closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW ARRVIAL! Marine Chronometer Company Offshore Professional

NEW ARRVIAL! Marine Chronometer Company Offshore Professional

After a couple of years of watching these beautiful timepieces from afar... I am delighted to say that Offshore Professional #130 is about start its construction.. for me! The base ETA 7750 is with Lorne and soon to start its transformation into the 775M2 that it is now known as.

In chatting to Lorne over the past couple of years, I ended up chipping in to give him a hand with redesigning his website and so marinechronometer.co.uk was launched a few weeks ago.

The more I look at the detail on these watches, the more I appreciate the thinking behind them. Bullet proof, with a fantastic warranty. Not many websites cover scenarios like running your watch over with your car!

Today, I spent a few hours working at some of Lorne's images for the site. A chance to stare closely at the pixels.... as I wait for mine to arrive. I've been playing with a few things in Photoshop and these may not ever make it onto Lorne's website as they take away some detail. However, I like their dreamy glow and thought I'd share them here along with my anticipation of the new arrival.

An unfiltered version:

Unfiltered version of the above pic showing the steel brushing detail on the dial:

Chunky!!

I never noticed before today.... blue stitching on the INSIDE only, chosen to match the blue screw heads visible through the display back:

.... and finally, a look inside:

Last edited by JohnnyE; 6th June 2018 at 10:59.

Hi Johnny, you've slightly beaten me to it as I recently had an exchange of e-mails with Lorne about my intention to place an order. I'm liquidating stuff at the moment to raise the funds, and I've only got about £250 to go!

Great photos here.

Oh, and you did a great job on the website, by the way.

Simon

Will yours be #129, by any chance?

Simon

Master
    Looks very smart and rather robust, can you give us an indication of price as it's not obvious from the website??

Journeyman
    Cool looking watch, looks like it will be able to take a beating!

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Looks very smart and rather robust, can you give us an indication of price as it's not obvious from the website??
    If you click on ‘Chronographs’, the price is right at the top - £1650 at the moment.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Hi Johnny, you've slightly beaten me to it as I recently had an exchange of e-mails with Lorne about my intention to place an order. I'm liquidating stuff at the moment to raise the funds, and I've only got about £250 to go!

Great photos here.

Oh, and you did a great job on the website, by the way.

Simon
    I gather Lorne got a batch of ETA's - to make #130-134. Mine is being built today, undergoing testing tomorrow, and should be ready to send out on Monday! Can't wait!!!

Thanks for the positive comments about the site. As with all these things... it will be an ongoing work in progress for Lorne.

Will yours be #129, by any chance?

Simon
    Sorry Simon... I missed your question. Mine is #130

Master
    Lorne has a register of all owners, I'm in there somewhere in the sixties from memory. Great watches never seen one in the wild, enjoy.

Well, I placed my order for #131 this afternoon!

Now I have to be patient for the next 6 weeks!

Very excited...

Simon

Well, I placed my order for #131 this afternoon!

Now I have to be patient for the next 6 weeks!

Very excited...

Simon
    Excellent!!! I'll have some wrist shots for you during the week then.... to keep you going (or prolong your torture!... hopefully not!)

These custom straps Lorne has got Dangerous9Straps to make up are quite something:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Excellent!!! I'll have some wrist shots for you during the week then.... to keep you going (or prolong your torture!... hopefully not!)

These custom straps Lorne has got Dangerous9Straps to make up are quite something:

I have a advantage over you, Johnny, in that I only live about 15 minutes from the shop... so next week I’m going over there to try one on.

Wrist shots would be great, though.

Simon

Craftsman
    Bad form to spam a thread about the watches you make I know, but I’m equally excited this morning. Number 001 is back after 6 years in the field for an upgrade to OO-spec. It’s been the daily wear of an engineer who has clearly used it with care and consideration, but equally advises he just wears it wherever and whatever.

