closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ketosis

Craftsman

Ketosis

I was in a judo comp this weekend and two weeks ago, I was 5kg over my weight category.

Decided to give ketosis a proper try and stick to it until the competition and am amazed at how well this worked.
    I lost 5kg (11 pounds) in just under 2 weeks.

Its actually harder than you think to find food and drink without any carbs in them.

I just thought I would share as I have never stuck to any kind of diet in my life, I enjoy eating too much :)
    But this as a 2 week cycle every now and then, I think is do-able. There was a bit in the middle of it, they call the keto flu, where you suffer with being tired and having no energy. Once thats gone its all good.

Has anyone else done this for a longer period?
    I am off it now, after the comp I had a dirty big chinese meal and some beer. But I would certainly consider doing it again.

Makes your breath stink too...

Also, I knew a lad once who tried it, convinced himself that if he just had vodka and coke instead of beer them it wouldn't beat the ketosis. It did. The tit.

Great result and two -four weeks is quite doable (not easy but not the end of the world either).
    The biggest problem I find -and anecdotally so do many others- is the monster and inordinately reluctant to 'leave home' poos :o×

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

You are just losing the initial water from your cells from depleting carbs - initial weight loss should be huge, but it doesn’t continue.

It’s not down to ketosis!

11lbs in 2 weeks would require a real life reduction of calories, or additional expenditure, of 38,000 calories - so... just not possible really for the average person.
    It's just a matter of time...

I thought a ketogenic diet was long term. It takes a period of time for the body to adjust to this.
    The body then functions on protein and fats for energy, the liver produces ketones, fat doesn’t get stored, insulin production reduces because carbs have been totally eradicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan007 View Post
    I thought a ketogenic diet was long term. It takes a period of time for the body to adjust to this.
    The body then functions on protein and fats for energy, the liver produces ketones, fat doesn’t get stored, insulin production reduces because carbs have been totally eradicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This is my thinking. It takes time to get your body to shift to a ketogenic state. You can take exogenous ketones to accelerate the process but two weeks is far too short

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I've been doing Keto since Jan , I have good weeks and bad weeks but worse week I put on 2 lbs only to lose 8 the next week, every other week I have lost weight. Have a health issue which makes exercise and even walking difficult so gained a ton of weight in last 18 months or so . Health issue is still there but not having to carry the weight it a big help

Craftsman
    I will add that when in Ketosis the body is very wasteful, its burning body fat and dietary fat for energy and turning said energy into ketones for the body to use but it wastes these ketones via the breath (Stinky pear drops smelling breath on ketosis) and in the urine (which is how most people measure ketone levels) this is why ketosis works faster and not like most calories in/calories out diets because you can eat more in terms of total calories and still lose weight

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    You are just losing the initial water from your cells from depleting carbs - initial weight loss should be huge, but it doesn’t continue.

It’s not down to ketosis!

11lbs in 2 weeks would require a real life reduction of calories, or additional expenditure, of 38,000 calories - so... just not possible really for the average person.
    This, just a lot of water and glycogen depletion.

Master
    back in the mists of time I weighed a stunning 26 stone (i'm 6'2) I decided to try the 'Atkins diet' and lost 12 stone in a year and a half, I also switched from a sedentary job to one involving more activity and took up mountain biking, culminating in doing the c2c in 3 days.
    However another change in job / circumstance meant the diet was not maintainable and last year I was back to 24 stone. I'm now following a slightly less rabid 'low sugar / carb' diet and am visiting the gym at least 3 times a week, usually more and have lost 2 stone so far this year.
    So from personal experience it can be an excellent way of losing weight, but, if you stop you do gain back pretty quickly (or at least I did). I'd certainly recommend anyone who it looking to lose weight to investigate lowering their carb / sugar intake.

I have certainly done low carb and it does work, but it's not that healthy or sustainable, for a quick fix it works.

I am in the middle of an 'eight week transformation' at present. I went to see a nutritionalist who tailored a plan for me which focusses around a 250 calorie a day under-eat; but most importantly, hitting 'Macro's' for essential key nutrients; ie. Protein, Carbs and Fats. To hit these Macro's it has forced me to pretty much quit booze and eat extremely cleanly. But I am never hungry, never fatigued, feel great and have dropped a waist size in just over a fortnight. For me this is by far the best diet I have done. I am less worried about weight loss and my target is to get to 10% body fat. I really think this is the best way to lose weight healthily.

