timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 59

Thread: Diesel remapping, any experiences?

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    901

    Diesel remapping, any experiences?

    I'm thinking of remapping (chipping) my car, it's a cheaper alternative to trading it in for a more powerful model.
    But!
    It's still under the manufactures warranty!
    Would you risk it?
    Are there any systems that don't leave any traces if removed and set back to the standard settings?
    I was looking at TDi and BSR
    Any help/ feedback welcome

  2. #2
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    34
    Best thing i ever did to my car. Got a mk7 golf tdi and itís just so much more drive-able. Power feels so much more linear. I recommend if you do get it done, to do it with someone well recognised and trusted. Tried an tested as they say

    Mk7 Gtdís canít keep up.. and neck an neck with a GTI to about 110ish from a power perspective.

    Canít pass comment on the warranty side as no personal experience. Some say it leaves a footprint, some say not.

    Some say the chips are better while warranty as you can plug an play yourself.. but some motors respond badly to the chips an can make things go south quite quick!

    Best of luck whichever way you go.
    J



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    931
    What about going down the tuning box route rather than an actual remap then it can be easily removed if required?

    https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk

  4. #4
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    313
    I have no experience of their products but a couple of my best friends own TDI tuning, based in Chelmsford but they have other offices dotted about

    Ask for Graeme or Stephen (heís away for a week)

    *i have no affiliation to the company nor ever used their products

    Stephen


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    I had my crv given something called a Ďstage 1 tuneí . It makes the turbo come earlier, improves power band throughout the gears, and gives better mpg. Sheís an old beast now, but still runs well. ( finge crossed) Leaves no physical change either.

  6. #6
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    10,144
    I had my old E220 done a few years ago now and it worked very well. The power was upped from 150bhp to around 180 (although that wasnít a priority), fuel consumption improved from around 40mpg to around 50mpg on a long run and the car felt much smoother.
    Iím now looking to get my new car done.

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Psst...you ain't seen me right!?
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by pembers View Post
    I'm thinking of remapping (chipping) my car, it's a cheaper alternative to trading it in for a more powerful model.
    But!
    It's still under the manufactures warranty!
    Would you risk it?
    Are there any systems that don't leave any traces if removed and set back to the standard settings?
    I was looking at TDi and BSR
    Any help/ feedback welcome
    Never had a bad experience but then Iíve pretty much stayed with VAG products. Iíve used Celtic Tuning more often than not as they come to you. Remapped my 110bhp Audi tdi to 150bhp and itís been great ever since.

    Warranty wise, itís unlikely that they would know itís chipped since itís not old skool in that the ecu gets cracked and a physical chip is replaced. The original chip gets flashed & the new code piggy backs the original. More often than not with VAG products itís about removing inbuilt performance barriers so they can charge £thousands more for the Ďsportí version.

    That being said if the data from the ecu is read it may be understood & someone may do some more digging. This will invalidate the warranty - but my experience is that the dealers wonít discover or donít care.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Leicester England
    Posts
    361
    Have you enquiries to see if the dealer offers a remap package, some do and that obviously wonít affect the warranty.

    Itís worth doing and to be honest, very few franchise technicians could identify a remapped car. Somebody that knows what theyíre doing could easily identify the fact though.

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Leicester England
    Posts
    361
    Iíve experience with Powerflow Tuning and Topgear Tuning (same company) they will retain your original file so it can be rewritten back on should you wish.

  10. #10
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    Have you enquiries to see if the dealer offers a remap package, some do and that obviously wonít affect the warranty.

    Itís worth doing and to be honest, very few franchise technicians could identify a remapped car. Somebody that knows what theyíre doing could easily identify the fact though.
    Thanks for the input so far, very helpful.

    I've asked the dealer, my car is a Volvo V40 D2, and the only tuning company they endorse is Polestar. They are now owned by Volvo and don't offer a 'chip', presumably so you buy a D3 or D4.

    I've used BSR on Saabs in the past and they worked really well, but there gains look a little bold for the V40!
    http://www.bsr-tuning.co.uk/products/t3147/

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    What about going down the tuning box route rather than an actual remap then it can be easily removed if required?

    https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk
    That looks good, nice dollop of torque. They don't stress the 'won't be detected by the manufacturer' which I'd have thought would have been a big selling point.......unless I'm missing that?

