closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is the ceramic Daytona worth the reseller value?

Craftsman

Is the ceramic Daytona worth the reseller value?

As it says in the title, who thinks that the new daytona is worth the £15k (plus) it's being sold for by resellers?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    As it says in the title, who thinks that the new daytona is worth the £15k (plus) it's being sold for by resellers?
    The many buyers who will pay that (for a white dial version), that's who.

They can then wear the watch for a year or more and lose perhaps only a thousand pounds or two.

You might more reasonably have enquired "Who thinks almost any Breitling, Cartier, JLC, IWC, Omega is worth its list price?" These buyers will lose far more of their money, the focus of your question.

Welcome.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 8th June 2018 at 10:41.

Master
    Personally I don’t think it is worth the premium...but as HM points out above there are many people who do. Over the years I’ve had pre ceramic Daytonas a few times and have always felt underwhelmed by them. I’m also not a follower of trends so would never buy into the hype. Plus at £15k I’d rather something else like an AP.

Master
    Not for me as the watch is too small and no date so i wouldn't pay half the RRP as it's not for me.

However for those who like the watch they will pay over RRP if they like it.

Master
    If you want to tell the time easily I think they’re not very legible (isn’t that a big part of a Watch?)

I think its safe to say this site probably wouldn't be nearly as well populated if the world was only full of watches that were really worth the asking price.

As Haywood says in terms of Value for Money and actual cost per hour spent on the wrist there are a lot worse ways to spend your money.

Too much of a mugging magnet these days in London though.

Depends on how you look at it. If you include demand and resale value then maybe. But if you look at the sum of the parts and the cost to make then certainly not. In fact, if you base the value on the cost of parts and manufacture I would argue that some of the brands Haywood mentions offer better value even at RRP, but you will take a kicking at resale.
    Of course, this is the luxury goods market and the costs to make are irrelevant when compared to the name on the dial.

I wouldn’t pay over RRP. Nice watches but quite overrated.

Mine doesn’t get a lot of wear.

At the end of the day it is a £9k watch with a £15k price tag. Is it worth £15k, maybe to those who pay that price, but it is a crystal ball job as to where the price will go in the next year or two. Certainly supplies don't seem to be getting any easier, when was the last time someone on here announced that they had received the call.

Not me.
    But there are people in this world who don't ask my opinion before spending their money.

Journeyman
    Not worth it to me. But then again, prices will probably continue to increase for the next x years, so when does it make sense to jump on?

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    If you want to tell the time easily I think they’re not very legible (isn’t that a big part of a Watch?)
    It's not a watch it's jewellery that has a time telling function secondary.

If people are willing to spend the money then it's worth that

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    This question gets asked several times a day over at the Rolex forum.

Guess it comes down to an individuals finance if its worth paying over retail. E.g. 5K to one man is chump change, and to another a long hard save to finally purchase any watch.

You always see the comment that this time next year it will get closer down to RRP as demand is gradually satisfied etc but the truth is its just as hard now to get at retail as it was when it was released over 2 years ago. In fact it might be worse depending if you believe the speel that Rolex has reduced production on Sport models (even if thats not true, demand has gone up anyhow)

One thing for sure is that the grey price is creeping up all the time
    Last edited by kultschar; 8th June 2018 at 19:37.

I would have hard time paying over retail, that being said I guess the ceramic Daytona is clearly underpriced if market values it that much higher.

Craftsman
    I have both black & white 500s.

One bought @ retail and the other came with a bit of a premium.

I don’t understand the fuss behind the Daytona. I mean it’s a great watch but certainly not worth the premium.

But at the same time I would not have a problem paying a premium again on a Daytona simply due to its value retention.

I’m sure there are plenty of people out there who just want a Rolex Daytona and don’t care how much it costs them. It could cost £20k and I’m sure the same people would buy them.
    Whilst there is no way I could spend £15k on a watch there are plenty of super wealthy folk out there who earn that much in a week.

It seems like an expensive way to impress people to me, but I am not in the market for one.