Yumma - what you're doing is without doubt the best way to lose weight, every other way of doing it will have some form of significant downside.

I went from 12.5 stone to 10 stone dead over a 12 month period by keeping a steady deficit throughout and weights training 5 times a week to retain what muscle I had. After 6 months it became incredibly grueling but that's mainly because I have such a a low maintenance level of calories due to my slim frame/body, so putting a deficit on that equates to not very much food. Losing weight at faster rate would have wrecked my hormones, much easier to run big caloric deficits if you're actually fat to start with, which I wasn't particularly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I have certainly done low carb and it does work, but it's not that healthy or sustainable, for a quick fix it works.

I am in the middle of an 'eight week transformation' at present. I went to see a nutritionalist who tailored a plan for me which focusses around a 250 calorie a day under-eat; but most importantly, hitting 'Macro's' for essential key nutrients; ie. Protein, Carbs and Fats. To hit these Macro's it has forced me to pretty much quit booze and eat extremely cleanly. But I am never hungry, never fatigued, feel great and have dropped a waist size in just over a fortnight. For me this is by far the best diet I have done. I am less worried about weight loss and my target is to get to 10% body fat. I really think this is the best way to lose weight healthily.
    What essential Carbs are there ?

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    What essential Carbs are there ?
    Chips?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

What % of each Macro are you on and whats the total Calories a day? Macros are the key not diet

Craftsman
    I've been practically carb free for the last 13 months since being diagnosed with diabetes... initial weight loss was substantial over the first 4 months, then it leveled out, now it is starting to creep up. I went from 115kg, down to 95kg, now I'm 99kg but determined not to go over 100!

The initial month or so was tough (bread and sugar in particular!) but I am used to it now and find it quite easy to follow and I'm very strict.

I feel much better for it though (and I've effectively reversed the diabeties without medication). I just need to try and cut down on the amount of nuts I snack on and of course excercise more.

There are a few livesavers I can recommend as a good carb replacement - packet cauli rice (great with spicy food to mask the cauliflower taste!) and Barenaked noodles/rice
    Last edited by jimyu; 30th May 2018 at 17:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    I've been practically carb free for the last 13 months since being diagnosed with diabetes... initial weight loss was substantial over the first 4 months, then it leveled out, now it is starting to creep up. I went from 115kg, down to 95kg, now I'm 99kg but determined not to go over 100!

The initial month or so was tough (bread and sugar in particular!) but I am used to it now and find it quite easy to follow and I'm very strict.

I feel much better for it though (and I've effectively reversed the diabeties without medication). I just need to try and cut down on the amount of nuts I snack on and of course excercise more.

There are a few livesavers I can recommend as a good carb replacement - packet cauli rice (great with spicy food to mask the cauliflower taste!) and Barenaked noodles/rice
    Were you diagnosed as Type 2?

What was your hb1ac at the start and now

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    I am less worried about weight loss and my target is to get to 10% body fat. I really think this is the best way to lose weight healthily.
    10% is really lean. Most top level athletes dip into single digit % if I remember correctly

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Were you diagnosed as Type 2?

What was your hb1ac at the start and now

Yes type 2...67 down to 37

Master
    Yes type 2...67 down to 37
    In the words of Jake Peralta "Noice"

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    What % of each Macro are you on and whats the total Calories a day? Macros are the key not diet
    I’m on around 210g of carbs, 190g protein and 75g fats, all within 2260 calories on a training day, or 2050 calories on a rest day. It’s approx 40/35/25% respectively. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    10% is really lean. Most top level athletes dip into single digit % if I remember correctly
    Yes, I’ve been around 12% before so would like to get pretty shredded if I can.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Makes your breath stink too...
    It does indeed. Plus I found the constant “metallic” taste in the mouth quite unpleasant too. I did this for several weeks a few years ago. Impressive weight loss (can’t remember the figures, been a while) but unsustainable as afterwards my weight got back to the previous level pretty soon.

I’m on around 210g of carbs, 190g protein and 75g fats, all within 2260 calories on a training day, or 2050 calories on a rest day. It’s approx 40/35/25% respectively. Hope this helps.

