closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warming to the Datejust??

Craftsman

Warming to the Datejust??

So i’ve just been in to my local goldsmiths to see if I could get much info about gmt supply/ waiting list - I couldn’t, other than they have only had one in so far...

Anyway, ended up trying on some datejusts as I spotted some blue dial ones in the window and I’m quite partial to a blue dial.

I’ve never really been a fan of the Datejust and they don’t get talked about much on here.

Tried on a few versions including smooth bezel and oyster bracelet.... quite a novelty to be able to do this when compared to sport models.

However, I really quite liked the white gold fluted bezel and ss jubilee bracelet combo with blue dial. Really quite versatile, dressier than the typical sports model and a lovely blue dial, but not too blingy. Didn’t seem like an “old mans watch” either which is a common criticism of the two tone versions etc and a view that I have shared tbh.

I could see that particular version sitting quite comfortably along side my sub date as an addition.

I concluded that I’m going to continue the waiting game for the gmt for a while yet, but I surprised myself that I was really quite drawn to this particular model.

Interestingly (though perhaps not surprising) they are actually allowed to order specific combinations of datejusts from Rolex rather than having to wait for the required one to arrive. They even are happy to swap jubilee/ oyster bracelet around in the shop, so there is no messing around. Worse case is waiting for it to arrive in their next delivery apparently!

How refreshing! Could be tempted in the near future.

So, am I going a bit mad, or is my taste just evolving?? I am slowly turning in to an old man after all😀
    Last edited by D4RW1N; 3rd June 2018 at 16:21.

I would love a new Pepsi gmt, but all the waiting around for something that may well never appear, to me anyway, has got me thinking maybe a DJ instead.
    With a significant birthday coming I would have liked a Pepsi engraved to suit, but maybe it will have to be a DJ instead.
    Only thing is I can’t decide between an everose bi metal or steel only, but it will have to be on a jubilee though.

Craftsman
    I agree with much of what you said in your piece. I was of the same view as you... an old man's watch.

The problem is, we're all getting older...

I think some of the DJ's/ OPerpetuals are very attractive.... something I wouldn't have even thought of many years ago.

I posted some images of a blue dial Datejust 41 (126300) on the jubilee thread before, so won't repeat it here, but it is a very versatile watch. I had always liked the look of the model, but the 36mm case was just too small for me, so the introduction of the 41mm case was a real plus.

The Blue dial is simply stunning. The best image I have seen of it was taken by a dealer listing it for sale, so I pinched the image.

Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 3rd June 2018 at 17:15.

Master
    I'm told the average age of a Rolex buyer is around sixty; probably because older people often have spare money, with the kids grown-up.
    If you take something like a Datejust, the range is so vast that it's hard to generalise. Fluted bezels, smooth bezels, loads of dial finishes, two types of bracelet, two sizes, steel, two-tone and so on. Some look 'golf club' and some look quite sleek.
    Let's face it, wait long enough and everything becomes fashionable again. Except flaired trousers.

Ive heard that with the new GMTs youre likely to be on a waiting list around 3 years at least before you get one, unless you have a fantastic relationship with an AD

Datejusts are and always will be gorgeus though. Love this one in particular

https://theoharris-pgrpc7nztxtdw9cw....t-12-25-17.png

Craftsman
    Never appealed to me the DJ but I had the same experience.
    Went in to AD seeking out Sports models and tried on the blue faced DJ with fluted bezel n Jubilee bracelet, loved it and to be honest would make a refreshing change from the multiple diver's.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I posted some images of a blue dial Datejust 41 (126300) on the jubilee thread before, so won't repeat it here, but it is a very versatile watch. I had always liked the look of the model, but the 36mm case was just too small for me, so the introduction of the 41mm case was a real plus.

The Blue dial is simply stunning. The best image I have seen of it was taken by a dealer listing it for sale, so I pinched the image.

Thanks, I spotted your post a short while after starting this thread, so read with interest. Seems like I’m not the only one with similar thinking.

