closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex madness

Craftsman

Rolex madness

I spent most of today visiting numerous Rolex authorised dealers in London with the hope of getting on "a list" to purchase a Hulk or Pepsi GMT and have been told Rolex do no longer accept non existing customers!

I know they are very much in demand but I just cant get my head round this. I am in no rush but would simply like to buy a brand new watch rather than used.

Does anyone have any local AD that would be willing to accept a new customer? I am more than willing to travel!

What has happened of late? The last Rolex I bought new way back in 2008 was a far more pleasurable experience.

What can you say other than there are other brands...

I remember buying a blue dial TT Submariner in Goldsmiths in 2010 and I was presented with the old dial version, the newly released Ceramic version and a SD for comparison. When I go in now they are completely unable to confirm anything, it's all controlled by head office don't you know.

Apart from the WIS sheep who must conform (and there are many on here), most serious buyers will go elsewhere.

Craftsman
    I do own many other brands but I cannot deny I am a huge Rolex fan! At this moment in time there are no other watches I lust after, not even a Daytona :D

Ps do they actually sell watches in the Burlington Arcade, prices are actually laughable!

You may encounter an added obstacle in your pursuit...... some AD's will not add people that are not local to waiting lists/notes of interest for the professional steel models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolex madness

Well everyone dies at some point.... so if that were 100% true then in time they would never sell another watch !

I think more accurate would be that ADs have some customers who regularly spend a lot in their shop so naturally get first “dibs” on new Rolex’s to keep that relationship mutually beneficial. Add in Rolex policy of restricted supply numbers and you get to where you are.

If you really want one join the lists, wait it out, and eventually you will become one of those existing customers. Many do. Personally I think it’s crazy but plenty are willing to do it.

You say you bought a brand new one in 2008 so you are not a new customer. Have you tried the AD where you bought that one?
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 9th June 2018 at 05:47.

Master
    Plenty out in the field and on TZ to choose from pre-owned, it’s not as if there’s only one or two knocking about.

Just get your head round the fact that’s it’s a closed shop as far as new customers go they have enough on the books, at least they are honest and not giving you false hope.

Buy over list, they will soon catch up in price.

It’s not nice being told “no” but that’s the way it is at the moment, I spent a few quid at my AD’s but I’m in competition with mega spenders and I’m way down the list, albeit on it but getting further down.

Sent from my Bentley with optional security glass.

Skip the hype, buy another brand :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found this an interesting read about some brands https://www.ablogtowatch.com/why-som...ible-retail/2/

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

As others have said, maybe consider another brand,.
    Alternatively, if it must be a Hulk/Pepsi/BLNR go to a grey dealer and pay over list.

The other alternative is consider starting your rolex buying with a nice new Datejust or similar from an AD. They’ll have a choice in stock and start the relationship that way (I did).

Once the relationship is built you’ll get on their lists and get Watches more easily. Most ADs now don’t accept non locals and only sell to preferred customers.

You’re wanting the most desirable models and that’s the biggest hurdle.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.

Well I’ve just been into my local Rolex AD and caught sight of the list, by that I mean A4 folder full of lists for Rolex, Patek and Tudor! Can’t see that you have a chance if your not already on a list or spending money with them for less desirable models.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BCD View Post
    Well I’ve just been into my local Rolex AD and caught sight of the list, by that I mean A4 folder full of lists for Rolex, Patek and Tudor! Can’t see that you have a chance if your not already on a list or spending money with them for less desirable models.
    Ha - at least a list does exist with that AD then

It’s all b*llocks. Buy a brand that wants your business and treats you well.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Ha - at least a list does exist with that AD then
    They exist but if a great customer strolls through the door, or a local celeb is looking for that model, they’ll always get preference over regular people on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    To play the devil's advocate, isn't Rolex treating their customers the best on market? It's ADs that decide how the most desireable models are distributed. Rolex could increase production or increase pricing, both would lead to increased revenues from short term point of view, but if anything he is cutting down the production maybe because it wants to focus on PM models? Who knows. But I as a customer who bought one of their watches (I would never pay above retail), do not have to worry about my watch becoming worthless or losing ton of it's value when it's successor arrives, so technically they treat me the best as when time comes for upgrade or I want to change watch on a whim, due to their marketing/business model I will be able to reclaim most of the watch cost if not more and purchase new one. Would people prefer if Rolex in order to keep "prestige" increased prices by 50% on the desireable models ? They would probably still sell then, or would you prefer if they increased their production by a lot lowering the resale prices? I mean I understand your point and I would love Pepsi and Daytona for retail too I just like to look at things from different perspective time to time.