  12. #12
    Master Skier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    1,520
    Almost all the cars I've owned over the last 20 years or so have been remapped, from a TVR Griffith 500, a Jaguar XJ12, Range Rover P38 4.6 (with a 5.3ltr engine from V8 Developments), Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi and my current Audi 3.0TDI. All have been huge improvements and the current Audi pulls like a train. Recently I've used Revo franchises and they've been excellent. I have used Angel Tuning who have also been excellent and offer/ed a home service. The TVR and Range Rover were both done by Mark Adams and both were, frankly, ridiculously powerful.

    I've never had a problem with dealers or insurance companies and have never had the need to revert to standard.

  13. #13
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    lancashire
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by pembers View Post
    That looks good, nice dollop of torque. They don't stress the 'won't be detected by the manufacturer' which I'd have thought would have been a big selling point.......unless I'm missing that?
    The can be detected if they look hard enough!

    An ecu is like a black box these days, they record all sorts of parameters.

    What ever you put on it's a risk! You play you pay.

    When you inform your insurance, it's there in black and white. If you don't tell them it leaves you uninsured also if you have gap they will only pay out of all mods are declared to your insurance.

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The East
    Posts
    806
    Blog Entries
    1
    Try greenlight for insurance.
    It worked out cheaper for me to insure my Saab 9-5 through greenlight with a 200bhp remap than it was as a standard 150bhp through normal insurers.

    They do not cover any non modified vehicles so when I sold the Saab I could not put my STD car on the policy instead.

    Great service though, would happily use them again.
    Last edited by jmitch; 14th June 2018 at 06:49.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by pembers View Post
    Thanks for the input so far, very helpful.

    I've asked the dealer, my car is a Volvo V40 D2, and the only tuning company they endorse is Polestar. They are now owned by Volvo and don't offer a 'chip', presumably so you buy a D3 or D4.

    I've used BSR on Saabs in the past and they worked really well, but there gains look a little bold for the V40!
    http://www.bsr-tuning.co.uk/products/t3147/
    Essentially the D2 is the Citroen 1.6 HDi engine. imho underpowered for the big and heavy Volvo. I think that it is not the engine that will fail after remapping, but the auto-box will fail. That's not built / designed for hard work. Google has a few interesting items on that. Mountains, pulling a trailer, high outside temps... all very dire situations for that box.

    I would opt for a D4 or even the big D5.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    What about going down the tuning box route rather than an actual remap then it can be easily removed if required?
    We went this route very recently with a TMC box for my wife's BMW 120D Sport. Easy to fit (and remove come service time) & after one post install adjustment the performance improvement is very pleasing. Too early to comment categorically on MPG and we never montotored it closely before anyway, but certainly not noticeably worse, if at all is our gut feel.

    We got the discount in the box through a mate, so £260 + VAT.
    Andy

  17. #17
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Essentially the D2 is the Citroen 1.6 HDi engine. imho underpowered for the big and heavy Volvo. I think that it is not the engine that will fail after remapping, but the auto-box will fail. That's not built / designed for hard work. Google has a few interesting items on that. Mountains, pulling a trailer, high outside temps... all very dire situations for that box.

    I would opt for a D4 or even the big D5.
    Mine is the later 2.0 not 1.6, rumour has it thatís its exactly the same set up as the D3 (150bhp) just with a different tune.

  18. #18
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, Oxfordshire
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    That being said if the data from the ecu is read it may be understood & someone may do some more digging. This will invalidate the warranty - but my experience is that the dealers wonít discover or donít care.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For any warranty claim for VAG products they will check, its part of their procedure , the diagnostic systems is designed to spot remaps, even if the remap is "flashed" back to standard it will still show, some tuning boxes will also show up , the system then codes the car either TD1 (Remap) or TB1 (Suspected tuning box). Google "TD1 remap" for plenty of horror stories

    IF your car is under warranty then a box is still a safer route but isn't as good as a proper map imo and if detected may still void the warranty

    However many of the maps around nowadays are pretty safe and can offer a considerable improvement to the performance and drivability of the car, using a reputable tuner ideally with a rolling road is best imo, you only need a laptop to set yourself up nowadays so using someone with a decent reputation is preferable.

    You must also inform your insurance company of any modifications of course as even those guys often check in the event of a claim , but the premium increase is rarely very much (Around £30 on my Jag).

    I used to work in the industry and have had most of my cars remapped but rarely owned diesels but had my 2.0 CR 170 Skoda Superb done some years back , was better on fuel (When cruising) and much livelier performance wise

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    <snip>

    You must also inform your insurance company of any modifications of course as even those guys often check in the event of a claim , but the premium increase is rarely very much (Around £30 on my Jag).

