closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cheap digital watch advice

Cheap digital watch advice

Sooo, opposite end of the scale to a lot of the requests for help here but need to get my father in law a cheap digital watch for father's day. He is not into watches at all but has always had a cheapish digi that he can smack about while working on bikes and cars and not care about, and after years of loyal service his last one just met its match with his 2 year old granddaughter!

He wants large-ish digits for easy reading, stop watch, day and date, rubber strap, 50m water proof and nothing huge and chunky - something he can wear to work. Easy right....I thought os until the last request, no Casio - bad previous experience.

This would have been my go to brand and I still might get him from their range but having zero experience with digi outside of Casio as rightly or wrongly always thought of them as the standard I have no idea what other brands might be any good. Timex? Lorus? I have no idea.

Any advice much appreciated. £50 budget but happy to spend less if there is nothing in it and spend rest on something else.

Thanks,
    Ed
    Last edited by eduk; 11th June 2018 at 21:19.

If you can convince him to go Casio, this could be a winner.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2517883

£14 worth of Japanese digital brilliance arrived today

What more does he need?

Having been looking for the last 20 mins it is amazing what you can get for the money!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    £14 worth of Japanese digital brilliance arrived today

What more does he need?

Timex Iron Man £24.99 Other colour combinations available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Timex-Unise...tph_241_tr_t_2

Journeyman
    If you are looking for durable, amazon uk have a g shock DW5600 available for only £8 over budget at £57.99. You could go mental and get the multi band solar version which will last a lifetime for only eighty quid.
    If you are keen to stick to £50 or below, the ironman listed below should do the job. I had something similar I used for the gym and rugby refereeing which was going strong after three years when it was nicked when I was iverseas at a rugby tournament. If it has to be a non Casio, that would be a very decent shout.

I am very torn with getting him a G-Shock. I have had one for years and it has been bullet proof. I am not sure if it really qualifies for the large easy to read digits but it tickets every other box hands down. Do like the Timex one so that in the mix as is this Lorus though some review say the screen is too dark...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lorus-Gents-Digital-Watch-R2335EX9/dp/B005CP2T48/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

...yup reading reviews so am now fully down the rabbit hole...this is going to take some time!

Quote Originally Posted by Taranaki Time View Post
    If you are looking for durable, amazon uk have a g shock DW5600 available for only £8 over budget at £57.99. You could go mental and get the multi band solar version which will last a lifetime for only eighty quid.
    If you are keen to stick to £50 or below, the ironman listed below should do the job. I had something similar I used for the gym and rugby refereeing which was going strong after three years when it was nicked when I was iverseas at a rugby tournament. If it has to be a non Casio, that would be a very decent shout.

Mx - 5.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by eduk View Post
    I am very torn with getting him a G-Shock. I have had one for years and it has been bullet proof. I am not sure if it really qualifies for the large easy to read digits but it tickets every other box hands down. Do like the Timex one so that in the mix as is this Lorus though some review say the screen is too dark...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lorus-Gents-Digital-Watch-R2335EX9/dp/B005CP2T48/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

...yup reading reviews so am now fully down the rabbit hole...this is going to take some time!
    I probably wear my g shock more often than anything else in my small collection. As you say, bullet proof.
    If legabilty (sp?) is an issue though, I wouldn’t discount the Timex. I found it great for refereeing as it only took a glance to keep me right. My excellent timekeeping made up for a multitude of other mistakes.

There are only a few G-Shock's that have large digits, and even fewer that are not ridiculously over large and overstyled and look like they have been designed by a haribo addict on crack

If you're ruling out Casio then sounds like the Timex Ironman line is the best alternative, decent one here:

Timex Expedition Men's T49977 Watch with LCD Dial Digital Display and Black Resin Strap https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LBN16..._1rVhBbEKQ6KYN

If the digits need to be bigger than that, then the Timex Marathon line is probably you're best bet. All well under budget.

Craftsman
    I recently bought a Casio AE-1300WH-1AVEF but couldn't get on with the stopwatch on it as it's a referee timer really rather than a traditional stopwatch. Anyway, I wore it for a couple of weeks (excellent condition still) but it's yours if you want it for no cost, I have the box and manual etc still

I don't know if it's really what you are looking for although as for one it's a Casio :)

Here's a vid of the same model (not by me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waEJE7Vbf8I

Cheers, Rich

Quote Originally Posted by seikoric View Post
    I recently bought a Casio AE-1300WH-1AVEF but couldn't get on with the stopwatch on it as it's a referee timer really rather than a traditional stopwatch. Anyway, I wore it for a couple of weeks (excellent condition still) but it's yours if you want it for no cost, I have the box and manual etc still

I don't know if it's really what you are looking for although as for one it's a Casio :)

Here's a vid of the same model (not by me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waEJE7Vbf8I

Cheers, Rich
    What a great gesture. This is why I love this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, such a kind offer and example of everything that makes this please great. As the man has requested that it is not a Casio I will respect his wishes, plus I am sure the offer will be able to find a suitable home where it will be fully appreciated for its generosity.

For those who have spent the day on tender hooks I went for a Timex Ironman in the end. Lots of watch for money and one I would have been unlikely to stumble on without the pointers so thanks to all!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MRHCF...ding=UTF8&th=1

“Tender hooks?”

Indeed...or even tenterhooks...another thing learned!

Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    “Tender hooks?”
    - - - Updated - - -

Indeed...or even tenterhooks...another thing learned!

Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    “Tender hooks?”

Actually, the origin of the word lies with hooks that were originally used to hang meat on to tenderise it, so 'tender hooks' is more or less ok.

Sorry, my remark was intended to be tongue in cheek and didn’t want to come across a a pedant.
    For what it’s worth I understood that tenterhooks were the frames that cloths or fleeces were stretched over when drying to avoid shrinkage.
    Anyway I digress....pleased you found a nice watch.

Actually i think its a nautical term that is used to refer to the apparatus mariners use when hauling alongside a smaller dinghy

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by eduk View Post

For those who have spent the day on tender hooks I went for a Timex Ironman in the end. Lots of watch for money and one I would have been unlikely to stumble on without the pointers so thanks to all!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MRHCF...ding=UTF8&th=1
    Looks like just the ticket. I hope your FiL enjoys many years of trouble free use. He should. It is a very decent watch for not much money.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought one of these [then later the white dial version] after someone on here mentioned it.
    It’s a great looking watch,accurate,lightweight and comfortable in the heat.

image hosting no sign up

A colleague has one of these

https://www.britishwatchcompany.com/...er-strap-p7113

It always looks pretty good and is nice and clear - Sadly, though, they seem to have stopped making it, so you'll have to hunt one out if you want one.

M

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I bought one of these [then later the white dial version] after someone on here mentioned it.
    It’s a great looking watch,accurate,lightweight and comfortable in the heat.

image hosting no sign up

Sorry didn’t read your wants list properly.

Master
    I don't think that you can beat these for the price and function

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Colle...asio+w800h-1av

It has an alarm, a stopwatch, dual time clocks, and there is a software hack which I have done on mine to give you a countdown timer - I use them for travel now that the airport security have become light fingered. In fact I have just bought another one as I type just to try and fidget /remember the hack.

B
    Last edited by Brian; 13th June 2018 at 21:48.