Craftsman
    My local AD said they don't even have a waiting list, just an "Expression of interest" for when they get one in stock. Wasn't very clear what that actually means though and they said for things like the sub there was no chance. I won't be on it, whatever it is, weirdest idea of customer service I ever saw.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    My local AD said they don't even have a waiting list, just an "Expression of interest" for when they get one in stock. ... whatever it is, weirdest idea of customer service I ever saw.
    It means they sell to whoever they feel like and presumably someone who regularly spends with them gets priority, irrespective of any list. It is c**p for the likes of you and me but, in this case, they have been brutally honest. They could have fawned all over you, promised to add your name to "the list" and given you false hope that you might get the watch sometime this century. Would that have been better customer service? They are a "victim" in this as much as prospective purchasers; they must be heartily sick of having to deal with enquiries they know they will never be able to fulfill.

Rather than retaining cards, maybe a £1,000 non-refundable deposit for the sought after models might make life more difficult for grey market dealers. It wouldn't put me off if it got me closer to getting a watch I wanted at list.

It all taints the brand for me, ironically.

Craftsman

Window.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    It means they sell to whoever they feel like and presumably someone who regularly spends with them gets priority, irrespective of any list. It is c**p for the likes of you and me but, in this case, they have been brutally honest. They could have fawned all over you, promised to add your name to "the list" and given you false hope that you might get the watch sometime this century. Would that have been better customer service? They are a "victim" in this as much as prospective purchasers; they must be heartily sick of having to deal with enquiries they know they will never be able to fulfill.

Rather than retaining cards, maybe a £1,000 non-refundable deposit for the sought after models might make life more difficult for grey market dealers. It wouldn't put me off if it got me closer to getting a watch I wanted at list.

They could of course just put them up for sale in the Window and have no such thing as a list or force you to buy some PM model you never wanted just to get a Sports Rolex.

Should they really be called Sports Rolex these days or maybe a more suitable title would be, Status Rolex.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post

They could of course just put them up for sale in the Window and have no such thing as a list or force you to buy some PM model you never wanted just to get a Sports Rolex.

Should they really be called Sports Rolex these days or maybe a more suitable title would be, Status Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    My local AD said they don't even have a waiting list, just an "Expression of interest" for when they get one in stock. Wasn't very clear what that actually means though and they said for things like the sub there was no chance. I won't be on it, whatever it is, weirdest idea of customer service I ever saw.
    I think this is how my dealer is operating, I hadn’t officially asked to be considered for a Pepsi, just casual chatter on Instagram over the course of Baselworld. Out of the blue on June 1st I receive a call, “do I want a Pepsi?”. Apparently I was one of three people they considered for it and I suppose because we get on well that’s what tipped the balance in my favour. However I had previously asked to be put on a list for a Daytona, which I pestered them for over a 10 month period. But that was then, imagine how many enquiries a day most Rolex ADs receive now. Through the front door, over the phone, online. Lists become a bit pointless when you’re 98th in line for a model they may only receive 1 or 2 units of per year.

Frustratingly for everyone, existing customers and people attempting to buy their first watch, lack of supply is what’s causing the issue. Bizarrely I think a reduced supply and a price rise might be one way to help the situation, but I don’t see it changing massively for a couple of years even after that happens (if it happens at all).

Until then my suggestion is to go back to your local AD, talk to them, get known by them. Become “the Sub guy”. Remember their names and between visits ring and ask if there’s any update on when you might get your watch. I’m sure the first few times they’ll bat you off, but this tactic has worked for me in the past. He who shouts loudest etc. but be polite.

Or, instead buy from the grey market or wait until one appears on the forum. There’s been a couple of good Sub offerings this past week. Options at least to consider.

Was that recent or way back 5 years ago ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    .........The other alternative is consider starting your rolex buying with a nice new Datejust or similar from an AD. They’ll have a choice in stock and start the relationship that way (I did).

Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    Was that recent or way back 5 years ago ?
    I got a Datejust in 2004 but buying a stock piece is a good way to start the buying history.

Master
    Yep but generally those all tank in value when you buy them. Part of the reason why so many people want these SS Rolexes is because they hold their value and more often than not sell at a large premium over rrp.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    I found this an interesting read about some brands https://www.ablogtowatch.com/why-som...ible-retail/2/

The article sums it up well.

