closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glasses / spectacles advice

Glasses / spectacles advice

For the last few years I've always bought cheapies online. They are fine, but they are cheapies and this time id like to try something quality, well made and that will last me a long time.
    If I ever go into a high street shop, i struggle to find anything that i like.
    Some brief googling has brought up cubitts, which looks interesting.
    Any other ideas?
    I'm after large lenses, preferably round or perhaps an aviator style, perhaps in titanium.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Single vision or varifocals?

single

Master
    Honestly I just wear Oakleys and thats it. Both sunnies and prescription its always Oakleys. I’ve not been happy with any others over 25 years.

Pick a frame you like that friends/family agree suit your face, show your opticians the frames on-line or email them with a link get them to fit the appropriate lens that you want, I have 3 different styles all varifocal, my summer pair is an old pair of Ray ban Clubmasters that I picked up off eBay and had prescription tinted lenses fitted.
    Good luck,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Single vision makes it simpler, so I would stick with mail order.

I have titanium rimless with flexible arms, which makes getting them on with a crash helmet easier, but the Ti bit is little more than a bit of bent wire. As they are varifocals and have reactolite coating, and Pentax lenses they cost £440, which was an outrage. They don't look expensive, not that I am trying to impress, but had they have been single vision they would have been a lot cheaper, and cheaper still online.

Fashion trends ruin the choices available. Just keep looking online.

Find a style you like and buy the frames on line. I wear glasses all the time and find that the lightest, most robust and comfortable come from recognised frame manufacturers like Alain Miki/Starck, Porsche Design, Oakley, Persol, etc.

Frames made under licence by some fashion houses seem to lack quality.

Buying frames off EBay is a no brainer. My last pair of titanium Porsche Design frames (which were shop samples) were £42 - list price £299. But make sure you get your measurements - length of frame arm, width of frame and width of bridge. Makes life a lot easier.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a couple of pairs of Lindbergh Air Titanium wire glasses. I bought them because I love the Idea of little more than a few pieces of bent wire forming the frame. They have stood the test of time in terms of design and durability.
    Last edited by JonRA; 29th May 2018 at 13:34.

Funnily enough I looked at Cubitts as well recently and, if or when I ever need to replace my buffalo horn pair, I think that's where I'll be going. Online is all very well but I think you ought to have a proper eye test every few years. I've just had mine re-tested and, as well as getting the horn pair re-done, I've also just had them glaze a pair of antique tortoiseshell frames that have been languishing in the bottom of a drawer for years (lovely things with silver hinges). I also bought a pair of Persol folding frames which I find to be really practical.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

i have had a recent test. my prescription has stayed more or less the same over the last few years even though i think i am noticing some degeneration. but thats by the by.

I found some Ray Ban frames I liked - they're a little like Wayfarers and are quite light.

I asked Boots to make up some lenses and they've been great.

Master
    Other than the really cheap stuff I've found that frames are much of a muchness - you pay for arguably "better" design and the logo. I've found little to choose in quality and durability between £70 Specsavers and £500 Gucci. Having said that I am not into extreme sports and only wear spectacles for driving........of which I do a lot.
    One difference however is that if you lose the nose pad off your Specsavers glasses or sit on them, a quick trip to the nearest branch will get you up and running again with a smile and usually no charge.
    Final tip - unless you have a PhD in narcissism it is always best to take partner/friend/well-meaning other, with you when choosing spectacles. They will tell you that those Elton John specs just don't suit the shape of your eyebrows.

Craftsman
    I've just started wearing glasses this year. Initially I just thought I'd need reading glasses but my optician said there is a significant difference between my two eyes and one is compensating for the other so he suggested progressive (digital) lenses which I now wear all the time. They took a while to get used to but now I feel out of sorts if I don't wear them.
    I went for some Tom Ford which they had in store but then I noticed they stocked Oliver Peoples which look very smart, so I have a pair of O'Malleys too. Cubitts look great and well priced, I'm sure I'll pick up a pair in the future. I'm also fond of the Moscot Lemtosh for a retro look.
    Last edited by Cinch; 29th May 2018 at 16:26.

+1 for Specsavers. There seems to be one in every High Street. If you want to buy an expensive pair, then get a pair of the cheapest nastiest frames with single vision lenses for about £25, they will then give you a golden ticket allowing you 50% of your next pair, order the expensive ones there and then. Or buy one get one free if you want a spare pair.

Asda.
    Amazing value.
    No hard sales push.
    Brilliant.