Same old roundabout, You could have said is a full set unpolished 16710 GMT worth £4k 2 years ago, course it was but the sellers didnt know it would double in price in such a short time zone.

The Daytona is worth it because people will pay it.

Journeyman
    Yes it is but I much prefer the black dial.....

Master

Simple answer

Simple answer is no!!
    For £15k you can go to the next level of watches above Rolex!
    You can get a truly hand made piece that you won’t see on anyone else’s wrist?!?
    At £9k yes I’d buy one for sure as they look great but above that it’s punching above its weight, only the “must have” crew will pay that premium?!?

I would also have to look at a Red Sub when you are talking £15k?!?! (I know totally different piece but I would)

Chris

Journeyman
    Is the ceramic Daytona worth the reseller value?

Two distinct perspectives here on value;

1. As a watch - no its grossly over-priced either as at original AD purchase or via a reseller.

2. As a Commodity - well it seems to be doing just fine right now all on its own (well scarcity/desirability promoted by Rolex).

however, I see that market could change at any time; Rolex starve supply too much, people get turned away and look elsewhere (loss of desirability with escalating price) and by normal economic factors i.e. interest rates/employment factors

Craftsman
    Fascinates me that Rolex don’t raise the retail price to the grey market price .

They get extra margin , retailer makes extra margin , customers pay the going price , win win for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Fascinates me that Rolex don’t raise the retail price to the grey market price .

They get extra margin , retailer makes extra margin , customers pay the going price , win win for everyone.
    Why would they? If they raised the prices to the grey market price, then by definition people wouldn't be rushing to grab them from ADs. God forbid maybe getting a Daytona would be straightforward if you simply paid up. How is that good for the brand?

Would you as a brand rather have a guaranteed endless money spinner at 8k or a product that might fizzle at 15k? Would you rather people buy your product and think it's very expensive or would you rather your customers feel like you've given them the "privilege" of buying something that's hard to obtain and paying less than the 'true value's?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post

I don’t think they could. I would imagine that, if they increased rrp to £15k, the waiting lists would empty overnight. Even those that have been happy to pay way over rrp would no longer be interested as it would no longer be the must have watch.

Master
    This sort of question is pure madness.

A Rolex Daytona is the same as any other commodity, it is worth precisely what the next buyer is prepared to pay. That's it, end of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    This sort of question is pure madness.

A Rolex Daytona is the same as any other commodity, it is worth precisely what the next buyer is prepared to pay. That's it, end of discussion.
    I'll go and tell the politicians and economists to stop fretting that houses are incomprehensibly unaffordable to the average earner - clearly the market is prepared to pay and thinking about it any further is a waste of our time =P

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post
    I'll go and tell the politicians and economists to stop fretting that houses are incomprehensibly unaffordable to the average earner - clearly the market is prepared to pay and thinking about it any further is a waste of our time =P
    Well we could do with a few less politicians and a few more builders. The housing shortage, and Daytona shortage would be solved if the respective decision makers allowed more to be produced. So in essence less fretting and thinking, and more doing would be a welcome move.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Well we could do with a few less politicians and a few more builders. The housing shortage, and Daytona shortage would be solved if the respective decision makers allowed more to be produced. So in essence less fretting and thinking, and more doing would be a welcome move.
    I couldn't agree more - my point however is that one would not arrive at such a course of action if we simply accepted the market price of houses full stop.

With houses, as with Rolexe Daytonas, one might think not just that the price is determined by supply and demand (which I do not dispute) but also about why the supply and demand balance is thus.

I think you have to accept that the ‘Daytona’ is an iconic watch with history and celebrity associations. They have for long been sought after models and this is unlikely to change.

However, it’s the ‘vintage’ models that are the true collectibles, commanding ever escalating prices. These were made in finite numbers and there will never be any more.

By contrast, the latest ceramic models are still in current production so there’s no knowing how many might be churned out. But, with these, you are paying a premium to have the pleasure of owning one now, rather than trying to get on the list and waiting several years.