closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1958 NEDU dive watch evaluations, Bulova, Blancpain, Enicar and Rolex in pdf form

1958 NEDU dive watch evaluations, Bulova, Blancpain, Enicar and Rolex in pdf form

1958 NEDU dive watch evaluations, Bulova, Blancpain, Enicar and Rolex in pdf form

‘The Rolex watch is found to be not sufficiently waterproof, bearing out reports from the field, and is recommended for deletion from the Navy’s approved list.’

They clearly preferred the Blancpain in most respects. Even the Rolex bezel and bracelet get a pasting. Is that what happened in service?

I don’t know where you find all these documents and adverts Bob but they are fascinating.
    Last edited by alfat33; 5th June 2018 at 14:55.

I wonder if this prompted Rolex to design fliplock clasp, to prevent the accidental opening described in the document and also changing bezel design.
    Last edited by Exiztence; 5th June 2018 at 16:10.

Interesting but it fails to mention which Rolex Model was tested. The 5512 was not released until 1960? So I assume it was the 5508 (only rated to 100m), but it might have been an early 6538 rated to 200m.

One thing for certain is that I would never trust my old 54 Blancpain FF to 30 feet, let alone 300 feet.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Interesting but it fails to mention which Rolex Model was tested. The 5512 was not released until 1960? So I assume it was the 5508 (only rated to 100m), but it might have been an early 6538 rated to 200m.

One thing for certain is that I would never trust my old 54 Blancpain FF to 30 feet, let alone 300 feet.
    It's at the very end that it was 6538

Think about when it was new Andy, cutting edge! And the Seapearl 600? This will make people look for these certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    It's at the very end that it was 6538
    Well darn, it was good enough for OO7.…

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Well darn, it was good enough for OO7.…
    But not for real life! 😃

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    ‘The Rolex watch is found to be not sufficiently waterproof, bearing out reports from the field, and is recommended for deletion from the Navy’s approved list.’

They clearly preferred the Blancpain in most respects. Even the Rolex bezel and bracelet get a pasting. Is that what happened in service?

I don’t know where you find all these documents and adverts Bob but they are fascinating.

Thanks mate, glad you like!
    I could tell you where I find 'em, but I'd have to kill you and I can't be bothered with the paperwork...

😉

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Think about when it was new Andy, cutting edge! And the Seapearl 600? This will make people look for these certainly.
    I think they already are Bob

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323271529074

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F153049651908

Nice, but the one on test had no bezel ring!

This man did
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/vi...iving-in-depth

OP any connection with the article?
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 5th June 2018 at 21:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    This man did

A much later version than mine, however I believe the construction of the case and crown are very similar so fair play to him.

But personally I wouldn't with mine. Well I might if the original plexy and all the seals were replaced and I had a spare original dial and hand set (I have a spare movement ).

BP must have tested them to 300 ft hence the name, but then I am sure Rolex would have tested their watches as well.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    This man did

Sorry not clicking the link. I never read Hoodwinkee since they started selling shite to hipsters.😈

Okay, I just had to check the Hodinkee link.
    I can't believe that article was published yesterday, and today I was searching for military manuals on archive.org and came across an index reference to the Bulova test:

https://archive.org/stream/NavyExper...va+wrist+watch

In the index report was a mention of the National Technical Information Service, where-after much faffing around- I eventually uncovered the three pdf reports this afternoon.

Hodinkee have got a few things wrong (as usual) like the prices of the Rolex ($90 not 95) and the Enicar ($25 not 37.50) and the Blancpain was 50 cents less.
    H also says only the Blancpain passed but the Enicar passed too, and was recommended for use.
    Not the only things the article get wrong either, have fun spotting them.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Sorry not clicking the link. I never read Hoodwinkee since they started selling shite to hipsters.
    I will take that as a no then!
    :-)