closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster Pre Moon

Master

Omega Speedmaster Pre Moon

Hi,

I had an interesting chat with one of my colleagues last week about a watch he had inherited from his late grandfather. I said I'd do the decent thing and ask the learned folk of TZ if they are able to shed any light on the model as I know relatively little of the brand.
    To avoid this turning or being perceived as a stealth sales thread and because it is not even my watch it may be prudent to PM the details.
    Is there anybody here who might be able to help out or that I should seek please?

Thanks all

He must know something about it as it's not exactly got 'pre-moon' written on the back!

Photos?

If it's an early 1960s Speedmaster Darren at Vintage Speedmaster is your man.

There are a lot of people on here also with a lot of knowledge, pre-professional, pre-moon etc

This link is the bible on such things:

http://speedmaster101.com

Master
    Thanks, much appreciated.

I did not want to post pictures although I can do as I don't want the thread to be mistaken for a sales post. He has been told it is a Pre Moon watch but asked me as he is aware I like watches. I don't think there's much harm in asking far and wide for any info but the link to Speedmaster101 might help a bit.

Pictures would be good; there’s a lot of knowledge about old Speedmaster’s on here and I know from experience* what a minefield it can be.

*I had a friend ask me to sell his for him last year. He’d bought it new in 1964. It was an interesting process and I learned quite a bit whilst selling it.

Have a look at this, the guy who runs speedmaster101 goes through his Speedmaster collection including pre-moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqyvfaGCfSo

Master
    Thank you all again. I've pointed him in the direction of speedmaster101 and he's having a detailed look this evening. In the meantime I'll try to get some pictures up here for you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    In the meantime I'll try to get some pictures up here for you all.
    Good, I don't know why anyone would think it a stealth sales post when you've got almost 1,700 posts to your name.

These threads often turn up interesting info and are usually a cracking read. Plus some interesting photos too, I hope! :)

Google would have been my first port of call? In a nutshell, a decent original pre moon £5-£20k.
    Happy days for your colleague.

Master
    I’m struggling getting the images to,appear. There is an attachment he sent me but I cannot seem to separate the images and save them on the iPad. These things frustrate the hell out of me 😃

Master
    Even a single pic may be enough for those of us who like these things to tell you the model as there are very subtle differences between the models throughout the 60s up to the end of the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    Have a look at this, the guy who runs speedmaster101 goes through his Speedmaster collection including pre-moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqyvfaGCfSo
    Thanks for the link to that video; enjoyed it a lot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Even a single pic may be enough for those of us who like these things to tell you the model as there are very subtle differences between the models throughout the 60s up to the end of the 1970s.
    I’ll give it a shot from my pc at work in the morning. It appears to have been identified as a 105 003 65 with 321 cal movement. Serial starts 2544 and the bracelet is 0135. According to the speedmaster101 my colleague should be grinning from ear to ear!

Master
    I’ll give it a shot from my pc at work in the morning. It appears to have been identified as a 105 003 65 with 321 cal movement. Serial starts 2544 and the bracelet is 0135. According to the speedmaster101 my colleague should be grinning from ear to ear!
    If it is then it'll look like this. I have a 105.003-65 on a 22.8m serial, the serial you mention dates to late 1967/early '68 by the way, the model name is deceptive, they were delivered up to 1969. The bracelet will be a 1035, not 0135. Mine:

Last edited by Padders; 29th May 2018 at 21:17.

That is a really nice looking watch

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    If it is then it'll look like this. I have a 105.003-65 on a 22.8m serial, the serial you mention dates to late 1967/early '68 by the way, the model name is deceptive, they were delivered up to 1969. The bracelet will be a 1035, not 0135. Mine:

That's a lovely example in great condition. Here's a wrist shot of mine.

Master
    Very nice too! We are overrun with Ed Whites on here it seems lol.

pictures of the one I sold. It had been well looked after and serviced by Omega on a number of occasions hence the missing DON insert, replacement hands and even a later movement!

