closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 7A28 Gen 1

Seiko 7A28 Gen 1

Morning all, quick question for all you Gen 1 owning guys out there. I've been looking at these for a few weeks now, and just can't stop visualising one in the watch box. Really like the simple chrono dial, the brushed case and of course the military credentials make it that much more interesting.

But, they seem to be about a grand now. I seem to remember when I bought my G10 about 4-5 yrs ago, that these were 3-400 quid.

So... those of you that have bought one recently(ish) and paid four figures, or close to, do you look at the watch and think you've had VFM? And those that bought a few years back for a few hundred, and really know / appreciate the watch, do you think you'd buy one now for £1000?

Just interested in your thoughts on this, as I've decided an issued watch will be my next purchase, and its a toss up between one of these or a CWC RN/SBS diver.

In case you hadn't seen this ....

I don't actually own a 7A28 RAF Gen. 1 ....

But I have been tracking their prices for nearly 5 years:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums...cewatch-thread

And you're right. I've never understood the attraction myself (nor never will), particularly when you can still buy many of the civilian variants of 7Axx's for a fraction of the price.

Thanks for the link, that brings back some memories, should have bought one when I was looking originally 4-5 years ago for 400 odd quid...

I do actually really like them, that's why I'm finding it hard to ignore what my rational self is telling me! £1000 for a quartz tool watch that was under half the price only 4-5 years ago. But then I've still got pieces that I bought 5+ years ago that have doubled in value, so I suppose its to be expected in this market.

I've just got to decide whether I like it more or less than the CWC. First world decisions eh?

Apprentice
    I've had 4 over the past 10 yrs I buy them, the price goes up stupidly and then I sell, I like them, but not that much. The first one I bought was £120 Trinity Marine had about 20. IMHO there are much nicer watches for a fraction of this price.
    As the whole reason for the price is supply and demand and not build quality i'd be very careful buying one for this price.
    Last edited by actionvin; 5th June 2018 at 09:05.

Quote Originally Posted by actionvin View Post
    there are much nicer watches for a fraction of this price.
    Sums it all up
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Journeyman
    Just a thought, you could get a civvy Seiko Gen 2 or Pulsar Gen 1 if you like the military chrono look as well as a CWC Quartz RN Diver for the money. Best of both worlds?

I was lucky to have picked mine up about 20 years ago , when they were sensibly priced.

Master
    Had mine several years and wouldn't be buying at a grand these days. It's rarely worn and I'm no military collector but part of me doesn't want to ever sell.

Cheers
    Neil

Damn... These are a fine looking piece... But yes, a grand plus for one would be a tough pill to swallow I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I was lucky to have picked mine up about 20 years ago , when they were sensibly priced.
    Sold mine when they were sensibly priced.

I have one of these which I got from a member on MWR. It was a little over a year ago and I think I paid about £600. It's a birth year watch for me and I have a small collection of military watches so I was happy to pay that price.

Would I pay £1k+ for one now? I'd find it hard to jump up to that figure. I'd be inclined to look for badly written listings on ebay or keep an eye out for military surplus auctions.

With all that being said, it's a great watch and wears really nicely. The movement is solid and pretty serviceable.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at the price watch thread you should still be able to get one in the 500-700 range if you're patient.

Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    Looking at the price watch thread you should still be able to get one in the 500-700 range if you're patient.
    http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums...thread?page=37

Yes a strange downward dip in eBay auction selling prices in the last couple of weeks.

Though that last one, with claimed 'provenance', but without any crystal and clear evidence of a major battery leak, was little better than a resto' project.

Master
    I have several of these, still in their RAF boxes which I bought at an MOD sale. I hadn't realised that they were worth anything.

I'm still keeping an eye out for one, not sure how I missed those first two. I did see the one with no crystal and bent hands, phoned Seiko UK and they said the hands were no longer available, so I didn't bid. Can't believe it went for over 500 quid.

Re the seiko gen2 and pulsar gen1, I'm not quite so keen on the dials of those two vs the seiko gen1, but then 4-500 quid saving is not to be sniffed at I suppose...
    Last edited by tomsdad; 15th July 2018 at 07:07.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    I have several of these, still in their RAF boxes which I bought at an MOD sale. I hadn't realised that they were worth anything.
    Can you post a picture of an 'RAF box' as I was issued a Gen 1 in 1988 and I don't recall a box. It may jog my memory as I wasn't really into watches then and I may have simply thrown it away. Thanks.

ETA. I still have mine (and a Gen 2) and it's going nowhere.

There is a gen 1 for sale for £595 at Anchor Supplies if anyone is looking

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    There is a gen 1 for sale for £595 at Anchor Supplies if anyone is looking
    Odd that they've not included a pic of the case back