closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warming to the Datejust??

Here are some images of my 2005 DJ including a 'before and after a trip to RSC' on its 10 year birthday.

I agree with others that the sportier blue dial suits the oyster. But the touch of bling WG bezel goes under the radar. It is also great fun with the reflection patterns you can make on the office roof when sat in tedious meetings.
    And I was in my late 30's so don't particularly consider this an old man's watch. Mature and sensible maybe, but not old.
    There must be a reason this is the best selling Rolex model.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by You Only Live Twice; 1st July 2018 at 19:57.

Perhaps it’s worth getting prices for both bracelets from RSC. If either us cheaper, buy the watch with the pricier one and look at buying the other at a later time. You’ll then have the best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post

Does the jubilee stack up as a sports bracelet, or is it more of a dress bracelet? In my limited experience it feels dressy.

Does the jubilee do casual ok or is oyster more versatile in this respect?
    I consider the jubilee to be a fussy dress bracelet which is why my wife's Rolex is on one.

The oyster is more a sports bracelet and therefore more versatile as a casual/flying under the radar sort of bracelet. IMO of course

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Perhaps it’s worth getting prices for both bracelets from RSC. If either us cheaper, buy the watch with the pricier one and look at buying the other at a later time. You’ll then have the best of both worlds!
    Might just do this. The rrp of the full watch is only £50 difference (jubilee is more) which suggests about the same, but you never know.

I would expect a full bracelet to be between £1000 and £1500 though, so I’d prefer to get it right first time.

Always an option though.

Master
    Fluted bezel and oyster bracelet for me - jubilee and fluted bezel is too much.
    Personally love the blue dial too

I had a sporty blue dial DateJust with oyster and smooth bezel and just couldn’t get on with it. On the wrist I didn’t find the bracelet comfortable, and the watch as a whole felt unbalanced, like the watch head was a bit bulbous.

I also has a dressy silver dial DateJust with jubilee and fluted bezel which felt just right on the wrist. It was definitely not a sporty or casual looking watch though. I don’t think a blue dial on that watch would have looked any less dressy tbh. Blue dial and fluted bezel looks confused IMO, whatever bracelet.

If I wanted another blue dial I’d consider jubilee bracelet and smooth bezel, which I think looks sporty but also keeps the better bracelet.

Craftsman
    Just been sat drinking a g&t thinking after all the build up, it would be courteous to post a pic of my final choice once I have it.

I remember it being a right faff posting photos on forums. The last time I did was about 4 yrs ago I think. Just been scanning some of the sticky threads on the subject ..... and it still seems a right faff!!

Has technology moved on sufficiently so i can just take a picture on my iPhone and paste/ attach it to a post?? If there is a method as simple as this, I realise I’m being a bit lazy perhaps in not looking harder, but please could someone direct me to some instructions of the simplest method???

I don’t want to do any fancy photography or store in separate apps etc, just a quick way of attaching an iphone pic would be just great.

Craftsman
    Just been sat drinking a g&t thinking after all the build up, it would be courteous to post a pic of my final choice once I have it.

I remember it being a right faff posting photos on forums. The last time I did was about 4 yrs ago I think. Just been scanning some of the sticky threads on the subject ..... and it still seems a right faff!!

Has technology moved on sufficiently so i can just take a picture on my iPhone and paste/ attach it to a post?? If there is a method as simple as this, I realise I’m being a bit lazy perhaps in not looking harder, but please could someone direct me to some instructions of the simplest method???

I don’t want to do any fancy photography or store in separate apps etc, just a quick way of attaching an iphone pic would be just great.
    Easiest way is to use the Tapatalk app.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    I had a sporty blue dial DateJust with oyster and smooth bezel and just couldn’t get on with it. On the wrist I didn’t find the bracelet comfortable, and the watch as a whole felt unbalanced, like the watch head was a bit bulbous.