    /<snip>
    It has always been the insurance side that has put me off. Interesting that it was only around £30 for you. What I was concerned about was then being flagged so all premiums would take a lift as a perceived higher risk driver. You know insurance companies - any excuse; we have moved under half a mile and 3 streets away and they have upped our car premiums......

  20. #20
    Craftsman Gromdal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
    It has always been the insurance side that has put me off. Interesting that it was only around £30 for you. What I was concerned about was then being flagged so all premiums would take a lift as a perceived higher risk driver. You know insurance companies - any excuse; we have moved under half a mile and 3 streets away and they have upped our car premiums......
    A chip/tune between 10-25% power increase on my insurance (2013 BMW 320d) was an extra £10 a year with Admiral (33, no claims, 12k a year), so I'm looking at mapping it once my 6 month dealer warranty runs out in October. I did make sure that I have added it to this years insurance ahead of actually having it done to avoid the £25 admin fee mid-year.

  21. #21
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    lancashire
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    For any warranty claim for VAG products they will check, its part of their procedure , the diagnostic systems is designed to spot remaps, even if the remap is "flashed" back to standard it will still show, some tuning boxes will also show up , the system then codes the car either TD1 (Remap) or TB1 (Suspected tuning box). Google "TD1 remap" for plenty of horror stories

    IF your car is under warranty then a box is still a safer route but isn't as good as a proper map imo and if detected may still void the warranty

    However many of the maps around nowadays are pretty safe and can offer a considerable improvement to the performance and drivability of the car, using a reputable tuner ideally with a rolling road is best imo, you only need a laptop to set yourself up nowadays so using someone with a decent reputation is preferable.

    You must also inform your insurance company of any modifications of course as even those guys often check in the event of a claim , but the premium increase is rarely very much (Around £30 on my Jag).

    I used to work in the industry and have had most of my cars remapped but rarely owned diesels but had my 2.0 CR 170 Skoda Superb done some years back , was better on fuel (When cruising) and much livelier performance wise
    If the car is dsg, the gearbox will record the highest torque readings. This is the biggest give away to them.

    The boxes are not warranty safe. Little things they won't bother about but if the box, turbo or engine lets go they will look.

    It's a risk, if you take it off and then lie to them you could also be done for fraud.

  22. #22
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, S. Derbyshire
    Posts
    253
    A question to those who know: If these remap/tuning products are so good regarding power and fuel consumption etc. how come the manufacturers don't do it themselves? Surely it would sell more cars. They have all the resources to get the best from an engine and the car that do get 'chipped' are usually the ones that are sold on performance potential I would think. Maybe there an issue with drive train, brakes, clutches, tyres and suspension being put under stress with increased power which reduces reliability/safety?


    Personally, I prefer to buy a car has has enough power/torque straight from the factory. But, each to his own, I'm not knocking anybody for doing it if it floats their boat.

    Also, a salutary tale regarding insurance and these mods. Some years ago a police force friend of mine attended a fatal accident; 3 young lads killed when the 'chipped' Escort cabriolet flipped and caught fire with them inside. The insurers and police forensics people discovered the engine had been 'chipped' So, no pay out to any of the bereaved families to compound their dreadful loss as the insurance cover was deemed null and void due to non declaration.

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,515
    As Liner33 has pointed out VAG are able to detect remaps, tuning boxes which will automatically void any warranty.

    I will be very surprised if they are the only manufacturers able to do this.

  24. #24
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    11,570
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    A question to those who know: If these remap/tuning products are so good regarding power and fuel consumption etc. how come the manufacturers don't do it themselves? Surely it would sell more cars. They have all the resources to get the best from an engine and the car that do get 'chipped' are usually the ones that are sold on performance potential I would think. Maybe there an issue with drive train, brakes, clutches, tyres and suspension being put under stress with increased power which reduces reliability/safety?


    Personally, I prefer to buy a car has has enough power/torque straight from the factory. But, each to his own, I'm not knocking anybody for doing it if it floats their boat.

