it then I reckon these will go ballistic!

Lovely, well done. Is it just me, or does the ExpII grow on you subliminally? A few years ago I really didn’t think they were all that, but I do really love the look of them now.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Lovely, well done. Is it just me, or does the ExpII grow on you subliminally? A few years ago I really didn’t think they were all that, but I do really love the look of them now.
    I think it’s a case of Rolex doing what they did best ie build a robust yet unpretentious tool watch that oozes quality.

They seem to have lost the unpretentious bit of late.

Craftsman
    This is what happened to me - saw one on here & its been growing on me for the past couple of years. When I tried it - the trigger had to be pulled

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Someone on here did a mock up of a polar explorer with a black ceramic bezel. If Rolex ever make it then I reckon these will go ballistic!
    The black dialled version is my favourite Rolex by far, would love to see this if you know where it is?

Craftsman
    That's really lovely OP.

I don't care much for most of the Rolex range, but there's something I find very attractive about an Explorer II GMT, they're definitely on the hit list.

I'm with you on this - when l first saw one l was very irresolute as to how l felt about them.
    Now they are one of the few models in the range that can overcome my cyclops dislike to the point where l could see myself wearing one. Perhaps down to how understated they are - l think that, on rolex's more (cough) flamboyant offerings, the cyclops can look like a cherry on top of an already messy cake.

I'm also inclined to agree with an earlier post to the effect that the prices of these will eventually start to accelerate to some degree. Though the default submariner will always hold its position.

New arrival - Explorer II 2001

This is still the only Rolex I really fancy.

I have wanted one since I saw one on the wrist of an Australian customer I worked with in Hong Kong back in the early 90’s. Beaten to hell, and with a crystal you could barely see through, it is the timepiece that in all reality started my interest in watches. I subsequently bought a 5513, but the Explorer II is the watch I have always wanted.

Out of interest, which of the versions would people generally recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    This is still the only Rolex I really fancy.

Out of interest, which of the versions would people generally recommend?
    There’s no real consensus on that; some folk prefer the five 40mm model (me included) whilst others prefer the larger size of the newer 42mm version. Black or white dial also seems fairly equally split although I’d say that maybe the white dial edges it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    There’s no real consensus on that; some folk prefer the five 40mm model (me included) whilst others prefer the larger size of the newer 42mm version. Black or white dial also seems fairly equally split although I’d say that maybe the white dial edges it.
    Many thanks.

For me dial choice is easy. It would have to be the white version, as that's what the Australian was wearing.

I guess a 40mm would match my 5513.

I'll have to start looking more seriously and get to try each.

Craftsman
    ^^ tried the newer & larger model but didnt feel right for me... Even coming from my PAM (which i've kept) I still prefer the 40mm