I also has a dressy silver dial DateJust with jubilee and fluted bezel which felt just right on the wrist. It was definitely not a sporty or casual looking watch though. I don’t think a blue dial on that watch would have looked any less dressy tbh. Blue dial and fluted bezel looks confused IMO, whatever bracelet.

If I wanted another blue dial I’d consider jubilee bracelet and smooth bezel, which I think looks sporty but also keeps the better bracelet.
    I think it’s the smooth bezel that gives the slightly bulbous appearance. I’ve held both bezel models side by side and they are obviously the same size, but the smooth bezel appears wider and taller to me visually.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
    Isn’t it just so you’ve a reference point for the lumed hands?

Ah, OK. I understand that functionality - cheers!

// But I'd still rather it was a number marker, since I don't often find myself upside down in the dark :)

I’ve got to say that the watch is stunning on both however the Jubilee feels “right” on the DJ to me

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Ok tapatalk downloaded. Testing out with a pic I’ve been pondering over for quite some time. Obviously, it’s the two on the right I’m having difficulty choosing from.

Hope it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    But isn't it a testimony to great design(s) that any combination is beauty in the eyes of the beholder?

Journeyman
    Personally the only one I don’t like out of the four is the fluted and jubilee looks to much together.
    My choice was going to be plain and oyster but quite like the look of the plain and jubilee now :)

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdude View Post
    I agree with Belligero. Jubilee plus fluted bezel is quite busy and certainly too busy on my wrist having compared a lot of combinations lately. I think the oyster bracelet works well with fluted or smooth bezel.
    Indeed.

With the Jubilee in place on the Datejust, I'll usually end up switching watches well before the end of the day. Though there's nothing wrong with the look and I do like having the bracelet around to mix things up on the Daytona and GMTs, it's just not nearly as much my style for daily wear.

But when the Oyster bracelet is fitted, I find that its simplicity enhances the understated genius of the classic case design, while the visual effect of the bezel's facets still keeps things interesting in a way that's impossible to capture in a still image. I find that it's a brilliant combination in real life, and it'll often stay on the wrist for a solid week over the sports models because of its subtle charm.

Hmm, so far (perhaps unsurprisingly) the variety of comments reflects my own deliberations pretty accurately.

I know the jubilee is the classic bracelet and I want to like it. I have my subc on brushed oyster and I like my watches to be reasonably different, so jubilee would set it further apart from the subc.

However, actually on the wrist, I find myself agreeing with latter comments, swaying back towards the oyster, perhaps from familiarity...

What’s the thoughts on:

Does the jubilee stack up as a sports bracelet, or is it more of a dress bracelet? In my limited experience it feels dressy.

Does the jubilee do casual ok or is oyster more versatile in this respect?
    A Submariner and a Datejust are different enough already that I wouldn't feel the need to have a completely different bracelet design just for the sake of further variation. Variety is overrated anyway, whereas the merits of finding a style that works and sticking with it aren't heard nearly as often on a watch forum, with its inherent biases toward recency and novelty.

While the Jubilee is closely associated with the Datejust model for good reason, the Oyster is the classic Rolex bracelet and is equally suited to the model. The Jubilee is great as a casual bracelet (and it's probably underappreciated how well it can pair with a combination like chambray and high-grade denim), and the Oyster pairs up flawlessly with business attire, so you're getting one of the most versatile watches ever made either way. It's true that the Jubilee looks "dressier" — or fancier, at least — as far as a steel bracelet for a sporty and very robust watch goes, but I feel that there's already enough going on with the sunburst dial and white-gold bezel that the extra bling of the busier bracelet can detract from the whole package in real life.

They're both great options, mind — there's no wrong choice here. Regardless of bracelet, a steel Datejust is arguably the best watch there is for the beach-to-boardroom cliché, and I'd be perfectly content with either as my single lifelong watch, as many owners undoubtedly are.

But between the two, I'd go with my gut and choose the Oyster bracelet. :)

Craftsman
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but things have developed and I’ve reserved a blue dialled dj 41 fluted bezel at my AD.

It was on an oyster bracelet and they have got a jubilee in for me to compare and choose. They are happy to swap over and provide my bracelet of choice.

