closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Fieldmaster SBEP005 mini review

Craftsman

Seiko Fieldmaster SBEP005 mini review

At last I’ve managed to have a good play with my new arrival and take a few mediocre photos of the new digital Tuna.

I pre-ordered from Rakuten during a discount promotion via From Japan and the process was seamless. For those that don’t know, you pay From Japan to buy it for you then once they’ve received it you get an email and you pay for the shipping method you want. Anyway....

For full specs see here -

https://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/collec...rospex/SBEP005

The series has quite a few variations but I chose the 005 as my watch box could do with a little gold bling.

First impressions were “bloody hell thats big”
    but as others have said I think it wears smaller due to the lack of normal lugs. It’s also very light for a watch of it’s size.
    The negative display is very clear and the information is laid out well and legible.
    The rotating bezel is bi-directional but is smooth rotating with no clicks, which feels weird when your used to the more positive feedback of a tradition bezel, it is used with the digital minute markers that count around the display.
    The buttons on this model are a gold coloured metal and tactile to touch, the three on left are etched with concentric circles and the mode button on the right cross etched. The strap on the 005 is silicon/rubber stuff with a gold coloured metal buckle and is tremendously comfy and though on the long side the keeper does a good job of keeping excess tidy.

Functions are all covered in the manual (with English section) but include all the usual digital bells and whistles including alarm, world time, solar charging/battery status and countdown timer (with repeating function).
    The stopwatch has the handy ability to store 100 data values laps/splits etc and can work out bests/worsts and averages per timed session which is cool. These can all be recalled in a separate menu.

Unlike G-shocks the back-light isn’t activated by a button or movement but by tapping the screen. The sensitivity of the tap can be adjusted too but there does seem to be a knack to getting it right. The backlight is just the right brightness to see in the dark but not retina burning bright.
    EDIT - I’ve just realised a firm rotational shake of the wrist activates it too.

So do I like it? Yeah!!!
    It seems a bit more sophisticated than my G-shocks even though it lacks radio time setting (I have a 5610 and a Riseman) addition of that feature would have been the icing on the cake.

Since I’ve bored you enough already I’ll just finish this with a series of my distinctly average iPhone photos.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by joe1978; 13th June 2018 at 00:15.

Many thanks for taking the time to post this read and the pictures. Great reading. I do wish that we could see more of this sort of effort on here 👍👍👍

Master
    Thanks for the review. I do wish Seiko would stop making watches so big though. I wouldn’t even contemplate one of these due to the size.

Pretty cool though!

Nicely written review - many thanks. It does look big but not outrageously so. The functionality sounds great and I quite like the gold against the black and can see why you chose that model.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    It's something not too pricey and not a Rolex so makes a wee change haha.

Think it's pretty unlikely that they'll be in the shops in the UK to see one in the flesh for some time so thought I'd try to show what it's like in case anyone wanted to source one for themselves.

Joe

Good read, thanks for taking the time to post your pics and review. I think I'll have to try one of these.

Master

Cool

Nice review/pics Joe thx

Thanks for doing this, well done.
    I am totally surprised this is a friction bezel, gobsmacked.
    Cheers
    Dave

Craftsman
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Thanks, nice review. Interesting watch and one I'm keen to see in the flesh as travel watch. I've never had a great deal of success with the r/c watches in my collection-never seem to update quickly. So not really a factor is it can cover TZs. Stupid question, but what is the purpose of the bezel on a digital watch?

There's a good video review on these here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuuKCMQQPqI

(Warning: Potentially controversial).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Thanks, nice review. Interesting watch and one I'm keen to see in the flesh as travel watch. I've never had a great deal of success with the r/c watches in my collection-never seem to update quickly. So not really a factor is it can cover TZs. Stupid question, but what is the purpose of the bezel on a digital watch?
    The digital display markers are minute markers in normal time mode so can be used as a kind of minute hand for the bezel functionality.
    Joe

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    There's a good video review on these here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuuKCMQQPqI

(Warning: Potentially controversial).
    Nice to see negative reviews of it too.
    The touch light does have a knack to it but I had it sussed in a couple of minutes. There’s another reviewer below this one that loves all the features so this could become a definite marmite piece!

Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post
    Nice to see negative reviews of it too.
    The touch light does have a knack to it but I had it sussed in a couple of minutes. There’s another reviewer below this one that loves all the features so this could become a definite marmite piece!
    Yeah my personal opinion is he's being quite picky, but good to know every possible niggle I guess. I think if this were under $200 there'd be no reason at all to complain - but at the end of the day, it's a unique new Seiko, looks very cool and way more grown-up than any G-Shock so despite the bad points, I'm still tempted... The size is the only thing stopping me pulling the trigger.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Yeah my personal opinion is he's being quite picky, but good to know every possible niggle I guess. I think if this were under $200 there'd be no reason at all to complain - but at the end of the day, it's a unique new Seiko, looks very cool and way more grown-up than any G-Shock so despite the bad points, I'm still tempted... The size is the only thing stopping me pulling the trigger.
    If it helps any I have rather girly 6.5" wrists.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post
    If it helps any I have rather girly 6.5" wrists.
    Joe
    Thanks Joe.

I'm around that myself... Tempting, but might wait to see if someone wants to flip one as I've just bought 2 g-shocks, and of course do not actually need another watch.

Best review anywhere on the net - and I've been looking. Thank you very much for taking the time to post with great shoots too.
    I'm waiting for customs to get in touch so I can release my Pepsi.

Thanks for the review. It's a great looking watch, love the minute indication around the watch face, is that a unique feature? Friction bezel is somewhat disappointing, though, I'd probably never use it. Is the shroud aluminium, or plastic?

Craftsman
    The shroud isnt metal but a kind of hard rubber, very similar to the G-shock type.
    I’m guessing that’s why the bezel is a friction type one. It is pretty firm though and doesn’t spin freely as such.