closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC service in London

IWC service in London

Hello all,

Anyone have any recommendations as to where I can get my Aquatimer serviced ? It's also acquired a few scratches over the years, can these be polished out ?

Cheers,

Talat

Re: IWC service in London

Welcome.
    Take it to an IWC Authorised Dealer (AD) who will arrange for a service, polishing etc. Most scratches can be polished out, although it does mean removing a layer of metal from the case.

If you mean an independent sevice (IE: not by IWC), then I don't know of anyone in London. I'm sure Ryte Time http://www.rytetimewatchrepairs.co.uk/home.html could oblige and they have a good reputation.

Many thanks - I'll see if I can get quotes from both :)

Master

Send it to Richemont, who own and import IWCs, if you want.

RIS
    PO Box 34210
    London NW5 3BZ

First, they will return the box you sent it in, then they will issue an estimate. However, they're not quick. The queue from estimate to fix was about about 24 weeks the last time I asked.

Their phone number is 02072905125.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker
    Send it to Richemont, who own and import IWCs, if you want.

RIS
    PO Box 34210
    London NW5 3BZ

First, they will return the box you sent it in, then they will issue an estimate. However, they're not quick. The queue from estimate to fix was about about 24 weeks the last time I asked.

Their phone number is 02072905125.
    Yes - I have used them and I was very unhappy with their leisurely approach to a routine service.

Apprentice

Unhappy RIS Service Centre: Terrible Experience, do not use them!

Just had a bad experience with RIS the IWC Service Centre in London.

I very recently bought a Big Pilot 5002 "Transitional" (circa 2005), it has the higher beat 21,600bph Cal. 51110 movement. This was a watch I wanted for my collection and I purchased it from a chap in Denmark. The watch required servicing which was quite normal and as a watchmaker myself I was happy to do this but on examination it required a few components within the auto assembly (rotor axle, roller jewel pivots) that I did not have access to. So I took the watch to Berry's jewellers in Windsor for them to send to IWC to perform a service. The estimate report came back and they quoted £700 but also that the "dial" was peeling and was oxidised, they said it was necessary to replace the dial at an extra cost of £390. Total £1,090.
    I told them I did not wish for the dial to be changed as it is part of its history & heritage. I had already examined this watch and had detected no issue with the dial at all. They refused to service the watch without also replacing the dial, so I had it returned with nothing being done. It took them over 2 weeks to send the watch back to Berry's and I collected it yesterday. After a 64 mile round trip (2x journeys to Windsor) and all my time, I was back to square one. Oh and Berrys expected me to then pay them £25 for this.

Having thought I must of missed something when I first examined the watch, I took another look this morning and removed the dial. I can categorically tell you that I have examined the dial under a 10x loupe and there is NO sign of peeling or oxidisation what so ever! I am furious with the blatant con to try to extract another £390 on top of the already very hefty price for a service of £700. £700 is expensive for a service of a non complicated movement, so to pay them £1,090 was just not acceptable.

RIS you should be named and shamed and I will be taking this further! I just so happen to have a distant family member on the board for Richemont, so I will be sure to make him aware of this!
    Last edited by Neils; 11th March 2020 at 11:35.

Master
    Google 'Richemont service woes' etc and you'll find plenty. It's a fairly common consideration on here. I'm too scared by these sorts of stories to contemplate a JLC, for example.

Master
    I’m pretty sure watchfinder are an accredited iwc repairer, maybe try them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    I’m pretty sure watchfinder are an accredited iwc repairer, maybe try them?
    WF are Richemont owned though, so it will probably just go to them which may or may not be catastrophic. If it stayed in-house at WF with parts availability, you might fare better, won't be cheap though.

For an indy, try Christian https://watchguy.co.uk/, he may be able to help. You could also try Sean Yates at https://watchrepair.expert/. He's on the forum too.

**edit - sorry, missed the location in London request.

***Edit - And seemingly missed the age of the thread - thanks verv.
    Last edited by Gomers; 12th March 2020 at 13:21.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    this thread is from 2010.

Master
    Homer - doh moment !

Apprentice

RIS Service Centre: Terrible Experience, do not use them!

I very recently bought a Big Pilot 5002 "Transitional" (circa 2005), it has the higher beat 21,600bph Cal. 51110 movement. This was a watch I wanted for my collection and I purchased it from a chap in Denmark. The watch required servicing which was quite normal and as a watchmaker myself I was happy to do this but on examination it required a few components within the auto assembly (rotor axle, roller jewel pivots) that I did not have access to. So I took the watch to Berry's jewellers in Windsor for them to send to IWC to perform a service. The estimate report came back and they quoted £700 but also that the "dial" was peeling and was oxidised, they said it was necessary to replace the dial at an extra cost of £390. Total £1,090.
    I told them I did not wish for the dial to be changed as it is part of its history & heritage. I had already examined this watch and had detected no issue with the dial at all. They refused to service the watch without also replacing the dial, so I had it returned with nothing being done. It took them over 2 weeks to send the watch back to Berry's and I collected it yesterday. After a 64 mile round trip (2x journeys to Windsor) and all my time, I was back to square one. Oh and Berrys expected me to then pay them £25 for this.

Having thought I must of missed something when I first examined the watch, I took another look this morning and removed the dial. I can categorically tell you that I have examined the dial under a 10x loupe and there is NO sign of peeling or oxidisation what so ever! I am furious with the blatant con to try to extract another £390 on top of the already very hefty price for a service of £700. £700 is expensive for a service of a non complicated movement, so to pay them £1,090 was just not acceptable.

RIS you should be named and shamed and I will be taking this further! I just so happen to have a distant family member on the board for Richemont, so I will be sure to make him aware of this!

Quote Originally Posted by Neils View Post

Hasn't your distant family member been able to resolve this for you?
    I can almost guarantee that multiple postings here won't make any difference.