closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended UK Energy Providers

Master
    I've had Outfox the Market for about 3 months now. Switch went smoothly, they email you for a meter reading just before it is due every month and so far billing seems to be fine. Haven't had to call them thought so can't comment on them. If you are a low user, likely to be very competitive as no standing charge per se

Master
    A few months ago bulb were taking market share from everyone. Just hope this wasn't a ploy to get everyone on board and then ramp it up like they have now!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've just switched this week to Pure Planet and expect to save around £400 a year. They claim to use 100% renewable energy as well.

All seems to be app based and was really simple to do (admittedly I did have my usages to hand). On top of that I'll be getting a £25 Amazon voucher as I was referred by a friend. I'm happy.

Let me know if anyone wants to use them and I can share the code as well and we both get a £25 Amazon voucher.

I just got the same email from Bulb regarding price rises, not sure whether to stick or switch. Guess it's time to start doing some homework.

Im in the process of switching to Bulb and have just received the increase email. Unfortunately, as I'm outside of the 14 day cooling off period, I have to complete the switch before immediately switching again. Bit of a pain really but there's no get out payment so may as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    I just got the same email from Bulb regarding price rises, not sure whether to stick or switch. Guess it's time to start doing some homework.
    Got mine today. Not sure how they’ve calculated the increase on my account but it’s an eye-watering amount!!

Master
    I just recently switched to​Bulb and it's so annoying having to trawl about for a better deal as I have no idea who to go with!

Blog Entries
    Just gone from Bulb to an EON fixed for a year deal via uswitch the whole gig does your head in.
    Cars, house health it is a full time occupation glad i am retired.
    Last edited by mart broad; 12th September 2018 at 21:20.

Master
    I am going to wait a bit re leaving Bulb as they are pretty competitive and if theirs is going up then knowing my luck I will switch and the new suppliers will go up!

i just switched to bulb (electricity only economy 7) but the rate was competitive as fuel costs have increased across the board, still way better than what was offered by my current provider Isupply energy who have been fine up to now with an easy to use website, but what they offered me was a big increase not the small one with bulb which was going from £480 on my current deal to about £560 P/A. no exit fee’s so i can always switch if they don't remain competitive.

i also got £50 credit for switching as well as £50 for the referring customer.
    (if anyone wants a referral link then DM me and i’ll stick half in the fundraiser once its credited, but would like to point out all the bulb customers in this thread will be able to do this so if you have traded with or know them personally do ask them for a link first, if more than one person asks for a link i would rather pass that on to another member.)

Master
    "Pure Planet" came up quite a bit cheaper for me than Bulb on MoneySupermarket but it says " it is likely that Pure Planet may need to increase its prices in the future. Its last price rise was March 2018", so I think it's comparing the increased price for Bulb with the (probably) pre-increase price from Pure Planet!

Craftsman
    Well Outfox the Market look to be walking the plank.

It used to be a membership cost of about £96ish per year, now it's 28p per day per fuel, costing about £205 per year. Add that to kWh price increases and my increase is around 24% from 1st Jan 19.
    I only joined in September, I'll be moving away ASAP as they are no longer the cheapest, or anywhere near the best CS.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    Well Outfox the Market look to be walking the plank.

It used to be a membership cost of about £96ish per year, now it's 28p per day per fuel, costing about £205 per year. Add that to kWh price increases and my increase is around 24% from 1st Jan 19.
    I only joined in September, I'll be moving away ASAP as they are no longer the cheapest, or anywhere near the best CS.
    A very similar story for me too....joined in Sep 18......switched away today. I have a sneaking suspicion that Outfox will be 'finished' before Spring.

Master
    Yep, I switched away from Outfox yesterday too. The last straw was the projected cost increase of 40% from Jan sent yesterday. That was on top of the 7% cost increase this month. As well as the disasterous attempt to "amend" the direct debits meaning you were charged a lot more than were likely to use!

I thought it was a good idea and I don't mind prices increasing with the cost of energy but surely the membership fee or whatever should cover the overheads etc which shouldn't change that much??!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    "Pure Planet" came up quite a bit cheaper for me than Bulb on MoneySupermarket but it says " it is likely that Pure Planet may need to increase its prices in the future. Its last price rise was March 2018", so I think it's comparing the increased price for Bulb with the (probably) pre-increase price from Pure Planet!
    Pure Planet announced a price increase on the day my transfer from Bulb went through! Still cheaper than Bulb (post-increase) mind you.

Craftsman
    I did like Bulb overall, very nice app. It was just the excessive jump in pricing.
    Moving to OTM was straightforward but no app, and very poor website. All over the place with emails/pricing/forecasts/usage figures. And another excessive company price jump.
    I'm off.

Recommended UK Energy Providers

Bit late to the party, but Octopus for me - price was good, they’re a green-ish start up I think. Anyway, service is super personal. I’d pay a bit more for that any day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Bit late to the party, but Octopus for me - price was good, they’re a green-ish start up I think. Anyway, service is super personal. I’d pay a bit more for that any day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly so! Octopus are the most ‘user friendly’ energy supplier I have ever been with.

Craftsman
    Hi everyone, looking to revive this thread. Just moved house and need to get a new provider set up.

Who is everyone recommending this month?

Master
    Moneysavingexpert is always my first port of call.

