closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coffee espresso moka pot advice please

Blog Entries
    In fact the low heat/vapour helps the water to rise slow from below. This way the time of contact coffee/water is slightly longer, which supposedly gives a better brew.

I do it on the normal flame because - am afraid - cannot be bothered. Others say you should only use coffee toasted in Naples and water from the Vomero (one of the hilly quarters of Naples). Yeah, yeah.

F

I've always preheated the water in a kettle and then started off on high heat before turning down to medium before the extraction begins. I find the Alessi is a lot quicker than my Bialetti, probably due to its larger base diameter.

Master
    So what is the equivalent size with these to an Aeropress? I normally make what is a large espresso with mine and top it up with hot water to make an expresso. I don’t normally need to make anything more than my own mug worth.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    So what is the equivalent size with these to an Aeropress? I normally make what is a large espresso with mine and top it up with hot water to make an expresso. I don’t normally need to make anything more than my own mug worth.
    Best go by the amount of coffee you use. For my 6-cup Bialetti and Alessi I grind 26½ g of beans.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Best go by the amount of coffee you use. For my 6-cup Bialetti and Alessi I grind 26½ g of beans.
    An aeropress scoop of beans what ever that weighs :-)

My six cup makes about 280ml.

BTW, how does topping up a large expresso with water make an expresso? Will be an Americano.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    My six cup makes about 280ml.

BTW, how does topping up a large expresso with water make an expresso? Will be an Americano.
    Typo doh. Yes Americano

An aeropress scoop of beans what ever that weighs :-)
    Link:

A single AeroPress scoop is equal to 2 tablespoons or about 17 grams. Measuring coffee by volume will be less precise than by weight. The article Why You Should Use a Scale to Brew Coffee makes a good case for tossing your scoop and grabbing the scale.

For other options, see aeropress scoop weight of beans.

An excellent piece of kit, nicely designed and engineered.

Spent 10 minutes working out how to open it but far better system than the screw ones I've had in the past.

When mine arrived the funnel was stuck to the gasket making it seemingly impossible to open (the funnel was trying to come off with the top half and fouled on the lower half). Once I'd used a pointed knife to release the funnel all was fine...and it hasn't happened since. That's one reason that I don't lock down the top between uses. The other is to let the internals dry out properly.

We use a stainless steel 10 cup Bialetti on induction hob. Takes minutes to make a lovely Aldi Columbian coffee for breakfast.
    Just rinse it, never wash it.
    My mate has just bought a coffee machine, all singing & dancing fancy thing and what a faff! Coffee isn't as nice as ours either 😆

I'm liking that Aldi Columbian coffee as well Rod.

I've just graduated onto the Alessi 10 cup . Already had a bialetti for a few years which was good but feel the Alessi is a step up in terms of quality and flavour. Saying that, the bialetti is near bulletproof so we'll keep it for camping trips or back up.

I generally use Lavazzi ground which I find is a good all rounder but always on the lookout for any other recommendations

Slightly off topic but looking at the Alessi website I see a Neapolitan coffee maker (not cheap!). Had to Google this but has anyone got one (of any make) and how does the coffee compare?

https://www.alessi.com/gb_en/product...018-90018.html
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 23rd July 2018 at 20:42.

Blog Entries
    The neapolitan coffee done with this type of machines, is very fragrant but more diluted than with the moka machine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7WG8ziQATQw

Here the water is let to boil on one side, then the machine is turned upside down and by gravity the coffee is percolated into the lower container.

Very few use this, depending on the region.

Thanks Franco!

In principle looks similar to filter coffee with difference depending on grind/concentration?

Great to hear about espresso from an italian!

Does anyone here use an ibrik for simple brewing? Looking for simple tips
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

When mine arrived the funnel was stuck to the gasket making it seemingly impossible to open (the funnel was trying to come off with the top half and fouled on the lower half). Once I'd used a pointed knife to release the funnel all was fine...and it hasn't happened since. That's one reason that I don't lock down the top between uses. The other is to let the internals dry out properly.
    Mine arrived yesterday and I had exactly the same issue.
    Shame, as I was showing my wife how to open it at the time, so she already thinks it is more agro than it is worth (she is NOT a coffee drinker, but does make mine for me - edit, that should probably say used to make mine for me!).

Blog Entries
    Thanks Franco!

In principle looks similar to filter coffee with difference depending on grind/concentration?
    Yes, I think you are supposed to grind the beans it slightly coarser. Interestingly, when coffee started to be widely brewed in Europe (end of 17th century), this type of machine was first used in Paris.

Very soon after adopted in Venice and then Naples, where it was given the name "cuccumella", i.e. small "cuccuma", from the latin "cucuma", meaning jug.

6 cup arrived yesterday...and I've used it twice. Very impressed that the seal works straight away as every new Bialetti seals I've had took about three uses to bed in properly. It's easier to use too and produces the coffee in a shorter time, IMO...but I haven't timed it. The coffee and water quantities I was using with my 6 cup Bialetti transferred across to the Alessi, but I'm going to try a slightly finer grind the next time I use it.

And the 10 cup arrived today. Well done Amazon.it who simply stuck a label on the box and sent it (undented and not ripped or torn) through their delivery chain. With Amazon.co.uk I'm pretty sure that I'd have had another load of cardboard to recycle.
    For anyone that is interested, Amazon.it prices are:

Alessi 9090/10 (MAGNUM) EUR 119,27
    Alessi 9090/6 EUR 105,00
    Alessi 9090/3 EUR 106,25

Shipping is quite reasonable, the cheapest being around €6...and until midnight today (I presume that's CET, ie 23h00 GMT) the code GRAZIE1000 should get you €10 off most things worth over €50.

Lucky enough to recieve an Alessi 9090 for Christmas.......very impressed so far, much better than my Aeropress. I'm using Lavazza Quality Oro and very please so far.

I note in a comment above that the reducer is a 'false bottom'.....I've been using it as a false top! Should I be putting that in first before the coffee??

Any other tips on getting the best out of my new toy?