Thanks, that looks good, it's hardly a crash diet and pretty healthy to be fair. Slow and steady wins the race!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Chips?
    ...and stroopwafels

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    ...and stroopwafels
    To be fair, as long as my daily calories are around 2260 and I hit my Macro's I can eat whatever carbs I want, so Stroopwaffles, Cake and Chips aren't off the menu. This is without doubt the best diet I have ever done; although A) It's more a healthy eating regime rather than a diet; and B) I've never done a proper proscribed diet before!

Generally it is easier to eat low GI complex carbs than refined high sugar carbs as these are less calorie dense.

One thing I would like to add which I hope may be helpful to anyone is to download the App 'MyFitnessPal'

Once you get off the Ketosis diet or any crash diet this can really help you find a balanced healthy way of eating.

It is a superb free App, its a little bit of a faff to start as you do need to weigh some food and record what you eat but well worth persevering with, it quickly learns what you eat, so if brekkie is the same day after day you can swipe right to enter todays brekkie the same as yesterdays, or copy across from another date, it also remembers all your foods entered and records what you often have as accompaniments so if your weekly meals are similar it speeds up logging. You can set targets for weight loss, maintaining weight or weight gain and it'll tell you what Macro's and calories you'll need from there. It really is very good, well worth a free download and a little perseverance.

If anyone wants to download the app and wants to connect with me to see what I am eating/recording my MFP profile is yumma01.

Hope this helps.

I lost a stone in 6 weeks by reducing carbs / sugar and eating a lot of fish and berries (and I was only a little overwieght). I didn't want to cut out carbs completely because of the potential breath issues, plus it's hard!

I was probably still having about 100g carbs in a day but I moved to "better" carbs; wholemeal bread, oat cakes, low carb fruit, lentils or quinoa instead of rice / pasta.

I had a lot more of the following foods:

- Fish fillets - bass, cod, haddock
    - Tinned mackerel in tomato sauce
    - Berries - strawberries / raspberries / blueberries (amongst the lowest carb / calorie / sugar fruit), a bowl full after lunch / dinner with a couple of desert spoons of low fat natural yoghurt
    - Cauliflower rice - a bit plain but I mixed in some chopped up cucumber / tomato
    - Lentils (inc curried)
    - Quinoa
    - Plums (lower carb fruit)
    - Quorn sausages
    - Chicken breast
    - Salad with balsamic vinegar
    - Cottage cheese with pineapple
    - Low fat flavoured homous
    - Eggs
    - Bacon medallions
    - Rump steak

We've started shipping at Aldi because you can get healthy foods like the above for very reasonable prices (we're on a tight budget since moving house). E.g. a 1kg pack of frozen berries is £2.39.

I've never found losing weight so easy and I'm enjoying the healthier foods.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 1st June 2018 at 20:51.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    I lost a stone in 6 weeks by reducing carbs / sugar and eating a lot of fish and berries (and I was only a little overwieght). I didn't want to cut out carbs completely because of the potential breath issues, plus it's hard!

I was probably still having about 100g carbs in a day but I moved to "better" carbs; wholemeal bread, oat cakes, low carb fruit, lentils or quinoa instead of rice / pasta.

We've started shipping at Aldi because you can get healthy foods like the above for very reasonable prices (we're on a tight budget since moving house). E.g. a 1kg pack of frozen berries is £2.39.

Well done on that, terrific. I too shop at Aldi and it's great. I get their frozen berries too, great in overnight oats soaked in unsweetened Almond Milk (also from Aldi's) a great cheap nutritionally balance brekkie; especially if you add a scoop of vanilla flavoured protein isolate powder.

If you ever get bored of cauli rice, I'd suggest roasting cauli instead, just dress in a tiny amount of light oil and roast large florets/1/4's for around 25 minutes, I love it as it takes on a bit more texture and a slightly nutty taste. It's a good low carb option instead of spuds. The Aldi wholemeal Rye bread is awesome too, my go-to lunch is two slices toasted, with wilted spinach and 3 poached eggs, again well balanced and all under 400 calories.