I really like the blue. I had an omega “skyfall” blue aqua terra a few years ago. I loved the blue dial, but at 38.5mm it always seemed a bit small and I ended up selling it. This is a little bigger, a little dressier, a little slimmer, so seems a really nice potential replacement.

The blue seems a popular choice so far among responses.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Thanks, I spotted your post a short while after starting this thread, so read with interest. Seems like I’m not the only one with similar thinking.

I really like the blue. I had an omega “skyfall” blue aqua terra a few years ago. I loved the blue dial, but at 38.5mm it always seemed a bit small and I ended up selling it. This is a little bigger, a little dressier, a little slimmer, so seems a really nice potential replacement.

The blue seems a popular choice so far among responses.
    Think the DJ41 is actually only 39.5mm, so only marginally larger than the Omega. Having said that I think the size is perfect and it is an amazing watch. To be honest I can’t believe how much I love mine coming from having owned a LOT of Rolex SS sports models over the last decade. That does mean though I am a decade older than when I first started getting into watches so not sure if that has anything to do with me loving the DJ so much now.

Can’t comment on the jubilee as I am a pure oyster guy, but if swayed between TT and SS I’d say go for the TT...the rose gold is actually quite subtle but adds just enough to make it feel special. Good luck in your choice.

It is unquestionably a superb watch, the one which set the template for both gentlemen’s and ladies’ watches for decades to come... with perhaps the next equally significant change being the Swatch and then the Apple Watch?

Like many now-mature technologies, it is perhaps difficult to immediately understand the impact of a reliable, accurate, waterproof automatic watch with date, finished to a high standard and appropriate practically anywhere a watch is; but it was released in 1945, not that long after men started wearing watches on the wrist en masse.

Not even *that* expensive, certainly not for much of its life.

When the Datejust swelled I think it lost some of its elegance.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Agreed. Looks too bulky . When it was smaller just looked classy and understated .

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    +1.......that’s the most sensible post you’ve made for a long while, there’s hopw for you yet.

Datejust = thinking man’s Rolex?.........perhaps.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1.......that’s the most sensible post you’ve made for a long while, there’s hopw for you yet.
    I’ve got the warm fuzzies now.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I would love a new Pepsi gmt, but all the waiting around for something that may well never appear, to me anyway, has got me thinking maybe a DJ instead.
    Rolex will be satisfied to hear that their marketing strategy has worked :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post

I’ve been sat thinking “am I just being sucked in to Rolex’s marketing strategy”???...

...restrict ss sports to draw people in to other models. Still doesn’t make sense to me though. The dj model I’d be interested in (ss with wg bezel) is virtually the same price as the ss Pepsi. If they have gone to the trouble of developing and marketing the Pepsi, and there are plenty of surplus dj stock, why not make plenty of Pepsi gmt’s and less dj’s. I’m pretty sure one model can’t take up significantly more production costs/ time as that would be reflected in the price.

I don’t intend to restart a debate on Rolex supply as it’s gone round in circles many times! Just to say there seems no sense in it. If people are queuing to buy gmt’s, make some more, and less of something else.

Blog Entries
    Well I started in the AD with 6 on the table and took one away at a time. And ended up with a DJ41 bi-metal on Jubilee. It just felt and looked so good. Wearing the Exp2 more these days but the 41 is a keeper. It just looks so good to me wherever I wear it.
    As for being an old mans watch.................well I'll never be 30 something again so who cares. Like I've said before, go bold or go home!

My smooth bezel 60s Datejust is the only watch I ever get complimented on and it's usually by people under 30, pretty evenly split between men and women.

Once you get used of the lack of heft, they're lovely things and the cases are so beautifully profiled.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post

My thoughts exactly!!
    Moore those who don’t quite get what Rolex are trying to do by restricting hot models (it didn’t make sense to me either), this article is a fascinating read: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.a...le-retail/amp/

In short, they are trying to get customers generally comfortable with paying RRP (rather than going used or grey) by making doing so a privilege on certain models.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    My thoughts exactly!!
    Moore those who don’t quite get what Rolex are trying to do by restricting hot models (it didn’t make sense to me either), this article is a fascinating read: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.a...le-retail/amp/

In short, they are trying to get customers generally comfortable with paying RRP (rather than going used or grey) by making doing so a privilege on certain models.

