closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Newb: Can anyone value this old Seiko...?

Newb: Can anyone value this old Seiko...?

Hi, I'd be interested to know what this old one might be worth. Sorry about the dreadful snap...
    The face says Seiko Automatic, DX, 25 (?) Jewels. The model number on the back seems to be 6106-9000. There's not much on google but it seems to be from 1978 roughly. Started up as soon as I handled it. Condition is a bit rough...
    Hope this pic will show up...
    https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?c...vQiyIfGFwbkvMk

Sorry, can't get the image to appear in the post...

Original bracelet which is in its favour, not worth a huge amount, £40-60 maybe?
    Perhaps ‘68 rather than 78 judging by its style.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Original bracelet which is in its favour, not worth a huge amount, £40-60 maybe?
    Thanks Jason :-) Might be as old as '68. I bought it from a kid at school, probably around the late '70's...

Master

Not loads

It’s not worth loads of money but it is great to see watches like this kept!!
    I suppose the problem lies with the fact a service can be more than the watch is worth which is where sentiment comes in?
    It’s a shame that they become uneconomical to repair or even service due to their low value?
    I for one have lost on quite a few vintage watches when I’ve sold them just after a service or repair but I do love the feeling that you have recirculated another piece? As cliche as that sounds it’s a great feeling knowing that for what is really maybe a family takeaway money another vintage watch is kept going! Maybe I’m getting sentimental in my old age or my mid life crisis is some kind of save the old watch charity start up😳

Chris

Someone on FB has just told me the serial number is from January 1968. Good guess there Jason :-)

Quote Originally Posted by subchris View Post
    It’s not worth loads of money but it is great to see watches like this kept!!
    I suppose the problem lies with the fact a service can be more than the watch is worth which is where sentiment comes in?
    It’s a shame that they become uneconomical to repair or even service due to their low value?
    I for one have lost on quite a few vintage watches when I’ve sold them just after a service or repair but I do love the feeling that you have recirculated another piece? As cliche as that sounds it’s a great feeling knowing that for what is really maybe a family takeaway money another vintage watch is kept going! Maybe I’m getting sentimental in my old age or my mid life crisis is some kind of save the old watch charity start up😳

Chris
    Thanks Chris. Maybe a proper collector will make me an offer :-)

Quote Originally Posted by s.lowhand View Post
    That came out wrong... I meant that *I'm* not a proper collector... :-)

There you go, right click image - copy image address - paste into insert image icon

Master
    I would agree with 68 but I think that the bracelet may be from a 6119 from memory

PM me some better pictures of the bracelet to head fitting and I can clarify if you wish.
    regards

B
    Last edited by Brian; 11th June 2018 at 22:27.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    There you go, right click image - copy image address - paste into insert image icon

Thanks for that but I can't see an "Insert image" icon anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I would agree with 68 but I think that the bracelet may be from a 6119 from memory

PM me some better pictures of the bracelet to head fitting and I can clarify if you wish.
    regards

B
    Brian, I'll try to get some better shots sometime today. Bit of a heavy schedule though...

Someone on FB has just told me the serial number is from January 1968. Good guess there Jason :-)
    It was a considered guess though, you said Google suggested a 1978 date so the second digit of the serial number is a 8, this gives you the year in a decade, it doesn’t look like a 78 by the styling ( you can usually go by the movement caliber code too, 6106 in this case, which is a 60s movement) if your FB guy said Jan 68 then the first 2 numbers of the serial are 18, 1 for the January, 2 for February and so on.
    Cheers..
    Jase

If selling it is what you're wanting to do, put it on SC or eBay, job done.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

if your FB guy said Jan 68 then the first 2 numbers of the serial are 18, 1 for the January, 2 for February and so on.
    It would be 81, not 18, the first numeral is the year.

I've come to expect better from you Jason, stand in the corner facing the wall!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    It would be 81, not 18, the first numeral is the year.

I've come to expect better from you Jason, stand in the corner facing the wall!
    Oh my days!
    How embarrassing, I knew that of course, I’m mitigation, I woke up silly early this morning.
    I shall put a Z22 on one of my divers and turn the bezel off 12 for the day to self punish.
    Cheers..
    Jase