closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first SOTC for ages!

My first SOTC for ages!

Well, a few people have asked that I post a collection update and - given that it’s been about a year and a half since I’ve done so - I thought it probably wasn’t a bad idea. In fact, there have been quite a few changes over that period (not least three new watches in the past week or so).

Anyway, here we go, in order of the length of time I’ve owned them…

2011 Glashutte Original Senator Perpetual Calendar

I've had this for five years now, slightly longer than my 5513. I love the Germanic take on the perpetual calendar, and unsurprisingly it’s a beautifully clean dial despite the complications. I wear this relatively infrequently, but it always gives me a jolt when I look at it on my wrist.

1981 Rolex 5513

This is a Mark IV Maxi (wearing a Mk III fat font insert) and quite simply it's the nicest that I've seen, with an immaculate dial and lovely thick case too. I’ve owned this nearly as long as the GO, and Bea tells me it’s going to be hers when I peg it.

2013 Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167/A

Another watch I’ve had for a few years now, and despite the perception that it’s less robust than some it doesn’t have a mark on it. I honestly think that the Aquanaut is the best modern sports watch, bar none. It has to be worn to be fully appreciated, and it's so adaptable I've even worn it for black tie events. Perfect in every way, and consistently running at +1spd.

2015 Breitling Aerospace Night Mission

I've had a lot of Aerospaces, but the Night Mission is the one that does it for me (and this is my second – I had the cobra dial LE as well, although I find the black dial a lot more wearable). I find that I need an ana-digi in the watch box, and this has filled my old B-1's shoes perfectly. In fact, I think the Aerospace is as good as it gets in ana-digi terms.

2006 Zenith Chronomaster Moonphase

This is one of the classic Zeniths, as well as housing an all-time classic movement. With a triple date and moonphase it’s not a simple watch, but it’s beautifully executed and massively underestimated IMO. I recently snagged a new Zenith dark brown alligator strap and deployant, which looks lovely and has dressed it up a bit (although I don't have a decent photo of it yet).

2016 Grand Seiko 130th Anniversary SBGW033

I waited, and waited, and waited to get my hands on the 130th Anniversary Grand Seiko, because there’s a perfect simplicity to it that I fell in love with the moment it was announced. They’re not easy to come by, and it’s pretty obvious why that is.

2001 Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49140

I have to admit that, until I met a mate from here for a beer and some watch chat, I’d never really intended to buy a Vacheron. However, the moment I tried it on (and this is the slightly smaller 40mm model) I was completely blown away by the quality and the overall look and feel of it. In my own mind I bought it to tide me over until I found a ceramic Daytona at a sensible price. That’s not going to happen any time soon but I don’t think I could move this on now, anyway.

2017 Panerai PAM512

I’m a huge Panerai fan, but having said that I’m also very picky. I’ve had some beauties, and this 512 is my second 42mm model; it’s also my favourite, although the 337 ran it close. I won’t refer to the 512 as a Radiomir, as it’s not (and neither is it a Luminor). It’s actually a model line of its own, resembling – if anything – the transitional Radiomirs from around 80 years ago.

1960 Jaeger le Coultre K880

I saw this watch on one of the better vintage dealer websites, and it popped up at a time when I’d been looking to an Omega alternative for a nice birth year watch. It’s an absolute beuty, actually, the lauded K880 movement housed within a 9ct gold De Trevars case. I don’t wear it as often as some of my others, but that’s as it should be, I think.

1966 Breitling Navitimer 806

This is a 2nd Generation 806 that dates to 1966, incorporating the earlier/smaller subdials that I think are by far the nicer of the two types. It’s actually my third 806, and I do think that they’re marvellous watches. The 2nd Generation saw a few important changes, actually – the three subdials changed from black to white, the hands were remodelled and the Breitling name appeared in printing on the dial... an important period for one of the great watches of all time.

2005 Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600

I guess there’s not a great deal to say about the classic SD, but there’s no doubt that it has a strong claim to being the best of the best. This one is in superb condition, and it’s taken on the role of my default watch; when I don’t quite know what to choose this one is always there, just about perfect for anything.