Thanks for the link. An interesting read - I think I've seen it before but not taken it in very well!

I can see some logic coming through in this (which is still just someones opinion about what is actually going on), but as far as rolex is concerned, it doesn't just seem to be one or two grail models that are restricted in order to create false exclusivity, it seems to be virtually half their catalogue...

I think there is a fine line between creating an air of exclusivity with this practice and just hacking customers off.

One thing has definitely worked though.... Many people here would jump at the chance to pay RRP for a SS sports rolex, where as a few years ago, it was very common place to to get a c10% discount.

Master
    It's virtually everything Rolex makes. A few years ago you could get a gold model really quickly. Now you can wait , and wait. I assume the company is up against production capacity and doesn't wish to get any bigger (for now).
    They're probably making more watches than ever....but demand is relentless.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    ...Except flaired trousers...
    ...oh, you think so, do you? Ever the dedicated follower of fashion...

https://www.whowhatwear.co.uk/are-be...-back-in-style

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MAW View Post
    ...oh, you think so, do you? Ever the dedicated follower of fashion...

https://www.whowhatwear.co.uk/are-be...-back-in-style
    :) Ha if you are attractive you can wear whatever you want and it becomes fashionable. Sadly i'm not ... Photos of me in a item of clothing would probably sink a brand overnight 😂

Journeyman
    There was a stunning sunburst blue dial with WG Roman numerals that came with the 16200 with Oyster or 16234 with Jubilee or Blue baton on the bigger 116300 is very striking....

Master

I do wonder if this new found appreciation of the DJ is because the DJ41 is the same formula as older sized SS sports models, but with a DJ skin. It’s basically the same size as a 16570 Explorer II or an older sub, it’s a variation on the same theme but with a more dressy look.

The 41 is a better attempt at supersizing than the DJII for most wearers, but the heart and soul of the model remains the original versions, and they haven’t quite managed to upscale them without losing something in the process. I can’t help thinking there should be something in between the traditional 36mm DJ and the Sub in DJ clothing that is the 41*.

*At the risk of sounding like a broken record, a black dial Oyster Perpetual Date 38 is what I'm imagining. Simply a very slightly larger version of the classic look, oyster bracelet, no fat lugs, no oversized bezel, and 38 rather than 36 or 39.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 13th June 2018 at 11:32.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Well I started in the AD with 6 on the table and took one away at a time. And ended up with a DJ41 bi-metal on Jubilee. It just felt and looked so good. Wearing the Exp2 more these days but the 41 is a keeper. It just looks so good to me wherever I wear it.
    As for being an old mans watch.................well I'll never be 30 something again so who cares. Like I've said before, go bold or go home!

TT everrose yacht master.

In similar situation!
    Martyn

Craftsman
    I'm told the average age of a Rolex buyer is around sixty;
    Which explains why Rolex destroys perfectly good watches by fitting absolutely hideous cyclops to various models :-(

Quote Originally Posted by dotted1 View Post
    Ive heard that with the new GMTs youre likely to be on a waiting list around 3 years at least before you get one, unless you have a fantastic relationship with an AD

Datejusts are and always will be gorgeus though. Love this one in particular

https://theoharris-pgrpc7nztxtdw9cw....t-12-25-17.png
    Hope you’ve asked Christian permission to reproduce this

I’m love my vintage ones - so much nicer than the iterations over the last few years. Wearing the 1603 from T&H today in fact

Master
    Is that,grey dial version so different to the latest 41mm? Smaller, but they look pretty similar to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totally understandable. Although I have an example of every series of sports model that Rolex makes, the watch I've been wearing the most lately is a simple '80s Datejust — and I'm still pretty far from being old.
    Last edited by Belligero; 5th July 2018 at 10:34.