This year, in anticipation of my eye test, and having a private healthcare policy which allows me to claim £145 every two years for optical purposes, I started shopping around early, and discovered Lindberg frames.

There is an independent optician in nearby Lymington who is a Lindberg AD, so having perused the website and decided that the Titanium and Buffalo Horn frames fitted the bill, I set off eagerly to see them in the metal and horn, as it were.

One of the first things I noticed was the price tag, which appeared to show £1,295 and upon enquiring I was assured that yes, this actually was the price, and no, it didn't include lenses. As you need varifocals, sir, these will be a further £495.

Oh.

Undeterred, I went to another Lindberg stockist, and chanced upon a pair of acetate and titanium frames, which were exquisitely light, fitted nicely, and were priced at £296. I preferred these to the identical frames which were priced at £397.

I had my eyes tested at Costco, the Southampton branch having supplied my previous glasses, and who had said that they could glaze my own frames with nothing less that ultra-thin Zeiss lenses with anti-glare, anti-reflective and scratch resistant coatings for £225. In my head I had set a budget of £500, so the net cost to me of my pair of Zeiss lensed Lindberg framed glasses was £355 after the contribution from my healthcare policy.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    Ive used misterspex online for a couple of years now & been really impressed with the service and pricing.

Particularly like trying the frames on at home & returning some / all of them. Saves having a pesky optician telling you what they think suits you.

Currently got a few pairs on New Wayfarer made into both normal and sunglasses. I found the prescription New Wayfarer frame slightly too small, so went for the sunglass frame. Plus they send them out with the original lenses as back up should you revert to contact lenses / surgery in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My wife's a Dispensing Optician and so is interested in me having the right specs.

I need some for reading and computer work (which, for my sins, is my line of work) and have one pair specifically for reading and a second for working on computers, these have a bit more of a depth of field.

I ended up with a pair of titanium Mercedes Benz branded specs for computer work as they were both quite stylish (I thought and she agreed they suited me) and also very light - I hate wearing specs, even sunglasses, so the least intrusion they present the better for me!

I wouldn't have gone out looking for a Mercedes Benz branded pair of specs (I don't really like their cars generally, so it's not a case of associating with the brand!), but these just worked for me.

What I would say, though, is there's no substitute for trying frames on - Some that I thought would be great, either looked or felt (or both!) awful on!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 29th May 2018 at 17:02.

Craftsman
    Interested to see a couple of mentions of Lindberg frames already. I thought they were a well kept secret. I’ve three pairs in different colours. So light you barely know they’re there.

My local independent optician stocks Silhouette (Austrian) frames. Don't know how widely available they are but excellent quality if you can find them.

Had them glazed with Seiko variofocals - again never hear much of these but a brand I trust!

Blog Entries
    I have a pair of Lindberg Air Titanium Rim specs. Eyewatering expensive and the quality is simply sh*t.

I bought mine at a Dutch high-end dealer and they were "... really surprised to hear that the spectacles weren't up to my expectations. No-one else had these problems..." In short: glass falls out. And how can I replace it without my glasses on my nose? Exactly, with a watchmaker's loupe! The nose pieces from soft silicone come off. Not once or twice but four times now. The silicone patches at the end of the feathers (or how are these items called) behind the ears come off... Never a Lindberg again.

My previous specs were from Saville Row Eyewear, from the same dealer. A 'rimless' design. I had those for 15 yrs. Only replacing the glasses every two, three years. Despite the flimsy-ish, minimalistic design, these specs performed perfectly all those years. But I wanted something different... Big mistake.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Funnily enough I looked at Cubitts as well recently and, if or when I ever need to replace my buffalo horn pair, I think that's where I'll be going. Online is all very well but I think you ought to have a proper eye test every few years. I've just had mine re-tested and, as well as getting the horn pair re-done, I've also just had them glaze a pair of antique tortoiseshell frames that have been languishing in the bottom of a drawer for years (lovely things with silver hinges). I also bought a pair of Persol folding frames which I find to be really practical.
    Did you get your buffalo horn ones from Cubitts? I have a buffalo horn pair from Lindberg with titanium sides and love them as they are very light and comfortable, although they could be a bit smaller for my face. Wouldn't buy from Lindberg again as in the last five years prices have rocketed, so was considering the likes of Cubitts to have them made.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    This year, in anticipation of my eye test, and having a private healthcare policy which allows me to claim £145 every two years for optical purposes, I started shopping around early, and discovered Lindberg frames.

