closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waterproof coat recommendation

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Bumping this thread as I'm in the market for a new waterproof coat too and there appear to be a lot of experts here.

Is Arcteryx worth the premium they charge? Is there that much difference between a €400 Arcteryx and a €120 Berghaus?

The jacket will be used a hell of a lot so I want it to be very high quality. I don't mind paying for this but at the same time I don't want to be paying a massive brand premium. I don't care about brand names, just want a quality product that will last.
    Yes, easily.

I've had a few Arcteryx jackets (and other things) and can say without a doubt, it will last for years, they even offer a lifetime guarantee, if there's a problem, you send it back to them and they fix it, even in 10 years time.

One of the big differences between Arcteryx and other brands, is that they have a team of QA technicians who go out to China whilst their products are being manufactured to make sure that every item is made perfectly, and you can tell.

Craftsman
    That's really helpful Tokyo Tokei, thanks!

I'll be using the jacket for general use rather than serious mountaineering. I do a lot of hiking in the west of Ireland and I walk 10k a day commuting to and from work - that's the main use the jacket would be put to, so the SV may well be overkill.

Craftsman
    That's really helpful Tokyo Tokei, thanks!

I'll be using the jacket for general use rather than serious mountaineering. I do a lot of hiking in the west of Ireland and I walk 10k a day commuting to and from work - that's the main use the jacket would be put to, so the SV may well be overkill.
    The Beta SL is probably ok then, try www.trekitt.co.uk I've bought from them and they have a good sale on at the moment, if you're quick.

I just bought a Marmot Minimalist from SportPursuit for £90, which is a bargain. Good quality waterproof Goretex Paclite shell with taped seams, pit zips for cooling etc. There is a video clip on YouTube of a guy testing it under a waterfall in Canada in winter. He stays dry.

Paramo every time.

More expensive than the original OP's budget but... you pays your money and, IMHO, far better than Goretex products. Quieter, warmer, excellent features including hem skirts to reduce water running onto trousers. Softer as well, and with superior wind and waterproofing. Snags and holes do not have any effect on the performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’m looking for something similar myself. Anyone any experience of Rohan Atlas/Ascent?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    I’m looking for something similar myself. Anyone any experience of Rohan Atlas/Ascent?
    Good if you buy in the Rohan Souk (Always worth a look as most come up at half price)

https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-bargain...ocode=05112C26

Master
    An Alpha SV is as much an overkill as a seadweller is to a swimmer but who cares mines kept me dry for years and when this dies I’ll be getting another, but that’s a long way from now. I’ve an atom Sv to go under it when it’s really cold to.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Is Arcteryx worth the premium they charge? Is there that much difference between a €400 Arcteryx and a €120.
    Yes!

I spend my life in the mountains and use Arcteryx outerwear exclusively (except down gear). It does last longer, it's designed better, and it works better. My Alpha SV is the only jacket that keeps me dry in 7hrs of Welsh downpour but doesn't wet out with condensation either. Honestly I do not rate Paramo at all, but it has its die hard loyalists.

For high altitude/ polar I don't bother with the Alpha SV because it never rains up there, so I use their excellent soft shells and Atom jackets etc.

Honestly you won't regret it. Maybe initially you'll wince a bit, but when it's still going well in 4years time you'll know it was a good call.

Also, Mountain Guides get discount from all of the manufacturers. Many of them choose to wear a lot of Arc'teryx. That's quite an endorsement.

They are expensive, but I've noticed in several Sport Pursuit sales they've been half price. The SL versions don't last as long and aren't as waterproof, which is to be expected compared to the SV, but I'd say be weary of expecting to get many years of daily beating from an SL (Super Light). The SV is a proper burly Gore Tex.

Finally, make sure you wash it, it makes a huge difference to how water repellant it is.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Good if you buy in the Rohan Souk (Always worth a look as most come up at half price)

https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-bargain...ocode=05112C26
    Thank you. Great tip.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    The Beta SL is probably ok then, try www.trekitt.co.uk I've bought from them and they have a good sale on at the moment, if you're quick.
    Thanks to your link, I received my Theta AR jacket this morning from Trekitt and I'm thrilled with it! Got it in the sale reduced from £500 to £300, Trekitt were extremely quick dispatching, will definitely use them again.

I took a bit of a gamble going with an S when I'm usually an M (6ft2 and 76kg) but the size guide on their site was correct and the S fits perfectly, with room to layer. The quality of the jacket is really excellent, I can see and feel the difference between it and my much cheaper GoreTex jacket. It's absolutely pouring down here today so it'll get it's maiden voyage on the walk home this evening!

Craftsman
    Thanks to your link, I received my Theta AR jacket this morning from Trekitt and I'm thrilled with it! Got it in the sale reduced from £500 to £300, Trekitt were extremely quick dispatching, will definitely use them again.

I took a bit of a gamble going with an S when I'm usually an M (6ft2 and 76kg) but the size guide on their site was correct and the S fits perfectly, with room to layer. The quality of the jacket is really excellent, I can see and feel the difference between it and my much cheaper GoreTex jacket. It's absolutely pouring down here today so it'll get it's maiden voyage on the walk home this evening!
    Fantastic, I'm really pleased it worked out. I should have mentioned that Arcteryx sizes are crazy, some things I'm a medium (6"1 96KG) some things I'm a large, but glad you got there, and a great jacket.

