closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tried to buy a watch today. Failed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    I guess we are forgetting that the generic name for shop that sells watches is a 'Jewellers' and I guess that many of the useless assistants may be more knowledgeable and interested in Jewellery rather than watches - though as I've never bought a piece of Jewellery in my life, I'm just guessing that's so!
    Fair point.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    My only story that I can add is I know a group of brothers multi millionaires and the youngest was coming up to their 21st birthday so they popped into a Ferrari dealership where the older ones had bought in the past, now picture 3 rough looking typed in dirty overalls walking in with mud all over them and their boots, now the story goes that all the sales people scattered and they were ignored for a couple of minutes which they were never used to and were ready to walk out when the manager arrived back from lunch who had dealt with them before and you guess the rest the carrier bag was dumped on the managers table and the deal made with cash, you can’t go on looks alone is all I can say
    If they like dealing in such large amounts of readily available cash I guess I know how they became multi millionaires...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    My only story that I can add is I know a group of brothers multi millionaires and the youngest was coming up to their 21st birthday so they popped into a Ferrari dealership where the older ones had bought in the past, now picture 3 rough looking typed in dirty overalls walking in with mud all over them and their boots, now the story goes that all the sales people scattered and they were ignored for a couple of minutes which they were never used to and were ready to walk out when the manager arrived back from lunch who had dealt with them before and you guess the rest the carrier bag was dumped on the managers table and the deal made with cash, you can’t go on looks alone is all I can say
    Corleone?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    If they like dealing in such large amounts of readily available cash I guess I know how they became multi millionaires...
    Dry cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The target market seem to be viewers of 'love island' and 'TOWIE', intelligent staff are not required.
    Thanks for reminding me. I've got 3 episodes of Love Island on catch up to watch tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    A little bit of a trip for you, but Pragnell's in Stratford upon Avon always get it right and have lots of fantastic brands to browse.
    The worst watch buying experience of my life was at Pragnells, made Goldsmiths look like absolute saints!

Quote Originally Posted by melhick View Post
    The worst watch buying experience of my life was at Pragnells, made Goldsmiths look like absolute saints!
    Really? Is be very interested to hear about it by pm....

Craftsman
    I’ve had the same service in that shop. Is it just Reading Goldsmiths?
    Last edited by Dandandanman; 8th June 2018 at 20:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I had a fun experience in the Goldsmiths in Southampton. I didn't have a huge pile of cash burning a hole in my pocket but while the wife was shopping I meandered in to look at the (then) new Autavia reissue. They didn't have one. They had 3,000,000 coming in, would I like to go on the list etc. No thanks. Do you want to have a look at anything else? I try on a blue Pelagos. I can hear the bloke behind me knows what he's talking about while the salesman talks complete nonsense. My salesman then tells me Tudors are so hot they immediately go up by at least £500 as soon as you leave the shop. I was tempted to get him to underwrite that claim but couldn't be bothered, he was an arse. As I left a third customer had appeared, who also knew what he was talking about and was also being served by a salesman talking codswallop. I really don't think we're their target.
    I notice they are selling Hublot in there now too.
    A real investment/appreciation brand apparently! Not sure who pays full list or makes over come resell on a Hublot?

Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post
    I’ve had the same service in that shop. Is it just Reading Goldsmiths?
    They supplied a Hulk to me last April - couldn't have had a more different experience. The whole transaction was superb - offering me a hefty reduction on a Pelagos too.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sunaxi View Post
    Obviously if anyone wants to recommend a good/friendly AD (Rolex or Omega) I'm prepared to travel.
    Fraser Hart in Milton Keynes for Rolex. Of course I'm not saying they'll have what you want or can get it. But I found they had the right attitude.

The following is my Google review.

I recently made a purchase at this store, and I have to say the service was impeccable. Daniel the store manager, gave me as much time as I wanted to come to the decision on which watch I would buy. No rush, no pressure, just as it should be. Today I called in the store again, just to browse and see what I liked. I had a brief chat with Daniel, he remembered my name. That made me feel like a valued customer. Would highly recommended this store if you want excellent customer service.

Craftsman
    Is the Fraser Hart in Newbury no good?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    I've never been there, the Milton Keynes store is only 20 mins away from me.

Craftsman
    OP is in Thatcham so I wondered why travel to Reading . I'm local as well and although I haven't bought from FH in Newbury they did drag me in when I was looking at the Oris Aquis through the window , let me try it on etc and bought a few more watches in , tried to upsell me the ceramic Omega PO chronograph as I had my stainless base model on, seemed very nice and certainly attentive

Craftsman
    Tried on a few in Oxford goldsmiths in the new Westgate and found them very knowledgeable and helpful.

With regards to the salesmen being crap, do they not get paid extra for making actual sales? You'd think financials would get rid of the poor ones.

Craftsman
    FH in Newbury is not a rolex AD.