There is an independent optician in nearby Lymington who is a Lindberg AD, so having perused the website and decided that the Titanium and Buffalo Horn frames fitted the bill, I set off eagerly to see them in the metal and horn, as it were.

One of the first things I noticed was the price tag, which appeared to show £1,295 and upon enquiring I was assured that yes, this actually was the price, and no, it didn't include lenses. As you need varifocals, sir, these will be a further £495.

Oh.
    Exactly. When I bought my Lindberg buffalo horn a d titanium frames five years ago they were closer to 500, and my lenses cost more anyway so I thought they were a good deal. Love them but wouldn't buy again due to the price rises.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    My local independent optician stocks Silhouette (Austrian) frames. Don't know how widely available they are but excellent quality if you can find them.

Had them glazed with Seiko variofocals - again never hear much of these but a brand I trust!
    Those are good. As are the similarly styled Mykita, nice designs.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    Interested to see a couple of mentions of Lindberg frames already. I thought they were a well kept secret. I’ve three pairs in different colours. So light you barely know they’re there.
    Sadly no longer, Lindberg take full page adverts in the FT and their prices have increased hugely.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Did you get your buffalo horn ones from Cubitts? I have a buffalo horn pair from Lindberg with titanium sides and love them as they are very light and comfortable, although they could be a bit smaller for my face. Wouldn't buy from Lindberg again as in the last five years prices have rocketed, so was considering the likes of Cubitts to have them made.
    No. I bought them in Ho Chi Minh City (a few doors down from the Norfolk hotel) about 10 or 11 years ago. I didn't even need spectacles at the time so had them glazed as sunglasses until I needed them. If I remember correctly they also had real tortoiseshell.

My wife has a pair of Lindbergs which cost a small fortune (admittedly her prescription is vastly more complicated than mine) and she has experienced most of the issues reported by Menno. To be fair her opticians in Berlin haven't charged for the, in my view, excessive level of maintenance they seem to require.

I got through dozens of cheap glasses & they all broke quite quickly so then I decided to try my local Cutler & Gross here in Bath & after the initial shock of the cost I couldn’t be happier. Great quality Italian acrylic frames, state of the art eye test & top quality lenses, plus they look fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Find a style you like and buy the frames on line. I wear glasses all the time and find that the lightest, most robust and comfortable come from recognised frame manufacturers like Alain Miki/Starck, Porsche Design, Oakley, Persol, etc.

Frames made under licence by some fashion houses seem to lack quality.

Buying frames off EBay is a no brainer. My last pair of titanium Porsche Design frames (which were shop samples) were £42 - list price £299. But make sure you get your measurements - length of frame arm, width of frame and width of bridge. Makes life a lot easier.
    Nearly all frames marked with the brands you list (Oakley,persol,etc) are either made by or owned by one company, Luxottica.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE]My wife has a pair of Lindbergs which cost a small fortune (admittedly her prescription is vastly more complicated than mine) and she has experienced most of the issues reported by Menno. To be fair her opticians in Berlin haven't charged for the, in my view, excessive level of maintenance they seem to require./QUOTE]

Sort of contradiction, but I am happy to read about your wife's problems with Lindberg. I was made to believe (...) that I was the only one! I must say that the Lindberg dealer solves the problems FoC, every time again.

I didn't mention the flimsy sunglasses option offered by Lindberg. A very lightweight structure with two hooks that you have to attach on the 'corners' of the frame. Guess what!? When I take my glasses off to put the sunglasses add-on on the frame, I can't see what I'm doing! It's not for the 'looks' that I wear glasses! Stupid solution - and certainly not worth the stack of money they ask you for it.

Then the lenses... I wear Essilor vario-focals. In essence a great solution. I don't have a problem with the vario-focals. Only when I go down the stairs. That's really something you should try! The stairway forms a problem -especially when it has a pattern of rubber dots. I have to 'guestimate' every step when I go downstairs! Same goes for the single step from the pavement to the road! But, that can be a personal problem and not a generic problem of vario-focals. I will not blame the dealer for that.

My main concern with Essilor is the under-par quality of their lens-coating. The anti-glare layer tends to come off over the years. Finally it looks as if your glasses were picked up from the Death Sea (salt) and that you put them on your nose without cleaning... Then the "yes but..." reasons come in. I wear my glasses on the boat / salt water. Sometimes, the spats of salt water land on the glasses. "Salt water, you shouldn't..." Next: "Oh you use a paper towel to clean your specs!? Oh you shouldn't... there's always a trace of wood chips in paper towels - that will scratch the surface of the lenses"

Weil, you didn't tell me when I handed you more than 1k euros for the whole contraption, did you!

