closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glasses / spectacles advice

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    A small update from here. My optician has managed to pack my buffalo horn frames so poorly they are now broken . I have started a conversation about what he proposes to do about it but it begs two questions:

1. Does anybody know how easy it is to glue buffalo horn and is it likely to have much chance of success.

2. Any obvious and good value sources for buffalo horn frame? Earlier in the year I recall reading that Cubitts were offering ready-to-wear buffalo horn for about £300ish but I note from their website that it's now bespoke only and starting at about £625 (presumably it was all too good to be true). I found this outfit (https://pennavenueeyewear.com/buffalo-horn) and wonder if there are any others (and preferably within the EU).
    That is so annoying, sorry to hear that. I've got the Lindberg horn and titanium frames, had them about 7 years including three of being bashed and squashed by a toddler and they are still fine. The only problem is in the interim they have increased ridiculously in price so I am also considering where I should go for my next frames. For those prices I would go bespoke as they are not a perfect fit. Otherwise they are the best frames I have had in a lifetime of wearing glasses, light and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    That is so annoying, sorry to hear that. I've got the Lindberg horn and titanium frames, had them about 7 years including three of being bashed and squashed by a toddler and they are still fine. The only problem is in the interim they have increased ridiculously in price so I am also considering where I should go for my next frames. For those prices I would go bespoke as they are not a perfect fit. Otherwise they are the best frames I have had in a lifetime of wearing glasses, light and comfortable.
    I've had my frames for over 10 years so it's somewhat irritating. The response from the optician was "this has never happened before and I took extra care fitting your prescription". A pity you didn't put quite so much effort into fecking packing them properly then.

I remembered that Hackett once did a range of horn frames and I found this online retailer:

https://www.speckyfoureyes.com/1/7682/material/horn

I think I'm going to cut off my existing optician which will mean getting a copy of my prescription (good old GDPR) and probably ordering some frames from the supplier above. I've always liked having a bricks and mortar optician but, as I'm in London less these days, I'm going to have to find one in Berlin that I'm happy with. The thing that annoys me about Cubitts is not just the price hike (obviously £300ish is much more in my comfort zone than £600ish) but also the fact that bespoke-only makes it difficult to complete the process if you don't live around the corner.

There are a few other possibilities I'm in the process of exploring.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I've had my frames for over 10 years so it's somewhat irritating. The response from the optician was "this has never happened before and I took extra care fitting your prescription". A pity you didn't put quite so much effort into fecking packing them properly then.

I remembered that Hackett once did a range of horn frames and I found this online retailer:

https://www.speckyfoureyes.com/1/7682/material/horn

I think I'm going to cut off my existing optician which will mean getting a copy of my prescription (good old GDPR) and probably ordering some frames from the supplier above. I've always liked having a bricks and mortar optician but, as I'm in London less these days, I'm going to have to find one in Berlin that I'm happy with. The thing that annoys me about Cubitts is not just the price hike (obviously £300ish is much more in my comfort zone than £600ish) but also the fact that bespoke-only makes it difficult to complete the process if you don't live around the corner.

There are a few other possibilities I'm in the process of exploring.
    Yes definitely drop the opticians! I always take a card with the prescription on.

I'd be interested in hearing about your other options as you look into it.

Master
    A small update from here. My optician has managed to pack my buffalo horn frames so poorly they are now broken . I have started a conversation about what he proposes to do about it but it begs two questions:

1. Does anybody know how easy it is to glue buffalo horn and is it likely to have much chance of success.

2. Any obvious and good value sources for buffalo horn frame? Earlier in the year I recall reading that Cubitts were offering ready-to-wear buffalo horn for about £300ish but I note from their website that it's now bespoke only and starting at about £625 (presumably it was all too good to be true). I found this outfit (https://pennavenueeyewear.com/buffalo-horn) and wonder if there are any others (and preferably within the EU).
    CB - is it the horn rim itself that has broken or one of the joints? We have a very good repair company and if they can be fixed they can. Let me know and I'll see what I can find out.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    CB - is it the horn rim itself that has broken or one of the joints? We have a very good repair company and if they can be fixed they can. Let me know and I'll see what I can find out.
    It's the frame. I'll try to upload a photo later.

Here they are in happier times:

and now:

Master
    CB - just to confirm, that's a complete break? If so I think they're toast sadly but I'll ask. David

Thank you.

Can anyone recommend a Lindberg stockist around Manchester that won’t charge me a spleen to re-glaze my current glasses? Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a Lindberg stockist around Manchester that won’t charge me a spleen to re-glaze my current glasses? Many thanks!
    Can't any optician do it? I should probably do the same with my Lindberg frames, not buying them again as they seem to have quadrupled in price in the last six years or so!

I presume most can do it, but recommendations will be gratefully received!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Highly recommend Silhouette!

I've worn them for around 11 years now. Gone through 2 pairs in that time. High quality build. Would advise pairing with either Zeiss or Hoya lens. Overall not cheap, each pair came to around £550 but they are worth it, given they are sized to your specific requirements too, not simply 'off the shelf'.
    Will 2nd that, mine are for long distance (tv mainly), not cheap but excellent quality and robust frame. Have ic berlin for reading, again not cheap but excellent frame with no pins on arms so no worries from wear and tear or sitting on them etc.
    Last edited by LRB255; 24th April 2019 at 19:11.

I sell Lindbergs - mainly spirit rimless and NOW acetate. On the whole they're pretty good but yes we do get breakages occasionally. The NOW ones tend to snap across the rims and the rimless come unglued from the lenses. The latter tends to be the same people more than once, usually men to be fair. It must be in the handling as if you flex the joint enough the fancy UV activated glue they use to avoid plugs (like Silhouette) does break. Silhouettes are more durable but a little less neat.
    The end tips and nose pads are designed to be consumables on any frame as they tend to be the part that comes into contact with the sweaty oiks beautiful patients. Any supplier should replace them FOC. Be aware there is more than one material for the nose pads. Some prefer silicone as they are soft but they are sticky. Drives me mad personally so I choose the harder plastic. If the pads keep coming off the metal loop they clip into needs tightening a little, easy with a needle set of pliers.
    Also worth considering are Minima, silhouette as mentioned and some of the Stepper rimless stuff.
    As a retailer (are you an Optician), this is great feedback.

I've been a loyal Silhouette customer for almost 15 years, and looking for a new pair. They haven't really come out with anything new, so looking at alternatives. 3.5 years on, is your feedback above still valid and would you add any other considerations?