Another pre-moon Speedmaster: 145-012 67 (please forgive the missing chrono pusher, it's somewhere underneath the sofa)

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Pictures would be nice, like many other vintage watches, everything is in the details with Pre-moon Speedmasters, condition and parts originality can have a huge impact on value.

Here's another reference, a 105.012-65

Master
    Sorry for the delay. Had problems trying to get the pictures from the orginals sent to me. Anyway, they are int he attachment so any comments are welcome...

Cheers

Or not as the case may be...

Keep trying Puntsdog!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/897/2...fa36b01c_m.jpg
    https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1748/...5c427cd9_m.jpg
    Last edited by Puntsdog; 31st May 2018 at 13:11.

Sorry for the delay. Had problems trying to get the pictures from the orginals sent to me. Anyway, they are int he attachment so any comments are welcome...

Cheers

Or not as the case may be...

Keep trying Puntsdog!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/897/2...fa36b01c_m.jpg
    Quite difficult to assess the watch because of the low resolution of your pictures, from what I see, the chrono hand is a later replacement (it should be a spear and not a square end) and the reset function pusher is a bit short compared to the other one, maybe it's a replacement part. DON insert is a bit faded but still good, dial looks correct but I would like to see a bigger picture of the indices and hands. Movement pictures would also be nice.

Master
    Just re-visiting this thread and trying to polish up my ability to post images on here... is my colleague lucky, very lucky or does he share my level of luck which is somewhat the polar opposite of the previous options. 😀

Master
    Looks OK, as mentioned above, it should have a spear chrono hand not a flat bottom but that could have been changed years ago. The hand lume isn't wonderful either. I wouldn't personally describe that DON as in 'almost unmarked condition', its certainly attractive but is pretty worn by most standards, almost ghosted. The crown looks like a later 1970s 32 tooth or modern replacement too, so a few parts have been changed. All the same, it's mostly a nice straight watch it seems. The bracelet is valuable and adds 4 figures to the package. Regarding value of the head, I would put it somewhere from Running to Good on the SP101 chart, but closer to the Running end really.

Just re-visiting this thread and trying to polish up my ability to post images on here... is my colleague lucky, very lucky or does he share my level of luck which is somewhat the polar opposite of the previous options. 

Last edited by Padders; 8th December 2019 at 13:25.

Master
    Thanks Padders, that is a helpful insight. I’m not sure my colleague appreciates the nuances of the WIS world, and willl likely squirm at the cost of the spear second hand.
    I did say to him when he first talked with me about it that a bit of investment would go a long way. If it were me I am not sure what I’d do, if it is not worn then there’s not a huge point in having it stashed in a safe but each time I see the pictures I do feel like I am starting to “get it”.

Thanks Padders, that is a helpful insight. I’m not sure my colleague appreciates the nuances of the WIS world, and willl likely squirm at the cost of the spear second hand.
    I did say to him when he first talked with me about it that a bit of investment would go a long way. If it were me I am not sure what I’d do, if it is not worn then there’s not a huge point in having it stashed in a safe but each time I see the pictures I do feel like I am starting to “get it”.
    The spear second hand is available fairly cheaply as a brand new part. I bought brand new hands when I had my Ed White and sent them to Simon Freese who scraped out the new luminova, painted the hands a sort of distressed white and then filled them with his equivalent of tritium.

He is the go to guy for these things, but it would be a lot cheaper than trying to source an original 1960s tritium hand that perfectly matches.

Master
    Thanks for the info, that doesn't sound like a bad option at all. I know he'll appreciate solutions more than problems! I think it his one of his mantras!

As others have said the spear chrono hand would make a big difference especially if you adopted the process that Wallasey Runner went down to retain that vintage look, also if you notice, the tip of the spear chrono hand is also different, larger lume area with shorter tip.

Here’s my 64 Ed White, the case sides don't have any facets like the 63-65 which is apparently a one year only case production.

Last edited by murkeywaters; 8th December 2019 at 14:16.

Omega Speedmaster Pre Moon

Speedmaster101 has just released an updated price table for this month. In the new year, there’ll be a table with 5 (instead of 3) quality classifications, if that is of interest.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 8th December 2019 at 14:39.