closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Tudor Blackbay GMT

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Thanks dave.pretty run of the mill stuff then and nothing fancy.This is one of the differences between rolex and tudor.Can't expect glidelock at this price point.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    Yes. Well exectuted, taut, but simple and unadorned. It is one of the differences, but Rolex do not do glidelock on most things, and you're right, the price differential precludes it.

I have just re-measured the clasp. The removable links are about 10.3mm from pin to the same pin on the next link.
    The adjustment holes are 2.8mm apart.
    So, your adjustment can go
    0, 2.8mm, 5.6mm / / 7.7mm, 10.3mm

So the scale is continuous, a position less 2 adjustments holes is actually shorter than removing a link and being at the other end of adjustment.

Dave

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Mine is from DMR
    Ahhh should receive mine soon then!

Congrats on the new GMT and thanks for sharing the pics and info - most useful.

Hard to tell from the pics but would you say the GMT side profile is the same thickness as the regular BB or has it increased a little?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    would you say the GMT side profile is the same thickness as the regular BB or has it increased a little?
    Identical. Really

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Identical. Really
    That's good news, thanks Dave.

Here you go

BB Blue on top, and BB GMT below with raised crown design.

On the right, the red arrow marks the centre adjustment, and the two other lines are the only micro-adjustment on the clasp.
    On the left you see the distance movement that is needed to remove a whole link.
    This is why I am not totally sure all lengths can be adjusted for.
    Dave
    So is that an optical illusion? The lug to lug looks longer on the gmt? A bit like the famous Jastrow illusion?

No, the gmt is closer. So it looks larger

No, the gmt is closer. So it looks larger
    Ah I thought one was atop the other. So its just the Father Ted illusion then :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXypyrutq_M

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Thanks dave.pretty run of the mill stuff then and nothing fancy.This is one of the differences between rolex and tudor.Can't expect glidelock at this price point.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    The Pelagos has a glidelock style clasp that is excellent though. And not much difference in price-point
    Last edited by jmitch; 6th June 2018 at 14:27.

Lol people are flipping them before I even got the call to buy it. Ah WISsyndrome

I’m off to York next weekend so going to put my name down and leave deposit on one of these, my perfect watch, Tudor quality, with a date, gmt function, multi-coloured bezel and the rivet bracelet...
    Last edited by Martylaa; 7th June 2018 at 17:31.

Interesting discussion - the bracelet doesn't work for me, but on the straps and NATO much nicer. Be interesting to see how long term ownership is!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Interesting discussion - the bracelet doesn't work for me, but on the straps and NATO much nicer. Be interesting to see how long term ownership is!
    Same for me. Hope they have my strap in when I pick mine up!

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Tudor woven straps are sublime. Easily the nicest fabric straps I have handled.
    I was thinking of ordering the blue strap with red stripe as an extra. No idea how much they charge for it as an extra though.

So, the watch, and a few observations. I have been able to compare it to a BB Blue (in shop), a 76100 (my own) and also my own Pelagos.

With an older uncle

Dave
    Great write up and the new BB GMT looks beautiful, BUT.......... that 76100 with the lollipop is just gorgeous!

I have to face the facts my watch interests has grown to a point where I'm a vintage lover through and through..

Think we need a Bristol/South West get together now

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    The Tudor woven straps are sublime. Easily the nicest fabric straps I have handled.
    I was thinking of ordering the blue strap with red stripe as an extra. No idea how much they charge for it as an extra though.
    I was told approx £100.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Unfortunately, that'll be a black strap with the red stripe, not blue.........
    I put a normal BB Blue Nato on, and I think it looks great.
    Also I got the new Crafter Blue BB rubber in red-blue this morning, which also looks fantastic.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    I was told approx £100.

I don’t think so. Think it’s more expensive than £100

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Ouch. I have a brown leather strap on order (not Tudor!) that I will try the GMT on. I'm actually finding the bracelet quite comfortable but I had a BB Red on a similar strap and it looked great.

Still interested to understand how easy the bracelet is to get off. The BB was a pig. Oh for the love of drilled lugs...

Ouch. I have a brown leather strap on order (not Tudor!) that I will try the GMT on. I'm actually finding the bracelet quite comfortable but I had a BB Red on a similar strap and it looked great.

Still interested to understand how easy the bracelet is to get off. The BB was a pig. Oh for the love of drilled lugs...

The B.B. bracelet is easy to get off. I had a problem getting mine off with a springbar tool but it was a crap springbar tool. A quick £20 purchase of a Bergeon tool and it’s a cinch

Master
    The B.B. bracelet is easy to get off. I had a problem getting mine off with a springbar tool but it was a crap springbar tool. A quick £20 purchase of a Bergeon tool and it’s a cinch
    Excuse the cheek but which Bergeon do you have? They have quite a number to choose from.

Excuse the cheek but which Bergeon do you have? They have quite a number to choose from.

I don’t know tbh. It’s double ended - one end forked for springbars and other end just a bar for drilled lug holes. Packaging long ago recycled

Master
    I don’t know tbh. It’s double ended - one end forked for springbars and other end just a bar for drilled lug holes. Packaging long ago recycled
    Thanks anyway. Will have a look on the interweb... The last thing I want is to scratch the lugs trying to get the bracelet off.