Craftsman
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but things have developed and I’ve reserved a blue dialled dj 41 fluted bezel at my AD.

It was on an oyster bracelet and they have got a jubilee in for me to compare and choose. They are happy to swap over and provide my bracelet of choice.

Which leads to my current “dilemma”. First time trying, I liked the jubilee. Second time, the jubilee/ fluted bezel combination seemed really fussy to me and I found myself preferring the cleaner look of the oyster, with the fluted bezel providing just a subtle touch of bling.

I know ultimately I have to go with what I prefer and I hope another try of both will allow me to reach a decision.

However, any comments/ guidance welcome. A few factors running through my mind:

I definitely prefer the fluted bezel over the smooth so don’t want to vary from this.

I definetely want the blue dial.

I definetely don’t want two tone. (Too much on the bling for me personally again)

It will be worn with a suit in the office, so the more dressy jubilee would suit.

Outside work I dress mainly casual so also want versatility. Not sure the jubilee is as versatile as oyster?

The negative aspect of the oyster is the ease of picking up scratches on the pcl’s although this is not sufficient reason on its own for me to dismiss it.

In pictures I like the jubilee. On my own wrist, oyster felt “more me” on last try.

Of all the above, I think my main priority is to be vesatile enough to wear casual as well as smart. Not sure the jubilee is as versatile?

As above, hope another try will swing it one way or another for me but comments most welcome.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but things have developed and I’ve reserved a blue dialled dj 41 fluted bezel at my AD.

It was on an oyster bracelet and they have got a jubilee in for me to compare and choose. They are happy to swap over and provide my bracelet of choice.

Which leads to my current “dilemma”. First time trying, I liked the jubilee. Second time, the jubilee/ fluted bezel combination seemed really fussy to me and I found myself preferring the cleaner look of the oyster, with the fluted bezel providing just a subtle touch of bling.

I know ultimately I have to go with what I prefer and I hope another try of both will allow me to reach a decision.

However, any comments/ guidance welcome. A few factors running through my mind:

I definitely prefer the fluted bezel over the smooth so don’t want to vary from this.

I definetely want the blue dial.

I definetely don’t want two tone. (Too much on the bling for me personally again)

It will be worn with a suit in the office, so the more dressy jubilee would suit.

Outside work I dress mainly casual so also want versatility. Not sure the jubilee is as versatile as oyster?

The negative aspect of the oyster is the ease of picking up scratches on the pcl’s although this is not sufficient reason on its own for me to dismiss it.

In pictures I like the jubilee. On my own wrist, oyster felt “more me” on last try.

Of all the above, I think my main priority is to be vesatile enough to wear casual as well as smart. Not sure the jubilee is as versatile?

As above, hope another try will swing it one way or another for me but comments most welcome.

If the oyster bracelet felt "more me", when you tried it on,thats the one I would get! We are all different though.

At the end of the day, a watch is made for wearing (as well as looking at!)..so get the one which "wears" best.

I prefer the look of the fluted bezels...though Ive never tried either on the wrist. Looking at pics etc, and deciding which is better, is great...but of course the real issue is how they look and wear on "your"! wrist.

I think I will get a datejust, as my retirement "present", to myself in 2 years time...(I was going to "gift" myself a Sub or S.D. at retirement time....but I got a S.D. earlier this week).

So for the next 2 years, I will have to decide which to get! So will be in the same dilemma as yourself.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    If the oyster bracelet felt "more me", when you tried it on,thats the one I would get! We are all different though.
    The score is 1 all at the moment from the two occasions I have tried them on. Hope the next visit results in a winning score!!

Good luck with your own datejust pondering.

Master
    I’ve been looking at these myself. Personally I think the jubilee makes it more old school, which is something I like.

This may help..😎

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I’ve been looking at these myself. Personally I think the jubilee makes it more old school, which is something I like.

This may help..

I have to agree..I think it looks better on the jubilee....

But when it comes to actually wearing on the wrist? I will have to wait and see.