Which leads to my current “dilemma”. First time trying, I liked the jubilee. Second time, the jubilee/ fluted bezel combination seemed really fussy to me and I found myself preferring the cleaner look of the oyster, with the fluted bezel providing just a subtle touch of bling.

I know ultimately I have to go with what I prefer and I hope another try of both will allow me to reach a decision.

However, any comments/ guidance welcome. A few factors running through my mind:

I definitely prefer the fluted bezel over the smooth so don’t want to vary from this.

I definetely want the blue dial.

I definetely don’t want two tone. (Too much on the bling for me personally again)

It will be worn with a suit in the office, so the more dressy jubilee would suit.

Outside work I dress mainly casual so also want versatility. Not sure the jubilee is as versatile as oyster?

The negative aspect of the oyster is the ease of picking up scratches on the pcl’s although this is not sufficient reason on its own for me to dismiss it.

In pictures I like the jubilee. On my own wrist, oyster felt “more me” on last try.

Of all the above, I think my main priority is to be vesatile enough to wear casual as well as smart. Not sure the jubilee is as versatile?

As above, hope another try will swing it one way or another for me but comments most welcome.
    Same as I ordered in 1997. Back then it had to be ordered from Rolex themselves as it was a rare combination-a DateJust with blue dial, baton markers, WG fluted bezel and Oyster bracelet.

I still get offered good money for it these days as it's such a rare combination and it still can cover all the bases. Smart enough to wear with a tux, casual enough with the bracelet to wear with a polo shirt and jeans and understated enough to wear to work every day and not draw too much attention when you don't want it.

The perfect watch.

Outsider looking in:-
    Read all the comments and your preferences. From the four watches you have posted in one image.
    My choice would be
    No1
    Or
    No3

But that's just it, my choice.
    At the end of the day, it's going to live on Your wrist, no one else's. so the one that makes you smile just looking at it, that's the one.

Craftsman
    Just by way of an update for those that have followed the thread and/ or commented, I went for this version....

Looking good in the morning sun!

I ended up going for the oyster for many of the reasons already mentioned. Tried on both again but the jubilee felt too dressy to me, given that I want maximum versatility.

That said, even on the oyster, wearing “in real life”, it does feel quite dressy and shiny with the combination of fluted bezel and pcl’s on the bracelet. Really nice though. With only a little wear, I can see why it is the watch of choice for many “one watch” people.

Also comes with the new Rolex bracelet creak which I am sure will pass within a few months.

Perfect choice; that’s definitely the watch to have.

Looks fantastic!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Perfect choice; that’s definitely the watch to have.

Looks fantastic!
    Thanks. Your previous comments about not being driven by seeking too much variety helped me rationalise the decision!

You are right that the dj is quite different to the sub even both on oyster.

I do like the jubilee though. It was a close run thing and I could see myself picking one up at some point in the future. I’ve made the right decision for now though.

Master
    A watch that looks elegant and unobtrusive but still has the full range of Rolex attributes. For me, best all-round choice in the entire Rolex catalogue. And cheapest way into the new movement too.
    Prefer the Jubilee bracelet though, it somehow belongs with the DJ, and it's more comfortable than the Oyster, on my wrist anyway.
    So three things to decide, which bracelet, which bezel and which dial colour. Not so keen on the two-tone.
    Last edited by paskinner; 4th July 2018 at 22:16.

Ha, glad to hear you found it to be of use!

I get the appeal of the Jubilee too, but I think you would have regretted it eventually — particularly as a non-retiree. When I'm wearing something on that bracelet, it's usually not long before the novelty wears off and I get the urge to switch back to the Oyster option. :)

Apprentice

Love mine

Thought the fluted bezel was too blingy and the oyster was too sporty so went for this combo.