Seiko is perhaps a better option next time.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Seiko is perhaps a better option next time.
    Menno
    Of course, Seiko do optics as well. There are other alternatives...

I wonder if these are made by Luxottica as well?

Master
    +1 for oakleys. I find ear hooks on most glasses to irritate my skin so the straight 'librarian?' style arms that oakley seems to specialise in suit me to a tee.
    They have dropped off in quality though - I have a pair of prescription sunglass big square wires that are coming up for 14 years old but my last pair of non prescription lenses stripped a screw thread after only 5 years. My current pair has lasted 3 years without mishap.
    My prescription is now changing and I find that both pairs will need replacing soon. Places like RX Sport online, where I've bought before, are very good and ridiculously cheap compared to the high street.

On a related note has anyone tried transitions XRTActive, apparently they darken behind a car windscreen and are clear enough to use as every day glasses too, this would be a godsend for me. If they work as advertised though.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    For the last few years I've always bought cheapies online. They are fine, but they are cheapies and this time id like to try something quality, well made and that will last me a long time.
    If I ever go into a high street shop, i struggle to find anything that i like.
    Some brief googling has brought up cubitts, which looks interesting.
    Any other ideas?
    I'm after large lenses, preferably round or perhaps an aviator style, perhaps in titanium.
    I picked up a pair of Cubitts yesterday (Judds in matt amber)

They are very nice - I particularly like the fact the arms have a metal spine. They feel good quality all-round - the Soho branch staff were very helpful. Im very pleased so far.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I have a pair of Lindberg Air Titanium Rim specs. Eyewatering expensive and the quality is simply sh*t.

I bought mine at a Dutch high-end dealer and they were "... really surprised to hear that the spectacles weren't up to my expectations. No-one else had these problems..." In short: glass falls out. And how can I replace it without my glasses on my nose? Exactly, with a watchmaker's loupe! The nose pieces from soft silicone come off. Not once or twice but four times now. The silicone patches at the end of the feathers (or how are these items called) behind the ears come off... Never a Lindberg again.

My previous specs were from Saville Row Eyewear, from the same dealer. A 'rimless' design. I had those for 15 yrs. Only replacing the glasses every two, three years. Despite the flimsy-ish, minimalistic design, these specs performed perfectly all those years. But I wanted something different... Big mistake.

Menno
    That’s tough! I’ve been wearing these for a while - 3 pairs over 10+ years and I’ve had none of these issues.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    That’s tough! I’ve been wearing these for a while - 3 pairs over 10+ years and I’ve had none of these issues.
    That's why I relieved (well, can one be happy for something like that?) that mrs Carlton-Brown has had the same issues with hers. I'll be off to the shop next week to have the silicon tips that slide over the curved ends of the feathers, replaced. They're coming off...

Master
    I sell Lindbergs - mainly spirit rimless and NOW acetate. On the whole they're pretty good but yes we do get breakages occasionally. The NOW ones tend to snap across the rims and the rimless come unglued from the lenses. The latter tends to be the same people more than once, usually men to be fair. It must be in the handling as if you flex the joint enough the fancy UV activated glue they use to avoid plugs (like Silhouette) does break. Silhouettes are more durable but a little less neat.
    The end tips and nose pads are designed to be consumables on any frame as they tend to be the part that comes into contact with the sweaty oiks beautiful patients. Any supplier should replace them FOC. Be aware there is more than one material for the nose pads. Some prefer silicone as they are soft but they are sticky. Drives me mad personally so I choose the harder plastic. If the pads keep coming off the metal loop they clip into needs tightening a little, easy with a needle set of pliers.
    Also worth considering are Minima, silhouette as mentioned and some of the Stepper rimless stuff.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, our optician has always treated the Lindberg nose pads and silicone arm slip as disposables and replaced them free when needed. I'm still a fan - though still using a pair that I bought around 10 years ago - the prices were ok then.

+1 for Asda ..Great service ,Good aftersale service and no pressure to buy..

Little update. I found a vintage specs dealer near me and went and tried on some algha NOS gold rims. Great fit and very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Little update. I found a vintage specs dealer near me and went and tried on some algha NOS gold rims. Great fit and very happy.
    On a recent visit to Spitalfields Market I was amused to see a stall selling “vintage” specs. Most of his stock was 1960s/70s/80s National Health frames. As a teenager I had a pair of National Health specs as a backup and well remember my parents’ warning that if I didn’t look after my good specs I’d have to wear the NatHealth ones and face the stigma that went with them.

