closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your partner like your watches?

Does your partner like your watches?

So who is lucky enough that their other half shares your taste in watches?

Just had an interesting chat myself. I have just sold a Breitling Navitimer 01 to buy a Rolex Sub 116610.

I loved the detail on the Navitimer, but it was very bling and sometimes a little too loud. The lack of WR was also irritating when on holiday etc... but the other half liked it - I think she appreciated why it was expensive with all of the tiny detailing.

I initially found Subs very boring and common, but like many have grown to appreciate the understated quality and class they have. I look forward to most people never noticing it, and it fitting in anywhere. The other half said 'can't believe your buying a boring rolex'. I also don't think she sees where the money has gone with it.

I think it's funny how tastes change... anyone else have similar conversations?

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Mixed blessing, it did come up in conversation when Federers wife was sporting a Rolex sports model a while back.
    I think you could look at it that she will start borrowing your collection or see it as an opportunity to increase your own collection!

Many an evening she'll be there looking at my Bull Head.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Er, no. Best not to mention. Although last year she did overestimate by 300% what she thought I'd spent on watches. I take that as a buying opportunity :-)

Master
    These days my partner has more watches than me; two Zeniths, a Cartier, Rolex OP, Nomos. She tends to dislike the macho stuff like Rolex dive watches, instead her preference is for 'quieter' designs such as the Datejust.
    I am influenced by her views, a bit. Her favourite is a 1970s Zenith, which is indeed lovely. Mind you, her Cartier has a pink strap, so it's not all good taste stuff.

Craftsman
    No, barely even notices them.

Says my reverso “looks a bit girly”

Blog Entries
    Not much! She was particularly unimpressed with my Exp 2, didn't like the dial as it's 'too white'!

Quite likes the Datejust, but all the others fall into the 'oh another watch' category.

Still likes her Datejust though, thank god!

Completely ambivalent. Perfect

Craftsman
    She has barely any interest at all. Always asks 'how much' when something new arrives though....

Oh, she always asks me what James Martin is wearing when he's on telly. I bet his AD won't tell him they're keeping the warranty card for 12 months!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No. She only really likes Pepsi gmts.
    The rest she's completely ambivalent about.

I only own about ten watches in total. I started with mainly stainless or titanium bodies. Recently I started collecting a few g shocks which are completely different... including a bright yellow one before also adding an orange seiko skx011.

The wife never really notices anything however my eagle eyed 5 year old daughter typically catches me at breakfast in the kitchen and shouts out... daddy when did you get the new watch. To which I reply oh it’s the same one I always had... to which she then retorts but the strap is different so it can’t be the same watch. This is the point at which the wife gets interested. I’ll be sure to keep my guard up with my daughter from now on.

With this said I put away the wife’s Cartier tank a few weeks back as she’s mainly been wearing a colourful swatch we picked up in duty free a while back. I was tidying up the closet and organizing the watches on the weekend and I told her where I put her watch. She said that she had been looking for it as she likes to change them depending on what she is wearing. Perhaps she’s starting her watch journey!?!

She is ambivalent about them.

Journeyman
    My wife is interested and appreciates my watches. She even bought me my watch boxes, saying that there was space for my second Rolex... well, it would be rude not to...

Craftsman
    I beam with joy when she looks at a blue sky in the morning and tells me it’s a Pogue day. :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The OH appreciates my interest in watches and that I often buy bits and pieces. She rarely challenges me to sell which is nice.

Master
    Never bats an eyelid. Has a vague knowledge that my watches aren’t cheap, but that’s where her interest/knowledge ends.

Craftsman
    I have just three watches. A Tag Aquaracer Grande Date, a Speedmaster ‘57 co-Axial and a metal G-Shock W310D. My wife keeps asking me why I have three watches, all EXACTLY the same!

Craftsman
    My wife has got very interested. She currently wears one of my Daytona's and has 3 watches on order. Upside is she encourages me to purchase Patek's. She feels you can enjoy your investment and liquidate it later if needs must. Admittedly her logic is skewed my always getting a return on what has been purchased over past 10 years....

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post

Oh, she always asks me what James Martin is wearing when he's on telly. I bet his AD won't tell him they're keeping the warranty card for 12 months!
    I would wager he is also one of the privileged few that manages to get put at the top of AD waiting lists too!

Yes, in a 'that's nice' kind of way, but follows it with what's the point, you'll only sell it so why bother asking me.

Even if I promise to make an effort to stop farting about, she tells me that looking is my weakness. She says you are fine until you go on that site and look, then all of a sudden you are enthusiastic about something that you have seen.

Her advice, stop logging on to that bloody site.

She has a point...

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Many an evening she'll be there looking at my Bull Head.
    Aceness

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

She says they all look the same
    Even my Monaco

Thicket

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Master
    The only thing my wife has to say is "not another watch".

Craftsman
    Bought her a white J12 which turned out to be a good ‘investment’ as never hear a bad word when I go shopping

She likes all three of my watches.

I have more than ten. Says something about my choices I guess.

