closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GMT vs Submariner (no Date)

Journeyman

GMT vs Submariner (no Date)

Gents, I know this might have been discussed a million times before. I just have a dilemma these days
    I currently have a 2018 Ceramic Submariner (no date). Its a great watch but for some reason it feels very simple. I am really tempted to change to a GMT Batman or Pepsi with a Jubilee bracelet. What do you guys suggest, in terms of looks, value, resale. Is it a good idea to swap a no date Sub with a GMT?
    Appreciate the comments guys

Craftsman
    1. Sub is a great watch and very versatile.
    2. See if you can get on a waiting list for either/ both gmt’s
    3. You may well have a long wait, plenty of time to think about it.
    4. When one comes up, buy it but keep the sub, at least for a while so you can truly make your mind up, or just keep both.
    5. You are likely to be able to sell one of them if you choose, without taking any hit (possibly a profit), particularly if you have bought at rrp, rather than via grey.
    6. Don’t be in a rush. Enjoy the sub in the meantime.

Master
    Blog Entries
    ^^^ if you can afford to hold both at once - even if only for a short time - this makes sense.

Craftsman
    Keep the Sub, it is pure class. It can be worn with virtually any outfit, from swimming shorts to business suit and will never look out of place. I had the same dilemma 3 years ago and went with the Sub. The sub may not have a two tone bezel or 2nd timezone but it is more engineered watch. The water resistance for one, but also the clasp is better than the GMT II.

Also the lack of date means easy setup and no worries about 30 or 31st of month. And all of this comes at a cheaper price. At the current list price of £5450 it is a steal..

Unless you need a watch with a a GMT function keep your sub.
    Or buy a sub date.
    Or do what l did and get a sd 4000. Date. Less "maxi case" appearance and a date unobstructed by a "cyclops".

Chicken dinner.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm admittedly biased but I wouldn't trade a sub for the new Pepsi gmt.

BLNR imo would make more sense I guess for you as it shares similarities (Oyster, part black bezel, etc) and additional complications.

if I could only have one of the three it would be 114060 though

Craftsman
    Get yourself on some lists for the GMTs. You'll have plenty of time to decide whilst you wait for the call. If you can afford to keep both whilst you decide which, all the more better.

Master
    All depends on your preference and whether you want the date and/or GMT functions. I used to have a black GMT and chose it over Submariner non date, date and Hulk (even the Hulk was easily available back then!). I have some use of the GMT complication and like it. Currently I have a Batman and both Sub date and non date. BLNR is by far my favourite and gets worn the most. Even though I’ve had it much longer than the other two, I still haven’t got bored of it. I have seen and handled the new Pepsi. While I’m on the list for it and like it, I still prefer my BLNR. If I could only have one, it would be the Batman for me.

Craftsman
    Depends on the GMT you want to switch to. I also find my sub non date plain when I compare it to my black GMT. For me the black GMT looks nicer and if I was to let one go it would be the non date I think.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    Depends on the GMT you want to switch to. I also find my sub non date plain when I compare it to my black GMT. For me the black GMT looks nicer and if I was to let one go it would be the non date I think.

I’m completely the opposite! I think the simplicity of the Sub is its best feature. Each to their own...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by figureeight View Post
    I’m completely the opposite! I think the simplicity of the Sub is its best feature. Each to their own...
    This for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by figureeight View Post

+1 a Classic.

GMT every day for me tbh...

Sub has been done to death but for all of the right reasons. It is a thing of beauty - even better without the date imo.

I love the GMT and only opted into it because in my industry, the sub was far too common whereas the GMT wasn't.

Fast forward and the GMT has sold and a hulk sits in its place but still think the GMT is a great watch.
    Out of the two, i would go Sub.

Journeyman
    Thanks Guys, seems the Sub wins. I guess the Pepsi hype playing with my mind.
    I almost triggered a swap with a vintage pepsi on a jub bracelet, don't know why a jubilee on a pepsi does something for me

Craftsman
    The watches, over all are so similar, to me, that I almost class them as the same. I like the splashes of colour from the GMT, though the hulk and blue TT’s even that out somewhat.

Journeyman

Journeyman

Blog Entries
    Although not ceramic, I have U Series T<25 dialled 14060 and Pepsi 16710. Both are absolutely classic pieces but for me the Pepsi just pips it.

Regards values, and neither of mine were purchased as investments, the Pepsi has out performed the sub by some margin. I would see no difference with the new kids.

Lovely and a really nice dilemma to have, lucky chap.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by owais01 View Post
    Thanks Guys, seems the Sub wins. I guess the Pepsi hype playing with my mind.
    I almost triggered a swap with a vintage pepsi on a jub bracelet, don't know why a jubilee on a pepsi does something for me
    For me the new pepsi BLRO is an easy one over a sub.

Journeyman
    If you can get a Pepsi, go for it!

Journeyman
    If you're tempted by a GMT try a Sub Date or SD 4000 or be daring and go pre-ceramic, keep them both for a while while you decide which you prefer and if nobody notices don't sell either.....

Craftsman
    Sub.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'll keep the Sub, it's a more versatile watch in my opinion

A tough choice... but I think, given a choice, I would keep my GMT’s (BLNR & Rootbeer) over my 14060... possibly??

Tough call