Anyway, I now know that people apparently pay 80-odd quid plus the cost of glazing to wear specs that we associated with poor kids from council estates when I was at school.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    On a recent visit to Spitalfields Market I was amused to see a stall selling “vintage” specs. Most of his stock was 1960s/70s/80s National Health frames. As a teenager I had a pair of National Health specs as a backup and well remember my parents’ warning that if I didn’t look after my good specs I’d have to wear the NatHealth ones and face the stigma that went with them.

Anyway, I now know that people apparently pay 80-odd quid plus the cost of glazing to wear specs that we associated with poor kids from council estates when I was at school.
    That was when you could buy a milsub for a hundred quid. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    On a recent visit to Spitalfields Market I was amused to see a stall selling “vintage” specs. Most of his stock was 1960s/70s/80s National Health frames.
    I hope that a fair few of them were held together at the bridge by a piece of sticking plaster.

Craftsman
    Rather than start a new thread, this is probably as good a place as any to ask.... so online opticians...

I have been coveting some Tom Ford glasses from vision express, £300 for frames, plus extra for lens.

Less than half the price from online retailers... do any of you have experience with these guys :

https://www.opticiansdirect.co.uk

or

https://www.edel-optics.co.uk

Best regards,
    Chris

You should try Starck glasses, they are great build and they have a unique hinge, almost like a ball and socket arrangement..

https://www.eyeacademy.com/starck-eyes

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Asda.
    Amazing value.
    No hard sales push.
    Brilliant.
    The Asda glasses for computer work I had were perect, but thier varifocals were rubbish and despite them having 2 tries at providing them I ended going elsewhere. I suspect it was down to the inexperienced staff.

Master
    Well I just coughed up nearly £300 for a pair of Oakleys from Boots .

However I did get them late afternoon same day I ordered and I have to say so far they are pretty much perfect.

A small update from here. My optician has managed to pack my buffalo horn frames so poorly they are now broken . I have started a conversation about what he proposes to do about it but it begs two questions:

1. Does anybody know how easy it is to glue buffalo horn and is it likely to have much chance of success.

2. Any obvious and good value sources for buffalo horn frame? Earlier in the year I recall reading that Cubitts were offering ready-to-wear buffalo horn for about £300ish but I note from their website that it's now bespoke only and starting at about £625 (presumably it was all too good to be true). I found this outfit (https://pennavenueeyewear.com/buffalo-horn) and wonder if there are any others (and preferably within the EU).

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Those are good. As are the similarly styled Mykita, nice designs.
    Highly recommend Silhouette!

I've worn them for around 11 years now. Gone through 2 pairs in that time. High quality build. Would advise pairing with either Zeiss or Hoya lens. Overall not cheap, each pair came to around £550 but they are worth it, given they are sized to your specific requirements too, not simply 'off the shelf'.

Journeyman
    Go to Specsavers, and absolutely max out on every feature of the lenses. That's the most important part, and what you see through every day.

Extra thin
    Extra light
    Anti reflective is a must!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ontological View Post
    Go to Specsavers, and absolutely max out on every feature of the lenses. That's the most important part, and what you see through every day.

Extra thin
    Extra light
    Anti reflective is a must!
    I'd argue doing that entirely defeats the USP of SS.
    They use their own lenses, well reworked versions of other peoples under their own brand names,they own the Pentax name for instance. So you don't really know what you are buying and whether it will be available again if you do like it. Its a bit like buying new Daewoo and finding out its just a rebadged previous generation vauxhall astra. Judging by quotes coming in from SS when you max their features their lenses get as pricey as other, more transparent places. Transparent as in you will be told which manufacturer makes them and which model it is in their range.
    MAR coatings yes, thin and light, well only if it actually makes a difference to your spectacles as other wise they will look the same and cost you more. Also high index materials perform less well so again don't have them unless the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
    If you want good lenses, and I'd wholeheartedly agree that they are the important part, there are better ways to spend your money. If you want ok stuff at a good price then SS would be well worth a look.

Master
    Just had my eye test at boots and bought a pair of Oakley fuller 55’s with top spec essilor transitions xtractive lenses. Test was £25 and the glasses were £265 from rx sport so all in for under £300.
    The frames and basic lenses were £250 in boots. So transitions, AR, anti scratch and thin high index lenses cost me £15