    Also, a salutary tale regarding insurance and these mods. Some years ago a police force friend of mine attended a fatal accident; 3 young lads killed when the 'chipped' Escort cabriolet flipped and caught fire with them inside. The insurers and police forensics people discovered the engine had been 'chipped' So, no pay out to any of the bereaved families to compound their dreadful loss as the insurance cover was deemed null and void due to non declaration.
    They do, for example, the same VAG PD diesel is sold in varying states of tune across the ranges , same basics, different map, different price tag. Or am I misinterpreting your question?
    Cheers..
    Jase

  25. #25
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, S. Derbyshire
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    They do, for example, the same VAG PD diesel is sold in varying states of tune across the ranges , same basics, different map, different price tag. Or am I misinterpreting your question?
    Didnít know that, thanks. But,
    Iím referring to these aftermarket products, not factory supplied.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  26. #26
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    As Liner33 has pointed out VAG are able to detect remaps, tuning boxes which will automatically void any warranty.

    I will be very surprised if they are the only manufacturers able to do this.
    If a defect arises that is not connected to the remap/tuning box than the warranty is still in effect (i.e. there is no blanket cancellation).

  27. #27
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    11,570
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Didnít know that, thanks. But,
    Iím referring to these aftermarket products, not factory supplied.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I think it would just upset their regular sales, if you could buy a 140bhp and spec it up trim wise to the 170bhp model then do a factory remap to 170 cheaper than the 170 price in the first price then you would. If the maths donít work then thereís no point in them offering it as a service.
    Cheers..
    Jase

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think it would just upset their regular sales, if you could buy a 140bhp and spec it up trim wise to the 170bhp model then do a factory remap to 170 cheaper than the 170 price in the first price then you would. If the maths donít work then thereís no point in them offering it as a service.
    This is exactly why Volvo now own Polestar.

    Buy a D2, pop a Polestar Ďchipí on it for £700 and save £1500 on buying a D3. Volvo donít like that!

    Polestar/ Volvo only offer upgrades on the D4 (highest power diesel V40) and the T5 (highest power petrol V40), nothing on the other specs.

  29. #29
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    lancashire
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    A question to those who know: If these remap/tuning products are so good regarding power and fuel consumption etc. how come the manufacturers don't do it themselves? Surely it would sell more cars. They have all the resources to get the best from an engine and the car that do get 'chipped' are usually the ones that are sold on performance potential I would think. Maybe there an issue with drive train, brakes, clutches, tyres and suspension being put under stress with increased power which reduces reliability/safety?


    Personally, I prefer to buy a car has has enough power/torque straight from the factory. But, each to his own, I'm not knocking anybody for doing it if it floats their boat.

    Also, a salutary tale regarding insurance and these mods. Some years ago a police force friend of mine attended a fatal accident; 3 young lads killed when the 'chipped' Escort cabriolet flipped and caught fire with them inside. The insurers and police forensics people discovered the engine had been 'chipped' So, no pay out to any of the bereaved families to compound their dreadful loss as the insurance cover was deemed null and void due to non declaration.

    They wouldn't meet the emissions standards from what I was told by a tuner.
    Vw didn't anyhow.

    As said above they use different maps for different markets.

    A mk5 edition 30 has the same set up as an s3 8p. The s3 was 260bhp mk5 was 230bhp.
    Both on a stage 1 tune will be about the 300bhp mark. They had to make the s3 higher bhp to justify the higher price tag. Also they keep the power lower for reliability as a tuned car is tuned nearer to its limits.

  30. #30
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    20,131
    Previously I tried a "plug in box" and after about a week, it put the car into limp home mode.

    Decided on a rolling road re-map (Merc 350) which added about 40bhp (at the wheels), plus more torque and better fuel consumption. Had the car for 4 years and have zero plans to replace it. Marvellous.

    cost about £450 if I remember correctly.

    FYI - Mercedes will happily sell you a Brabus chip which does pretty much the same thing for £2k.
    Last edited by Andyg; 14th June 2018 at 20:15.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  31. #31
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    'aggregate.
    Posts
    33,669
    Big difference between chipping and remapping.

    The remap is a software change as opposed to a plug in box or re-solder of an electronic component.

    Had our X5 done 2 years ago - no issues at all, passes emissions part of MOT no problem. Slightly better fuel consumption and much more torque and HP.

    We also have a VW Transporter (camper conversion) and the same engine is in 3 variants and can be remapped to the higher horsepower.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  32. #32
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    A question to those who know: If these remap/tuning products are so good regarding power and fuel consumption etc. how come the manufacturers don't do it themselves? Surely it would sell more cars. They have all the resources to get the best from an engine and the car that do get 'chipped' are usually the ones that are sold on performance potential I would think. Maybe there an issue with drive train, brakes, clutches, tyres and suspension being put under stress with increased power which reduces reliability/safety?