Craftsman
    - Berries - strawberries / raspberries / blueberries (amongst the lowest carb / calorie / sugar fruit), a bowl full after lunch / dinner with a couple of desert spoons of low fat natural yoghurt
    Ditch the low fat yoghurt, I can guarantee it will be higher carb than full fat. I eat either full fat greek yoghurt or Alpro Almond which has lower carbs than any yoghurt I have found

Another lower carb option is Edamame Spaghetti/noodles - they are a bit carby for me (I try to keep under 30g per day) so rarely have them but they are lovely

keep it up :)

Yes, I’ve been around 12% before so would like to get pretty shredded if I can.
    How are you measuring body fat? I’m less interested in weight, BMI etc but percentage body fat monitoring would motivate me to train harder / eat better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    How are you measuring body fat? I’m less interested in weight, BMI etc but percentage body fat monitoring would motivate me to train harder / eat better.
    I know the question isn’t directed at me but at my gym, they have a Boditrax machine which does a body scan and determines composition (and lots of other things). I also have weighing scales at home that perform such functions, though not as accurate or comprehensive as Boditrax. You can spend more and get better scales that are more accurate and with more features.

Master

I had a lot more of the following foods:

- Fish fillets - bass, cod, haddock
    - Tinned mackerel in tomato sauce
    - Cauliflower rice - a bit plain but I mixed in some chopped up cucumber / tomato
    - Lentils (inc curried)
    - Quinoa
    - Plums (lower carb fruit)
    - Quorn sausages
    - Chicken breast
    - Salad with balsamic vinegar
    - Cottage cheese with pineapple
    - Low fat flavoured homous
    - Eggs
    - Bacon medallions
    - Rump steak

Quark is a lot better than cottage cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I know the question isn’t directed at me but at my gym, they have a Boditrax machine which does a body scan and determines composition (and lots of other things). I also have weighing scales at home that perform such functions, though not as accurate or comprehensive as Boditrax. You can spend more and get better scales that are more accurate and with more features.
    You must go to a fancier gym than me mate!

Master
    You must go to a fancier gym than me mate!
    Not really ... £24/month including swimming pool (that I never use btw) is cheap for suburban London.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Not really ... £24/month including swimming pool (that I never use btw) is cheap for suburban London.
    That is cheap for London. I pay ca. £15 a month but that’s only because the local council gym thinks “working for the university = student”

Master
    That is cheap for London. I pay ca. £15 a month but that’s only because the local council gym thinks “working for the university = student”
    Mine also includes a ~ £5 discount due to subscribing via employer’s benefits but even the full price of £29/£30 is great vfm for gym, classes, pool, sauna, steam room. Just a few years ago there were no gyms within walking distance of my home but so many have sprung up recently and the competition has driven prices down.

Well done on that, terrific. I too shop at Aldi and it's great. I get their frozen berries too, great in overnight oats soaked in unsweetened Almond Milk (also from Aldi's) a great cheap nutritionally balance brekkie; especially if you add a scoop of vanilla flavoured protein isolate powder.

If you ever get bored of cauli rice, I'd suggest roasting cauli instead, just dress in a tiny amount of light oil and roast large florets/1/4's for around 25 minutes, I love it as it takes on a bit more texture and a slightly nutty taste. It's a good low carb option instead of spuds. The Aldi wholemeal Rye bread is awesome too, my go-to lunch is two slices toasted, with wilted spinach and 3 poached eggs, again well balanced and all under 400 calories.
    Thanks! I'll have a look at those suggestions. What temperature do you cook the cauliflower at?

I am currently 19.5 stone, or 126 kegs at 6’5”. With my wedding coming up, and feeling bloated all the time, have decided to explore Keto diet.
    Trying to cut out carbs down to 20 grams but damn it’s hard as most food has carbs in it, also eating full fat is dairy is ok but goes against every other diet my missus has tried.
    My goal? I love to get to sub 100 kgs but realistically around the 110 mark.
    How do you combat the bad breath thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I am currently 19.5 stone, or 126 kegs at 6’5”. With my wedding coming up, and feeling bloated all the time, have decided to explore Keto diet.
    Trying to cut out carbs down to 20 grams but damn it’s hard as most food has carbs in it, also eating full fat is dairy is ok but goes against every other diet my missus has tried.
    My goal? I love to get to sub 100 kgs but realistically around the 110 mark.
    How do you combat the bad breath thing?
    Mints? Breath freshener?
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Mints? Breath freshener?
    Damn, I hadn’t thought of those😂

Master
    Ditch the low fat yoghurt, I can guarantee it will be higher carb than full fat. I eat either full fat greek yoghurt or Alpro Almond which has lower carbs than any yoghurt I have found