Craftsman
    will be interested to see what leather straps / buckles people find suit it . Mines hopefully arriving next month on a bracelet, but I do think it looks great on leather . Anyone know how much the genuine tudor leather is ?

Master
    I'm waiting on mine coming into Ernest Jones, ordered in a Scottish branch, but coming from an English branch due the Scottish branch not stocking them

I have ordered mine on the bracelet, but added the Tudor leather and buckle, as it looks a lot better to me on their brown leather in the photo's, but still wanted the bracelet.

Cheers

Kevin

Master
    I was told approx £100.
    I went to the Tudor launch event in Manchester on Weds (great food and cocktails) and was told the fabric straps are over £200. I commented that this is more than Omega charges for its nato straps and then was invited to appreciate the quality of the Tudor version. Still, it's a fair whack for what it is vs the aftermarket.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    £200.
    que?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Tried one of these on yesterday. I didn’t like it at all from the photos, but in person it’s an absolute stunner!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I went to the Tudor launch event in Manchester on Weds (great food and cocktails) and was told the fabric straps are over £200. I commented that this is more than Omega charges for its nato straps and then was invited to appreciate the quality of the Tudor version. Still, it's a fair whack for what it is vs the aftermarket.

Ant
    That is a chunk. I think an Erika's MN strap could work nicely.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    That is a chunk. I think an Erika's MN strap could work nicely.
    Me too, especially this one the Trident MN (picture lifted from her own site)

Me too, especially this one the Trident MN (picture lifted from her own site)

Great minds, that's the very same strap I had in mind for this watch. Should suit it well I think.

My AD tells me they are £147.76.
    and if you are ordering separately, they are not in until July

Dave

Ps - not £200 but still too much

My AD tells me they are £147.76.
    and if you are ordering separately, they are not in until July

Dave

Ps - not £200 but still too much
    Would consider £150 for the leather with deployant but not the NATO

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Great minds, that's the very same strap I had in mind for this watch. Should suit it well I think.

That's the one. Should be perfect. Hopefully she'll make a black one with a gold stripe to go with the BB58 too!

Apprentice
    So I just picked up my BB GMT, the first to arrive at the Bristol Cribbs Fraser Hart.
    Sales guy was nice, and knowledgable.
    He stated that the BB58 is the FH group buyer's favourite watch, but would only be available from July at earliest, and that he anticipated they woult not have "stock" GMTs for a long time yet, the waiting list is getting added to daily, with no more deliveries scheduled, so getting longer. It is currently twice as long as the schedule of deliveries currently planned (whatever than meant).

So, the watch, and a few observations. I have been able to compare it to a BB Blue (in shop), a 76100 (my own) and also my own Pelagos.

Firstly, some absolute observations, having got it home and immediately put it on a BB Blue Nato..

• For me, the colours are a home run. The blue is delightfully dark and understated, the red similarly restrained and non-shouty. They look rich and traditional.
    • The satin bezel is a good look, as is the satin dial.
    • I like the non-coloured crown tube, I have always found this feature on the standard BBs a little bit gimmicky for me.
    • On the bracelet it is heavier than I thought it would be. But most of the weight is in that, so on Nato it is very comfy.
    • The bracelet has 3 adjustment positions, and the links are screwed for adjustment. It is well made and free from slack, but with the link lengths it may lack sufficient adjustment for perfect fit. I am not sure, as I elected not to size the bracelet at all.
    • The lume is excellent, with the proviso that there is less area of it than you may think (see later)
    • The hands are just as long as they should be on the dial, with mins and secs touching the outer track, and the GMT extending beyond that towards the bezel scale
    • The 48-click bezel is positive in movement, and stiff enough to avoid accidental knocking. The grip edge is quite slim compared to the Pelagos.
    • I like the case chamfers, but perhaps would have prefered them to be the only part of the case to be polished, but the sides are too. The case finishing between the lugs is lovely, and the inside angle of the lugs is not as sharp as it is on my Pelagos (which is dangerously so).
    • I do like the absence of cyclops on the date.
    • The dial print detail is excellent, and very crisp.
    • It sits perfectly on the BB Blue Nato
    • Interestingly, the rose logo on the crown is raised, but on all the other BBs it is recessed and colour-filled.

Some comparative note for those that have a BB - I was comparing it to my preferred colour, the blue.

• This is a BB. The case is, as far as the eye can tell, exactly the same as the other BBs, in terms of overal size, but there are some interesting differences that I noted inside that case.
    • The edge of the crystal on the GMT is totally different, looking like it has an old-fashoned polished tension ring on the inside of the crystal edge, whereas the BB Blue has a very straight brushed rehaut like you see in all sapphire modern divers. The GMT's detail serves to add a very subtle vintage feel by complicating this edge.
    • The dial indices are smaller. You have to look hard, but the triangles are shorter, and the circular indices smaller than a normal BB.
    • And also the hands are thinner, with thinner lume centre sections, for all hands except the second hand.
    • The "slab" side on this is indeed exactly the same depth as the pelagos, 8,0mm
    • The overall watch depth is 0,3mm thicker at 14,2mm than the Pelagos, but the crystal edge extends 1.3mm more than the Ti cousin, making the case and bezel depth thinner on the BB.