Master
    Went into Fraser Hart Peterborough yesterday. They are losing their Rolex AD status at the end of July. Might be some deals to be had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    To be fair, you possibly shouldn’t be blaming the sales staff. In my view, it’s the fault of the retailer. They’re employing inexperienced young staff on minimum wages, working unsocial hours and giving them no training in sales or even the products they are selling. You can’t blame the youngsters for having little interest.
    Maybe if working for min wage and shift work at McDonald’s I would agree, but working a Saturday can’t really be classed as that unsociable these days.

Yes the training is most likely shocking but what training do you need to be pleasant, if you don’t know the answer to a question the response is “sorry I don’t know but I’ll find out for you” no training is needed for that, the company is at fault for hiring these people but that doesn’t take away from the fact some people are just in the wrong job.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post
    FH in Newbury is not a rolex AD.
    He wasn't just after Rolex

Apprentice
    I don't think they liked you. Why do you whine on a watch forum about the fact that your feelings were hurt? Take it up with management if you have a beef. Call Rolex and Omega and complain. What do you expect from a watch forum, some sort of sympathy? Nobody here can rectify the problem, just complain themselves. Whenever someone rants about some shopping experience it's only one side of the story. For all I know, you may be a complete tosspot to people and they just wanted to get rid of you. Having been in quite few jewelers over the years, it never ceases to amaze me how rude a lot of the customers are. Seasoned salespeople can often suss out a customer in a very short period of time. They clearly don't care if you go somewhere else, so I suggest you do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I don't think they liked you. Why do you whine on a watch forum about the fact that your feelings were hurt? Take it up with management if you have a beef. Call Rolex and Omega and complain. What do you expect from a watch forum, some sort of sympathy? Nobody here can rectify the problem, just complain themselves. Whenever someone rants about some shopping experience it's only one side of the story. For all I know, you may be a complete tosspot to people and they just wanted to get rid of you. Having been in quite few jewelers over the years, it never ceases to amaze me how rude a lot of the customers are. Seasoned salespeople can often suss out a customer in a very short period of time. They clearly don't care if you go somewhere else, so I suggest you do so.
    I don’t think I like you.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Poorly trained people on near minimum wage not watch experts shocker!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Absolutely spot on! They clearly didn't like me and I can be, at times, a complete tosspot. But never when shopping. It's a long time ago now, but I've been on the other side of that fence and appreciate how unpleasant the job can be. I always try to be as nice as possible to to sales and restaurant staff. To do anything else is madness and self defeating.

As a side note, it takes more than not being able to buy a watch I want to hurt my feelings. Thankfully my life has been far more rich, interesting and painful than that.

I was in my "very casuals" but this in the past never stopped that particular store from relieving me of an awful lot of money for non-watch related items and as I said previously, until they moved sites I was regularly invited to spend money at their special events.

I don't want or need sympathy. I possibly needed to vent a little to people who would understand, which is what I thought this place is. A support forum for watch enthusiasts.

The recommendation of other ADs, both in this thread and by PM has been very much appreciated and I will try to visit and spend some money with them when I'm near by. I've had some dealings with the Fraser Hart in Newbury. Nothing bad, but then again nothing that would make me want to go back there again to buy a watch. Come this autumn though, if they can do me that new Seamaster at a good price then it is nice and local.

Journeyman
    I rang up Goldsmiths Nottingham yesterday, the lady on the phone diligently took my number and promised a call back, yup not heard a peep!!

Scottie

Journeyman
    I popped into the Newbury Fraser Hart today as I was passing by, to ask about the new Seamasters. A more different shopping experience you couldn't imagine.

Three very helpful and interested members of staff, one of whom had photos of the new models on her phone that she'd taken when she saw them. They said they'd been talking to the Omega rep yesterday, were hoping to get the first watches in around Septemberish, took my name and number and added an event in their calendar to call me about them.

We then had a nice chat about a few other watch related things, including how bad Breitling had become with their need to do a full service before they'd even look at a watch. In other news, they also sell Breitlings.

My faith was somewhat restored. I wonder if it is just a Rolex AD thing and a response to zero stock in the face of a wanting crowd?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sunaxi View Post
    I popped into the Newbury Fraser Hart today as I was passing by, to ask about the new Seamasters. A more different shopping experience you couldn't imagine.

Three very helpful and interested members of staff, one of whom had photos of the new models on her phone that she'd taken when she saw them. They said they'd been talking to the Omega rep yesterday, were hoping to get the first watches in around Septemberish, took my name and number and added an event in their calendar to call me about them.

We then had a nice chat about a few other watch related things, including how bad Breitling had become with their need to do a full service before they'd even look at a watch. In other news, they also sell Breitlings.

My faith was somewhat restored. I wonder if it is just a Rolex AD thing and a response to zero stock in the face of a wanting crowd?
    That's encouraging , I went past there today as I fancy a Speedy for my birthday in August but not sure they will be worth the £750 premium over the grey market

Journeyman
    That's encouraging , I went past there today as I fancy a Speedy for my birthday in August but not sure they will be worth the £750 premium over the grey market
    In past dealings with them they've been prepared to knock a few hundred pounds off the price if you ask nicely and then a little bit more if you look undecided and consider walking away. I'm quite happy to pay a little bit more for the convenience, but draw the line when it approaches four figures.