2017 Blancpain Tribute to Fifty Fathoms Milspec

I bloody love the Fifty fathoms, but having owned three previously (the standard Automatic, the Dark Knight and the No Radiations LE) I had to conclude that at 45mm they were a tad too large for me. However, the 40mm milspec tribute is nigh-on perfect. Having not thought I’d be able to land one I ended up with the strap version, and then the bracelet version. Whilst I currently have it on a strap, the bracelet is sublime.

1960 IWC Ingenieur 666 AD

This was a funny one. I’d been lusting after a 666 since John/11erv waved his in my face, but repeated nagging over a year and a half failed to bear fruit. Then unexpectedly, this one became available at a time when I didn’t really have funds set aside for another watch. I remember thinking “as long as it’s not another birth year I can resist it…”

2018 Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda Metrographe

Now, I happen to know these watches reasonably well, in that Tim/java has a couple in gold that I’d lovingly fondled on numerous occasions. Bea and I always make a point of looking at them in Regent Sreet WoS when we pop in too, and (finally) I very, very nearly bought one online from the US a while back. They’re incredible watches, with glorious movements and a style unlike anything else on the market.

1999 Rolex GMT 16710

Now, I’d been on the hunt for a GMT for months when this came along, although admittedly I was after a replacement for the divine 16750 I stupidly sold some time ago. However, I was offered this one in a trade and aside from the fact that it’s got the rare “Swiss-only” dial (which were only made for a year or so) it happens to be completely unpolished and a full set that even includes the original sales receipt. What’s not to love?

2018 Royal Oak Offshore Diver 15710ST

This last one really blindsided me, actually, although I’ve had a couple of "regular" Royal Oaks before and think they’re fantastic watches. I’d just sold an old Daytona to get some funds in liquid form in case I happen across a ceramic model whilst I’m in NY (I fly there tomorrow). However, this beauty reared its head about ten minutes drive from me, and then turned up in my kitchen accompanied by one of our forum favourites. It would have been rude not to.

Right, that’s it then. I’m going to go and pack now. I hope you didn’t find that boring, and I apologise if you did!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 20th July 2018 at 11:53.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, a few people have asked that I post a collection update and - given that it’s been about a year and a half that I’ve done so - I thought it probably wasn’t a bad idea. In fact, there have been quite a few changes over that period (not least three new watches in the past week or so).

Anyway, here we go, in order of the length of time I’ve owned them…

2011 Glashutte Original Senator Perpetual Calendar

I've had this for five years now, slightly longer than my 5513. I love the Germanic take on the perpetual calendar, and unsurprisingly it’s a beautifully clean dial despite the complications. I wear this relatively infrequently, but it always gives me a jolt when I look at it on my wrist.

1981 Rolex 5513

This is a Mark IV Maxi (wearing a Mk III fat font insert) and quite simply it's the nicest that I've seen, with an immaculate dial and lovely thick case too. I’ve owned this nearly as long as the GO, and Bea tells me it’s going to be hers when I peg it.

2013 Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167/A

Another watch I’ve had for a few years now, and despite the perception that it’s less robust than some it doesn’t have a mark on it. I honestly think that the Aquanaut is the best modern sports watch, bar none. It has to be worn to be fully appreciated, and it's so adaptable I've even worn it for black tie events. Perfect in every way, and consistently running at +1spd.

2015 Breitling Aerospace Night Mission

I've had a lot of Aerospaces, but the Night Mission is the one that does it for me (and this is my second – I had the cobra dial LE as well, although I find the black dial a lot more wearable). I find that I need an ana-digi in the watch box, and this has filled my old B-1's shoes perfectly. In fact, I think the Aerospace is as good as it gets in ana-digi terms.

2006 Zenith Chronomaster Moonphase

This is one of the classic Zeniths, as well as housing an all-time classic movement. With a triple date and moonphase it’s not a simple watch, but it’s beautifully executed and massively underestimated IMO. I recently snagged a new Zenith darkish alligator strap on a Zenith deployant, which looks lovely and has dressed it up a bit (although I don't have a decent photo of it yet).