It’ll get a strip down as part of the upgrade, so I’ll be able to see and assess long term performance of seals etc, but on initial examination it looks in remarkably good condition. My own Field Engineer is a bit older than 001, but I’ve constantly tinkered with it as a test bed, so other than rotor and some movement base components, not much is still original.

Was pleased to see 001 on its strap as most owners switch to the metal bracelet after a few years. The strap clearly has degradation and wear, both of which the new standard fit straps are aimed at curtailing. As Mycroft and JohnnyE note, the new straps will be coming in from 135 onwards and as they’re rather expensive, hand-crafted marvels, the Field Engineer price will have to bump up to account. To be honest they’re dammed expensive, but dangerous John (dangerous9straps) is just so good and they’re just so perfect, that they completely fit the overall philosophy of ‘the best, regardless of the cost’. I’ve always worn my FE on a strap so I’m a little obsessed with getting it just so. New strap will, of course, be available to all existing FE owners, and the custom ones can already be ordered directly from dangerous John. Got to love it that an American living in Munich has the nickname ‘dangerous’.

And as I might be in the Sudan later this month, I’ll look into Blue Nile Crocodile as an option to the Amazon Teju of the standard fit.

Last edited by LorneG; 2nd June 2018 at 21:45.

Craftsman
    Even worse form to spam a thread twice, but could use some advice. How do you catch and peel an Aston Martin?

These are material samples from the strap-artisan who's making a second prototype standard fit strap. Two standard fit strap options incidentally not just so there's an option, but because this one will work particularly well down to quite slim wrists thanks to a nifty 3D printed core in it.

I was going to ask the question on pistonheads, but I noticed there’s an Aston owner on that forum who’s quite miffed about a bit missing from his DB11 seats.

Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    What a selection!! After much deliberation... I concluded that I'd need three from that sample batch!

I was thinking yesterday about the current situation we're in with my wife's illness and, if I could buy a watch to cheer myself up, what would it be? It would be something that I would keep forever and would be as unique as she is. I wouldn't want to see another one outwith our crazy watch circle.

By the way, she's being spoiled rotten, just in case you thought my comment was a bit 'all-about-me' ;)

The watch I came up with is this one with the tachy bezel. Every element of this watch matches everything I love about watches.

At £1650 it's also outstanding value. Congratulations Lorne on an absolutely fantastic creation.

There is a problem though. As much as I love it, I could never afford it :(

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I was thinking yesterday about the current situation we're in with my wife's illness and, if I could buy a watch to cheer myself up, what would it be? It would be something that I would keep forever and would be as unique as she is. I wouldn't want to see another one outwith our crazy watch circle.

By the way, she's being spoiled rotten, just in case you thought my comment was a bit 'all-about-me' ;)

The watch I came up with is this one with the tachy bezel. Every element of this watch matches everything I love about watches.

At £1650 it's also outstanding value. Congratulations Lorne on an absolutely fantastic creation.

There is a problem though. As much as I love it, I could never afford it :(
    I gathered from our previous messaging that there was a problem in the family, David, and I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I do wish her and you all the best - I'm only too well aware how tough it can be to have illness in the family.

I've been totally obsessed with this watch ever since I first saw a post about it on the forum, and I've been determined to acquire one. In my case, I decided that as I didn't have the money lying around I'd have to raise it. So far I've sold a ROKU Streaming Stick (to you!), an Ocean 44 and a brand new Luch single hander on SC as well as an old Baume et Mercier and two old iPhones on eBay. I received compensation from EasyJet for an 8-hour+ flight delay. By adding all of that together with a couple of hundred pounds I already had spare, I'm only £243 short!

That exercise has allowed me to place an order with Lorne, and I now have 5 to 6 weeks to raise the last few quid. If someone (please!) would make me an offer for my Bulova Lobster that's still sitting on SC then I'll basically be home and dry!

I absolutely think it's going to be worth it. I agree with you, this pushes all the buttons for me too and the opportunity to own something so rare from new (mine will be no. 131) is really quite special.