Master
    I like that combination too; as you say, a bit less bling while keeping the lovely Jubilee. At the moment I have the gold bezel with the jubilee and in the sunshine it really catches the light. But, overall, I think I prefer the smooth bezel, and it's quite a bit less expensive.
    As for this nonsense about the Jubilee just being for 'retirees'..says who? It's comic how people decide that their own views are somehow transferable to everyone else.
    Last edited by paskinner; 5th July 2018 at 10:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Ped22 View Post
    Love mine

Thought the fluted bezel was too blingy and the oyster was too sporty so went for this combo.
    That’s also a great combo; the more-intricate bracelet complements the simpler bezel very well.

Just goes to show that there really is no wrong choice for a steel DJ. :)

Grand Master

Just goes to show that there really is no wrong choice for a steel DJ. :)
    +1.......I`ve always preferred the fluted bezel/Jubilee together, and the smooth bezel/Oyster; I think that's still true for the older models, but on the post-2006 versions all combinations work well.

Still prefer the 36mm to the larger ones, the design just looks more balanced to me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ped22 View Post

Love mine

Hmm I like this combination too.... damn it!!

Also just noticed yours displays virtually the same time as mine 😀

Personally for me a DJ has to have a fluted and on a Jubilee

Picking mine up in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Personally for me a DJ has to have a fluted and on a Jubilee

Picking mine up in a couple of weeks.
    NICE

Pictures please

Master

Warming to the Datejust??

A few DJ pics I took over the last few weeks as I have been looking for the perfect model. Think I like the black dial, smooth bezel on oyster (36mm) the most combination (see last pic - the first pic is 34mm). I also like the fluted/oyster. The fluted/jubilee combination just didn’t look right on my wrist.

Last edited by Watchdude; 6th July 2018 at 22:55.

Blog Entries
    Ha, glad to hear you found it to be of use!

I get the appeal of the Jubilee too, but I think you would have regretted it eventually — particularly as a non-retiree. When I'm wearing something on that bracelet, it's usually not long before the novelty wears off and I get the urge to switch back to the Oyster option. :)
    He he......one day it will happen...........

ook

I am patiently waiting for an all Oystersteel 36mm Datejust, smooth bezel, blue or rodhium dial-over jubilee bracelet with the new 32xx generation movement and 70 hours power reserve...

The 36 mm DJ is getting overdue for the new movement, so I don’t think you’ll have to wait too much longer.

On the other hand, the 3135 is still way ahead of what the rest of the industry is producing, so it’s not exactly slumming it to go with the current model. :)

The caliber 3131 in my Milgauss is fantastic. Robust, reliable and very accurate, running at +1.5 secs a day. Only aspect of it that is lacking is in the power reserve department....50 hours vs 70 hours in the 32xx movements.
    Last edited by Lostintime; 14th July 2018 at 23:43.

Master
    I've always loved the humble DJ and have had two over the years. Would plumb for this model now:

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    I've always loved the humble DJ and have had two over the years. Would plumb for this model now:

Good looking classic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Good looking classic.
    Yep, the only snag is that it's over $10,000 Aus dollars errr maybe not this year

https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...6234-0080.html
    Last edited by stix; 15th July 2018 at 15:26.

True that it’s quite costly (though worth it) when bought brand-new, but the Datejust is arguably the best buy there is on the secondary market for a high-grade watch, especially considering that it’s barely different than its sportier-looking counterparts which have gone nuts in pricing during the past few years.

Just by way of an update for those that have followed the thread and/ or commented, I went for this version....

Looking good in the morning sun!

I ended up going for the oyster for many of the reasons already mentioned. Tried on both again but the jubilee felt too dressy to me, given that I want maximum versatility.

That said, even on the oyster, wearing “in real life”, it does feel quite dressy and shiny with the combination of fluted bezel and pcl’s on the bracelet. Really nice though. With only a little wear, I can see why it is the watch of choice for many “one watch” people.

Also comes with the new Rolex bracelet creak which I am sure will pass within a few months.

stunning watch. Is it the 41mm version? (and what size is your wrist ?)