Craftsman
    She has her own little collection but does like some of mine and borrows the odd one on occasion. Just means I have to change straps and adjust bracelets now and again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My partner shows some interest. The eyes tend to roll when another strap turns up for my Panerai though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My wife is the one who suggested that I start a collection of watches which I’m just about to do. She has decided to buy me my next watch and when I said I wouldn’t mind doing 3-4 watches in a collection she said 4 wasn’t enough for a decent collection and wants me to re-consider. Good women are hard to come by..lol

I am not sure my wife could have cared less until I bought here a birth year Datejust for her last significant birthday (just over 9 years ago).
    She absolutely loves it and has worn it every day since.
    But hasn't developed the urge to get a greater collection going.
    She despairs that I have a collection of watches that look "exactly the same" as each other, but is relatively content that my hobbies are not any more life or relationship threatening

Dave

In my case she doesn't really care, but dosbt understand what there is too like on something so 'plain' as a Sub lol.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

thank God she does not care.

My daughter is another story. She had ton of cheap plastic watches since she was 5 or 6, at 12 she got nice quartz Tissot and is wearing it 24/7 for 3 years now. Recently she said that she feels awkward without watch.

Master
    Mostly. The exceptions were Speedmasters, in fact any chronos. Maybe they have more geeky appeal to men. The other exception is the 16570 Rolex Explorer II, another firm forum favourite and bit of an 'action man' watch. I guess what men think is cool doesn't always translate.

Master
    Worth bearing in mind that Rolex's best selling model is the ladies Datejust. So women clearly do have opinions about watches, fancy nice models , and provide major selling opportunities .
    Of course, on the forums, all that side of things is largely ignored. Almost no women on forums, as far as I know.

My collection includes speedmasters, a daytona, various IWC pilot watches, dive watches and dress watches. But they "all look the same"

Master
    I think we’ve had this sort of discussion before.

My wife has never once complained. Though since I joined tz-uk and started flipping, her approach has changed. Previously she’d greet a new arrival with “that’s nice.” Now she says “how long will you keep it?”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy.1967 View Post
    My wife is the one who suggested that I start a collection of watches which I’m just about to do. She has decided to buy me my next watch and when I said I wouldn’t mind doing 3-4 watches in a collection she said 4 wasn’t enough for a decent collection and wants me to re-consider. Good women are hard to come by..lol
    this could be a tactic to allow her to pursue her own collection of watches/shoes/bags/diamonds etc

Master
    The ‘management’ doesn’t care. Says they only tell the time. Which is true.

Craftsman
    My partner thinks I talk to much about watches.
    But she was very happy trying on a couple of Rolex's yesterday!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Before buying watches I used to mainly buy TV's and home cinema kit, as well as other consumer electronics that ended up without much inherent value when I was finished with it, so my wife likes the idea that watches at least retain some value over time.

She does like the look of some of them, the BLNR especially, but she wouldn't wear any of them though, she finds them too big. She's worn a ladies Aquaracer for years and doesn't feel the need for anything else, she'd rather buy jewellery or clothes though she's no label junkie and doesn't buy designer.

Craftsman
    wife never really "loved" my watches until I got my PAM... She seems non-plussed about my incoming Rolex but I'm sure she'll change her mind once she see's it in the flesh!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy.1967 View Post
    Jeez!! You lucky sod!!

Mine just says they are all the same and just tell the time... women eh?!

she pays attention to my purchases because she seems to think she can balance the spending with Handbag purchases.

Then we were in a US airport and she noticed the Milgauss I own is $8000.

so I've decided to keep all purchases quiet from here on in !

I asked her what watch she wanted, she chose a beautiful quartz Armani number at 15mm across, and she wears it about 30% of the time.

I insured her on my German sportscar, but in all honesty she doesn't drive it, perhaps twice a year..

? perfect wife

The only one she has ever actually said she likes is my Pogue... I was going to put it on SC and she convinced me not to!

Craftsman
    Deeply ambivalent, but tolerant ... most of the time!

Master

Not a clue!

My wife hasn’t got a clue what they are worth or even what they are?!
    She has had quite a few Rolex etc but she genuinly prefers a diamond bezel Tag to any of the Rolex?

She loves a bit of what I would call bling when it comes to watches!?
    She didn’t see the interest in Subs even though I’ve had a few she never mentions them?
    She knows roughly what watches I would like to own I think?
    One thing that did get us talking about watches was whilst we were in Greece as I saw loads of Rolex on the plane and even at the hotel? It was a 5* hotel but there were APs and Subs everywhere even BLNR and Hulks but when we went into Hersonisos we saw tonnes of fakes of all levels of quality so soon realised all the watches we had caught glimpses of except maybe a couple on the plane were fake!!!!!
    Does answer the question asked a few times when people have been too frightened of wearing their Rolex etc on holiday due to fear of theft but I think Crete might be the one place where you could wear one as everyone would think it was fake anyway 🤣🤣👍🏻
    I opted to leave all my top end watches at home(only a couple left anyway😢) and wore my fatherly Seiko diver!!

Anyway it got us talking about watches a little!

Chris

Journeyman
    My wife couldn't care less about my watches or watches in general.

Master
    My missus tolerates my hobby/collection and strangely doesn’t give me grief about what they cost. On more than one occasion she’s told me I can’t ever sell my 2254 Seamaster which is as close to a compliment I’m ever likely to receive!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    My missus tolerates my hobby/collection and strangely doesn’t give me grief about what they cost. On more than one occasion she’s told me I can’t ever sell my 2254 Seamaster which is as close to a compliment I’m ever likely to receive!
    She's a keeper.

Lynn has bought me quite a few of my watches. She also has a fair few of her own.

Here's just a few of them

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    My OH likes asking me why someone so interested in watches is never on time