I too think that at a price point of £1,650 it's phenomenal value. I know that Lorne will be raising the price shortly as he's going significantly up-market with the new sexy teju straps (see his posts above), but I'm personally happy to have got in under the wire before he does so.

Simon

Well done Simon, I'm sure you'll love it. The ROKU stick is used daily you'll be pleased to know.

Sorry, I'm not in the market for your Bulova.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Sorry, I'm not in the market for your Bulova.
    Don't worry mate, I wasn't expecting you to buy it :)

Simon

Craftsman
    Bad form to spam a thread about the watches you make I know, but I’m equally excited this morning.
    I think it's great that you come and speak here and on other forums about the design and processes behind them. It's an insight that we don't normally see, or if we do then it's been well diluted by the PR/marketing departments!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    I think it's great that you come and speak here and on other forums about the design and processes behind them. It's an insight that we don't normally see, or if we do then it's been well diluted by the PR/marketing departments!
    It's not so much speaking about design, engineering etc; more about sucking in thoughts and opinions. I've always been a believer that you can only get toward excellence if you're happy for people to give you truly honest opinions on things. The engineering I'm very confident with as it's my profession and I'm a bit of an arrogant sod with anything down that route. The more intangible things though are not my strengths. Been getting some slightly too honest opinions about watch case protectors here on TZ-UK this morning!

Well.... my Offshore Professional arrives on Wednesday!! Excitement mounting here....

One more pic re-worked tonight to keep me out of trouble.....

ORIGINAL:

.... and half an hour later...

Last edited by JohnnyE; 4th June 2018 at 22:19.

Well, after viewing the Offshore Professional from afar for years... I now have #130 on my wrist!!

I am simply blown away at how this watch oozes quality. The detail is astounding. The brushed sections of the dial are so very close in tone to the main dial... they merge into one in certain lights.. then pop.. the steel is back. The dark contrast of the black hands and hour markers is perfect on the soft toned backdrop.

Knurling... wow. It has been machined perfectly. There's no other way to put it... perfectly done. Precise - as you'd expect from an engineer.

The presentation case is also another piece of evidence of Lorne's journey with this watch. It's beautiful. Holds two watches... and contains the warranty cards and the solid bracelet. I usually put my watches straight onto their bracelet but in this case, I'm staying with leather. The strap and deployant are again, just right.

There's no point in me uploading photos. In the course of building Lorne's website, there's plenty on this thread alone. So... here's a couple of rough, one handed mobile phone videos. I picked some 1 click freebie Youtube music over the top rather than my heavy breathing, so turn down your volume if you dont like the tunes!

If you have ever been on the fence on these watches.... get your funds sorted... sell off the stuff you never wear and do it!!!

I'll finish with a shameless plug for Lorne's website: https://marinechronometer.co.uk/
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 6th June 2018 at 11:42.

Craftsman
    Very nice of you to say so JohnnyE and I only have two comments:

How about U2 or Abba (best two groups of all time) as background music?

Looks like you have a 6.75 inch wrist, so you'll be better moving to the second hole on the strap as first hole will ensure the clasp imprints on your wrist (first hole for 6.25 to 6.50 wrists). Slightly looser on the strap with the strap actually away from the thumb to tendon side of your wrist and it'll hold in position perfectly and be un-noticeably comfortable.

I'm not going to spam this thread anymore, as I think I might be tending toward advertising, which is a definite no-no on TZ.

edit: instead I'm on the George & Dragon section talking about the best cars to teach kids to drive in and PH with the most dangerous places people have been - mk 1 TT and the Irish bar in Milan are the winners at the moment.
    Last edited by LorneG; 6th June 2018 at 12:37.

Looks like you have a 6.75 inch wrist, so you'll be better moving to the second hole on the strap as first hole will ensure the clasp imprints on your wrist (first hole for 6.25 to 6.50 wrists). Slightly looser on the strap with the strap actually away from the thumb to tendon side of your wrist and it'll hold in position perfectly and be un-noticeably comfortable.
    Spot on.. I'd put it in position 1 to force it to break in! As you say... imprints followed, so I' moved to that 2nd slot and you wouldn't know you're wearing it.

