closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warming to the Datejust??

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Agreed. The 36mm is the one to go for in the current line up imo. Wish they'd hurry up and drop the new 3235 movement in the 116234.
    The 3235 is already in the two-tone versions (along with a redesigned case profile), so the steel model won't be far behind. Yes, I also think the classic 36 mm option works better on most wrists than the 39.5 mm one. You can't really go far wrong either way, though.

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    In fact here it is, mid 'test'. Too small or not?[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
    The fit is perfect, any bigger and the elegance is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    The fit is perfect, any bigger and the elegance is lost.
    I really can't imagine why you would want it any bigger than that, it would just look out of proportion. If already fills up most of your wrist!

I think this image speaks a thousand words, classic, elegance and timeless.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I really can't imagine why you would want it any bigger than that, it would just look out of proportion. If already fills up most of your wrist!
    Only real reason for my question is that for 15 years or so I wore the same 36mm breitling, then maybe 10 years back I started getting into watches and they've all been around 40-44 mm. So going back to 36mm just takes a couple of hours getting used to. (My daily is currently the 43.5mm po, with a 9300 speedy for special).

Funny how times change.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I think this image speaks a thousand words, classic, elegance and timeless.

These DJ36s with white dials look absolutely stunning in the flesh. I have never considered a white dial DJ. I tried on the DJ41 at a local AD yesterday and it was way, way too big and blingy for me. They had in stock a white dial with romans DJ36 with fluted on jubilee and oh my word it looked absolutely fantastic. I nearly walked out with it but I managed to compose myself. Last night I watched Polanski's 'Frantic' and Harrison Ford's character was wearing a DJ with white dial and Romans. It's a sign I tell you!!!

Is the Date just case different to the Oyster Perpetual case? The OP one looks squarer and the DJ seems to have more elegant lugs.

Master
    I’ve never taken much notice of the DJ range until recently....

But a few weeks back I ordered this.... 36mm new 3235 movement, jubilee in TT rose gold... just waiting for the call now.

That is Absolutely stunning....

Last edited by boring_sandwich; 31st August 2018 at 18:30.

Is the 3235 moment the one with the decent power reserve? Any other changes? Is it now across the whole DJ 36 range or just some models?

Master
    I thought only the 41mm has the new movement.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Nope. The TT 36mm now has the 3235. For what it's worth, the salesman at a local AD told me that he had been told by Rolex themselves that the 3235 movement will be launched into the 36mm steel datejust range at Basel 2019. The new 3235 powered DJ 36s have and will have slimmer lugs. I actually prefer the super case of the current 116234. The cushion case shape really works well imo.
    Last edited by beechcustom; 31st August 2018 at 20:34.

Master
    The new movement is in all 36mm except in steel... which still uses the older 3125. So basically all new TT 36mm use the 3235.

I suspect it won’t be long until the steel versions get the 3235 as well....

Master
    Is the 3235 moment the one with the decent power reserve? Any other changes? Is it now across the whole DJ 36 range or just some models?
    If you choose the jubilee bracelet, the hidden clasp is no longer available..... you get an oyster clasp with the adjustable link..

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    If you choose the jubilee bracelet, the hidden clasp is no longer available..... you get an oyster clasp with the adjustable link..
    Ah, I really liked the jubilee with the hidden clasp, to me it just looks really odd having an oyster clasp on the jubilee.

Ah, I really liked the jubilee with the hidden clasp, to me it just looks really odd having an oyster clasp on the jubilee.
    Indeed. I thought the same when I tried one of the new TT 36s on a few days ago. Lovely watch with a really substantial feel but the oyster clasp looks clumsy. Along with the super case, I think the hidden clasp jubilee is another reason to go for the current 116234.

I think the oyster clasp looks nicer on the jubilee as I have always felt the hidden clasp gave it more of a feminine bracelet look.

It’s also takes it back to its origins.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 1st September 2018 at 12:44.

Master
    Sadly, if you fancy the hidden clasp on a current design it has to be the Daydate. Only the Presidential bracelet has that clasp. But the downside if you lose adjustability. That's why the current Jubilee has the standard clasp.
    So, looks or convenience? Me, I'd probably take looks.

Sadly, if you fancy the hidden clasp on a current design it has to be the Daydate. Only the Presidential bracelet has that clasp. But the downside if you lose adjustability. That's why the current Jubilee has the standard clasp.
    So, looks or convenience? Me, I'd probably take looks.
    Oh right I'm sure I tried on a 36mm DJ with blue dial, fluted bezel and jubilee with the hidden clasp recently. It's too much money to compromise on looks I'd say.

Master
    Got a call yesterday.... off to collect shortly...

Last edited by Enoch; 2nd September 2018 at 19:16.

Nope. The TT 36mm now has the 3235. For what it's worth, the salesman at a local AD told me that he had been told by Rolex themselves that the 3235 movement will be launched into the 36mm steel datejust range at Basel 2019. The new 3235 powered DJ 36s have and will have slimmer lugs. I actually prefer the super case of the current 116234. The cushion case shape really works well imo.
    A 36mm Datejust with slimmer lugs and the new movement would be most welcome. Unfortunately it will probably come at quite a hike in price!

Classy, that actually works really well with blue jeans.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Classy, that actually works really well with blue jeans.
    Cheers... to be honest, I think it’ll pretty much go with anything, casual or dressy just seems to work.....

Mmmm maybe it’s the only watch I need..... no that’s just 😜

Wow that looks great. How long did you have to wait for it after ordering?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_li30 View Post
    Wow that looks great. How long did you have to wait for it after ordering?
    2 weeks👍 😎

Looks great.

Very nice!