Master
    Gents, I would like to suggest that this is probably the best looking watch Rolex currently offer. 41mm, rhodium dial, gold bezel, Jubilee bracelet.
    On the wrist, truly stunning. And, for me, the Jubilee bracelet is the key...it just completes the design.
    And I speak as someone who's just sold one. I still think it very handsome. Now, for me, the 40mm Day Date may beckon. Finances permitting. Big stretch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 16th July 2018 at 16:43.

Heres a few shots of my latest acquisition, the DJ41 rhodium dial.
    Picked up from Paskinner (Peter) only yesterday, its a beautiful watch that will definitely be staying in the collection.
    Ive included some pics with various other watches for comparison, including the wifes Datejust.

Last edited by davida; 17th July 2018 at 18:54.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    stunning watch. Is it the 41mm version? (and what size is your wrist ?)
    Just found this question after coming back to the thread with a bit further info.

To answer, yes it’s the 41mm, though seems more like 40mm (there seem to be a few discussions about this oddity on various forums). My wrist size is c 7in, but used all the links on the bracelet!!

Still loving the dj. A great all rounder!

After pondering excessively over which bracelet and settling on the oyster, I’m happy I’ve made the right choice, but still finding myself admiring the jubilee in pictures, to the point of considering buying it at some point as an extra option.

For info, I called rsc st James today and the full jubilee bracelet inc clasp, end links etc is £1150. The oyster, out of curiosity was £1100.

Thought i’d share the info as bracelet cost was discussed briefly at some point in the thread I think.

Craftsman
    I think it is easier to warm to datejust when you see the second hand prices. When did the hidden clasp jubilee and new case begin to ship?

I cannot get over how big they look in comparison to the Professional range which are designed to be large being a tool watch.

The DJ 41mm is certainly a huge improvement of the DJ2, personally I think the 36mm DJ is and always will be the perfect size due to it wearing larger than its size would suggest.

Last edited by boring_sandwich; 3rd August 2018 at 06:57.

Blog Entries
    Just found this question after coming back to the thread with a bit further info.

To answer, yes it’s the 41mm, though seems more like 40mm (there seem to be a few discussions about this oddity on various forums). My wrist size is c 7in, but used all the links on the bracelet!!

Still loving the dj. A great all rounder!

After pondering excessively over which bracelet and settling on the oyster, I’m happy I’ve made the right choice, but still finding myself admiring the jubilee in pictures, to the point of considering buying it at some point as an extra option.

For info, I called rsc st James today and the full jubilee bracelet inc clasp, end links etc is £1150. The oyster, out of curiosity was £1100.

Thought i’d share the info as bracelet cost was discussed briefly at some point in the thread I think.

OP. I just had fun reading through this thread and the one you chose looks perfect. Combined with the fluted bezel the jubilee would have been a bit too much for a ‘smart-casual’.

But hey, who am I to comment as someone who wears a TT rose gold YM as a casual watch.

Martyn.

Craftsman
    All those datejusts look lovely. Somehow elegant and sporty at the same time. Certainly something different against a sea of subs and GMTs.

OP made a great choice though - that was my favourite. I was trying to steer my wife to that exact same one, but she went with the 36mm fluted on Jubilee. I still 'test it' occasionally ;-)

Hope you enjoy yours in the years to come.

Craftsman
    In fact here it is, mid 'test'. Too small or not?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

Perfect size.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I'm told the average age of a Rolex buyer is around sixty; probably because older people often have spare money, with the kids grown-up.
    If you take something like a Datejust, the range is so vast that it's hard to generalise. Fluted bezels, smooth bezels, loads of dial finishes, two types of bracelet, two sizes, steel, two-tone and so on. Some look 'golf club' and some look quite sleek.
    Let's face it, wait long enough and everything becomes fashionable again. Except flaired trousers.
    How times change - I bought my first Rolex Cosmo chrono at age 25 ( people did wear flared trousers then ) and my first two tone datejust at 26.

B

Perfect size.
    Agreed. The 36mm is the one to go for in the current line up imo. Wish they'd hurry up and drop the new 3235 movement in the 116234.