Master

In all, there are about 400 variations in the Datejust range; so something for most people. With the 41mm I am a big fan of the Jubilee. It just seems to naturally suit the watch.
    The key to these designs is the ability to bestride both 'formal' and 'sports' worlds. They tend to look effortlessly elegant, but they have 10atm proofing and very robust movements.Unless you want to sit on the seabed, the DJ will work anywhere any Rolex sports can go.

As for this stuff about it being a watch for 'old people.' Classics are for every age. Or do you need to be a pensioner to appreciate a Jaguar E-type? It's just a cool, badly under-estimated watch.
    Well, to me anyway.[IMG]https://
    Still not sure if the smooth bezel is best. Difficult.
    Last edited by paskinner; 1st July 2018 at 13:22.

Journeyman

Here’s my 126300. I went smooth & Oyster, but if fluted is important I think Jubilee is a better match.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I prefer the fluted bezel, great watch and true classic.

Quote Originally Posted by ratty_uk2011 View Post

Here’s my 126300. I went smooth & Oyster, but if fluted is important I think Jubilee is a better match.

This is how I’d have it, and I agree that jubilee is best for fluted. I feel like the bezels each have a bracelet to match and they don’t really mix that well to my eye.

Craftsman
    Definitely go for the jubilee, such a classic on the datejust. I recently got my first and it is so comfortable to wear.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

As for this stuff about it being a watch for 'old people.' Classics are for every age. Or do you need to be a pensioner to appreciate a Jaguar E-type? It's just a cool, badly under-estimated watch.
    It works for the older crowd because the wrinkly bezel and bracelet match their wrinkly flesh.... ;-)

In all seriousness - the DJ is an underestimated watch, but I agree with those who have suggested the DJ41 lost elegance in the upsizing. To me the DJs have gone from being a dressy tool watch to a overly bling.

Master
    On this particular watch I’d say fluted bezel with jubilee. Looks classic.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    Definitely go for the jubilee, such a classic on the datejust. I recently got my first and it is so comfortable to wear.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    I just love the look of that - but what possessed the designer to put a baton at 9 o'clock?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ratty_uk2011 View Post
    I just love the look of that - but what possessed the designer to put a baton at 9 o'clock?
    I read it might be the ‘white line’ at Wimbledon.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchdude View Post
    I read it might be the ‘white line’ at Wimbledon.
    Isn’t it just so you’ve a reference point for the lumed hands?

[...]

For me, the fluted bezel, blue baton-marker dial and Oyster bracelet in steel is the best combination for a modern Datejust.

I have both bracelet styles for my fluted-bezel DJ and swap them around. While there’s also plenty to appreciate about the Jubilee, I’d recommend the Oyster option without hesitation if you’re going with one, particularly with the busier fluted bezel. In my opinion, it’s more versatile and simply looks better on the wrist.

Not my photos, but I think they do a great job of showing just how well the bracelet and bezel combination can work casually:

Master
    I agree with Belligero. Jubilee plus fluted bezel is quite busy and certainly too busy on my wrist having compared a lot of combinations lately. I think the oyster bracelet works well with fluted or smooth bezel.

Jubilee is more comfortable, has (IMO) a more secure clasp, and won’t show as many scratches as the oyster. Jubilee is also the classic partner to the fluted bezel. My only caveat would be that the blue dial is very sporty, and might look out of place with the fluted / jubilee combination.

Craftsman
    Hmm, so far (perhaps unsurprisingly) the variety of comments reflects my own deliberations pretty accurately.

I know the jubilee is the classic bracelet and I want to like it. I have my subc on brushed oyster and I like my watches to be reasonably different, so jubilee would set it further apart from the subc.

However, actually on the wrist, I find myself agreeing with latter comments, swaying back towards the oyster, perhaps from familiarity...

What’s the thoughts on:

Does the jubilee stack up as a sports bracelet, or is it more of a dress bracelet? In my limited experience it feels dressy.

Does the jubilee do casual ok or is oyster more versatile in this respect?