closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mobile WiFi instead of broadband

Mobile WiFi instead of broadband

I need to get mobile broadband for a while and was wondering if anyone has any experience of using a sim only data allowance to get a WiFi hotspot running reliably enough for catch up TV and Netflix, also any pointers on the speed needed for the mifi device?

Thanks

Craftsman
    I teacher through my iPhone via 3 mobile when I’m out and about, i get 30gig of tethering per month

Recently caned it on a weeks holiday, and it let me stream 2 iPads simultaneously, only got 2gig left to last 8 days now though......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Thanks Both, I swear I searched but for some reason my results don’t show in date order

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by de30m View Post
    I need to get mobile broadband for a while and was wondering if anyone has any experience of using a sim only data allowance to get a WiFi hotspot running reliably enough for catch up TV and Netflix, also any pointers on the speed needed for the mifi device?

Thanks
    Is it just for personal usage on a computer or something more?

One of our customers provide a full solution for this, which can mix together a combination of 3/4g sims and adsl too. It's used for all kinds of setups like boats, remote broadcasts, offices with slow speeds etc.

Craftsman
    Pretty sure you only need around 2Mbps to stream films. It all depends on how much and how long you need to use it for - could be an expensive way to watch the telly though! I have a '3' mifi unit and I use a PAYG data sim. I only use it when we go abroad for general surfing on the iPads. We have a few foreign trips booked this year to places with no WiFi in the accomodation - Spain, France, Italy plus a Med Cruise to Croatia from Malta (will use it when in port/near land) and I’ve just bough a new PAYG data sim. 24Gb and it will last for 2 years. £45. My previous 12Gb/12 month sim expired a few weeks ago. Still had 5Gb left on it.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Is it just for personal usage on a computer or something more?

One of our customers provide a full solution for this, which can mix together a combination of 3/4g sims and adsl too. It's used for all kinds of setups like boats, remote broadcasts, offices with slow speeds etc.
    Nothing too exotic, going to be streaming Netflix to a smart TV and catch up apps, and as a WiFi for a few connections while I have no phone line in the house

A 3 or 4G SIM card will work just fine for that. We use a combination of Three and Virgin Mobile (EE).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by de30m View Post
    Nothing too exotic, going to be streaming Netflix to a smart TV and catch up apps, and as a WiFi for a few connections while I have no phone line in the house
    I’ve got a Three mifi that’s on PAYG. You’re welcome to borrow it whilst you’re waiting for your phone line - you’d just need to buy a preloaded SIM from Amazon or eBay.

I lent it to someone else on here last year who was looking to buy, but wanted to try one first.

Let me know if of interest.