closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RIP Anthony Bourdain

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Suicide apparently. Just 61 years old. Loved his programmes and view on exotic cuisines

F me. Gutted.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Loved his book Kitchen Confidential.

RIP.

Really enjoyed his programmes on Netflix “ no reservations”. Seemed like a no bull sort of bloke.

Very sad 😢

Loved his programmes as well, leaves behind an 11 year old daughter, RIP.

Blog Entries
    Wow! Equally gutted. I watched one of his shows last night. He mentioned once that he history of depressions caused by drug abuse when he was young and alcohol when he was older.

Very sad for his young daughter

M

Master
    Wow this is a shock. Loved his programmes. RIP.

Cannot believe it... Always enjoyed the tv shows (check out the The Layover on Netflix) and loved the books....

Bit gutted really....

matt

Very saddened by this, I love 'Kitchen Confidential' and he was a very talented film-maker. A true one-off.

My sadness is even deeper for the family & friends he leaves behind. RIP.

Craftsman
    Very sad news indeed.

Gutted. Love his Layover series and his no nonsense approach. RIP

I didn't really know anything about him until he became the latest man to come between me and the future Mrs Seamaster73, Asia Argento.

RIP.

Craftsman
    Sad to here about his death .I enjoyed his book and his TV shows .Very droll and laconic style .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Very sad to hear. But a bit odd that it happened whilst he was travelling and working on his show.

Gutted. Enjoyed his TV. More sad about the family he leaves behind. Truly a waste. No one should feel they have to resort to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a terrible shame. AB had such a laconic style and tone, both in his writing and on the screen. Kitchen confidential got me into cooking in a big way. His love of fellow line cooks shone through in all his work.
    People on the outside can never really know what is going on inside their loved ones, the inner joy or turmoil. The tipping point in mental health issues can be such a bstad, just sneaking up on you when you are at your most vulnerable.
    J

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Gutted to hear the news. The guy opened up the world to many, the real food and could capture the essence of any country he went.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Shocked by the fact that all that food, sex, travel, drugs and money still couldn't make him happy. What hope is there for the rest of us.

I rank 'kitchen confidential' up in the highest echelons of culinary writing, along with Escoffier's 'repertoire de cuisine' they are seminal works.

I was still working as a chef when the book was released and it was an amazing feeling to see civilians reading about our world.

I would do a line in his honour if I had a line I could do.....

'Kitchen Confidential' is an absolutely astonishing book. I worked in a kitchen environment for several years myself (but as a lowly pot washer, porter, storeman, whatever...) and he writes viscerally, with such vim, humour, character & swagger...truly brilliant.

For those who aren't familiar, here's where the book sprung from, a New Yorker article which explains why fish on a Monday, well-done steak and reaching for the bread basket really aren't recommended: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...e-reading-this

"I love the sheer weirdness of the kitchen life: the dreamers, the crackpots, the refugees, and the sociopaths with whom I continue to work; the ever-present smells of roasting bones, searing fish, and simmering liquids; the noise and clatter, the hiss and spray, the flames, the smoke, and the steam. Admittedly, it’s a life that grinds you down. Most of us who live and operate in the culinary underworld are in some fundamental way dysfunctional. We’ve all chosen to turn our backs on the nine-to-five, on ever having a Friday or Saturday night off, on ever having a normal relationship with a non-cook."

A little poignant now.
    Last edited by Stringer; 8th June 2018 at 20:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    'Kitchen Confidential' is an absolutely astonishing book. I worked in a kitchen environment for several years myself (but as a lowly pot washer, porter, storeman, whatever...) and he writes viscerally, with such vim, humour, character & swagger...truly brilliant.

For those who aren't familiar, here's where the book sprung from, a New Yorker article which explains why fish on a Monday, well-done steak and reaching for the bread basket really aren't recommended: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...e-reading-this

"I love the sheer weirdness of the kitchen life: the dreamers, the crackpots, the refugees, and the sociopaths with whom I continue to work; the ever-present smells of roasting bones, searing fish, and simmering liquids; the noise and clatter, the hiss and spray, the flames, the smoke, and the steam. Admittedly, it’s a life that grinds you down. Most of us who live and operate in the culinary underworld are in some fundamental way dysfunctional. We’ve all chosen to turn our backs on the nine-to-five, on ever having a Friday or Saturday night off, on ever having a normal relationship with a non-cook."

A little poignant now.
    Man, I'd forgotten how well he could write.

I think he lived, and wrote, with gusto.

Master
    I must have watched most of Tony Bourdain’s shows over the years. He seldom did any cooking on any of them, but got through a lot of eating. I really liked him. It’s a very sad end.

Yet that absolute monster Kissinger, about whom Bourdain wrote the following, still breathes.

Craftsman
    Well posted Belligero
    It’s for writing like that I’ll miss him for

Loved his programmes and attitude
    A real loss

I had a lot of time for him, he always came across as a throughly decent human being.
    Last edited by rasputin; 9th June 2018 at 13:43.

Truly gutted an amazing,talented and much respected Broadcaster I remember Him being in Gaza and in tears at what was going on there very,very sad.

Master
    I had not heard of him until 2012 when I stumbled across his food travel programmes. They got me through some otherwise tedious train journeys for quite a while and I really got to like him.

Such a shame, and an unnecessarily premature end.