2016 Grand Seiko 130th Anniversary SBGW033

I waited, and waited, and waited to get my hands on the 130th Anniversary Grand Seiko, because there’s a perfect simplicity to it that I fell in love with the moment it was announced. They’re not easy to come by, and it’s pretty obvious why that is.

2001 Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph

I have to admit that, until I met a mate from here for a beer and some watch chat, I’d never really intended to buy a Vacheron. However, the moment I tried it on (and this is the slightly smaller 39mm model) I was completely blown away by the quality and the overall look and feel of it. In my own mind I bought it to tide me over until I found a ceramic Daytona at a sensible price. That’s not going to happen any time soon but I don’t think I could move this on now, anyway.

2017 Panerai PAM512

I’m a huge Panerai fan, but having said that I’m also very picky. I’ve had some beauties (including a 233 and 337) and this 512 is therefore my second 42mm model; it’s also my favourite, although the 337 ran it close. I won’t refer to the 512 as a Radiomir, as it’s not (and neither is it a Luminor). It’s actually a model line of its own, resembling – if anything – the transitional Radiomirs from around 80 years ago.

1960 Jaeger le Coultre K880

I saw this watch on one of the better vintage dealer websites, and it popped up at a time when I’d been looking to an Omega alternative for a nice birth year watch. It’s an absolute beuty, actually, the lauded K880 movement housed within a 9ct gold De Trevars case. I don’t wear it as often as some of my others, but that’s as it should be, I think.

1966 Breitling Navitimer 806

This is a 2nd Generation 806 that dates to 1966, incorporating the earlier/smaller subdials that I think are by far the nicer of the two types. It’s actually my third 806, and I do think that they’re marvellous watches. The 2nd Generation saw a few important changes, actually – the three subdials changed from black to white, the hands were remodelled and the Breitling name appeared in printing on the dial

2005 Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600

I guess there’s not a great deal to say about the classic SD, but there’s no doubt that it has a strong claim to being the best of the best. This one is in superb condition, and it’s taken on the role of my default watch; when I don’t quite know what to choose this one is always there, just about perfect for anything.

2017 Blancpain Tribute to Fifty Fathoms Milspec

I bloody love the Fifty fathoms, but having owned three previously (the standard Automatic, the Dark Knight and the No radiations LE) I had to conclude that at 45mm they were a tad too large for me. However, the 40mm milspec tribute is nigh-on perfect. Having not thought I’d be able to land one I ended up with the strap version, and then the bracelet version. Whilst I currently have it on a strap, the bracelet is sublime.

1960 IWC Ingenieur 666 AD

This was a funny one. I’d been lusting after a 666 since John/11erv waved his in my face, but repeated nagging over a year and a half failed to bear fruit. Then unexpectedly, this one became available at a time when I didn’t really have funds set aside for another watch. I remember thinking “as long as it’s not another birth year I can resist it…”

2018 Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda Metrographe

Now, I happen t know these watches reasonably well, in that Tim/java has a couple on gold that I’d lovingly fondled on numerous occasions. Bea and I always make a point of looking at them in Regent Sreet WoS when we pop in too, and (finally) I very, very nearly bought one online from the US a while back. They’re incredible watches, with glorious movements and a style unlike anything else on the market.

1999 Rolex GMT 16710

Now, I’d been on the hunt for a GMT for months when this came along, although admittedly I was a replacement for the divine 16750 I stupidly sold some time ago. However, I was offered this one in a trade and aside from the fact that it’s got the rare “Swiss-only” dial (which were only made for a year or so) it happens to be completely unpolished and a full set that even includes the original sales receipt. What’s not to love?

2018 Royal Oak Offshore Diver 15710ST

The last one really blindsided me, actually, although I’ve had a couple of Royal oaks before and think they’re fantastic watches. I’d just sold an old Daytona to get some funds in liquid form in case I happen across a ceramic model whilst I’m in NY (I fly there tomorrow). However, this beauty reared its head about ten minutes drive from me, and then turned up in my kitchen accompanied by one of our forum favourites. It would have been rude not to.

Right, that’s it then. I’m going to go and pack now. I hope you didn’t find that boring, and I apologise if you did!
    APRO & 16710 for me Mr A. Personally I think that Chronomaster would look better on another strap with a buckle but hey that’s just me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very well balanced collection, I guess for me the mil spec Fifty Fathoms reedition and 5513 take the cake.

