closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended UK Energy Providers

Recommended UK Energy Providers

Setting up a home in the UK in approx 2 months, looking for best VFM gas and electricity suppliers. Average usage, family of four.

I don't want to be tied in for more than a year.

House is in NN4, near J15 of M1. I don't know who the existing energy suppliers are.

Many thanks, Matthew

Matthew mate, for all these sort of utilities queries then moneysavingexpert is always my first port of call
    Last edited by seikopath; 11th June 2018 at 14:39.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I have been very happy with OVO.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Matthew mate, for all these sort of utilities queries then moneysavingexpert is always my first port of call
    Yer a rebel. TZ-UK always first and foremost.

Bulb.co.uk – they use 100% renewable electricity sources, gas is standard, and no cancellation charge so leave anytime.

The web interface is very clear and easy to use and you can input readings as often as you like to keep it up to date. I've been with them for over a year and been very happy compared with the shower of usual suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Bulb.co.uk – they use 100% renewable electricity sources, gas is standard, and no cancellation charge so leave anytime.

The web interface is very clear and easy to use and you can input readings as often as you like to keep it up to date. I've been with them for over a year and been very happy compared with the shower of usual suspects.
    Thank you, exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Thank you, exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.
    Saving the planet one TZ member at a time

I use a similar small company that uses 100% renewable electricity as well. "Pure Planet". No contract either. Got this provider through moneysavingexpert and I usually change my supplier annually to get the best deals!

Another vote for bulb here, well worth a look I'd say.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    This MSE has a separate energy provider site and it is very good. Choose not appalling or unknown customer service over absolute cheapness. I was with EDF, now Eon, they've both been fine.

Master
    A business associate of mine has just gone live with a new energy supplier, he’s a really ethical guy and keen to offer a better level of service. You won’t find them on MSE as he won’t pay the referral fees.

Yorkshire energy https://ye.co.uk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Setting up a home in the UK in approx 2 months, looking for best VFM gas and electricity suppliers. Average usage, family of four.

I don't want to be tied in for more than a year.

House is in NN4, near J15 of M1. I don't know who the existing energy suppliers are.

Many thanks, Matthew

Another vote for Bulb!

PM me if you decide you want to go with them (but before you do!) If I refer you, we both get £50!!

Bulb has a very good app. You can even self adjust the direct debit via the the website.

Craftsman
    Bulb for me too, although today they have emailed me saying their prices are rising in August.

Blog Entries
    Just moved from Sainsbury’s / British gas to bulb we shall see

Master
    Octopus for me, well worth a look.

I just switched to Outfox The Market yesterday.
    I'm told there simply isn't a cheaper deal for 100% renewable energy in the country, especially if you're a low user.
    They pass on the wholesale cost of electricity and gas - making it a variable tariff - but charge you between £6.99 & £13.99 a month to be a "member."
    Worth a look, especially if you have a reasonable idea how much energy you use.

I can't comment on customer service because, as I say, I'm not technically a customer yet until they switch me over!

SO Energy - Best company I have been with, I've heard good things about OVO too.

Thanks for the info - I think its time I looked to switch !

Cheers

matt

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    Bulb for me too, although today they have emailed me saying their prices are rising in August.
    Same thing for me, although most of the others have already increased their prices.

I have been with them a couple of years and found them competitive and their site straight forward.

Also they have not tie ins, rolling monthly contract

If you do go with bulb, ask an existing member as you will both receive £50

I've been using firstutility fixed price deals for a few years now. Tempted to look at a provider that prioritises renewable energy when my deal ends though.

Master
    I use Outfoxthemarket.com
    They charge a membership fee, but the price per unit is very low.
    Have a look at their comparison quotes and see what they come up with.

Well i have taken a punt with ye.co.uk

lets see how well this goes :)

cheers

matt

Master
    Well that was interesting. I've only just switched to Bulb so I did a re-quote with them & Outfoxthemarket, using the same usage figures (2200 electricity, 5000 gas):

Bulb: £51/month
    OFTM: £36.68/month (includes monthly fee)

That's a big difference. The website doesn't sem to say if that's a stable price for a year or if they adjust it each month based on the market cost of energy.

Energy

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Octopus for me, well worth a look.
    Octopus gets the 👍 from me to

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I have been very happy with OVO.
    And for me. Pay a very small premium for renewable, all good, app is decent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Well that was interesting. I've only just switched to Bulb so I did a re-quote with them & Outfoxthemarket, using the same usage figures (2200 electricity, 5000 gas):

Bulb: £51/month
    OFTM: £36.68/month (includes monthly fee)

That's a big difference. The website doesn't sem to say if that's a stable price for a year or if they adjust it each month based on the market cost of energy.
    It was a £600 saving for me, which is why I made the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    And for me. Pay a very small premium for renewable, all good, app is decent.
    Me too. Signed on again this year.

Master
    I am with OVO and am just about to switch to Bulb they seem to be well regarded

Master
    Having used some iffy providers in the past, I'm very happy with So Energy.

They're well priced, customer service (and their online portal) are good, I've renewed with them twice now, they use renewable energy (if that's important to you), and they also offer £20 if you a referred to them.