    Personally, I prefer to buy a car has has enough power/torque straight from the factory. But, each to his own, I'm not knocking anybody for doing it if it floats their boat.

    Also, a salutary tale regarding insurance and these mods. Some years ago a police force friend of mine attended a fatal accident; 3 young lads killed when the 'chipped' Escort cabriolet flipped and caught fire with them inside. The insurers and police forensics people discovered the engine had been 'chipped' So, no pay out to any of the bereaved families to compound their dreadful loss as the insurance cover was deemed null and void due to non declaration.
    Two main reasons - emissions and reliability

    Most diesel remaps do a few basic things : switch off EGR (or greatly reduce it), add more fuel and turn up boost

    This leads to more stress on components and also higher emissions - mainly NOx

    It does however normally increase fuel economy (EGR is bad for fuel economy) and power (EGR also bad for power)

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mid Glamorgan
    Posts
    3,142
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think it would just upset their regular sales, if you could buy a 140bhp and spec it up trim wise to the 170bhp model then do a factory remap to 170 cheaper than the 170 price in the first price then you would. If the maths donít work then thereís no point in them offering it as a service.
    This isnít the case with Skoda. You can for example buy a Superb Sportline in 150BHP spec and then get it remapped as opposed to buying the 190BHP version. The trim levels are the same.

  34. #34
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    901
    TDi are coming out good at the moment, nice boost of power and torque.

    https://tdi-tuning.com/car/volvo/v40...uning-box-chip

  35. #35
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, Oxfordshire
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    As Liner33 has pointed out VAG are able to detect remaps, tuning boxes which will automatically void any warranty.

    I will be very surprised if they are the only manufacturers able to do this.
    I know Jag does, this comes up on using a basic Jaguar Land Rover specific obd reader when I plug mine in


  36. #36
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, Oxfordshire
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    We also have a VW Transporter (camper conversion) and the same engine is in 3 variants and can be remapped to the higher horsepower.
    Pretty sure the VW Transporter one of the ones with the most impressive increases they are around 80hp stock but can be mapped to around 150hp , as said the engine is the same unit fitted to loads of other things with varying power levels , I guess VW set it at around 80hp to give longevity and reliability

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,074
    I have looked at getting my VW Transporter remapped. Two things worry me:

    1. Virtually none of the tuning companies make much reference to emissions changes. Given the concerns over what diesels pump out, this worries me.

    2. I am sure there is going to some kind of further kick back against diesels, with more roadside testing to confirm that your vehicle emits what the manufacturer intended. This could result in people getting fined, with retrospective costs, for having an engine that emits more noxious matter than it should.

    Pete

  38. #38
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, Oxfordshire
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    I have looked at getting my VW Transporter remapped. Two things worry me:

    1. Virtually none of the tuning companies make much reference to emissions changes. Given the concerns over what diesels pump out, this worries me.

    2. I am sure there is going to some kind of further kick back against diesels, with more roadside testing to confirm that your vehicle emits what the manufacturer intended. This could result in people getting fined, with retrospective costs, for having an engine that emits more noxious matter than it should.

    Pete
    Well no-one knows what legislation could be dreamt up in years to come but under current mot guidelines I very much doubt a remap will see anyone fall foul of current standards

  39. #39
    Master yumma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chelmsford, UK
    Posts
    1,388


    Iíd say go for it. You should see great gains on a TD motor, I had my N/A 2.5 Z4 done recently; really pleased with 10% more power, but best of all, better throttle response and drivability throughout the Rev range. Itís an improvement over the manufacturer map for sure. Well worth the money, zero negatives in my experience.

  40. #40
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Posts
    256
    Old VW diesels could be ďtunedĒ with a very simple trick, two resistors to change the voltage coming out of the fuel temp sensor.

    (Ok, change the sensors resistance if youíre pedantic!)

    Colder fuel is more dense so the ECU knows it can use less for the required power.

    The trick makes the sensor read the temperature as higher so ECU uses more == more power.

    Back to modern cars Iíve used a DT UK box in my Merc 220d with good results.

    It can supposedly be reprogrammed for different cars but costs a bit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    Iíve been considering getting my E350 remapped. My only concern is additional stresses on gearbox etc.

    Is this valid trepidation or not?

  42. #42
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    10,144
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    Iíve been considering getting my E350 remapped. My only concern is additional stresses on gearbox etc.

    Is this valid trepidation or not?
    I donít think so, I never had any problems with the gearbox of my E220. I think I had it remapped about five years ago.

