closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Vacheron Constantin experts here ?

Any Vacheron Constantin experts here ?

I’ve been reading about the holy trinity quite a bit and the history of these watch brands is fascinating.
    The PP, AP, VC axis - however debatable this may be.
    When did VC start making their own movements and stop using JLC movements ?

Do VC’s with JLC movements command lower values (not that I’m against JLC). .... and ideas of rough production numbers ... less than Rolex, but more than AP and PP presumably.

I’ve also fallen in love with this watch... seems great value imho.
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/watch/5042g8

Master
    I can't help I'm afraid, my only experience of the crossover was a Vacheron coin watch many years ago which ran a super slim JLC.
    As far as I'm aware they are both held in equally high regard - it's not like the difference between a company swapping from ETA to in-house and instantly becoming more desirable, I reckon the values will be roughly the same.

I only wanted to address the irony of a member named UK Bowel Doc having to ask about "movements". *snigger*.

Sorry, it's late.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I can't help I'm afraid, my only experience of the crossover was a Vacheron coin watch many years ago which ran a super slim JLC.
    As far as I'm aware they are both held in equally high regard - it's not like the difference between a company swapping from ETA to in-house and instantly becoming more desirable, I reckon the values will be roughly the same.

I only wanted to address the irony of a member named UK Bowel Doc having to ask about "movements". *snigger*.

Sorry, it's late.
    LOL

I believe that VC make less than both AP and PP, and obviously hundreds of thousands less than Rolex. I think it was about 20k a year around five years ago and doubt it has increased much in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I believe that VC make less than both AP and PP, and obviously hundreds of thousands less than Rolex. I think it was about 20k a year around five years ago and doubt it has increased much in that time.
    Thanks.
    I’m edging closer to that VC

Quote Originally Posted by Ukboweldoc View Post
    Thanks.
    I’m edging closer to that VC
    Suggest you view the watch before buying. I could be wrong but Watchfinder may have got the size wrong. They list it at 40mm and everyone else selling one lists at 36mm.

When did VC start making their own movements and stop using JLC movements ?

Do VC’s with JLC movements command lower values
    I would imagine that a very significant proportion of the cost of a movement in a VC watch relates to the work that VC have done on it before casing it, no matter where it came from - I can't imagine anyone turning their nose up at a watch containing an 1120 just because the movement started life as a JLC 920?

Master
    VC also used Girard Perregaux ebauches, for instance in the first generation Overseas. They were significantly modified to improve the design, decorated and given a gold edged rotor. The idea that movements should be completely ‘in house’ is a relatively recent obsession that often adds cost and makes servicing more expensive. It never used to worry anyone that the most iconic models from AP and PP shared the same JLC caliber, and the great brands were famous for decorating and housing the movements rather than making them. An ‘in house’ movement makes a nice selling point, but you can also get one from Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Suggest you view the watch before buying. I could be wrong but Watchfinder may have got the size wrong. They list it at 40mm and everyone else selling one lists at 36mm.
    Thanks - appreciate this info

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I would imagine that a very significant proportion of the cost of a movement in a VC watch relates to the work that VC have done on it before casing it, no matter where it came from - I can't imagine anyone turning their nose up at a watch containing an 1120 just because the movement started life as a JLC 920?
    Good point ...

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    VC also used Girard Perregaux ebauches, for instance in the first generation Overseas. They were significantly modified to improve the design, decorated and given a gold edged rotor. The idea that movements should be completely ‘in house’ is a relatively recent obsession that often adds cost and makes servicing more expensive. It never used to worry anyone that the most iconic models from AP and PP shared the same JLC caliber, and the great brands were famous for decorating and housing the movements rather than making them. An ‘in house’ movement makes a nice selling point, but you can also get one from Seiko.
    Agree entirely

Master
    Agree entirely
    Perhaps I should declare an interest in this, as I have a VC with a GP based movement, and an AP with a JLC. Neither have display backs and I can’t say I’ve lost any sleep over it. If I had a more recent watch with a display back and a particularly unique in-house movement, perhaps I’d see things differently and enjoy that.

I think though that the in-house craze is also a reaction to the ubiquity of ETA movements in overpriced cases a few years back. That’s not to say there was anything wrong with the movements, they were perfectly good, but the watches came to feel mass produced and interchangeable, and many of the brands that appeared felt like inauthentic marketing exercises with invented heritage. A JLC in a VC or AP certainly doesn’t have that feeling though, the heritage actually supports it and certain JLC movements are legendary.