Another lower carb option is Edamame Spaghetti/noodles - they are a bit carby for me (I try to keep under 30g per day) so rarely have them but they are lovely

keep it up :)
    Ditch both types of yogurt and go cream!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Damn, I hadn’t thought of those
    Be careful with mints even sugar free ones , some will spike your hunger , others will give you the sh+ts :) The fresh breath sprays are best and smints arent bad as long as you only have a few each day but either the smell gets better over time or people get used to it as I dont notice it anymore , not after a couple of months at least

Interesting reading this - I'm doing Jason Vale's Super Blend Me plan at the moment - basically raw fruit, veg, nuts etc in a Nutribullet 3 times a day. Started on the 4th April and have lost 26lbs so far. Also gone vegan, for no other reason than there isn't any dairy or meat in the blends!

The best thing though, is that I feel the best I ever have, never hungry, and look forward to eating the blends.

It's difficult to do 3 per day sometimes with work trips, meals out etc, but 2 per day minimum is what I'm managing.

Craftsman
    I’ve lost 3 stone since the start of this year.

I had plenty to lose, just under 18 stone at 5’ 9” when I started. At my heaviest a few years ago I was just under 20 stone

Put simply I stick to 1500 calories per day while aiming for 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat for my calories

The macros aren’t rigid but is a simple low fat diet target as my wife is following slimming world which is low fat based

Now this is the first time in 10 years I’ve managed to stick to a diet for this long with these results - the reason, it’s not a diet! I really can eat what I want in terms of what foods as long as I stick to the calorie limit. Now this is within reason - you can’t have a pizza everyday but if I fancy a pizza I alter that days eating to suit and have one

Tomorrow is my birthday and I will have some cake - I will just have a smaller intake during my meals to suit

It really has changed my lifestyle and when I reach my target weight hopefully by the end of the year I will stick track what I eat but just with a maintaining calorie intake

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post

I had plenty to lose, just under 18 stone at 5’ 9” when I started. At my heaviest a few years ago I was just under 20 stone

Put simply I stick to 1500 calories per day while aiming for 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat for my calories
    low fat is not good. You need fats to produce every hormone in the body. Don't get enough and you will start to suffer the effects lower levels on a variety of things, from thyroid to testosterone.

I'd recommend upping the fat percentage and reducing the carbs.
    It's just a matter of time...

low fat is not good. You need fats to produce every hormone in the body. Don't get enough and you will start to suffer the effects lower levels on a variety of things, from thyroid to testosterone.

Does that mean more or fewer chips?

Craftsman

There is a lot of different advice around this though so who do you believe? I’m an engineer and even I struggle as many of the studies produce inconsistent results

Alongside this I am still well overweight, what about the stored fat that my body already has? Do I still need to ingest more fat?

Also this is working for me - I am fitter and lighter than I have been in probably 10 years!

The macros aren’t rigid but is a simple low fat diet target as my wife is following slimming world which is low fat based

Now this is the first time in 10 years I’ve managed to stick to a diet for this long with these results - the reason, it’s not a diet! I really can eat what I want in terms of what foods as long as I stick to the calorie limit. Now this is within reason - you can’t have a pizza everyday but if I fancy a pizza I alter that days eating to suit and have one

Tomorrow is my birthday and I will have some cake - I will just have a smaller intake during my meals to suit

It really has changed my lifestyle and when I reach my target weight hopefully by the end of the year I will stick track what I eat but just with a maintaining calorie intake
    I tip my hat Sir, really well done buddy. I know through first hand experience how hard it can be to lose a significant amount of weight, these days I'm a bit of a fitness freak and am currently looking at my Macros', yours sound pretty well spot on, you are also spot on with the cake and pizza thing too. Keep it up mate

Master
    There is a lot of different advice around this though so who do you believe? I’m an engineer and even I struggle as many of the studies produce inconsistent results

Alongside this I am still well overweight, what about the stored fat that my body already has? Do I still need to ingest more fat?

Also this is working for me - I am fitter and lighter than I have been in probably 10 years!
    You get fat from eating more calories than your body needs.

However, carbs, fat and protein get into the blood stream at different rates. The faster it gets into our blood, the sooner we have excess energy in our blood. So if we have too much energy in our blood stream it gets stored as body fat.

Carbs get dumped faster into your blood stream than fat or protein.

That's why eating 500 calories of donuts will be different in terms of eating 500 calories of salmon and asparagus in terms of body fat.