closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A must have for all openworked owners

A must have for all openworked owners

This book ‘High-end horological finishing and decoration (authors: Caroline Sermier & Giulio Papi)’ was pointed out to me by Chris (P2725TMB over on TRF) well I’m very pleased he did as it’s a great read and a huge insight into the amount of work that goes into hand finishing these movements from what you would imagine to be a basic screw which in itself requires a lot of finishing all the way up to the decorative engraving.

Techniques are timeless but in regards to models this book is a little dated as there is not reference to the likes of the 15305 or 15407 but the underlying hand crafted methods are the same, clearly the photos etc will be AP related but the processes themselves are universal so a good read for everyone.

I’ve sent hours reading the book with my 15407st and loupe in hand.

Really gives an understanding into the level of work and time spent on perfecting the movement, and only compounded my love for this piece in my collection.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    That looks very interesting. Does it have a section on enamel dials by any chance ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Master
    Very nice, thanks for bringing that up. Will have to track a copy. It's polarising amongst WIS, but I really like openwork/skeletonised!

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    That looks very interesting. Does it have a section on enamel dials by any chance ?

Sadly not!

These are the areas/techniques covered

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Sadly not!

These are the areas/techniques covered
    Thanks for that.
    Sadly enamellers are very secretive.

A must have for all openworked owners

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Very nice, thanks for bringing that up. Will have to track a copy. It's polarising amongst WIS, but I really like openwork/skeletonised!
    Here have them in stock
    http://www.watchprint.com

Or you can try your friendly AP AD

Another good AP read is this

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Thanks for that.
    Sadly enamellers are very secretive.

Appears that way!

It’s been a great read and opened my eyes to the level of work carried out, now looking into other similar books.

Banned
    Even the late Godmother of Horological books, Rita Shenton, could find nothing on enamel dials and the painting of them.

Love the title of the thread

"owners"

What if one just likes the look of them but prefers wearing their PP minute repeater 24/7 and that's the only watch they own? Still relevant or is it just for owners?

I remember one rolex milsub owner telling the forum many years back that phoenix nato straps were available from rolex St James' but he wasn't sure if you had to be a milsub owner to buy one or not.

Have a nice evening everyone :)

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Appears that way!

It’s been a great read and opened my eyes to the level of work carried out, now looking into other similar books.
    This looks a very nice book!!!

I have to say black polishing is probably my favourite. I'm a bit meh on anglage obsessiveness tbh. I also like frosting which tends to be associated with more 'English' movements - frosting by Greubel Forsey is immense (actually GF are the best example on how to do finishing) - good example here - https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...ncier-sapphire

Excellent. Must be nice to be able to see and sort of “unlock” all the knowledge and appreciation of the value of the work in your watch after you already thought you know it quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Love the title of the thread

"owners"

What if one just likes the look of them but prefers wearing their PP minute repeater 24/7 and that's the only watch they own? Still relevant or is it just for owners?

I remember one rolex milsub owner telling the forum many years back that phoenix nato straps were available from rolex St James' but he wasn't sure if you had to be a milsub owner to buy one or not.

Have a nice evening everyone :)
    Yes I said must have for owners which in my opinion it is as it shows the work gone into these watches and will help a lucky owner appreciate what he has, however at no point have I said exclusively for openworked owners so calm down buy the book and enjoy hahaha
    Last edited by pitbull666; 8th April 2019 at 07:57.

Sooooo, where do I get one of these books? Will AP gift me one if I turn up at their Bond St offices?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Sooooo, where do I get one of these books? Will AP gift me one if I turn up at their Bond St offices?
    Maybe if you buy the watch and become an owner. Otherwise probably need to buy the book