closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPhone 8 Plus or X

iPhone 8 Plus or X

Sorry did a quick search but found nothing, looking for advice from people who have maybe tried/used both these phones.

I’ve played around with both phones and although the X looks sleek I personally thought the screen was too narrow and looked just stretched whereas the 8 plus seems to have a more proportioned screen.

Thinking of maybe changing my current 6 to either an 8 plus or an X but right now am not sure so looking for your views and thoughts.

Much prefer the X based on screen size and phone size. Face detection works well and is an improvement over fingerprint too. The only reason the X isn’t more popular and takes a bit of flak is the cost I reckon.

I went from the 7+ to an X and I love it, Face ID is really good and doesn’t take long to get used to the swipe up gestures etc. Battery is about the same as the 7+, the screen is crisper and I find it easier the get about without the boarders. It’s a lot faster when browsing etc also.
    Last edited by Loki; 10th June 2018 at 15:21.

I also went from a 7Plus to an X. I held my Dad’s 6SPlus today and was surprised how big it felt with not much extra screen real estate. Having gone back to a smaller phone in the X I wouldn’t get a bigger one again.

Master
    Can’t comment on the X but I tried the 8 and just felt it was too small. Got the 8 plus and it’s fantastic.

@Loki @Phil Lee how do the screens in terms of estate space compare between the X and plus? I thought the X screen was way too narrow?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I thought the same but when I put it up against my old 7+ (which my Son now has) its exactly the same width as the 7+ just looks narrower. Fits in the pocket much easier too.

I have the X, if you use your phone for photos, the camera is fantastic, the screen is also bigger as long as you can live with the "notch" where the camera and speaker is when watching videos.

The only reason I would choose the 8 plus is that for me anyway, the face recognition to unlock the phone is a bit hit and miss - I end up needing to enter the pin, whereas on the 8 plus I never had problem with the fingerprint scanner. I also miss the home button.

Either way I think you would be happy with either choice.

Quote Originally Posted by timestuff View Post
    The only reason I would choose the 8 plus is that for me anyway, the face recognition to unlock the phone is a bit hit and miss - I end up needing to enter the pin, whereas on the 8 plus I never had problem with the fingerprint scanner. I also miss the home button.

Either way I think you would be happy with either choice.
    That for me too. To be honest, I hate not having the button and actually enjoy using the mrs' 7 now and again because of it. Face recognition is also hit and miss for me too and can be annoying

The X is a great phone though.

I went from a 6S to an X, swapped the 6s for my wife's 5s to use whilst cycling.

I wanted a bigger screen but not a larger phone format.

Looked at the 8/8+ as well as the \samsung offering.

I don't miss the home button, took a could of days to get used to the swipe.

The X is a great phone, don't have an issue with the noth, but the price is the real killer, fortunately I didn't pay rrp

Best phone I had and will keep for a while, the repair cost was scary so now lives in one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/pitaka-Magc...+x&tag=av0c-21

Master
    With just over 3 months to go until apples next iPhone hardware round now is probably the worst time to go for either. If you can hang on for a few months then there’ll probably be some good deals and a glut of used phones on the market.
    If you have to get one now I’d probably get whatever is cheap and then wait for the new releases and reassess then.

I went for the 8+ because of 2 things, price and face recognition, I use Apple Pay all the time and just couldn’t work out how it would work as slickly as finger print as I just pull the phone out and pay where I feel it would be more awkward with the face recognition

I’m a minority here it would seem but I actually prefer my old 6+ to my X. The X is a lot sleeker and the size a lot more manageable but just don’t think the cost of it warrants the benefits/updates..
    Last edited by Snoodles; 11th June 2018 at 07:12.

I went for the X after the 7. The 8+ was appealing, but the X fits in my pocket easier, and I don't notice the slight lack of width from the 8. So it works perfectly for me at the minute.

Not much difference in price between the 8+ and the X either!
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Can't comment on the 8 plus but not had any issues whatsoever with the X, came from Blackberry so swiping was a breeze

Red face

The 7 plus screen is definitely slightly wider than the X. I find the X too narrow - so sticking with my 7 plus (as I like the size) until the XI comes out and then will decide what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I thought the same but when I put it up against my old 7+ (which my Son now has) its exactly the same width as the 7+ just looks narrower. Fits in the pocket much easier too.

Journeyman
    I’ve just moved from an 8+ to an X and have to say it really is a superb phone (granted it should be for the money). Then screen is head and shoulders better than the 8 and the size is just right. I don’t notice the “stretch” of the screen but then I don’t watch video etc.

No home button - you get used to this after a day and never look back but to me the Face ID is a revelation. No more trying to remember or type in passwords for compatible apps and it seems to work better than fingerprint id.

If you’re upgrading certainly consider the X but only you can value the premium over the 8.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I want to change my iphoen 6 to X, but I need some smart advice on how to move the data on my iPhone 6 to X,If it works, I won't use face recognition on iPhone X , That would be a lot of mistakes

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaskerah View Post
    I want to change my iphoen 6 to X, but I need some smart advice on how to move the data on my iPhone 6 to X,If it works, I won't use face recognition on iPhone X , That would be a lot of mistakes
    I moved from a 6 to an X. Just backup your 6 in iTunes (make sure it's an encrypted backup so that passwords etc. get backed up), plug your X in and you will be prompted to restore a previous backup. Just select the last backup from your 6 and everything will be restored to your X. I think FaceID is optional but it really works well and you get used to it in no time.

Craftsman
    Whenever I’ve changed iPhones, I just entered my Apple ID and set it up and everything on my old phone pops up on the new one. Pretty sure I haven’t plugged one into a computer since a 3S. I then just set the old one back to factory reset. I got up to a 6 but found it too slippery to hold and kept dropping it - had two screens and a recon unit in less than 10 months and it wasn’t even insured! I buy mine from the Apple store and the phone, the recon and the two screens cost me well over a bloody grand! Waited until the 7 came out, saw that it was the same and went for a SE - the perfect size for me. Insured that one and never needed it. Passed the 6 onto my wife. Bought her an 8 a while ago and I think I just had to point the 8 at a code on the 6 and it set itself up.
    Last edited by Motman; 15th June 2018 at 17:14.

Quote Originally Posted by StaokH View Post
    I moved from a 6 to an X with this guide. Just backup your 6 in iTunes (make sure it's an encrypted backup so that passwords etc. get backed up), plug your X in and you will be prompted to restore a previous backup. Just select the last backup from your 6 and everything will be restored to your X. I think FaceID is optional but it really works well and you get used to it in no time.
    A good idea , thanks
    Last edited by jaskerah; 21st June 2018 at 11:39.