Craftsman
    That's a phenomenal collection, thanks for taking the time to post. Love the 5513, Night Mission and the 16710.

The 666 is clearly the face waving pick of the splendid bunch. Where’s the strap from, Tony? It really rather suits it...

Hope all is well.

Regards
    John

PS...I still have the same regrets over our fabulous old 16750.

Master
    A great post.
    I have been thinking about an Aquanaut for some time now and your write up makes me think I should have a long hard look....
    I honestly recon out of all that lot I could live with just the Patek, the JLC and the 16710, but never the less you have a cracking collection there.

Craftsman
    Well that’s it folks ... IMO as near as it gets to utopia , pull the shutter down and put the gone fishing sign up !
    Congratulations all round on detail , content and images .. a lesson to all of us . Relax and enjoy .... in good health of course & thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Norbert

Craftsman
    Phenomenal collection, beautifully photographed.

Craftsman
    Not too shabby!
    I love your 5513 and the 5167 is almost the perfect watch, it works for all occasions.
    Is the ceramic Daytona still on the cards?

Great collection, lots of love from me to most of those watches but the 16600 really rocks my boat, think I need to get saving!

What a collection! Great variance of watches!

Master
    Wow!

The usual suspects 5513, 16710, 16600 - all classics of course, but if i had to chose one it would be between the GS, VC and the 666.

Fantastic Tony, how long have you been putting that collection together?

Master
    All superb, although the JLC K880 and the Breitling 806 would be my personal favourites.

You mentioned Tim (Java) do you keep in contact and how is he? He also had some fine pieces.

Craftsman
    Awesome collection, stunning photos and a great write up.

Master
    An amazing collection and great photos. Every time you do a SOTC you have a number of great watches, and the next time there's always change and there's just as many great watches. It's great to see change over time, I keep thinking I should be more willing to flip and that way I'd get to try a lot more watches

Craftsman
    Wow, no further words are needed

Master
    Absolutely stunning collection! Great write up accompanied by fantastic photos. Love it and very jealous!

Sorry there is no proper comment coming from me I’m still drooling! Stunning collection and lovely photos. A collection I can only aspire too!

Master
    Meh.

Seriously though, a collection some of us can only dream of!

Blog Entries
    What a load of s*Ut^ watches T. As ever extremely jealous pal. If I could have one it would be the FF. Thanks for posting !

Thanks for sharing that, great collection. I love the Zenith, so understated. I also like the AP a lot, and that standout 5513. Wear them all in good health!

Apprentice
    Wow ! Trying to think of more words but "nice collection" doesn't seem strong enough. Bloody Wow !

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice Tony! That AP is growing on me a lot

What watch are you taking to NYC??

Im taking my 5711 to the Rockerfeller to get the 1.5 link (and fitted)

Craftsman
    A cracking, aspirational, collection.

Master
    Superb Tony, just superb, loving the 5513 and 16600, havent a clue what the rest are!

Blog Entries
    Lovely pics, no fantastic snaps as always Hunky, couple on munters, sorry, but some really corkers.

Does your 5167 really glow above the 5513 and 16710?? The PP is my aspiration but it does concern if it would be a damp squid.

Always good to see where your collection goes T and directional change.

Trust all else is pal.

Paul

Craftsman
    If Carlsberg did watch collections....

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Lovely pics, no fantastic snaps as always Hunky, couple on munters, sorry, but some really corkers.

it does concern if it would be a damp squid.

Trust all else is pal.
    Beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    They're beauties and you've owned nearly everything out there, so is there anything else out there you're wanting to try?

Craftsman
    Struggle to understand how anyone could find that boring! I’m in love with the Vacheron.. thought it was 42.5mm?

Blog Entries
    Wow - the set keeps growing!! I now have a few of those but not those later ones!! Superb effort.

Martyn

Exquisite taste Tony, they are all lovely.