Is that a new dial too ? (thought the 36mm datejusts have an outer ring on the dial)

You can't beat a DJ. I have set my sights on this one when I can afford it. My Mrs would go nuts if I bought another expensive watch before we have a house!

Apprentice

How can’t you love the datejust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Very nice!

Is that a new dial too ? (thought the 36mm datejusts have an outer ring on the dial)
    I couldn’t tell you as I’m not that familiar with the range. But here’s a close up if it helps

Journeyman
    DJs are cool especially Blue Roman WG bezel Jubilee bracelet...

Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    You can't beat a DJ. I have set my sights on this one when I can afford it. My Mrs would go nuts if I bought another expensive watch before we have a house!

Nah, you'll be fine, most of them can't tell a G Shock from a Greubel Forsey.
    J

Oh she’ll know.

Craftsman
    Now that's my current new favourite. So many options with these, very refreshing.

Is that also a 36mm?

Odd that prior to this pic I always thought smooth bezel went best with oyster...having seen that pic I'm now completely smitten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ped22 View Post

How can’t you love the datejust

Now that's my current new favourite. So many options with these, very refreshing.

Is that also a 36mm?

Odd that prior to this pic I always thought smooth bezel went best with oyster...having seen that pic I'm now completely smitten.

Pretty sure that’s the 41

Master
    With the '41'...actually 39mm...the smooth bezel/Jubilee looks great,

The more elaborate, gold, treatment adds major glitter. It looks more expensive and more old-fashioned.
    Take your pick. Incidentally, the size seems just fine on the average wrist. I like the 36mm too' both are excellent. But, for me, the Jubilee is a 'must.'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 8th September 2018 at 19:00.

These DJ36s with white dials look absolutely stunning in the flesh. I have never considered a white dial DJ. I tried on the DJ41 at a local AD yesterday and it was way, way too big and blingy for me. They had in stock a white dial with romans DJ36 with fluted on jubilee and oh my word it looked absolutely fantastic. I nearly walked out with it but I managed to compose myself. Last night I watched Polanski's 'Frantic' and Harrison Ford's character was wearing a DJ with white dial and Romans. It's a sign I tell you!!!
    I recently acquired one myself - a 16030 with a white Buckley dial. Just like the one in Frantic, although I wasn't aware of that connection.

With the '41'...actually 39mm...the smooth bezel/Jubilee looks great,

The more elaborate, gold, treatment adds major glitter. It looks more expensive and more old-fashioned.
    Take your pick. Incidentally, the size seems just fine on the average wrist. I like the 36mm too' both are excellent. But, for me, the Jubilee is a 'must.'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I’ve only recently liked the Jubilee. I was always an Oyster fan but now I’m feeling that the jubilee with smooth bezel has got a lot more going on. Both are awesome though

Grand Master
    Traditionally I always equate the Jubilee with the fluted bezel, and the smooth bezel with the Oyster, but this isn’t a hard and fast rule.

I find the pre-2006 Jubilee extremely comfortable, no problem getting a good fit, but I struggle with the Oyster from that era; ideally the 6 side should be shorter. Conversely, the post 2006 Oyster is excellent in this respect, I owned one and had no problems getting a perfect fit.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Traditionally I always equate the Jubilee with the fluted bezel, and the smooth bezel with the Oyster, but this isn’t a hard and fast rule.

I find the pre-2006 Jubilee extremely comfortable, no problem getting a good fit, but I struggle with the Oyster from that era; ideally the 6 side should be shorter. Conversely, the post 2006 Oyster is excellent in this respect, I owned one and had no problems getting a perfect fit.

Paul
    I guess it comes down to personal preference. I might try on a smooth bezel with jubilee and decide I don’t like it!

Journeyman
    Perhaps you could try a 16264 Turnograph...they're original....

Craftsman
    I have now spent about three days on the configurator at Rolex website. Wife has gone nuts.

Now I've persuaded myself to move away from the pro watches, maybe in part because of wait list shenanigans but mainly 'cos these are just a beautiful, solid and comfy watch to wear instead of obsess about chasing the dream.

Every other thought now is 'smooth or fluted'!

Master
    I am warming to the 41mm white dial with the fluted bezel in the oyster bracelet.

Nice but much prefer the slimmer tudor prince myself

Master

Warming to the Datejust??

I have now spent about three days on the configurator at Rolex website. Wife has gone nuts.

Now I've persuaded myself to move away from the pro watches, maybe in part because of wait list shenanigans but mainly 'cos these are just a beautiful, solid and comfy watch to wear instead of obsess about chasing the dream.

These are great watches, which is why Rolex has done so well. Overall, I would put the Datejust as the world's greatest watch. For me, 41mm, rhodium dial, smooth bezel, Jubilee. Just gorgeous and an endless pleasure to wear. The smooth bezel makes it look more modern and less bling. And it costs less.
    I have posted that before, but it's just such a pleasure.
    Last edited by paskinner; 11th September 2018 at 20:42.

These are great watches, which is why Rolex has done so well. Overall, I would put the Datejust as the world's greatest watch. For me, 41mm, rhodium dial, smooth bezel, Jubilee. Just gorgeous and an endless pleasure to wear. The smooth bezel makes it look more modern and less bling.
    Totally agree.....we’ll maybe not the worlds greatest bit, but on everything else.

Last edited by tz-uk73; 11th September 2018 at 20:56.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Totally agree.....we’ll maybe not the worlds greatest bit, but on everything else.
    Deep in your heart, you know......

I really don't believe you'll regret a move away from the professional range. The Datejust is a fantastic watch that I can't imagine my collection being without.

I wish I loved the Jubilee - I totally appreciate out as a thing of beauty, but just don't like it on my wrist.
    I feel like I'm missing out as a result