closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone use Booker??

Master

Anyone use Booker??

Looking on their site and I can't see the requirements are for opening an account/getting a card.

I know its a wholesale/trade operation, but has anyone set up an account with them recently? Interested to know what it costs and what documents you need.

Cheers

https://www.booker.co.uk/help/help.a...gettingstarted

'How Do I Get A Booker Account?

Booker is a trade only wholesaler and is not open to the general public. If you are a customer in one of our branches you can set up your online account where you are able to view your recent purchases, and access and download your invoice summary detail, albeit you will be unable to place any orders until this has been agreed with your local branch.

If you do not yet have a Booker account and would like one you can click here to select your local Booker branch and register to be a Booker customer. Once you have your customer number you will need to take two proofs of business to your local branch so that they can discuss your individual requirements with you and set up your account.

You will not be able to order online until you have registered for an online account and agreed collection or delivery arrangements with the Branch Manager.'
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Looking on their site and I can't see the requirements are for opening an account/getting a card.

I know its a wholesale/trade operation, but has anyone set up an account with them recently? Interested to know what it costs and what documents you need.

Cheers
    I went with my friend before Xmas to stock up on stuff. We're self employed but I don't have letterheads, business cards, or even a bank account in a company name and they signed me up just fine - they really didn't seem to care and were in fact encouraging me when I was joking saying I was struggling to prove I was a bona fide business (and made it clear I was not in any business relevant to buying what they sold).

They really didn't seem to be bothered, but I guess it varies branch to branch.

Edit: It doesn't cost anything BTW.
    Last edited by 200mwaterresistant; 13th June 2018 at 16:25.

It doesn’t cost anything to register and get s card. You should be a business so will need to provide a letterhead. You can just print something up on your computer as a lot of their customers are sole traders/small businesses so they don’t expect corporate.

I wouldn’t get excited though because prices aren’t mega cheap (convenience retailers run on pretty small margins!). All items are priced excluding VAT and you generally have to buy in “outers” of however many the package size is. I don’t recall if there’s anything on the labels to tell you whether the item is subject to VAT or not as most of their customers know anyway.

POR (profit on return - a long winded name for margin) shows you what your margins are if you then sell the item at rrp.

I’m talking here as an ex convenience store owner who shopped at Bookers for about ten years, the catering side is slightly different.

Overall, you can make some savings shopping there but, at times, supermarkets can be cheaper.

At one time they bought Iceland (the shop) and stocked their frozen curries which were very good!

Master
    Thanks all. To be honest, its my brother that wants a card but as I have a ltd co he thought I could get a card and let him use it which I'm happy to do. He's after frozen meat that he can buy in bulk for his dogs I think.

I joined Costco back in 2004, when they really were a trade only wholesaler.

Today, Costco is admitting anyone with a 'profession' - the queues and the prices have gone up, and the service has plummeted.

Costco Haydock is full of folk who look as if they should be shopping at Poundland - there is clearly no professional requirement.
    I suspect that Costco are taking the membership fees from anyone who applies.

I have largely given up on Costco - if I do go, it's during the trade-only hour from 0900-1000, and then fill up with fuel.

I have also had a Makro card for many years - Booker acquired Makro some time ago, so it was simple to transfer over the registration.
    An association with a sports club or school will be sufficient to register.

There is a Booker (Makro) close to Costco Haydock, their stock range and prices are where Costco used to be 5-10 years ago.

If you want a hot-tub, garden furniture and a cheap sat-nav go to Costco, if you want trade price food and booze go to Booker.
    Last edited by W124; 13th June 2018 at 16:48.

Master
    My mother in law has never had her own business, but she has a Booker card. I don't imagine they are particularly strict if she can get one!

Master
    Sorry to hijack but can anyone who has used both advise on the quality of meat at bookers vs Costco?

I find Costco good vfm for the quality vs supermarket and local butchers meat so how does bookers compare?

Factoid: Costco make their money from membership fees not from sales!