Only missing a G... :)

Master
    Very nice Tony, give yourself a week off from buying watches, you have earned it

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Very nice Tony! That AP is growing on me a lot

Im taking my 5711 to the Rockerfeller to get the 1.5 link (and fitted)
    I thought that you got one when you where last year?
    Is that Rockerfeller’s in Manchester?

Now that is an awesome collection

There are so many pieces that I would love to have.

One day, I must try on a Blancpain Tribute to Fifty Fathoms Milspec

Congratulations Tony on your superb collection.

What an impressive week or two you have had

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I thought that you got one when you where last year?
    Is that Rockerfeller’s in Manchester?
    Nah last year in London they didn’t have the 1.5 link in stock so it’s never been quite the perfect fit. Though it might be just a case of experimenting as I have lost a lot of weight also (I took another section off the Aquanaut strap last week). However I don’t fancy experimenting with the Nautilus pins so will get PP in New York to do it.
    Last edited by kultschar; 9th June 2018 at 03:39.

Yeah, and I was gonna do my first ever SOTC at 2000 posts... Don't think I'l bother

Beautiful set Tony. I seem to remember you were thinning the herd a while back? Good effort!

Master
    Some top examples of top end watches in there, great collection. I think your Autavia GMT would still have had a place in there for me but it's not too shabby a collection without it! It was your pic of the Night Mission that had me thinking about buying a watch I'd previously had zero interest in so I'm writing this whilst trying not to look at the VC again...

[Thanks very much for the comments - I know these SOTC posts can seem a bit repetitive sometimes, but there have been a fair few changes in the last year or so and I always enjoy following other people's journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    The 666 is clearly the face waving pick of the splendid bunch. Where’s the strap from, Tony? It really rather suits it...
    It's just a Hirsch lizard, John - lovely strap, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    Is the ceramic Daytona still on the cards?
    If I ever get the chance, for sure. I'm hoping NY bears fruit but the exchange rate is cr*p.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Fantastic Tony, how long have you been putting that collection together?
    I tertms of silly numbers of watches, not that long - say, a decade. Before that, I had a few nice watches but only one at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    You mentioned Tim (Java) do you keep in contact and how is he? He also had some fine pieces.
    The whole family seem to be loving life out there (and I can see why, actually). He's fine, although I think he may be selling a few of his watches shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I've been struggling to decide, but probably just the SD, the GMT and the Night Mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Does your 5167 really glow above the 5513 and 16710?? The PP is my aspiration but it does concern if it would be a damp squid.
    It's phenomenal. It would be neither a squid nor a squib, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    They're beauties and you've owned nearly everything out there, so is there anything else out there you're wanting to try?
    A few, but I don't have grails as such. The ceramic Daytona and new GMT are on the list, but after that it all gets a bit too expensive for comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch1984 View Post
    I’m in love with the Vacheron.. thought it was 42.5mm?
    The older models were a bit smaller, and far more wearable on a wrist under 7".

Great collection.

I was expecting there to be 5/6 watches but this went on and on... in a good way!

I think I would struggle to maintain such a collection in knowing what to wear and would end up wearing one or two watches at the most. I think the SD would stand as my default watch as well.

I always knew you had a decent (and quite fluid) collection but never knew just good it was; every watch is outstanding.

Fantastic collection. The Glashutte is very beautiful in particular. Wow.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

This has to be my favourite SOTC on here. Amazing photography skills.
    All bases covered and I would be delighted to wear all of these. I love them all but the GMT, Glashutte and 5167 are my pick of the bunch.

Thanks for your time in posting

Some collection!

Ah I remember the days when you tried to keep the collection to below 6-8

Lovely collection, I continue to admire the GO and the vintage Inge is also beautiful!

Master
    A lovely collection.... I don’t think there’s a watch there that I’d not be happy wearing... The vacheron and the zenith are particularly nice, but I’m drawn to chronos..

Blog Entries
    Very nice... my favourite is that IWC... wonderful

Grand Master
    A super collection, not all to my tastes but clearly you’ve thought long and hard about what you really like. Plenty of diversity too, which I like to see.

What puzzles me us why you’re lusting after a ceramic Daytona when you’ve got so many nicer watches! The previous model (white dial) would be my choice if I had to have one.

Paul