  43. #43
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    'aggregate.
    Posts
    33,669
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    Iíve been considering getting my E350 remapped. My only concern is additional stresses on gearbox etc.

    Is this valid trepidation or not?
    If you know which model of gearbox you have, Google should assist in finding the torque/BHP rating.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  44. #44
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    689
    Just my tuppence worth as Iíve mapped just about everything I owned at some point, if itís in warranty look for an approved tuner, for example manufacturers do say itís ok to run a stage 1 map of its known not to ruin them. Revo do approves ones on vw I think, mountune for ford etc

    Declare them, make next to no difference on insurance

    Donít use a plug in box, they often have resistors in that overfuel the car and will knacker a dpf and carbon up the ports itís just not worth it

    Best advice is if you have a bloody nice car find a reputable company that use a reputable map and get an approved one if you can

    A good car is worth protecting and if you are flush, get it on a rolling road and a lot of maps do not do what they claim, seen a friends golf Gti lose power

    Iíve got a golf Gti running revo stage one with a k&n air filter, printout at 280bhp and quite a few torques which I canít remember .. best thing is it was a balance map and I get 40mpg at 70 o the motorway

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I donít think so, I never had any problems with the gearbox of my E220. I think I had it remapped about five years ago.
    I think the 220 and the 350 share the same gearbox. But Itís fair to say that the 3 litre v6 will chuck out a fair bit more torque than the 2.1 litre four pot even if remapped. I just worry that raising the torque above the standard for the 350 might exceed gearbox limits.

  46. #46
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    34
    Iíve got a golf Gti running revo stage one with a k&n air filter, printout at 280bhp and quite a few torques which I canít remember .. best thing is it was a balance map and I get 40mpg at 70 o the motorway [/QUOTE]

    40mpg is good going for 280 ponies under the bonnet

    MK6 or MK7 golf?

    J


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  47. #47
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    689

    Diesel remapping, any experiences?

    Itís a 6, went up from the standard 250, itís dsg which helps when cruising along

    Standard I used to get 36 and now I get 4 more

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #48
    Master tiny73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in Blighty
    Posts
    2,694
    Audi A5 3.0 TDi running a Revo stage 1 remap here. Itís night and day from the original and much more driveable. No dead spots in the rev range, 280 BHP but best of all 600 Nm of torque. Pulls like a train in any gear and feels effortless doing it. Best of all is I still easily get 40MPG, more if I drive like Miss Daisy.

    Insurance company are informed, first year was Saga insurance, £273 fully comp. Second year was a bit trickier to find since Saga suddenly wouldnít insure a modified car and Iím now with Police Mutual paying around £350 a year (FIL is ex-police so it opens up PM to me also).

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    This isnít the case with Skoda. You can for example buy a Superb Sportline in 150BHP spec and then get it remapped as opposed to buying the 190BHP version. The trim levels are the same.
    You need to be a little careful with this as though the "trim" level may be the same, the oily stuff may not be.

    I've not had my Sportline long enough to investigate fully, but when I had my Yeti, the 2.0 was available in 110, 140 and 170 bhp versions. Whilst the "trim" levels were the same and the cars were visually identical, the brakes, turbos, injectors and intercoolers were not. Whilst the 110 would remap to 170 (Revo), it doesn't magically grow bigger brakes, intercooler etc.

    Regards the remaps I've had, both Revo

    Octavia 1.9 110 Tdi to 130 bhp - utterly brilliant, smooth, progressive and happily ran on chip fat too. Switching back to the 110 map (as can be done with a Revo SPS box) was fine.

    Yeti 2.0 170 to 200 bhp - inconsistent and (I believe though cannot prove) was not doing the DMF any favours. Switching back to the 170 map had a big flat spot in the middle of the rev range.

    Insurance increase was only £30 per annum though (Admiral)

    Apparently I can increase the power of my Superb by about 40 bhp, but after the recent experience and the added complexity of the active cylinder technology etc, I've no plans to.

  50. #50
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    10,144
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    I think the 220 and the 350 share the same gearbox. But Itís fair to say that the 3 litre v6 will chuck out a fair bit more torque than the 2.1 litre four pot even if remapped. I just worry that raising the torque above the standard for the 350 might exceed gearbox limits.
    Fair point but Iím not 100% sure that the same gearbox is not used across all models so may also be in the AMG versions. It certainly needs checking although I canít imagine that a reputable remapping company would take the power/torque above the carís limits.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •