closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: True value of Tudor GMT on secondary market

Quote Originally Posted by hot66 View Post
    daft statement .. I can stretch for the Rolex equ. ( & have one order ) , but I'm also getting one of these Tudor GMT's. I actually prefer the look of the tudor over the rolex .

You make it sound like the tudor is going to be someones 2nd choice, where for me its my 1st choice
    Mine also. The thickness is a perceived malaise of the black bay. Some like it some hate it. The affordability comment is stupid though, I’m getting the bb58 and the gmt and just bought a Glashutte so to say I couldn’t “stretch to the real thing” is just inaccurate. Was going to say stupidly thick but it was too obvious

Just curious how thick it is compared to the new Rolex GMT-Master SS (I can Google it, just lazy at the mom’)?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I had a look at one of these at the weekend, stupidly thick.

Otherwise not bad for someone who can’t stretch to the Rolex equiv.
    Should read “for someone who doesn’t want to wait xx years for the Rolex equiv”

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    Tried one on this morning.

Nice watch, but as I suspected it's too thick and a little big for my liking, so will pass.

Eagerly awaiting the BB 58 to show up @ ADs.
    This is the reason I prefer it to the Rolex sub, sub is a little to small.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Just curious how thick it is compared to the new Rolex GMT-Master SS (I can Google it, just lazy at the mom’)?
    Seem around 25% thicker at a guess.

Banned

And you can’t make as much profit when you flip to to the gray dealers.

.....or wants a NEW watch but likes this look

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I’m getting the bb58 and the gmt and just bought a Glashutte so to say I couldn’t “stretch to the real thing” is just inaccurate.
    .....or wants a NEW watch but likes this look
    You don’t have to justify your new purchase to me, whatever makes you happy.

Master

There isn’t a Rolex equivalent that’s as appealing to some of us though.

Just because it’s a ‘rolex’ doesn’t mean everyone must want one.

I find the look of the Rolex GMT way too bling and I really don’t like the ceramic bezel finish.

I’m still committed to trying one of these for size when I see one, but I rather fear that the thickness will put me off.

How does it compare to the standard Black Bay diver? This was a bit of a slab when I tried it on, but just about ok.

Something tells me I’ll just be sticking with the 16710.

You don’t have to justify your new purchase to me, whatever makes you happy.
    I’m not . Just pointing out that the “unable to stretch” suggestion had flaws 🤣. The new BLRO Rolex is very nice but it’s SO different from the Tudor that I can’t see how you think one is a replacement for the other.

If I wanted a Rolex but couldn’t afford one then a homage like this would tick that box much better than the Tudor gmt imho.

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I’m still committed to trying one of these for size when I see one, but I rather fear that the thickness will put me off.

How does it compare to the standard Black Bay diver? This was a bit of a slab when I tried it on, but just about ok.

Something tells me I’ll just be sticking with the 16710.
    Same thickness I believe

Craftsman
    I’m not . Just pointing out that the “unable to stretch” suggestion had flaws 🤣. The new BLRO Rolex is very nice but it’s SO different from the Tudor that I can’t see how you think one is a replacement for the other.

If I wanted a Rolex but couldn’t afford one then a homage like this would tick that box much better than the Tudor gmt imho.
    That is a rather blatant “homage”!

Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    That is a rather blatant “homage”!
    Absolutely

Absolutely
    Although quite a bit larger at 42mm. It’s also ably thicker and wears completely differently.

Craftsman
    At least Tudor have given it a vintage appearance to differentiate from the Rolex.

I really like the look of the Tudor. I’ve read it’s very slightly thinner than the black bay divers but doubt noticeably. Having tried some on recently they are quite a slab, which is the only negative imo.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Beckham was wearing the GMT in Tudors latest IG photos, that will bring some more interest as well.

Went into my AD today to see if he had heard anything - seems all centralized enquiries from this chain from all branches are dealt with in chronological order. I pressed him on this....asking “so if 100 people went into your Croydon branch within 5 minutes of the watch being announced at Basel, then they would be the first 100 people on your company’s list? And therefore the first 100 gmt that you get would all go to that branch?!”

His reply was to shrug and mutter “I guess so”.

How do these companies stay in business seriously. Total shambles. Made him email his head office there and then - was worth the trip - I wanted a caramel frappacino anyway

Went into my AD today to see if he had heard anything - seems all centralized enquiries from this chain from all branches are dealt with in chronological order. I pressed him on this....asking “so if 100 people went into your Croydon branch within 5 minutes of the watch being announced at Basel, then they would be the first 100 people on your company’s list? And therefore the first 100 gmt that you get would all go to that branch?!”

His reply was to shrug and mutter “I guess so”.

How do these companies stay in business seriously. Total shambles. Made him email his head office there and then - was worth the trip - I wanted a caramel frappacino anyway
    Because the watch is only one of a large range of products that they sell. Also, the vast majority of customers will go in to the store and happily buy something in stock whilst remaining blissfully unaware of the Tudor GMT.

Does anyone know if the standard natos that came with the black bays will fit the gmt? Thinking with the fixed spring bar locations on the straps the springbar holes on the lugs would have to be in the identical position to allow interchangeability

Master
    The Tudor disappointed me a little when I tried it the other night. It was to be expected as I'd heard it was the same dimensions as the standard Black Bay, and not the 58 (makes business sense as why would Rolex release the 58 size GMT which would out-sell the Rolex Pepsi GMT 10000000 fold), but it was just larger than "ideal".

Yes, on paper, they both have the same PR etc, and I like that the Tudor has 200M WR and an Aluminium bezel, but the hour plots looked small to me, and the blue of the bezel was more navy, and just not all that pleasing to the eye.

I have a <7" wrist and it just sits high and looks long on my wrist. That being said, if I get offered one at a price I can flip at, I'll probably still go for it to see if I really could get on with it. I don't see this in the same league as the Rolex GMT as it stands, and so it shouldn't be, but I've learnt from the past that trying out briefly vs owning is a very different thing, and makes you look at a watch very differently.

Here's a rough photo of how it wears vs. my Rolex GMT. The Rolex is 12mm tall + cyclops. The Tudor is 14.6mm tall.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    The Tudor disappointed me a little when I tried it the other night. It was to be expected as I'd heard it was the same dimensions as the standard Black Bay, and not the 58 (makes business sense as why would Rolex release the 58 size GMT which would out-sell the Rolex Pepsi GMT 10000000 fold), but it was just larger than "ideal".

Yes, on paper, they both have the same PR etc, and I like that the Tudor has 200M WR and an Aluminium bezel, but the hour plots looked small to me, and the blue of the bezel was more navy, and just not all that pleasing to the eye.

I have a <7" wrist and it just sits high and looks long on my wrist. That being said, if I get offered one at a price I can flip at, I'll probably still go for it to see if I really could get on with it. I don't see this in the same league as the Rolex GMT as it stands, and so it shouldn't be, but I've learnt from the past that trying out briefly vs owning is a very different thing, and makes you look at a watch very differently.

Here's a rough photo of how it wears vs. my Rolex GMT. The Rolex is 12mm tall + cyclops. The Tudor is 14.6mm tall.

In the short term (say a couple of months at least) you shouldn’t lose anything if buying at full retail, if you do it now. Ofc if you hold it a year that would alter things but trial for a month shouldn’t see a loss I don’t think.

Master
    In the short term (say a couple of months at least) you shouldn’t lose anything if buying at full retail, if you do it now. Ofc if you hold it a year that would alter things but trial for a month shouldn’t see a loss I don’t think.
    Haven't had anything at all from either dealer I'm on the list of. Apparently "these are everywhere" but certainly not in my case :-) The longer it takes, the less likely I can buy at RRP and flip if that was the case. Hopefully I'll like it enough to keep it, but if not, at least someone on here would have the chance to own without any waiting list etc.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Haven't had anything at all from either dealer I'm on the list of. Apparently "these are everywhere" but certainly not in my case :-) The longer it takes, the less likely I can buy at RRP and flip if that was the case. Hopefully I'll like it enough to keep it, but if not, at least someone on here would have the chance to own without any waiting list etc.
    Yeah no call here yet either. AF told me I was first on his list but they send all request to their head office and it’s chronological - so in theory the first 100 watches Goldsmiths get could all go to the same branch on that basis. Rather strange system tbh.

Master
    Yeah no call here yet either. AF told me I was first on his list but they send all request to their head office and it’s chronological - so in theory the first 100 watches Goldsmiths get could all go to the same branch on that basis. Rather strange system tbh.
    It's all such BS. In their opinion it's all "fair" but then they wouldn't have flagship stores receiving great quantities of this and that etc. I can wait, no rush; will make a full decision on the day.

If anyone is in the Thurrock area and fancies trying a GMT for size Emson Haig in Lakeside has one on display for "demo" purposes only i.e. it's not for sale but purely there for people to try before committing to a purchase. I had to give it a try and thought it lovely, I didn't wear it back to back with a regular BB however, from memory (I've tried various other BBs before) I thought it less slab-like than non-GMT models.

They also had the new blue dialed BB36 on display as well.
    Last edited by CardShark; 26th June 2018 at 08:06.

Master

True value of Tudor GMT on secondary market

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    They also had the new blue dialed BB36 on display as well.
    Those new blue BB36 are lovely. Far more subtle than the marketing pics would suggest. If only Tudor had either matched the crown tube to the dial or made it brushed/polished metal then I would have bought one on the spot a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by lughugger; 26th June 2018 at 14:41.

Craftsman
    I really quite liked the look of these when I first so the releases/photos but the more I see of "wrist shots" the less they appeal.

I think I'd struggle to not simply want a classic style Rolex with alu bezel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    I really quite liked the look of these when I first so the releases/photos but the more I see of "wrist shots" the less they appeal.

I think I'd struggle to not simply want a classic style Rolex with alu bezel.
    Very nice watches are the Rolex Pepsi GMT but surely they are nearly 3 x’s the retail price?
    That’s why Tudor are providing the value proposition . A lot of young upwardly mobile chaps don’t have that sort of cash £1 for £1 Rolex have dramatically upscaled their pricing. So you can have cheapest in the range imho pedestrian Rolex at £4100 or an actual well built in-house Steel sports for £2800.
    It’s going to find an audience I reckon. It might have have a bit of lift as well