Happy to refer anyone (I rarely recommend places). Drop me a private message if you want me to.

Master
    Octopus is very good + the only one recommended by Which this year.

Octopus is very good agreed, avoid Extraenergy. BT is a masterclass in customer service and billing management compared to those clowns.

Craftsman
    Flow energy

Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    A business associate of mine has just gone live with a new energy supplier, he’s a really ethical guy and keen to offer a better level of service. You won’t find them on MSE as he won’t pay the referral fees.

Yorkshire energy https://ye.co.uk
    Well the transfer went nice and smooth from scottish power... just waiting on them for final bill and hopefully refund.

i chose the fixed caterpillar deal for the year which seems very competitive...

chers

matt

Master
    I just switched over to Bulb and it was seamless they have just one tariff and were very slick to deal with, if anyone wants to switch to them let me know as if you use my referral link they will put a £50 credit into your account which is a pretty good deal :)

An interesting piece on one of the BBC consumer shows about all this. It seems as if the small newcomers to the market are gathering many more customers than some of them can cope with and are unable to provide a decent customer service. Lots of complaints about them. Not all, of course, but money isn't everything. Saving £100 over a year is pointless if you can't get through to them when they've billed you wrongly. Ofgen is investigating them.

Blog Entries
    Moved to Octopus just over a year ago, excellent customer service and I am 100% happy with them!

Craftsman
    +1 for Octopus. No issues with them. I only wish they used smart meters - I'd forgotten the joys of sending meter readings...

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    +1 for Octopus. No issues with them. I only wish they used smart meters - I'd forgotten the joys of sending meter readings...
    Not exactly difficult or time consuming.

There’s been a lot of press about smart meters overcharging.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    An interesting piece on one of the BBC consumer shows about all this. It seems as if the small newcomers to the market are gathering many more customers than some of them can cope with and are unable to provide a decent customer service. Lots of complaints about them. Not all, of course, but money isn't everything. Saving £100 over a year is pointless if you can't get through to them when they've billed you wrongly. Ofgen is investigating them.
    I switched to ovo when they first seemed to appear. They were excellent and competitive. Then they put a smart meter in which never worked properly (they admitted to having a lot of problems) and just caused me hassle, then they become uncompetitive. Last 3 or 4 years I’ve just looked at money saving expert and always got a great deal. He claims to be able to negotiate big group discounts and I’m yet to find any better deals so think it’s true. Never had any hassle either. Good thing also is he lists their customer satisfaction levels etc.

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone. Very helpful in narrowing down the options.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    Just had another email off Bulb that they are increasing prices again in November, they only just increased them August.
    Moneysavingexpert says I can save £236 a year by switching to Outfox the Market.
    Any recent opinions on Outfox? I'm going to switch, that saving is too much to resist.

Master
    Just had another email off Bulb that they are increasing prices again in November, they only just increased them August.
    Not had that email yet. Better get myself on the price comparison sites!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Not had that email yet. Better get myself on the price comparison sites!

I haven't had the email either but I will wait and see as they are pretty good on price and since joining Bulb I have had £200 from them for recommendations in a short time :)

Interesting information, thanks. We're awaiting our first bills from the existing provider to turn up before making a decision on which way to go. Octopus and Outfox look to be on the shortlist.

I’m with Outfox. The only thing worth mentioning is that if you’re not the sort of person who’s organised they can over charge you. You need to give monthly metre readings. I’ve found that if I forget I get charged a lot. If I remember it’s very cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm with 'So Energy', after the debacle of N Power I really cannot fault them even a year down the line. Very straight forward, easy to use company and great tariffs.

Craftsman
    Well I've just began the switchover to Outfox the Market. Hopefully things go smoothly.
    For a £200+ yearly saving I just had to do it, I'd had no problems with Bulb apart from they've banged up their pricing recently, when I checked end of last year when I last did a comparison, bulb were the cheapest.
    Fingers crossed.

Craftsman
    Well I've just began the switchover to Outfox the Market. Hopefully things go smoothly.
    For a £200+ yearly saving I just had to do it, I'd had no problems with Bulb apart from they've banged up their pricing recently, when I checked end of last year when I last did a comparison, bulb were the cheapest.
    Fingers crossed.
    Started the switch to Bulb on Friday as N Power were looking to up my DD to £595 (yes - per month) and Bulb were the cheapest at £427 ... until yesterday when they tell me prices are going up in Nov and my DD will need to increase by £57

Avro + BG are now cheaper but only by £20-£30 per year so may let the switch go ahead.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCansell View Post
    Started the switch to Bulb on Friday as N Power were looking to up my DD to £595 (yes - per month) and Bulb were the cheapest at £427 ... until yesterday when they tell me prices are going up in Nov and my DD will need to increase by £57

Avro + BG are now cheaper but only by £20-£30 per year so may let the switch go ahead.
    Wow Jeff, that's some monthly energy bills.
    I can't even say try Outfox as I've no idea how they'll perform going forward.
    Only time will tell.
    But did they show up on your comparison as they way cheaper on the MSE energy club check I did.