Been with bulb for a few years

Very happy with them and they are about to install smart 2 meter

Have a referral for £50

https://www.bulb.me/nick8450?utm_cam...ce=copy-button

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Hi everyone, looking to revive this thread. Just moved house and need to get a new provider set up.

Who is everyone recommending this month?
    Apart from the very new firms, which I’d rather wait and see, and those with really poor customer service scores, I go with whatever is the cheapest. Have you any idea what your usage will be? Is it a similar size/design/age to your previous home? Some of the comparison sites often usage guesstimates based on number of bedrooms.

Maybe sign up with a firm with no exit fees so you have a get out.

I’m with Pure Planet but they aren’t the cheapest for me any more so I’m looking to change.

Craftsman
    Having worked in the energy sector for a while, my advice would be to avoid the big six, soon to be big 5, probably 4, then 3 etc.

The large suppliers can’t supply energy at the capped price because their costs are to high, largely due to the smart meter programme, but also due to the way they have developed from the old public sector suppliers. The only one that stands a chance is British Gas, because they are so big.

For reference, we went with Bulb. It has made a big saving over the original provider which turned out to be EDF.

I don't know if is the cheapest option but it was an easy switch and they have been great to deal with.

Master
    Money saving expert. Even lists their customer service ratings which is quite important.

Master
    Octopus or Bulb I'd say: I'm with Bulb & they have been very good. I'll refrain from posting my referral link.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Avro Energy have been the cheapest for me over the last two and a half years.

Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    Avro Energy have been the cheapest for me over the last two and a half years.
    I'm with avro too

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Octopus or Bulb I'd say: I'm with Bulb & they have been very good. I'll refrain from posting my referral link.
    I've been with Bulb for a few years, still competitive as I'm on the MSE Energy Club thing that monitors this. Although referral links are generally frowned upon, I donate all my Bulb commissions to a charity called Dreamflight that takes children with a serious illness or disability, without their parents, on the holiday of a lifetime to Orlando, Florida.

https://dreamflight.org/

As I'm a high rate tax payer, I top up the £50 to £60 for the relief I'd get at the end of the year and then Dreamflight also get 25% relief so for each referral, the charity receives £75. So far I have raised over £5,200 for them via Bulb referalls.

If anyone fancies supporting this charity, naturally after comparing rates, then feel free to use my link -
    https://bulb.co.uk/refer/colinm6008

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Nick67, sorry a friend of mine beat you to the referral code.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I've been with Bulb for a few years, still competitive as I'm on the MSE Energy Club thing that monitors this. Although referral links are generally frowned upon, I donate all my Bulb commissions to a charity called Dreamflight that takes children with a serious illness or disability, without their parents, on the holiday of a lifetime to Orlando, Florida.

As I'm a high rate tax payer, I top up the £50 to £60 for the relief I'd get at the end of the year and then Dreamflight also get 25% relief so for each referral, the charity receives £75. So far I have raised over £5,200 for them via Bulb referalls.

If anyone fancies supporting this charity, naturally after comparing rates, then feel free to use my link -
    That's fantastic, well done.
    M

Currently with Scottish Energy and the contract ends August 31 2019. Scottish energy was cheapest at last year's renewal date but no longer offers the 'best deal' for renewal … so, will submit meter readings online on August 30 to obtain my 12 month dual gas / electricity usage data … and then use an online comparator to find the best deal … and then complete the switch online and on same day. I've already done this once but did not complete the transfer last month … because I read there might be better deals available this month. I'll try several online comparator services before deciding which energy provider to sign up w.e.f. September

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Having worked in the energy sector for a while, my advice would be to avoid the big six, soon to be big 5, probably 4, then 3 etc.

The large suppliers can’t supply energy at the capped price because their costs are to high, largely due to the smart meter programme, but also due to the way they have developed from the old public sector suppliers. The only one that stands a chance is British Gas, because they are so big.
    Aside from the general advice, I'm with Toto, one of the newer, smaller suppliers. Money Saving Expert are great for comparison and offering impartial advice on whether they're risky or not.

Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post

We have just gone with British Gas via Moneysaving Expert - decent saving (over £100 per month for dual fuel).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Just changed to Octopus.Saving about £15 a month.

Anyone got a referral code for Octopus?

Master
    I have a referral code for Bulb energy they are very good

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I have a referral code for Bulb energy they are very good
    There are lots of those around, but thank you for the offer. Octopus have quoted lower and seem to have extremely good customer service, rather like Bulb hence the desire for an Octopus one.

Great Bulb referral in this very thread, with a very good aim:

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Anyone got a referral code for Octopus?
    Me I think.Will check it.Yep
    https://share.octopus.energy/light-okapi-196
    Last edited by lew07; 28th August 2019 at 14:57.

Compared various options via various comparators and even phoned one potential supplier direct - but was still cheaper to arrange via online comparators. Thus just switched to EON via Energylinx. Every comparator accessed suggested EON as either the first or second preferred supplier for my particular dual fuel 12 month usage figures.

dunk

EDIT: On 4 Sept Scottish Energy phoned me offering a better deal … after EON had had commenced the changeover one week ago … Scottish Energy are too late … They should have offered the cheaper deal last week when all the indications suggested there was none.
    Last edited by sundial; 5th September 2019 at 07:10.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"