If you are happy to be manipulated ("humiliated"?) to purchase retail a deliberately restricted supply luxury watch for yourself then stick it out. You'll eventually get one if you run around and prostrate yourself enough.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post

If you are happy to be manipulated ("humiliated"?) to purchase retail a deliberately restricted supply luxury watch for yourself then stick it out. You'll eventually get one if you run around and prostrate yourself enough.
    Indeed. However, as PT Barnum once said, there's one born every minute
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Yep but generally those all tank in value when you buy them. Part of the reason why so many people want these SS Rolexes is because they hold their value and more often than not sell at a large premium over rrp.

And yet - they complain bitterly when they come up against restricted supply...........

They don’t see (or care) that short supply and high resale - go hand in hand.

Also - we now have a generation of people who feel entitled, but .....‘sometimes mommy has to say - no!’

Rolex are very good at protecting their image - but those who are thwarted in their attempts to buy in to it - will call them all the barstewards under the sun.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post

A pretty accurate assessment I would say.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Yes, they could but they don’t. If they did, do you think you’d be any more likely to get one? I doubt it.

I presume ADs know what’s best for their business and the majority appear to sell hard to find models according to their own criteria. A sod for those of us who miss out but can’t say I’d do different if I was an AD.

What is madness is threads about this are still being started.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post

Sent from my Bentley with optional security glass.
    😂

Simply buy another brand, don't believe the hype...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

As others have said, maybe consider another brand,.
    Alternatively, if it must be a Hulk/Pepsi/BLNR go to a grey dealer and pay over list.

The other alternative is consider starting your rolex buying with a nice new Datejust or similar from an AD. They’ll have a choice in stock and start the relationship that way (I did).

Once the relationship is built you’ll get on their lists and get Watches more easily. Most ADs now don’t accept non locals and only sell to preferred customers.

You’re wanting the most desirable models and that’s the biggest hurdle.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.
    Relationship?

It's just you spending money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Relationship?

It's just you spending money.
    Relationship is vital to get the key pieces from an AD without having to go the grey market route.

Journeyman
    Adding my 2 cents here, vis-a-vis “special relationship with the AD”

My read on special relationship = paid over the odds for a PM watch = big profit for AD and Rolex

Did a calculation the other day whereby I tried to resolve the PM content of a Pt and Au Daytona against published masses and the SS mass.

I got the mechanism somewhere around 45grams for a constant volume of watch. That meant 5 to 6 ounces of Au and Pt respectively. That puts the case and bracelet cost (PM metal only) at less than £15k.

Add VAT, and a few other bits and pieces and I reckon a Pt Daytona’s got a clear £30 margin in it after VAT but excluding any AD discount (10% max).

So yes, buy a PM lump and demand a special relationship cos you just gave them 6 to 7 Daytona SS’s in clear profit.

Master
    Ha, there is a grey dealer GMT Jubilee in the U.S. available but man, it aint' cheap!!!

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/gmt...GB&SETCURR=GBP

Relationship is vital to get the key pieces from an AD without having to go the grey market route.
    Spending money is what's required.

At some point in life, it becomes very important to signal one's individuality, success and discernment with an offbeat choice. Only a Rolex can do this.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Ha, there is a grey dealer GMT Jubilee in the U.S. available but man, it aint' cheap!!!

At that level of dosh....I’ll take back my last post. The outgoing white gold model looks like a bargain.

stupid....stupid.....stupid

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    At some point in life, it becomes very important to signal one's individuality, success and discernment with an offbeat choice. Only a Rolex can do this.

Brilliant.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post

Same price as the UK one...

Spending money is what's required.

Go to many a local store / shop / Car workshop regularly to spend money - and you will probably become to the owner......... “a valued customer”.

That may in the future - bring benefits.

Now apply that to a Rolex Authorised Dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post

Hobbes is never wrong.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Same price as the UK one...
    “serious buyers only”

And he can he bothered putting a picture up

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Go to many a local store / shop / Car workshop regularly to spend money - and you will probably become to the owner......... “a valued customer”.

That may in the future - bring benefits.

Now apply that to a Rolex Authorised Dealer.
    Yes, I understand all this but doubt the owner would describe it as a relationship.

I've owned a few Rolex over the years, a couple of those I bought new (about 20 years ago). Excellent watches, I liked them all.

In those days I just went into the shop (it's not a boutique or anything else like that it's a shop that sells watches - bit like Clarks sell shoes). I chatted with the polite friendly people there, tried a few watches on & decided on the Rolex I wanted, if they didn't have it (as was the case with a GMT Master I wanted) they got one in. I then bought it & that was that.

