closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Porsche goes all electric

Porsche goes all electric

I am sure this will be very impressive, but I wonder what the price will be?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/...id=mailsignout

Not sure about the name either, maybe it will grow on me.

However, the car looks good, and Porsche engineering is beyond compare, so I look forward to the first review.

I am sure it is only a matter of a few years now before I buy my first all electric car...
    So clever my foot fell off.

I quite like it, but like most modern Porsches I think you need to see them in the flesh to gauge the actual proportions of them.

It does sound very interesting though!

Master
    Taycan?! Apparently it's a word meaning lively young horse. Sounds like it's from a random word generator using the letters in the rest of the line up

All the good names were already taycan....

Lively young horse - isn't that a Mustang? I thought April 1st had been and gone..

Cheers,

Plug

I bet its going to be great.
    Isn't it funny how the new generation of cars still follow the same basic layout as they always have done, is it a design classic that was done correctly from the get go? Form followed function in how they looked, now that conventional engines can be eliminated, is there now scope to radically change how a car can look? Maybe not.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    4 doors too, looks great. Presumably it's quite big seating 4.

Bet that's a massive seller.

Master
    I love the concept and I'm really hoping the production version looks good - I'd love to replace my i8 with one of these in 2 years.

Looks good, they've done a good job of hiding those rear doors doors as much as possible too. Will be interesting to see how close or far away from the concept the final production car is.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I bet its going to be great.
    Isn't it funny how the new generation of cars still follow the same basic layout as they always have done, is it a design classic that was done correctly from the get go? Form followed function in how they looked, now that conventional engines can be eliminated, is there now scope to radically change how a car can look? Maybe not.

I think a lot of it is now about designs and shapes we are familiar with. I expect there could, and will be some much more radical designs in the years to come, but this will in part be driven by what the market will stand, and it takes time for tastes to change.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I laughed out loud reading this, thanks!-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I quite like it, but like most modern Porsches I think you need to see them in the flesh to gauge the actual proportions of them.

It does sound very interesting though!
    Unfortunately, like all electric cars, it won't sound interesting at all and this for me is why I will find it difficult to have any passion for these electric super cars.

Looks great however the £100k+ price tag means it's way to rich for me.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Looks great however the £100k+ price tag means it's way to rich for me.
    Apparently going to start in the 60-70k bracket...

http://www.alphr.com/cars/1009573/po...elease-date-uk

It looks very interesting. Out of my price bracket though. It will be interesting to see how similar (in appearance) the production model is to the one shown.

I would also be keen to know where the '911' name originated from. Well, 901 actually, as i know that Peugeot kicked off about Porsches intention of using the three digits with a zero in the middle, so the just altered the 0 to a 1.

Does anyone know the reason behind '901'?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Much as I'd like to believe that, we're talking a Porsche super car here..........for 60-70 grand ? I'll eat my hat etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Well let's hope you are right, however it I imagine it will still be closer to £100K once options are added.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Milk floats have certainly come on since I was a lad....

Quote Originally Posted by weedram View Post
    Unfortunately, like all electric cars, it won't sound interesting at all and this for me is why I will find it difficult to have any passion for these electric super cars.
    I do know what you mean.
    Standing near the start line at Goodwood FoS when the electric sports cars set off is somehow soulless, but the acceleration from a standing start is where I suspect the main thrill will now come from.

If the 918 hybrid shares any of its genes with this model, this could be a cracking piece of kit.

Craftsman
    I'm sure it'll be a great bit of kit and will sell well.

Interestingly, as a confirmed petrolhead, I'm now converted on the whole electric car thing. Having had loads of quick Caterhams, a genuine Cobra, Eagle E type, and Aeromax amongst others, I bought a 18 month old BMW I8 last year. That is by far the most impressive car I've ever had and does everything so well. It's genuinely quick, handles well and is engaging to drive. The fact that I'm averaging over 50mpg is also a big bonus.

I'd never go back to an old school ICE V8, so I'm convinced electric performance cars will take hold very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Superb, I hear their next model is going to be the BayCan - everyone loves BayCan right? (except vegetarians)

Maybe it's the angle, bit it looks to me like it needs a big rear spoiler.

Regarding the name, I'm probably not the first person to think 'Trashcan'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    It looks very interesting. Out of my price bracket though. It will be interesting to see how similar (in appearance) the production model is to the one shown.

I would also be keen to know where the '911' name originated from. Well, 901 actually, as i know that Peugeot kicked off about Porsches intention of using the three digits with a zero in the middle, so the just altered the 0 to a 1.

Does anyone know the reason behind '901'?
    Something to do with the design numbers for previous models (assume 356) being in the 800’s.

With a new model I guess they wanted a new prefix, hence 901. Pug then kicked up a fuss for using “zeros” in the middle of two other numbers and so was born the 911.

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Something to do with the design numbers for previous models being in the 800’s.
    I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

News has emerged that Porsche have acquired a stake in Rimac (Grand Tour, Richard Hammond, fiery accident etc).

Rimac are already some way down the road which Porsche have chosen to follow.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    Went to my local Porsche owners club meet yesterday. There's definitely interest in it amongst some current owners but no one likes the name (no one particularly hates it either mind you)

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Went to my local Porsche owners club meet yesterday. There's definitely interest in it amongst some current owners but no one likes the name (no one particularly hates it either mind you)

You weren’t at Berkswell by any chance where you?

Master
    You weren’t at Berkswell by any chance where you?
    Certainly was. At the Bear

Apparently, it's pronounced "Tie-Kahn."

Craftsman
    Certainly was. At the Bear
    First one I went to, was a good turn-out I thought.

Which one was yours?

Master
    First one I went to, was a good turn-out I thought.

Which one was yours?
    Funnily enough it was my first one too. I've been a member since Christmas but have been a bit busy. I really enjoyed it. Mine was a filthy blue 986 with ambers. I was next to a 987 Cayman that was for sale.

If you look on the facebook group photos for the night. I'm in the middle of the first picture behind Duncan's GT4 standing with my missus talking to three other guys. You can just see my car on the fourth picture that has a white 981 Cayman next to a browny-orange 944 next to a black 987 Cayman next to my little snotter.

Which was yours?

I'm going to the next one as well without my missus this time as she's busy

Craftsman
    Funnily enough it was my first one too. I've been a member since Christmas but have been a bit busy. I really enjoyed it. Mine was a filthy blue 986 with ambers. I was next to a 987 Cayman that was for sale.

If you look on the facebook group photos for the night. I'm in the middle of the first picture behind Duncan's GT4 standing with my missus talking to three other guys. You can just see my car on the fourth picture that has a white 981 Cayman next to a browny-orange 944 next to a black 987 Cayman next to my little snotter.

Which was yours?

I'm going to the next one as well without my missus this time as she's busy
    Ah yes I can just see it in the background.

Mine is the white Cayman that is in (what is now) the first picture with the three people stood in front of it. Can’t see myself in any photos thankfully!

Was a good turn out for sure - I will take my S2 next time though as weren’t many of them apart from the very early brown-orange one.

Master
    Ah yes I can just see it in the background.

Mine is the white Cayman that is in (what is now) the first picture with the three people stood in front of it. Can’t see myself in any photos thankfully!

Was a good turn out for sure - I will take my S2 next time though as weren’t many of them apart from the very early brown-orange one.
    OK coney. I'll be without my missus this month so look out for me. I'll wear a grand seiko to make it easier to spot