Great looking watch - Always good to see a fellow UK watch company on here! congrats guys.

Master
    Mmm, I see they have copied the Christopher Ward trident seconds hand...

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Mmm, I see they have copied the Christopher Ward trident seconds hand...
    Take a closer look, it's the right way up on the Offshore.

Craftsman
    Nice vid, #132 ordered!

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Nice vid, #132 ordered!
    Good stuff!!!! You will not regret it I can assure you.

I've kept coming back to this watch for the last couple of years. I love the story, the quality, the amazing engineering, the exclusivity, but there's just something I can't put my finger on yet. Something about the overall look. I'm 90% there but it's a lot of money to put down when you just aren't sure. Still frustratingly undecided!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    I've kept coming back to this watch for the last couple of years. I love the story, the quality, the amazing engineering, the exclusivity, but there's just something I can't put my finger on yet. Something about the overall look. I'm 90% there but it's a lot of money to put down when you just aren't sure. Still frustratingly undecided!
    At the risk of being banned for advertising (which I don't think this is), but smart man. Only go for something if you're 100%. You can always pm me and drop around to try one on, and as I've got my Gaggia machine working again, there's a decent cup of coffee.

Incidentally, since I've broken my rule and posted; CW Trident introduced mid 2012, Field Engineer delivered to first customer Dec 2011. It's a trident though and being a 2000 year old symbol (notably of Britannia which is why I like it so much), it's a tad tricky to copyright. Sea-God also make some lovely watches with a trident symbol on them and I think an Italian car manufacturer also uses it, plus no doubt lots of other companies.

edit: Still not advertising, just explaining. I put the three teeth of the trident upwards because a chronograph main seconds hand is generally parked in the vertical or as I'm pleased to see JohnnyE has done, at the 7 second mark (all my pics have it here because I rather like it). I'm the most unsuperstitious person in the world, but if the three teeth point down it looks like a horseshoe with all the good luck falling out.

If you look closely at the knurling, you'll notice that around the bezel edge it's been softened a bit. This was in response to my wife's comment that I appear to have been fraying the left hand cuff on my shirts. Doesn't happen now.
    Last edited by LorneG; 6th June 2018 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    That sums up my view of this watch. Photos are all well and good, but I would want to at least see it before I bought one. I think before I got too far down the line with this I would ask Lorne if he has an example to take a good look at.

I have to say that the quality of that watch jumps off the screen. Very impressive.

Well, I visited The Clock Gallery yesterday which is where the Field Engineer is built by the delightful Darius, so I could have a look at one.

Great watch, and although I tried on one fitted with the steel bracelet, I suspect when mine arrives (I’ve ordered #131) I’m going to be keeping it on leather.

I was genuinely blown away by the quality - really looking forward to mine coming through.

Simon

Master
    Where can one try on one of these?

I’m really liking the design and the quality looks outstanding. Being 44mm I’d need to try one on my 6.75” wrist though. Does anyone have the lug to lug measurement?

Quote Originally Posted by Deeez Nuuutz View Post
    Where can one try on one of these?

I’m really liking the design and the quality looks outstanding. Being 44mm I’d need to try one on my 6.75” wrist though. Does anyone have the lug to lug measurement?
    You can call with Darius at The Clock Gallery http://clockgallerylondon.co.uk/ or email Lorne to see one at his place.

As for lug to lug... I'll measure mine in a while and post back.

Being 44mm I’d need to try one on my 6.75” wrist though. Does anyone have the lug to lug measurement?

I'm 6,75" wristed... and can tell you the watch sits VERY well and is comfortable. The straps are designed to curve down and round. The lugs as you can see above, fall sharply down too, creating that comfortable angle. My wrist shot video above should show you how it would be on you.