Reading this thread with interest as my Rab 3 layer eVent jacket is starting to die after around 6 years of moderate use, so looking at the Arc'teryx range for a replacement.

There is some really helpful and useful video information on Trekitt's YouTube channel for those who are interested. 'Which Outer Sheel' video is linked below, from which you can obviously find others if you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=-nTR8v21dNQ

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    I very recent bought one of these which would highly recommend for an all round jacket great price too on the dark navy, the black is more of a dark grey rather than a true Black.

https://www.kathmandu.co.uk/mens/jac...jacket-v4.html
    Last edited by the big fella; 25th August 2018 at 00:28.

PSA: Trekitt have 40% off Arc'teryx at the moment if you are quick https://www.trekitt.co.uk/arcteryx/i...e?discount=39&

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    PSA: Trekitt have 40% off Arc'teryx at the moment if you are quick https://www.trekitt.co.uk/arcteryx/i...e?discount=39&
    The Beta AR jacket they have at a great price is excellent. Mine gave up after 12 years of use. The use included me wearing it over motorcycle leather. It kept me dry and cosy even in hard rain coming at me 80 mph.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    The Beta AR jacket they have at a great price is excellent. Mine gave up after 12 years of use. The use included me wearing it over motorcycle leather. It kept me dry and cosy even in hard rain coming at me 80 mph.
    Ooo very tempted. How suitable is it for temperatures between 5 and-5 degrees C ? Or is it purely wind and rain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Ooo very tempted. How suitable is it for temperatures between 5 and-5 degrees C ? Or is it purely wind and rain?

It's just a plain shell with no insulation. It's designed for layering and it's a roomier fit than basic Arcteryx trim fit, so enough room for even a mc leather jacket underneath.

For 5 to -5 there's the Atom jacket on sale too. I'm nearly in love with my Atom AR (All Round). The one on sale is Atom LT (Lightweight), ought to be great for fiveish. Atom will repel small showers, but for rain needs to be coupled with a rain shell like Beta.

Craftsman

Waterproof coat recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    It's just a plain shell with no insulation. It's designed for layering and it's a roomier fit than basic Arcteryx trim fit, so enough room for even a mc leather jacket underneath.

For 5 to -5 there's the Atom jacket on sale too. I'm nearly in love with my Atom AR (All Round). The one on sale is Atom LT (Lightweight), ought to be great for fiveish. Atom will repel small showers, but for rain needs to be coupled with a rain shell like Beta.

Brilliant. Thanks for the advice. I watch my boys cycle racing every weekend in all weathers and feeling uncomfortably cold is getting old. At the same time I do need something hard wearing rather than an outdoor pillow

Thanks so much for your time and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Brilliant. Thanks for the advice. I watch my boys cycle racing every weekend in all weathers and feeling uncomfortably cold is getting old. At the same time I do need something hard wearing rather than an outdoor pillow

Thanks so much for your time and advice!

Glad if was able to be helpful. I too can't see a good reason to be uncomfortable when all you need is clothes suited to the weather.

Looking at the sale more closely there's also a Beta LT, which would be a trim fit jacket. So if you're a slim fit type guy it might be better than the AR. If you're going for a puffy jacket it may be worth to mention that the Atom sports a synthetic insulation whereas the Cerium is a down jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Folks

I'm after a new waterproof coat to wear for walking and general everyday wear. I'm looking for something very breathable as I'm a sweaty soul and can get as wet from the inside as from the rain. For this reason I want it to offer as little insulation / warmth as possible. I can add warmth with layers of other stuff. Basically I'm after an old fashioned cagoul (sp?) (but zip up not over the head) with modern 'technical' performance.

Your thoughts / experiences / recommendations would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
    If you can stretch your budget it works out better in the long run as a cheap jacket will not last.
    The best balance of Waterproof/breathability is not Gore-Tex its Polartec Neoshell. If you perspire a lot then Neoshell is your best option. There are some great deals online at the moment for some of last years jackets in this material. Some other options would be Ventile or something from Buffalo. Ventile is a great material. Not waterproof but water resistant. Also has some good windproof properties too.

A belated thank you to dickdutch and Toyko Tokei for the Trekit recommendation - based on this thread I ordered an Arcteryx Theta AR and it's excellent (as was the service from Trekkit). Much obliged!
    Last edited by Tidybeard; 22nd September 2018 at 22:27.

Does anyone still make the pac-a-Mac we all had at school? You know, that folded into its own front pocket? That coupled with a woolly jumper saw me through every winter until I was about 12

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    A belated thank you to dickdutch and Toyko Tokei for the Trekit recommendation - based on this thread I ordered an Arcteryx Theta AR and it's excellent (as was the service from Trekkit). Much obliged!
    Glad you're pleased.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Does anyone still make the pac-a-Mac we all had at school? You know, that folded into its own front pocket? That coupled with a woolly jumper saw me through every winter until I was about 12

Quite a few companies do them ranging from the high end to the cheap and cheerful. How much are you looking to spend?