closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stupid question - face to face deals

Stupid question - face to face deals

This is probably obvious so apologies in advance for the stupid question. I've only ever bought a watch online or from a main/grey dealer.

When you guys do face to face deals how do these work when it comes to payment? There seem to be a few pitfalls I can think of and I'm assuming people just transfer the money via online banking at the time if they're happy with the watch? Stupid question I know..

Yes. That’s my preferred method.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    This is probably obvious so apologies in advance for the stupid question. I've only ever bought a watch online or from a main/grey dealer.

When you guys do face to face deals how do these work when it comes to payment? There seem to be a few pitfalls I can think of and I'm assuming people just transfer the money via online banking at the time if they're happy with the watch? Stupid question I know..
    That's how I've always done it...bank transfer once you have satisfied yourself about the watch ; works well, and on TZ you tend to meet nice people, fellow enthusiasts. Just choose somewhere safe to meet, and look at the H and V section.

Always have a handy cosh tucked down the trouser leg, just in case. I wouldn't trust anyone on here

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Always have a handy cosh tucked down the trouser leg, just in case. I wouldn't trust anyone on here
    haha good tip thanks!

Thanks for the rest of the comments everyone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post

If a cash deal, meet in a bank, pay money in, when cleared hand over watch.
    If bank transfer, once transfer has been made, phone your bank to confirm payment has gone through then hand over watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    If a cash deal, meet in a bank, pay money in, when cleared hand over watch.
    If bank transfer, once transfer has been made, phone your bank to confirm payment has gone through then hand over watch.
    Always done it using BT which is usually pretty much instant and you can see the funds
    in you’re account using you’re phone.
    Did have a situation about 6 weeks ago where buyer made the payment on his phone, let me put the details in and I could see it had gone from his account but after 10 minutes still hadn’t arrived in mine. I rang my bank who said they would need an instant payment reference number to see if they had received but not transferred it to my account, he rang his bank and turned out they were doing some security checks but the transfer should be made within 2 hours provided no issues with the checks.
    Neither of us wanted to wait for 2 hours as we had travelled to meet up but as I knew quite a bit about the guy including where he worked and lived and actually had taken a photo of him with the watch and he also let me take a photo of the transfer on his phone was happy to head home and the money arrived about 30 minutes later.
    If I had know a bit less info I would have waited till the money was actually there.

Master
    Often I will either transfer one pound in advance to make a payment ‘link’ between accounts. I have found that this reduces instances of bank security checks to zero in my case when it comes to transferring the full amount when meeting - I also suggest this to buyers too. Other than that, check H&V and meet somewhere decent rather than exchanging expensive watches in a place you would rather not attract attention

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'd think that you were just pleased to see me

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Often I will either transfer one pound in advance to make a payment ‘link’ between accounts. I have found that this reduces instances of bank security checks to zero in my case when it comes to transferring the full amount when meeting - I also suggest this to buyers too. Other than that, check H&V and meet somewhere decent rather than exchanging expensive watches in a place you would rather not attract attention
    Sorry newbie query - what is H&V? 🧐

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
    Sorry newbie query - what is H&V? 🧐

Heating & Ventilation. It's slang for the physical signs that someone's up to no good / trying to con you. Do they have a red, sweaty face and uncontrollable flatulence?

Dead giveaway, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    Heating & Ventilation. It's slang for the physical signs that someone's up to no good / trying to con you. Do they have a red, sweaty face and uncontrollable flatulence?

Dead giveaway, in my experience.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I always get the buyer to send a fiver the night before so that my banking details are "remembered" and the bulk of the transfer can be done at the time via mobile app. Saves the card reader laptop faff in the coffee shop/pub. I do the same as a buyer.
    Or if I know them then take the watch and settle up once home and at computer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
    Sorry newbie query - what is H&V? 類

Heroes and Villains is the section of the forum where members can leave feedback on their dealings with other members. You will find it on the TZ-Forums page.

I have only done it a couple of times and both occasions.
    It was a joy to do, especially as I got the opportunity to talk watches.

Master
    I've done a direct transfer over the counter in the bank itself, online transfer (always twitchy!) while sat in a bar, or (more commonly) an envelope full of cash over the table.

I prefer just dealing in cash to be honest, I have never had any concerns walking about with money in my pocket and feel more comfortable giving or receiving physical dosh.

It's always cash for me although I've not sold any watches yet. I did sell a few guitars over 5 grand and all with cash in a brown envelope.

Master
    Cash is nice; but I once noticed a brown envelope on the floor of the cafe, and realised it was mine, with £4700 in it. Dropped from my raincoat pocket.
    Now I prefer bank transfers. Safer in every way.

Master
    Last one I did was a long train ride to London with almost 4K in cash which made me slightly nervous. The seller picked me up from the station and we went round to his house for a cuppa and a look at his collection – was totally fine in the end but without plenty of communication beforehand I’d have been less comfortable. My main worry was being in a city that's quite stabby of late with an amount of money too big to fit in my pocket.

As a seller I'd like any cash to be run through a bank teller before completion. I've done it with a car sale. So many dodgy notes around so BT for me.

Journeyman
    I've had bank tellers miss count bundles of notes more than once, my local branch installed one of those automatic counting machines, it is utterly rubbish.
    Everytime I try to use it, it just spits all the cash back out and you then have to re-count it to make sure it hasn't stolen a few notes in the confusion.

Every time I go in the bank to pay cash in theres a woman wandering up and down the queue offering help, coercing people to use the stupid auto paying in machine which never flaming works.
    I always tell her "opening up another cashiers window would be helpful rather than walking about with your hands in your pockets."

One time she actually did open up another cashiers window.
    Luckily for me she didn't serve me but I could feel her looking at me, probably seething and shooting daggers rather than thinking. "Ohh my , what a lovely chap he is ."