Here's a pic of the profile on me:

Last edited by JohnnyE; 7th June 2018 at 14:56.

Craftsman
    I'd had a chat with Lorne about that as I'm also a 6.75" wrist and this size of watch is usually on the limit for me. However his wrist is the same size so that's what the watch is designed for. He's got a few extra pics to help gauge size.

I had similar thoughts to steelgecko above, been looking at these for years, every now and then I come across a link to them and get interested again. Was planning on trying one on next time I'm in London to see it in the flesh, but that video gave a good impression and there's a reason I keep coming back to them so decided to jump in before the price increase of the new straps. Although I'll quite possibly buy one of the new straps anyway if they're as good as they sound! The entire package of these is really appealing to me, nice style, can cope with some abuse (which is vital with young kids around!), some interesting engineering behind it, excellent value, got a good feeling about the vendor support on these too if it's needed!

Master
    Thanks guys. I’ll try and get there at some point to have a try. Do you have to make an appointment at the Clock Gallery to try one or can you just drop by?

Thanks guys. I’ll try and get there at some point to have a try. Do you have to make an appointment at the Clock Gallery to try one or can you just drop by?
    His mobile is 07542 513 984 - best to give a quick call to check he'll be there

Master
    His mobile is 07542 513 984 - best to give a quick call to check he'll be there
    Thanks Johnny!

Craftsman
    I have been looking at one of these watches for some time and have now contacted Lorne to order.

It has a lot of personal resonance for me (aside from the quality in design, engineering and value).

I’m an accountable Aerospace Engineer and the watch is assembled and completed in Ealing, London where I was bought up!

Very much looking forward to hearing from Lorne and placing my order

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I have been looking at one of these watches for some time and have now contacted Lorne to order.

It has a lot of personal resonance for me (aside from the quality in design, engineering and value).

I’m an accountable Aerospace Engineer and the watch is assembled and completed in Ealing, London where I was bought up!

Very much looking forward to hearing from Lorne and placing my order
    Nice one! You'll not regret it. The detail on the watch is second to none.. and the thought process behind those details... every one has a reason. I appreciate that... and from your profession as an aerospace engineer, you'll love it.

Craftsman
    Ordered today and very much looking forward to receiving 134

Lorne is a gentleman to deal with and many thanks for the positive advice on buying

It’s just a matter of smuggling it home 😀

Lorne is a gentleman to deal with and many thanks for the positive advice on buying

It’s just a matter of smuggling it home 
    Excellent! Let us know how you get on when it arrives....

Craftsman
    Excellent! Let us know how you get on when it arrives....
    I will do!

It’s just a matter of smuggling it home 😀
    Lorne

I've sat on the fence for ages. I did say on another thread about your watch, this would be my next purchase.
    Can I PLEASE have no 135 Field Engineer?
    Those numbers work for me 👍🏻

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Lorne

I've sat on the fence for ages. I did say on another thread about your watch, this would be my next purchase.
    Can I PLEASE have no 135 Field Engineer?
    Those numbers work for me 

You can, but it'll be 6 to 8 weeks as the number is part of the next batch or rotors that will be made in Switzerland. (edit: 6-8 weeks is my version of just-in-time component manufacture to keep costs down and cash flow positive-ish). Rotor numbers 133 and 129 are with me and can be used for assembly by Saturday of next week, along with the chronographs that are being built by Darius at the moment (the numbers below). Best to email me at lorne@marinechronometer.co.uk.

JohnnyE incidentally, is not only the best web site guru in the world, but also the best photographer, video-er and best marketing person I've ever met. A Kindred spirit, but in completely different disciplines!

Thanks Lorne. emailed you as requested. A website edit :-) could be a "button" option to purchase. I know they're made to order as such. But I couldn't find away to register my desire.
    Looking forward to the journey and the sheer exclusivity that comes with owning one of only 135 in the world.
    Sod the Daytona 👍🏻