At no point did I have to enter into a "relationship" with the shop, or kiss their ar$e to get one. Or maybe buy a different less exclusive model so they'd like me & put me on a magic list so I might be good enough to one day be given the esteemed honour of paying Rolex my money to buy one of their watches, that I really did want. At the time I felt that as it was a luxury purchase & I was the guy with the money, that made me the customer & they rather needed me so would treat me accordingly.

If people wish to enter into this merry go round fair enough it's your choice & I do hope you enjoy your Rolex, I'm sure you will as they're lovely things. However in my opinion as long as people do this Rolex will continue with this crap. They're not doing you a favour by selling you a watch & I personally would find all this rather insulting & I won't be insulted when buying anything. Therefore even if I was going to buy a new Rolex I think i'd pass & find another brand that would actually treat me with some respect when I'm handing over a not insignificant amount of money.

This is however just my opinion.

Yes, I understand all this but doubt the owner would describe it as a relationship.
    Perhaps it would if the owner looked at it in terms of the relationship between an extortionist and their victim...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    What is madness is threads about this are still being started.
    Agreed.

"Rolex don't make enough watches!" / "Rolex is a machine made, mass-produced watch, how can something so common ever truly be called 'exclusive' or special?!"

"Rolex should just increase prices to reduce demand and stop the grey market!" / "Rolex watches are over-priced baubles trading on nothing but marketing hype!"

"Rolex should change their wildly successful business model so as I can get a Daytona!" / "I hope Rolex doesn't change their business model, the thing I love talking about most is how my Rolex appreciates in value & showing it off to those who can't find one!"

And on...and on...and on...and...

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    I've owned a few Rolex over the years, a couple of those I bought new (about 20 years ago). Excellent watches, I liked them all.

In those days I just went into the shop (it's not a boutique or anything else like that it's a shop that sells watches - bit like Clarks sell shoes). I chatted with the polite friendly people there, tried a few watches on & decided on the Rolex I wanted, if they didn't have it (as was the case with a GMT Master I wanted) they got one in. I then bought it & that was that.

At no point did I have to enter into a "relationship" with the shop, or kiss their ar$e to get one. Or maybe buy a different less exclusive model so they'd like me & put me on a magic list so I might be good enough to one day be given the esteemed honour of paying Rolex my money to buy one of their watches, that I really did want. At the time I felt that as it was a luxury purchase & I was the guy with the money, that made me the customer & they rather needed me so would treat me accordingly.

If people wish to enter into this merry go round fair enough it's your choice & I do hope you enjoy your Rolex, I'm sure you will as they're lovely things. However in my opinion as long as people do this Rolex will continue with this crap. They're not doing you a favour by selling you a watch & I personally would find all this rather insulting & I won't be insulted when buying anything. Therefore even if I was going to buy a new Rolex I think i'd pass & find another brand that would actually treat me with some respect when I'm handing over a not insignificant amount of money.

This is however just my opinion.
    Well said...

Craftsman
    Relationship in the Stockholm syndrome sense

Craftsman
    You guys make me laugh with this endless "create a relationship with an AD" BS. What this exactly means:
    1. Buy some non SS Rolex which you don't want
    2. Buy a PM Rolex
    3. Buy some overpriced jewellery
    4. Buy a Tag, Breitling, etc watch at list price

The above options means basically losing money because in case of resale you will take a bath.

Or maybe relationship means:
    1. Pass regularly by the AD to chat
    2. Call to ask every week where on list you are
    3. Don't forget to bring the AD his favourite coffee

The above is basically a waste of time. Or kissing someone's a$$ for the privilege of spending thousands of £. The ablogtowatch article is spot on.

How about you go to a grey dealer, try the watch and leave with it there and then. Yes it is above list, but I bet most of the times it will be cheaper than the AD relationship. Or if the watch is too expensive at grey prices, then maybe it is not for you after all.

Or even better, get the number of TZ posts by writing something valuable and wait for a watch to come. We saw several SS Rolex in the SC recently which were priced fairly and sold immediately.

The number of posts of people moaning how tough is to get a SS Rolex are getting tiring. Life is unfair, we should all know that by now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I didn’t have a ‘relationship’ with my AD. I said I wanted a Hulk, the manager sourced me one within a few months and they took my money.

Craftsman
    From a retailer who treats you well ?