So, after 3 hours of ownership, would I change anything?

Yes.
    I would have brushed the case sides, and I would have drilled the lugs, but I understand why neither have been done.

Me and this watch are going to be firm friends.

With an older uncle

First moments on the wrist, sorry about the camera shake

Note how the bezel blue is darker than the BB Blue, less glossy and less metallic. Look at the crystal edge too around 1-2 o'clock. Steps on the left, slab on the right. Slenderness of hands, smaller indices.

And finally on the dark blue Nato that I think suits it perfectly

Dave
    So you’re the guy the first Pepsi went to! Congrats!

Yep

Still wearing it on this

Crafter Blue 2 colour rubber for Black Bay (the red underneath is mostly not visible in this shot).
    I have to say the downward angle of this rubber is a little too much for me, meaning the strap is either loose or digs into the inside edge of my wrist a little.
    The endfit is good (only took me 10mins, ), but I think it is more likely to remain on the blue Tudor Nato that I already own (see above).

Dave

Banned
    Collected mine today, very happy with it.
    Larger than I expected, size ways it seems between the Rolex sub and the sd 43.
    Nicer case shape than the sub c it’s also deeper and a little heavier.
    I just wish the bracelet had the glidelock which is fantastic.
    Last edited by Sahara; 9th June 2018 at 21:07.

Thanks anyway. Will have a look on the interweb... The last thing I want is to scratch the lugs trying to get the bracelet off.

Try a 6767 or 6111.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Try a 6767 or 6111.
    Thanks. Ended up bying a 6767 s/f. Seems exceptionally well made and should do the trick.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Collected mine today, very happy with it.
    Larger than I expected, size ways it seems between the Rolex sub and the sd 43.
    Nicer case shape than the sub c it’s also deeper and a little heavier.
    I just wish the bracelet had the glidelock which is fantastic.
    I must say this is a great watch, loving it. Perfect size, anyone considering one I would recommend.
    Date but no cyclops, gmt, long power reserve. Rivet bracelet not noticeable when wearing.
    At this price point there’s not a watch I can think of that I would prefer.
    This is now my main watch, better than my sub and SMP.
    Only thing you may need to consider is trying one on if possible before you purchase as it is a large watch.

Good to see these are in the wild and I think Sweets blue nato looks awesome.
    My local Goldsmiths are struggling to get any in but had a long chat the other day and was told that all Tudor models (with the exception of the rubber Pelegos) no longer come with a free alternative strap since the start of June, so only the current stock will have that extra perk, shame.
    I am sixth on the list and will probably miss the first round but she said she would still call me to come in and have a look at the first batch they get. She seemed genuinely annoyed that head office had sent out their first batch but her store had not got even one.

Blog Entries
    What is the uk MRP on steel for this please?

2790 I think
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

2790 on steel. The bb58 is 2560

Tudor Blackbay GMT

Quote Originally Posted by You Only Live Twice View Post
    Good to see these are in the wild and I think Sweets blue nato looks awesome.
    My local Goldsmiths are struggling to get any in but had a long chat the other day and was told that all Tudor models (with the exception of the rubber Pelegos) no longer come with a free alternative strap since the start of June, so only the current stock will have that extra perk, shame.
    I am sixth on the list and will probably miss the first round but she said she would still call me to come in and have a look at the first batch they get. She seemed genuinely annoyed that head office had sent out their first batch but her store had not got even one.
    Do Tudor send direct to the AD? Or do they send a large number to goldsmiths HQ and then head office at goldsmiths choose which stores to send to? Strangely the girl in my store didn’t know the answer to this.

I know of at least a couple of people who have had theirs from goldsmiths but Glasgow have received none.

Think the denim nato that came with the black bay chrono would look good on it as an option

I know of at least a couple of people who have had theirs from goldsmiths but Glasgow have received none.
    Glasgow WoS have had some, but obviously all gone to early list places. Bit peeved about that as I spoke to them just after it was released.

Next lot due July / August according to them

Here’s the Tudor denim nato. Think it would be a good option

Master
    Do Tudor send direct to the AD? Or do they send a large number to goldsmiths HQ and then head office at goldsmiths choose which stores to send to? Strangely the girl in my store didn’t know the answer to this.

Not sure re: Tudor, but Omega send to the HQ of the AD and they then distribute to the individual retail outlets. So the local AD can request watches from the central allocation.

Ant

Not sure re: Tudor, but Omega send to the HQ of the AD and they then distribute to the individual retail outlets. So the local AD can request watches from the central allocation.

Ant
    That’s what I thought. Getting bit irritated with the Goldsmiths branch now as all I get from them is “we know nothing and have had no dates”. Surely if their HQ have them the they could be more proactive instead of reactive and just phone and ask - “not company policy” apparently. Couldn’t make it up.